• Published 5th Nov 2018
  • 3,090 Views, 156 Comments

Five Crazy Trials to Date Pinkie Pie - B_25



Spike endures five trials to understand what intimacy with a mare is really like.

  • ...
19
 156
 3,090

IX - A Mission from Mayor Mare

~ IX ~

A Mission from Mayor Mare

“The mayor can't see you now.”

“Mayor Mare lost her vision?” Pinkie said from my side. “That's horrible!”

“Yeah,” I said, nodding. “Will she be alright?”

“There's... nothing wrong with her vision.” The mare behind the desk blinked, seated next to the doors leading into the office. “She's just very busy at the moment. She doesn't really, you know, take sudden appointments.” She blinked. “Perhaps you would like to try booking one?”

“Listen, lady. We're not looking to sit down and chat with her.” I pointed to the tray in my claw. “We just wanna give her coffee before it goes lukewarm.”

“I'm not sure I'm allowed to do that.”

Pinkie opened her mouth, stepping forward, but I put my claw in front of her. “Alright, you got me. This isn't a simply coffee delivery.”

The sectary narrowed her eyes.

“This cup of coffee is from Princess Twilight Sparkle herself.” I cleared my throat and let my gaze sweep across the room. I wasn't looking for anyone; I was just pretending to be important. “And along with it is an urgent issue. One that can't leave a trail behind.”

The sectary opened her mouth.

“Now you get me?” I nodded toward the door. “So how about we walk in there, give the mayor this cup of coffee, and then we'll be on our way, alright?”

The sectary slowly nodded her head. She looked down at a stack of papers, not reading a line on the pages, but making herself appear busy. I appreciated her dedication and felt only a tad guilty about my lies. Which was better than usual.

Pinkie and I walked together toward the door. Pushing and holding it open, I let her walk past me, smiling as I did so. Here I thought I was being smooth, but she only frowned as she came next to me.

“Those cups of coffee weren't really from Twilight,” Pinkie whispered, tilting her head. “She wasn't even there when we bought them?” She gazed up at me. “Did you just lie to that mare? That wasn't nice if you did.”

“So what? No harm means no foul.” I looked down the small hall, seeing it lead into the mayor's office. She was sitting in the distance, head down and a quill in her hooves. “White lies are okay from time to time.”

“You shouldn't lie, Spike.”

“And why shouldn't I?” Pinkie was frowning at me, her eyes becoming a tad watery. “We tried telling that mare the truth and where did it get us? Not allowed inside. All we wanted to do was give the mayor some coffee—what's wrong with that?”

“But we should have respected her wishes and found someone else to give that coffee too.” Pinkie raised an eyebrow slightly. “Do you... do you lie often, Spike?”

“Only when I have to,” I replied. “And only when it doesn't really matter. Besides, this wasn't the mayor's wish: it was some mare's.” I gave her my best fake smile. “Now get rid of the final coffee and get on with our date.”

Pinkie nodded her head. But she wouldn't look at me. She kept walking forward, looking forward, almost listening forward the whole time. She could sense it. I know she could. I was taking control of the situation, letting my twisted sense of logic rule over the subsequent course of action.

I was always great for figuring a situation out. My issue was getting into one to begin with.

I could be decent at life—if I ever got into one.

“How humiliating!” I looked up as we entered the office. Mayor Mare was hunched over, using a stamp to stamp papers. “Why must I endure such menial work? Sensitive material, they say. Only for my eyes, they say.” She blew air out her lips. “Could just give my stamp away... nopony would know...”

“We would.” Mayor's muzzle rose to me as I came to her desk. I offered her a smile and a coffee. “Luckily we don't care.” I held my claw to her muzzle. “Want a coffee?”

“You are... too kind.” Mayor took the cup with both hooves. “It's Spike, correct? The charge of Twilight Sparkle?”

“I'm still known at all?” I untied the pouch from around my waist, dumping its contents on the table. “Help yourself to the rest. It looks like you need a little pick me up.”

“Little is not a sufficient word at all.” Mayor Mare tilted her head. “I must offer my apologies, but I do not recall having an appointment booked with the either of you two.” Her eyes settled next to me. “And it is good to see you again, Pinkie.”

“You as well, Mayor!” Pinkie came along to the mare's side, throwing a hoof around her neck and pulling her in for a hug. The mayor didn't struggle, consenting to the hug, nuzzling Pinkie's neck. “I'm sorry you're having to work super hard though.”

“Part of the title.” Mayor Mare pulled out from the hug. She pushed her glasses up. “Meaningful work will always be hard, but it will forever be worth the trouble.”

“Unless you're having to sign a release about a sprinkler system.”

The mayor looked over to me, where I'd come to the side of the office. “Not all parts of the work are meaningful, but I'm afraid it all tends to be a combined package.” She smiled in a bittersweet way. “No picking and choosing.”

“Sounds like a bummer.” I then pointed down to the cabinet before me. “Mind if I help myself to a glass of scotch.”

“Isn't it a bit early for drinks?”

“I'm nocturnal, so this is my form of midnight.”

“Then... be my guest, dear.”

I obliged myself to a glass. I lifted the bottle, it was wide on the bottom and slim at the top, turning its cap off. Liquid poured into the glass below—it was strong enough to relax a guest, but weak that I wouldn't get a buzz.

Bummer.

“That does look like to be a lot of paperwork.” Pinkie pulled away from the table, gazing across its surface. “We only came to give you coffee, but is there anything we can give you a hoof with?”

“I appreciate the offer, Pinkie.” Mayor Mare sat back in her seat. “But there's not a whole lot that can be done right now. If there was, I wouldn't be so stressed right now.”

“Something big go down?” Both mares looked at me from across the table, watching me as I took a seat in the chair in front of the desk. “Twilight gave me a rant about the underappreciated of government work. Trivial stuff and all that.”

“I assure you that these matters are anything but trivial.”

I arched an eyebrow.

“Most of them, anyway.” Mayor sighed. “It's not even the paperwork that bothers me. It's the Apple family that worries me.”

“The Apple family!” Pinkie came around the table and stood next to me. “Are they okay? Did their barn get torn down again? Don't tell me the bats are back at it again!”

“It's nothin' like that, Pinks.” Pinkie gazed at me for a second. Her eyes were wide and slightly watery—she was legitimately concerned about her friends. Even when she had no idea what was happening, her natural response was concern as opposed to my skepticism. “Big Mac would've told me if something important was going down.”

I glanced over at Mayor Mare. “They're wanting more land and complaining about it, aren't they?”

“I'm afraid... not.”

Even my eyes went wide at that.

“What's the deal then?”

“That's information that cannot be discussed.”

“Would it be in the interest for Twilight to know?”

“And if it did?”

“Because it would be in my interest.”

Mayor Mare stared at her stacks of paper, staring and staring, thinking and thinking, something heavy resting on her shoulders. My entrance hadn't been kind and my words strayed away from the concept, but I could see a fellow burdened soul when I met one, and with Pinkie next to me, I wanted to do something to help... for whatever strange reason.

“I have something to say,” Mayor Mare started, “though it may prove sensitive to you.”

“I'm sure my scales can handle it.”

Mayor Mare lowered her muzzle and closed her eyes. “I'm afraid that the Apples have been having issues with dragons on their farm.” She raised her muzzle. “They want official support from the Royal Guard to clear the issue.”

I blinked before looking over at Pinkie. “You don't think she means me, do you?”

Pinkie only rolled her eyes.