• Published 8th Dec 2016
  • 761 Views, 12 Comments

The Lost Legends of Equestria: Star Swirl the Bearded - Silver Inkwell



Follow the tale and story about the real truth behind the great and powerful yet still mysterious Star Swirl as told by (the) Princess Celestia to her student Twilight Sparkle.

  • ...
4
 12
 761

PreviousChapters Next
Meeting Star Swirl

Meanwhile Back in the Royal Canterlot Library…

“Why did you stop?” Twilight asked when her mentor suddenly just stopped.

“Because the rest of the story is not mine to tell, it is his.”

“But why exactly?” she asked in some confusion.

“Because I made a promise to him when he told me his story not to ever tell the last part, the one that I cannot tell you, and I will not break my promise to him, the only way that you will know the end of this story is if you ask him yourself, but be careful, he had become a little bit… different than what I have told you in my stories, and if you hear the rest of it you will soon understand why that is exactly, but still, the sorrow, pain and despair he faced, the tragedy that he had, it is far too difficult for even me to say to you in just mere words.”

“Well then,” Twilight said, “If you can’t tell me the story then how about you take me to Star Swirl so I can hear the rest of the story?”

“I suppose that will work, I am after all the only one to know his location other than my sister of course, and luckily enough for us he is very close.”

“He is?” Twilight asked with some surprise.

“Yes, in fact he has been living on your street for many years.”

“Wait, you mean to tell me that I was a street neighbor of the great and powerful wizard Star Swirl?” she asked with a scream of joy and delight.

“That is so totally cool and amazing!” she said waving her hooves around in the air unable to contain her energy and emotions deep down inside.

“Please, calm yourself down my student,” Celestia asked politely.

“Sorry,” she said, “It’s just that I am so excited, I mean I can finally meet the pony of my dreams, my personal hero and mentor before you came along of course, I mean come on, it’s not every day that a chance or opportunity like this comes along, I mean wouldn’t you be excited if it did?”

“Very,” Celestia said showing no outward display of emotion, but deep down inside her mind she knew who she would want to meet one last time once more again, her parents, for they had both died when she was
too young.

And then very slowly a tear fell down her face, “Celestia, are you okay?” Twilight asked concerned that she might have made her upset.

“I am fine, it is just memories of the past, now come on, let’s go, there is not much time left in the day, and he is not fond of visitors after night time.”

And with that said they left the library and went to the street where Twilight’s old home was, and she couldn’t help remember how soon she was here.

“It feels just like yesterday that I was helping Moondancer get some friends,” she said looking at where her old house stood, “And it seems just like I was also here yesterday trying to figure a way out to stop Nightmare Moon’s return, oh, those were the good old days,” she said with a slight sigh.

“They were indeed,” she said as they came upon a house that was in shambles and torn apart and was frayed at both wood and stone and had the markings that many magic experiments had gone wrong and failed, and the paint, if you could call it that anymore, it was faded on the outside from many years of weather, mostly wind and rain and storm, and while it may have been once blue or white it now seemed to be a dull brown or white or blue color.

It was hard to tell since she could barely distinguish it from the road.

“Here we are,” Celestia said, “The home of the one and only, great and powerful wizard Star Swirl the Bearded, but before you ask, it was not always this way, once it was simple and plain, and it was no better or worse than any other house in the city, but now, now it is the worst one in the whole entire city.”

“But why? What could be so bad that happened so long ago that could cause him to blatantly ignore the state and condition of his own home?”

“It may be his house,” she said, “But not his home, not any longer, his home is where his heart lays, and I have no idea where his could lay now. But what happened so long ago made him stop caring for anything else. But that has caused some problems, if it were not for me his house would be gone by now.

It would have been destroyed by those who deemed it a safety hazard or too old or too ugly, or any other reason, but I have always kept them away from him, mostly because he is an old friend, but also because out of pity too.”

“I always thought that there was no one in there, or that if there was that they would have to be crazy or stupid,” she said, “I guess that I was half right.”

Celestia smiled at that comment, “Most ponies are at first.”

“Is that another quite you got from him?”

“Maybe, you’ll just have to wait and see now, won’t you?”

And with that said she knocked very loudly on the door but when no response came for a very long time
(quite some indeed) then she rang the doorbell.

“I don’t do charities, or buy cookies and I hate sales ponies, so basically if you’re trying to sell me something or take my money than go away!”

“Don’t you know that it is me?” Celestia asked, “Your old friend.”

“How do I know that it is really you and not some changeling spy instead?”

She sighed heavily, “When we were young you used to call me Sunbutt, and also Tia, you had many various nicknames for me, trust me, it is me.”

And with that said the sounds of many locks opening up could be heard.

