• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 1,082 Views, 71 Comments

Death Note: Alight Equestria - DeviousNights



"No matter how smart you are, you alone cannot change the world". This is contrary to the beliefs of Maj. Nightmare Moonlit, who plans to do just that with a mysterious black notebook.

  • ...
7
 71
 1,082

Attorney-General Lawrence Sawyer

Rarity stood outside Nightmare's residence with an unsure look on her face. She didn't know what to make of her last visit. All she remembered was seeing a tall black figure looking over her and… greeting her, before she had blacked out. She had ended up at her boutique the next morning with a terrible headache. She had to make sure nothing had occurred between her and the former military official. She knocked her trademark four times, waiting for a response. She cocked her head as she heard a commotion from the inside, which had happened almost every time she came to his house. She heard someone vaguely cursing "shit" as loud crashes were heard. She heard a few more large thumps and Nightmare's voice mumbling something unintelligible. Moments later the door cracked open.

"Yes?" asked Nightmare, reluctant to open the door fully.

"Nightmare... we need to talk." Rarity requested, attempting to come inside before he stuck his hoof out, blocking her way.

"About what, exactly?" the stallion asked, continuing to block the way.

"I'd prefer we sit down and talk about this."

Nightmare sighed and let her in, stepping out of the way. His living room was a wreck, as it was last time, but this time more severe a disaster.
"Rarity… this is my… Shinigami, Ryuuk." Nightmare said, not even bothering to hide the creature sitting on his couch. Ryuuk waved as if nothing was out of the ordinary at all. Rarity shivered at the sight, trying her best not to faint. Now that she was fully conscious, she could see the Shinigami in all its terrifying glory. More than tall, he was giant, with gleaming yellow eyes staring out of his blue face. Surprisingly, he didn’t even look like a pony. Rarity vaguely remembered its form from anthropology, a subject she had studied as a teenager. It was a… humanoid. Looking away nervously, she walked into the kitchen and settled into herself down on the same seat that she sat in last time. She motioned for Nightmare to come sit with her. He sighed and quietly walked over to his seat.

~

A white-coated unicorn with a yellow mane sat in a seat on the sixth floor of his building, his desk made of pure marble and his tile floors shining. His stained glass windows had an attorney's badge imprinted on them. He had bookshelves to the ceiling with files upon files of cases. It was obvious that he was rolling in bits. His bright gold magic aura surrounded a brush as he brushed his hair back, his mane glistening with expensive oil. Whilst doing so, he looked over a couple files. On his desk, a nameplate read “Attorney General Lieutenant Lawrence Sawyer.” The files were all labeled with a large "K", indicating that they were from the "god," or "Kira," cases.

He flipped through files upon files, before a knocking was heard. He had been requested to have the Royal Attorneys of Equestria look into the case by the police committee. He shook his head, looking through the files. He put the files back into their proper place on the shelf and the replaced them with a file full of criminal profiles, shifting through them and marking the ponies who had been killed recently this week.
"This other "god..." I wonder who they are, and who their Shinigami is." a voice said behind him. The Attorney General turned to face his Shinigami.

"Well, that's the same thing I was wondering, Barragan."

Barragan, the Shinigami he was addressing, was very large, a black cloak covering most of his body. He had no visible skin, as the only part of him that was visible was his bare skull beneath the cloak’s hood. He had no visible eyes, and his jaw did not move as he talked. He had a scar going across both of his eye sockets and wore a crown made of thorns on his head. Lawrence took a black notebook from his desk and lay it flat, pages turned upwards. He turned to a fresh page and levitated a pen.

"I will do my service to Kira. Together, we will rid this world of evil."

Barragan shook his head. "There's not only one, but two more Shinigami in this world at the moment. So there's another Death Note besides the one that Kira has. This is all getting interesting now, isn't it?"

"Yes, of course. We just need to figure out who my Lord is."

Barragan nodded. "Let's take to Hoovington then. If he's actually there, like the police pony said, we should see a Shinigami somewhere."
"Indeed." The Attorney General put on his coat and headed out of his office. He headed through the front door, head held high like the nobility that he was born into, and boarded the first-class car on the train to Hoovington. Naturally, ponies of all ages came up asking him questions. However, he ignored them patiently and attempted to enjoy the ride. He stepped off the train, Barragan trailing him high over his head. He stopped after he noticed two ponies in front of him staring at the sky… exactly where his Shinigami was. Any normal ponies wouldn't see the giant Shinigami floating in the air… so why could they see him?

