• Published 5th Nov 2018
  • 3,090 Views, 156 Comments

Five Crazy Trials to Date Pinkie Pie - B_25



Spike endures five trials to understand what intimacy with a mare is really like.

  • ...
19
 156
 3,090

XIII - The Promise

~ XIII ~

The Promise

“You're really gotta to stop doing this.”

I blinked until I was awake. “Pinkie? That you?”

“Of course I'm me!” My vision cleared away to her pink muzzle hovering me. “Why wouldn't I be me?”

“What are you doing here?”

“I live here. What are you doing here?”

I blinked a few more times until the rest of the world was clear. Around me were the streets of Ponyville, lit by sunlight instead of moonlight, and behind me, just past the pink pony was Sugar Cube Corner. The kinks in my back reminded me of how comfortable it was to sleep on steps.

“Were you hoping to get an early start on helping the Apples?”

I groaned as I sat up, draping a claw over my face. “Let's go with that excuse. You ready to go then?”

“Should I be asking you that question?”

“I'll be alright once I get back on my feet.” I chuckled as I rubbed my eyes. “Guess I can't ask you to give me a hoof?”

“Of course you can't.” Finishing with my eyes, a pink hoof hovered before me. “But I can offer you one if I want to. Here ya go!”

I was feeling too drained to give any fight to her logic. My talons came down along the roundness of her hoof, pulling on it as I rose to my feet. There was a few stumbles and wobbles, but I could stand pretty alright.

There wasn't much to say after that. We were on our way for the streets of Ponyville, which were barren because of how early it was, though I wasn't complaining. We didn't talk much during our trip. It was weird. We liked to talk a lot, and yet, when we were together, we were mostly silent.

The silence was enjoyable at least.

It wasn't until we left town and entered the acres that I began to speak. Something pricked at my head.

“Hey Pinkie?”

She was trotting next to me, her hips swaying and her mane flopping, as she then smiled up at me.

“You alright if we talk about yesterday?” I sighed and averted my gaze. “I kinda wanna apologize for acting up yesterday. At least, in terms of you and me.”

“What's making you say this?”

“Let's say I had some time to think about it.” I looked back down at her, slowing the speed of my walking. “And you're right. Ponies get together to feel each other up, and while that's great and all, that's not the only reason why ponies should be dating.”

Pinkie only giggled. “You dolt. You didn't know that already?”

“I knew that a relationship based on touching would never last.” I shook my head. “Just didn't know how important touching was. It's the biggest reason for someone to get a marefriend, and well, if that mare can't be a friend without the touching, then it's all bound to go south, right?”

Pinkie smiled. “That's a very good answer to give. I'm proud you see things that way.”

“Does mean I can touch you now?”

Pinkie rolled her eyes. “You silly boys.”

“We're only silly because you girls are so pretty.”

She blushed at that, and for once, I felt proud. Never in a million years would a causal flirt just slip past my lips, and yet, I was growing more and more comfortable with a mare that saw something in me romantically. Where I wasn't some drunk or ugly dragon, but a suitable partner that the romantic exchange was mutually enjoyable.

At least, I hoped it was that way.

“Get over here now, Applebloom!”

Pinkie and I looked forward from each other. We were on a dirt trail that was fenced at its sides, a vast land of towering trees beyond it. In the distance ahead, the farm loomed, no activity except for the two mares rushing towards us.

“Isn't that Applejack?”

“I think it is,” I whispered down to Pinkie, before waving my claw at the two nearing figures. “Yo! Aj! That you?!”

“You vermin!” The orange blur came charging. My heart beat against my chest in an attempt to escape. I was tempted to use Pinkie Pie as a shield. “Thought you could sneak away from Big Mac, did ya? Your scales better be harder than they look!”

“Give it a break!” I stepped forward as I pounded my claws against my chest. “It's me, Spike! Will you quit charging at me!?”

Applejack kept charging at me. Though, when she drew near, I saw her eyes blink and her rump fall to the dirt, pushing her hind legs into the dirt to slow her speed. She slid a few feet, coming to a stop just before my feet.

“Spike? Is that you?” Applejack looked up at me sitting down. She tilted her head. “Weren't ya a lot smaller before.”

“Puberty took me while I was sleeping.” My claws dropped to the side. “I've never been the same afterward. Forget that. Why were you running at me?”

“Sugarcube, I thought you were someone else, I really did.” Applejack rose to her hooves, turning around and spotting Applebloom coming up to us. “Now ya hurry along now. Big Mac's gonna need support faster than we can get it.”

“You referring to that someone else?”

“You two better leave,” Applejack said, not expecting for Pinkie to come next to her and start patting the dirt off her fur. “We have real trouble back in the farm y'all don't want to get yourself involved in.”

“You mean the dragons you've been keeping on the down low?”

Applejack threw a foreleg over Applebloom once she caught up. The two stared at me. “How'd you figure out a thing like that?”

“Meeting with the mayor.” I cracked my neck, and then once I was done, my fists afterward. “She wanted me to try speaking some sense into them. Not actually sure how she expected me to do that.”

“These dragons ain't the talkin' type, Spike.” Applejack brought Applebloom to her chest. “They're the real deal. Ya should get outta here.”

“You implying I ain't-a real dragon.”

“Now ain't the time for jokes.”

“I agree.” I crouched so we could be eye-level. “Look, I'm not going to pretend to know what the full story is, only that Mac could probably use a helping claw right now, right? I don't care what happens to me.” I smiled as wide as I could. “Your brother owes me far too many drinks to be put out of work.”

Applejack stared at me for a long while. Her chest was still heaving from all her running, and at this moment, this cruel and honest moment, she analyzed me, deciding if I was worth taking a chance on.

If I could actually be of some help for once in my life.

“Alright then.” Applejack nodded. “You get back to that farm and you help my dumb brother out. We weren't expectin' things to be taken this far. Those dragons crossed a line.”

“We'll be sure to shove 'em back over it.” I returned to standing, stepped past the two. “You two should probably get Twilight. Better than any stallion around here.”

“My thinkin' exactly.”

“Get to it then!”

Applejack nodded. She slid her neck underneath Applebloom barrel, lifting her into the air and letting her slide down her neck. Once she was on her back, hugging her body, Applejack galloped off back into town.

“Dang.” I sighed and shook my head. “Now I'm wishing I'd brought Twilight with me.”

“Now's not a good time to be thinking, Spikey.”

Pinkie was standing before and below me, smiling hopefully up at me. I smiled back. “You're right, Pinkie. Let's get a move on.”

Together, we rushed toward the barn.