Eventually after quite some time the door opened up very slowly.

“Is that really you?” he asked, “It’s been so long, but what brings you here exactly? Is there some kind of disaster or danger or peril that I don’t know about? Is it Tirek? Is it Discord again? Is it Starlight Glimmer?
What about Nightmare Shadow? Please tell me that he isn’t real, that would be so very bad for all of us.

What is it, please just tell me, I can bear it and take it in.”

“It is my student Twilight Sparkle actually, she has a question for you. And so do I, I am very curious about the last pony you mentioned by name.”

“You best forget him, it could change the future should I even say or mention his name again, but come now, inside with you, it would be rude of me to talk to you when you have to stand outside all alone out there.”

And so he opened the door fully inviting them in.

“OH MY GOSH!” Twilight screamed with joy and delight rushing over to him “I CAN’T ACTUALLY BELIEV IT’S REALLY YOU! OH MY GOSH!”

“STOP TOUCHING ME!” he shouted flinging her back into a wall with such force that it literally shattered her bones making it hard for her to breathe, “AND DEFINITELY NO HUGGING ME EITHER! DO YOU THINK THAT I
WILL JUST ACEPT YOUR PRAISE AND JOY AND DLEIGHT WITH SUCH EASE?

YOU MOCK ME WITH YOUR EMOTION! YOU MOCK ME WITH YOUR JOY AND DLEIGHT, AND HOW DARE YOU MOCK ME, DON’T YOU KNOW WHO I AM?

OH WAIT, YOU CLEARLY DO, I AM THE GREAT AND POWERFUL WIAZARD STAR SWIRL, AND NO PONY EVER GETS AWAY WITH MOCKING ME!”

“STAR SWIRL!” Celestia shouted, “YOU ARE KILLING HER!”

And with that said he looked down to see that he was indeed, for he was slowly choking her to death, and then with fear in his eyes he quickly made his hoof retreat, “I am so very sorry,” he said, “It’s just that my emotions get the best of me sometimes, especially these days, especially ever since I lost her.”

“Lost who?” Twilight gasped trying to breathe.

“I will tell you,” he said using magic to heal her broken ribs, “But you must make me the same promise that Celestia did, you must promise to never ever tell this to any other pony, even if your very life or honor depends upon it. Do you understand and agree to the terms and conditions of this?”

“Yes, yes I do,” Twilight said, “But do you attack every pony like that?”

“No,” he said, “My anger, hate, wrath and fury vary depending upon the day, hour, and time, you’re just lucky that Celestia was here or it might have been worse, but before you ask, no, I have never killed any pony out of my own hate, fury, anger, or wrath, it had been bad before, many small and large injuries sure, but never death, and I consider myself very lucky it has never gotten that far. But if you are to understand why I am like this now and probably not the nice kind cheerful pony that Celestia has been describing to you, I would assume that she told you stuff like that unless I am wrong of course?”

“No, you’re right, go on.”

“Well as I was saying if you are to understand why I am what I am now, you must know what I was, and also what happened on that sad tragic day of fate.

But before I do I have only one question, is your promise still intact Celestia?”

“Yes, of course it is, that is why I brought my student here to you so that you could answer her question with your very own story.”

“That is very wise indeed, and thank you for respecting my wishes and keeping my promise after all these years, it really means a lot to me.”

“You’re welcome,” she said.

“Yes, well anyhow now that I know that I can get on with my story.

You see long ago I was in love with my wife Pearl as you know, but what you don’t know is why she is not here offering you tea or snacks, and as you can see,” he said pointing at the very dirty room, “This isn’t very
clean at all, and the reason for that is mostly because I don’t care anymore, I don’t care about anything anymore, not even about taking good care of myself.”

And that was clear because he smelled very bad and his blue skin looked not fair or well and he even had a gray frizzled beard that was a sign of age.

“Why do you even look that way? Can’t you change it?”

“Yes, I could, but then I would be lying to you, and I never ever lie to others unless I absolutely need to.

Now anyways as I was saying I was in love with my wife Pearl, and if she were here now you would already have tea and snacks, and I’m sorry that I’m not offering you any, it’s just that I don’t really care anymore, anyhow let me tell you the story of how I lost my wife to something terrible and tragic, you see after the sirens came to this land the tension and hate and anger and wrath and fury Luna felt towards her sister grew even more until one say she snapped and became Nightmare Moon, and that is where we really begin, for on the night that she rose, that was the night I lost it all.”

Author's Note:

Next Chapter: Tragedy/ Loss
Or:
The Lost Night

(Vote Down Below Please!)

Where Star Swirl explains why he is the way now.

So stay tuned for more!

PreviousChapters Next