• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 1,079 Views, 71 Comments

Death Note: Alight Equestria - DeviousNights



"No matter how smart you are, you alone cannot change the world". This is contrary to the beliefs of Maj. Nightmare Moonlit, who plans to do just that with a mysterious black notebook.

  • ...
7
 71
 1,079

"Death Report"

Four days after the fateful news announcement and the death of a criminal over television, the city of Hoovington was in hysteria. Ponies would come and go at a rapid rate, some leaving to escape potential death, and some coming in order to beg mercy of the vengeful "god" as they referred to it. Ponies would load off of the express train, bringing gifts and offerings in hopes that the “god” would have mercy upon them and their loved ones. These offerings, unsurprisingly, lay there untouched. However they still hoped that they would accept their blessings. In front of Hoovington Town Hall, a layer of gifts and flowers coated themselves around the marble fountain. They piled high around the fountain to the point that you could not even walk up and toss a coin without stepping over layers upon layers of flowers and memorabilia.

Signs littered the buildings around the town hall, phrases such as "JUDGEMENT DAY HATH ARRIVED" and "THE END IS NEAR" were commonplace, written in spray paint on the sides of flower shops, the windows of businesses. Some businesses had been ransacked simply to have something to offer onto the “god.” Ponies were so afraid to die that they committed crimes that would get them killed without a second thought, attempting to spare their own lives. The local news station interviewed multiple ponies, pedestrians and city officials alike, asking them what they thought of the murders.

The vast majority would respond with "no comment," for fear that taking the side of this "god" would make them social outcasts, and the fear that going against the "god" would force “divine judgement” upon them. Neither of which they believed deserved an opinion on the matter. They believed being in the gray portion where the killer would spare them their life--and it worked. The few brave ones would speak out to the "god," calling him or her out to be nothing more than a murderer or a monster, saying that it would take the conjoined efforts of everyone to take them down. The news station was cautious not to broadcast the names of these civilians and blurred their faces so that they could feel at ease to say whatever they felt needed to be said regarding the situation. With these two lines of defense in play, none of the ponies that openly spoke out against the "god" had died, and many of them spoke out to their hearts’ content. They spoke of justice and the evils of this pony, or "god."

The few who openly supported the "god" would say otherwise. They believed that what they were doing was divine intervention, and that the elimination of all the criminals in the world is exactly what was needed for the city. They would argue that "since last week, crime rates have dropped by 60%, criminals have been afraid to do so much as plan crimes!" The network put no sort of lines of defense in place for these kinds of ponies as they did not expect the "god" to do anything about them. They were correct in doing so, as none of those ponies died either.

The problem came to the attention of Princess Celestia two days after the town had went to hysteria. She assured that this was nothing but a strange coincidence or an unfortunate chain of events. Celestia did not want to believe such an evil was occurring in her country, even if evil targeted other evil. Princess Luna herself could not be reached for comment, due to her not being related greatly in international affairs. Princess Twilight Sparkle had been questioned, to which she responded with "...whoever is committing these mass crimes, for the purpose of justice or not, you are an abomination to the rest of Equestria and you will be brought down for your actions."

The Outcast News Station, the main news station located in Hoovington, began to receive more and more profit as they continued to report the murders of various criminals. They decided to make their news channel 24/7, as criminals were dropping like flies. Their total stock value rose 30% in just a matter of days, which made their director and the news team ecstatic. The director of the station, Rufus Quagmire Jr., provided multiple statements on the matter, praising the "god" for his blessings--the money he had received. He proclaimed that he worshipped the "god" as his OWN "god." This prompted many theorists and detectives around Equestria to believe that he was the one responsible for all the crimes. However, they had no proof, so the superstition died out quickly.

The same day that Rufus had made those comments, the fashion designer, Ms. Ela Kuran passed away from a knife wound to the chest in her own home in Saddle Arabia. However, this was not considered to be related to the “god’s” murders. There seemed to be no motive that could indicate the "god" to be the one who had murdered the designer, and the “god’s” murders were centered around Hoovington, not Saddle Arabia. Because of this, Colonel Trajan Papyrus, of the Saddle Arabia Police Department had made a statement saying that they would be looking into this, as either a homicide or a possible assisted suicide. With the death of Ms. Kuran, Rarity had become Equestria's number one designer, this putting her high on the long list of potential suspects for the murder. Unfortunately, Rarity herself had not been seen around Ponyville or out of it in a few days. Her whereabouts had been put down as "unknown." Unfortunately, Princess Twilight had no comment on the disappearance of one of the Elements of Harmony. This update had created suspicion, and eventually she was investigated for any possible involvement.

In light of the recent crimes, many religious figures from across the lands had been holding vigils and gatherings to praise their own specific "god," assuming their "god" to be responsible for the multiple killings. Unbeknownst to them, the "god" they praised had nothing to do with the "justice killings" at all. It was nothing more than a prosecutor with a notebook. A breaking newscast had come on later on in the week. Allegedly, the news station had received a letter from the "god" with no return address, or any labeling. This letter simply stated "i aM KiRA," written in a style that was reminiscent of ancient calligraphy. From then on, this "god" had been known simply as "Kira."

Author's Note:

"Whoever sees it fit to stand in my way also sees it fit to die."
-Maj Nightmare Moonlit