• Published 6th Jul 2012
  • 5,187 Views, 634 Comments

The Life and Death of a DJ - Syn3rgy



So how did Vinyl become... Vinyl?

  • ...
14
 634
 5,187

Written in Ink (Pt 1.)

Big thanks to Soto for the editing job. If only I had him before I got rejected from EqD!

Diary entry 23:

So I started writing in this old thing again. Looking back on the older stuff, I found myself lost in memories; mostly bad memories because the last time I wrote in this, I was trying to cope with Dawnfire’s battle with wing rot. However, I need to get things off my chest, and I think-with Orrick gone on business trips across Equestria so often nowadays-It’ll be a good outlet.

Where to start?

Being an aging mare, I can really tell how much time changes things, it always does, and I’m seeing before me my past life fading into history; giving way to new endeavors, goals, objectives. For example: Octavia had broken the news to me and Orrick just two days ago that she had been granted a prestigious opportunity to play and learn overseas. To quote her, she justified her trip as an ‘excellent learning opportunity from the essential founders of music’. Celestia knew I’d never stop her, but could anypony blame me for feeling desperate? Octavia has been a big figure in my life, and could be held accounted for all I was now. Who knows, if I never ran into her at that bar; would I still be a busker?

Diary entry 29

Like any rightful pony, I still wanted to keep some traces of my old life with me; like a foal that has to sleep with her stuffed dog every night. I think I’ve found it: Music. It’s been with me since the beginning; it’ll be with me till I die… my own little stuffed dog. I’ve applied to the Music Academy in Manehattan, and I’m waiting for a response. I think it would be amazing if I could teach there. In other news, Octavia is set and ready to leave Equestria. I applaud her for her bravery; I’ve never be able to do what she’s doing. The world is big, yes, but I’m perfectly happy with my little Equestrian slice!

Diary entry 42

I’m depressed-hopelessly-for the matter. I just need to write down everything that’s going on.
For starters, Orrick and got into a fight. It started as a small squabble; we were deciding on the color of the foal’s room. Quickly though, it elevated. It ended when I said something hurtful. He sort of went still then and dropped it. If I could rewind time, I’d change the course of that argument, take everything back. Life isn’t like that though; you don’t get second chances.
I didn’t get the position I was looking for in The Music Academy. Some boring pony with a little more experience stole it from right under my hooves. She might be knowledgeable, but she sure as hay lacked all sorts of communication skills that I excelled in! I bet it was my Buck addiction that really decided it though. Who would want a once-addict teaching the new line up of great musicians?

Speaking of Buck, last night I had a craving for it, and it was terrifying. I don’t know why, or maybe I do. I haven’t really been getting much sleep-the children are keeping me restless-and all this stress recently is getting under my fur. If only Octavia was here to talk to. I miss her dearly, and she’s only been gone for a month! At least we’re keeping in touch via letters. She seems to be having a great time, and I’m happy for her. At least one of us is doing fine….

Diary Entry 60

I’m suffocating; drowning in a pool of my own wretched misery. This is stupid. Orrick and I have come to terms, but I still don’t have work, and Octavia has stopped sending letters! The last time she wrote, it was about her running into a fine mare at a restaurant. I hope she hasn't forgotten about me, or even worse, replaced me. That would push me over, I think; I hope not. Maybe one day, when my foals are grown up and graduated, and I’ve gotten a job, a well-paying one that allows Orrick to ease off on his traveling, I can look back on this entry and shake my head. But for now, I’ve yet to find an exit.

Craving for various things are coming back, Buck and alcohol mostly. I’m pushing those thoughts aside for now; my unborn foals and Orrick are keeping me under control, but mostly my unborn foals. I know all too well the risk one takes when consuming alcohol during pregnancy. Buck, on the other hoof is a mystery to me, though I have a strong feeling that it won’t help. Maybe when they’re born, I can indulge.

I’m thinking of mentioning the cravings to Orrick; Celestia knows that I need his protection now more than ever. At the same time though, I’m hesitant; it would be unfair to drag him back in. I think I have to face this on my own.

Diary entry 9001

Ha! I’m week, useless. At the same time though, I feel good! Reall, really, really good. I can smile again, but everything is a bit fazy. I bet the foals are having a good time in my stomach as well, a little young to be drinking. BAD FOALS! But I’m not on Buck atleast, never again will I be. Nope, double nope. Triple, mabey, or mabey just double. List of alcohol time!
-Two shots of Maregarita, some wonderful half and half Applejack Daniels/soda, another shooter, or mabey two or three… five? See, I forget; means it’s working. More mixers, and now, just Peach Vodka.

Yep, that’s a lot of drink. I should do this more often, it makes me feel so happy, and warm, and very aroused. I would get up and hoof myself senseless if it weren’t for how spinny things are. I could open up that magazine, or, or imagine Orrick and I in bed together; he’s so dominating! YAY! Oh, I just remembered he’s off on a trip of somesort. Silly me! I wouldent be drinking if it wernet for his lack-of-precence. He’d be angry to know I was drinking with foals in my stomach and

Diary entry 66

No. No, no, no, no, no! This is not good. I’m such an idiot! My foals, they could be deformed, I could have ruined their lives; and all because I was stupid enough to succumb to this stupid depression. Orrick still hasn’t returned from his trip to Ponyville, I have the worst hangover, and I’ve poisoned my foals. Did I mention I’ve POISONED MY FOALS? As I write this, my mind is filling up with images of crippled pegasi, hollow-horn unicorns, splinter-hoof earth ponies, and blind or deaf griffons. I’m so disappointed with my behavior, and I’d tell myself that I would never do something like drink excessively again if it weren’t for the fact that I probably will. What’s next, Buck? Ya right, that’ll fuck them up to no ends! Then again, I’m one fucked up unicorn, so maybe we’d fit in with one another.

But this self-loathing is getting me nowhere. I need to step up. I’m going to talk to Orrick when he gets back from his trip to Ponyville; it was foalish of me to hesitate so long. I’m a middle-aged mare now, not some young adult with too much to do, or too little, I suppose.

Diary entry 70

I feel like I’m in Canterlot Palace right after a changeling attack. Checkpoints at my front entrance, close scrutiny on my behavior… but you know what? I like it. I ended up telling Orrick about what happened. I thought he was going to be angry, but he wasn't. He was compassionate, and immediately promised that as long as I was his mate; he’d do everything in his power to make sure I was under control. It’s times like now that I remember what drew me to Orrick in the first place, what kept me loving him through the rocky road I tread, what made me marry him in the end. He was selfless and kind.

By Luna and Celestia, I've made many, many mistakes in my life; mistakes that I've gotten over, resolved, or even still await the results of. But in all of that, the one definite good choice I made was picking Orrick. I’m just afraid of what’s to come of my foals.

Diary entry 76

I’m a mother! A mother of two… something’s (and I mean that in the nicest way). We’ve yet to decide exactly what I and Orrick created, but by Celestia’s grace, all that matters is that they are healthy. I can hear them laughing with their father in the room beside me; it’s such a fulfilling sound. I was so scared, so very scared that my mistake would ruin their lives. Yet again, Orrick helped me in my time of need. In secrecy, I wish that he would suffer over something so that I may repay him by helping him through it. I feel as though no amount of words could really relay my thankfulness, only actions. Sensual actions, loving actions, and now, being-a-good-non-alcoholic-non-Buck-addict-mother actions as well! Oh, they’re starting to cry. I’d best end this diary. I wanted to write a description of them in this entry, but my time has run out. Tomorrow it is then!