One of them was a male unicorn with a purple-tipped dark blue mane. His coat was a bland gray, making his red eyes stand out among the dark colors. He was dressed in a Canterlot royal guard uniform--a red dress blouse with a blue Aiguillette that held his medals. His rank glistened on his color, a golden Hibiscus, the rank of a Major. He was carrying a black saddle bag which held a single book--apparent from the outline against the saddle bag.

The other unicorn was a very beautiful mare. She was already known to the Attorney General as Rarity, owner of the famous chain of both Carousel Boutique and Rarity For You. He knew her from a guilty pleasure--being secretly engrossed in the drama of the fashion industry, eagerly keeping up with the latest updates in individual fashion lines. Rarity's in particular had caught his eye the most out of the rest of designers. There was nothing very much new about her, besides the fact that she could see Barragan.

Lawrence took his attention off them to notice the giant black figure behind the both of them. He stood at least ten feet tall, his darkish blue hair brushing the top of the roof of the train station. His entire color scheme was very out of place for the vibrant colors of the train station, the black of his shirt, pants, and belt having a hard time meshing with the pink and red of the station. He had an impossibly wide grin on his face and his fingertips were shaped into claws. He was definitely more heavily featured than Barragan.

He looked down from Ryuuk to see the stallion staring right at him as he stared back. The harsh gaze seemed to be testing him. From this, he knew. This was God. The savior that had come to eradicate evil from this world. And he was nothing more than a prosecutor, ranking lower than him in the legal chain of command. He wanted to commend him for everything that he had done up until this point, but knew it would not be the most subtle thing to do in front of loads of ponies.

"Y'know… Attorney General, I think we should have a talk. How about, say, we go to Grillby's?" he asked, not waiting for an answer as he turned to walk out of the station. Rarity followed him with a worried expression.

"God..." Lawrence mumbled under his breath as he started to follow. Barragan and Ryuuk shook each other's hands as they finished their conversation, obviously forming a friendship. They cackled together as they followed the group of unicorns. As the group arrived at Grillby's, they were instantly approached by a tall stallion with a red and yellow mane and white coat.

"Ah, Major Moonlit, my favorite customer! Where would you like your seating?" he asked enthusiastically.

"Seat me outside, if you wouldn't mind. And make sure no one comes to sit with us."

"Yes sirree!" He guided them to an table topped with an umbrella. Rarity and the other unicorn sat on one side, and the Attorney General sat on the other.

"Before we start, first, who are you? And how much does she know?" Lawrence asked, motioning at Rarity.

"Call me Major. And Rarity knows everything." Major replied.

"Even about you? And who you are?"

"Yes, she knows that I am Kira. She took an oath of silence, though I believe that's just because she thinks I'll kill her otherwise. I never had that in mind, honestly. Now I have a question for you."

"Shoot." Lawrence offered, starting to tune out Rarity.

"How long have you had that book?"

"About two weeks."

"So you had it before I did, huh?"

"If you received it after the time I received mine, then yes."

"How many names have you written in that notebook since you got it?"

"One, my Lord." Lawrence suddenly remembered that his attitude towards Major needed to be more respectful. After all, he was speaking to a God.

"And who would that be? Was it just for a test, like my first one?"

Rarity was terrified, sitting in the middle of this. She was sitting at Grillby's with two murderers, equipped with the worst murder weapon to ever grace Equestria. And if she tried to escape, they would find her, and most likely end her. She was trapped. She glanced at the two military veterans, then quickly looked away and tried not to listen to them talking about killing ponies as if it was normal conversation.
"That one fashion designer, Ela Kuran, I believe." he said, opening his notebook.

"Ah, so that was your work. Nice job." Major congratulated, giving a grin. The Attorney General smiled wide. He had just been praised by God.
Rarity, on the other hoof, was fighting with the thought that these two had murdered her rival.

Author's Note:

"A new world. It's only ideal."
Maj. Nightmare Moonlit
that should be about it with main characters. Attorney General Sawyer will be the last main character added on for the next few chapters, any reviews are appreciated and favs or like are also. Any questions may be asked in the comments