• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 1,078 Views, 71 Comments

Death Note: Alight Equestria - DeviousNights



"No matter how smart you are, you alone cannot change the world". This is contrary to the beliefs of Maj. Nightmare Moonlit, who plans to do just that with a mysterious black notebook.

  • ...
7
 71
 1,078

Discovery

Nightmare was fast asleep in his low sitting bed. It had taken him a good number of hours to finally have the sleep sand twinkled in his eyes by Mr. Sandman.

Nightmare's hair was tied into a ponytail at the back of his head and he wore a red expensive looking bathrobe. It looked very out of place in his house, especially considering how run down his house had looked from the inside and out.

A sneaky Sweetie Belle snuck past Nightmare's open door, being careful not to make any unnecessary noise. She slithered along the ground so as to not be seen by Nightmare if he woke up. After passing by his room, she snuck into the living room.

The darkness of the house clouded her eyes, invoking a memory reminding her as to what she was doing at that very moment.

"Sweetie Belle..." Rarity called as she kept working on a black dress gown. She turned away from her new design face Sweetie, who had zipped into the room at lightning speed.

"Yeah sis?"

"In afraid something may happen to me in the next few days." Rarity began. "I have a very bad feeling that's been present over the past day or so."

"It's probably nothin' sis! I have bad feelin's all the time!" Sweetie Belle replied, bouncing in place. She must've gotten ahold to some candy or something of the sort.

"This is...a different feeling Sweetie. Listen to me." Rarity commanded as she placed both of her hooves on Sweetie Belle's shoulders, applying pressure so she would stop bouncing. Her eyes met her sisters as a tear began to solemnly form in Rarity's eye. She pulled Sweetie closer and whispered a hint to her.

"Remember these three books. "Ponymon: Ultimate Guide to Catching Em' All!, "History of the Moonlit Clan" and "The Big Pony Law Book". If something happens to me, and you get the chance you need to go to Nightmare's house and pull those books. If you can't do it you need to tell Twilight and the others."

"What're you tryna say sis?" Sweetie asked, cocking her head.

"I love you Sweetie." She said, pulling Sweetie close to her as she petted her mane slowly.

Sweetie narrowed her eyes and replied with her usual 'I love you too sis'. She began to walk away, thinking about what exactly was Rarity saying.

Little did she know, she foreshadowed the events that would unfold just a couple days later.

So here Sweetie was, trying to see exactly what Rarity was talking about, sneaking around a dark living room. She opened the door on the extreme left of the room, which in turn has an ominous set of stairs leading downward into a candlelit book case.

Sweetie slowly, but surely, took it one step at a time, until two minutes later she was at the very bottom. From what she could tell there were mostly files of some sort thrown sloppily onto the book shelf except two rows which were perfectly aligned. She climbed onto the second shelf and reached for "Ponymon: The Ultimate Guide to Catching Em' All!". She tugged at it, but it did not move from its place. Confused, she, without a second thought, placed both hooves onto the book and pulled all her weight backwards it pulled out halfway, then made a "Click" noise.

It wasn't much, but Sweetie took it as some sort of confirmation that she did something right. She carefully shifted her body slightly to the left, reaching onto the very top shelf for the next book, "History of the Moonlit Clan". She did the same thing she did with the last book, except it didn't budge at all. She kept pulling, applying all her weight to it, however it stayed firmly in place.

"Darn it!" Sweetie whispered out of frustration, slamming a good into the spine of the informational book.

In doing so, the bookcase made yet another click sound, the book pushing inward as Sweetie lost footing on one hoof, but luckily catching herself onto the top shelf. She carefully climbed downwards a shelf, coming eye level with "The Big Book of Pony Law". She pushed it in, but to no luck. She then attempted to pull at it, but almost ended up falling off the shelf entirely.

Sweetie Belle cocked her head. If she wasn't supposed to pull, but she also wasn't supposed to push, what exactly was she supposed to do with this book?

Sweetie was close to coming down, but then remembered her levitation training with Twilight during their 'Twilight Time'. She used her magic to envelope the book, which in turn moved with ease. It fell completely off the shelf, hitting the floor, but making no noise at all? Nightmare must've made the entire area soundproof. The bookshelf began to slide into the wall, revealing a secret study.

The study had multiple sheets of paper strewn about the floor, along with a desk with a black notebook on it, a lamp, and a feather pen.

Sweetie Belle was more confused by what she was be holding than by what Rarity had told her in the first place. There was a single price of paper lying in a wastebasket to her side. Curious, she levitated it from the basket, using her magic to briskly unfold it and lay it onto the ground in front of her.

"Dear Sweetie Belle...

If you are reading this, chances are something bad has ended up happening to me. I may be injured, or not even be with you at all. But never forget I will always be with you on the inside. My memory will never die unless you let it. I know that it must be weird for you to be taking this all in. But this...is Nightmare's study. It is where he goes to... Do certain things. If you inspect the room, you probably see pieces of paper strewed about the floor. Make sure you DO NOT touch any of those, and above all else DO NOT touch the black notebook on his table. If you have made it to this part of the letter, what I need you is to destroy this letter, burn it using the candle that was lit on the wall near the bookcase. After you do that you need to get out of here as quickly as possible and look for help. Go to anypony, tell them that you 'found something that the police should look in to'. Then bring them back here. After that, this entire nightmare will be over. If you for some reason cannot find any pony then you need to run back to the city and go straight to the police department. Nowhere else. Ask for Lieutenant Colonel Aryan Blues. She's an old friend of mine and definitely would not mind helping you. I may not be with you right now to see it through til the end. But never forget. Even in death, sickness, injury, I'll love you no matter what.

Love, Rarity"

Sweetie Belle hit her knees, tears streaming from her eyes. She let out soft hiccups, moving herself out of the room and sitting on the stairs that led her down there. She curled into a ball, using her magic to place the paper into the burning candle. She was in utter despair.

She began to crawl back up the stairs, to be met with a major pain in her foot. She was about to shriek, but then looked up.

Sycamore Gavin shook his head and wiggled his hoof that wasn't on hers left and right as if it was a disapproving digit.

"Well, well, well. What do we have here?"

Author's Note:

So a few OTHER tidbits of information.

This Fic has mostly Undertale references, some being very subtle, some being smack in the face obvious.

Rarity and Nightmare dating are a running theme in my fics, but this is the only fic where death has fallen beyond her due to it.

Nightmare is now technically the only general officer in Equestria, save for the Griffon Kingdom, which hasn't been accounted for yet.