• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 1,082 Views, 71 Comments

Death Note: Alight Equestria - DeviousNights



"No matter how smart you are, you alone cannot change the world". This is contrary to the beliefs of Maj. Nightmare Moonlit, who plans to do just that with a mysterious black notebook.

  • ...
7
 71
 1,082

Two Times

"Why...?" Nightmare muttered, his body shivering. Sweetie Belle was hugging his leg and asking what's wrong with him. He was stuck in a trance, staring at Aryan, who was still flopping around. He looked back over his shoulder again, Sycamore looking just as confused and distraught as him. Silpheed was floating right next to him, her expression, like most other Shinigami, being unchanged.

Everything in the vicinity seemed to slow in time for Nightmare. The ticking of the clock reverberated in his ears. He counted each of the seconds, hoping that any of those seconds would be Aryan's last.

Aryan stared blankly at Nightmare, who had just been, moments earlier, proclaiming his victory, but for whatever reason it turned out to be short lived. She could've cried, buts he wasn't out of the deep water yet, he was still there.

"Are you two okay?" The secretary asked, tilting her head. She took part of the papers that Nightmare had been signing just beforehand. She put some sort of stamp on them, and started to pack up for the night.

"Y-yeah. I was just lost in thought as all." Nightmare responded, doing his best to finish the paperwork calmly. His eyes darted from side to side, even glancing back at the wall clock as he wondered if forty seconds had truly passed

Why didn't she die? Is this the wrong piece of paper? Or...did somepony else write her name down too, freeing her from being killed by the notebook? There has to be some reasonable explanation.

He signed the last paper, whipping his pen across the paper. He submitted them to the small mail slot next to him. He put Sweetie Belle back onto his back and motioned for Sycamore to follow. They began to walk together outside in the pounding rain.

Nightmare kept a straightforward look on his face. He was at a loss of words. Was the piece of the notebook inert? Did they not work unless around the Death Note? There were way too many possibilities. There were so many rules in that notebook that he just did not want to read them all.

Neither one of them said anything to the other, due to the presence of Sweetie Belle. Sweetie was lying on Nightmare's back, hooves wrapped across his neck like a sock monkey, her breathing bouncing her up and down lightly on his back.

About an hour and a train ride later, they arrived at Nightmare's little house on the outskirts of Hoovington. Nightmare took Sweetie into the house, setting her down in his bedroom and instructing her to go to sleep, as it was around 9 at night.

Nightmare stepped outside, where Sycamore was standing in the dark rain, his Shinigami eyes illuminating the dark. He could see the look of discomfort on Nughtmare's face.

"Why didn't she die, Sycamore?" Nightmare kicked the conversation off. He turned around, refusing to face Sycamore. The rain mercilessly bombarded the two, who, without cover, were used as target practice for the rain.

"I honestly don't know." Sycamore responded, lowering his head.

"It is most likely that a third Death Note user has written the name down." Silpheed responded, entering both of their view from the darkness. There was little light in the area due to it being on the outskirts and all.

"A third user? You mean Lawrence Sawyer don't you?"

"Never did I say that, nor am I prepared to make that assertion." Silpheed replied brushing her hand across her black robe.

Nightmare whipped his head away from her and pulled out his cell phone. The rain made the buttons very sticky, but he still managed.

"God?" Nightmare heard Lawrence's voice on the other end.

"You did not write any other names in the Death Note today now did you?" Nightmare demanded angrily.

The other side of the line went quiet for a quick moment, before Lawrence was heard gritting his teeth together.

"Lawrence! Answer me! Now!"

"I-I saw her name on the television... It was the exact made that you described to me...I thought you weren't in the position to write her nam God!" He shakily explained, dropping his phone in the process. Thunder crashed outside, illuminating the area around Nightmare's house.

Sycamore could see the severe look of anger on Nightmare's face. His face was curled into a wrinkled angered expression. His eyes seemed to be a darker shade of red than usual, and he was beginning to crush the sides of the phone with his hoof.

Nightmare hung up on Lawrence, allowing his phone to drop into a puddle that had accumulated right in front of him. He angrily stomped the phone, causing the LCD Screen and other phone fragments to fly in all different direction. His hoof started to bleed as metal fragments sunk into his fur.

"Just goes to show you I can't trust anyone but myself to do things can I?" Nightmare mumbled, his front hooves giving way as he fell into a puddle, knees first. He bent his head forwards, his wet mane hanging over his eyes like curtains.

"I'll kill her." Nightmare proclaimed getting up. "I'll kill her if I have to do it with my very own hooves."

The rattled murderer walked back into his house, the water and blood on his hooves filling the crack in his tiled floor. He made a mental note to call somepony to fix that floor later. He headed to his washroom, Sycamore following some feet behind him.

"Didn't I tell you to go to sleep?!" Nightmare called from the washroom, prompting Sycamore to stop and look back at the living room to see who he was yelling at.

"Who're you?" Sweetie Belle asked from the living room floor, completely ignoring the General's command to hit the hay.

The Sergeant Majpr looked back to see a white maned filly, couldn't be any more than nine or ten years old. Her purple and white cotton candy-esque hair knotted in multiple places. Her light green eyes looked innocent enough, seeing a stranger in her new house. There was n surprise that she'd be a little scared.

"Do you want to be my friend?" She asked in her normal happy, squeaky voice. That invalidated what he was thinking of her as before: a scared little filly. However, he was something that stopped his heart for a split second.

Sycamore hang his head low for a split second and closed his eyes. He couldn't believe what he was seeing. "Just a friend of his. Just pluggin' along." He responded, quickly turning his back from her and walking into the wash room where Nightmare was patching up his hoof. Blood dropped into his sink as he applied pressure to his wound. Sycamore was staring at Nightmare from the door.

"Whaddaya want Gavin?" He asked, putting the finishing touches on his wound. He began whipping water from his run into his eyes as Sycamore said six words that struck fear into his heart.

"That filly. She has seven days."

Author's Note:

Just a random tidbit, Sycamore's appearance is based off Kristoph Gavin's from the Ace Attorney universe.