• Published 26th Jul 2016
  • 1,078 Views, 71 Comments

Death Note: Alight Equestria - DeviousNights



"No matter how smart you are, you alone cannot change the world". This is contrary to the beliefs of Maj. Nightmare Moonlit, who plans to do just that with a mysterious black notebook.

  • ...
7
 71
 1,078

LawYer

Attorney General Lawrence Sawyer had a very strong sense of justice. From the tender age of 5, he witnessed the murders of both of his parents at the hands of a serial killer.

Lawrence had just got him from school. His backpack weighed down his back heavily, as he trekked down the woody path that led back to a cabin that he and his parents resided in. He saw that unnaturally his father wasn't outside chopping trees.

Lawrence, mildly confused, walked around the house and inspected the backyard, noticing his father's axe missing from the tree stub that he normally kept it in. Shaking his head he looks through the window and sees two shadows seeming to wrestle with each other.

At first he thought it was his parents messing around, but the absence of his father's axe made him think otherwise.

Sensing something bad had happened, he zipped back to he front of the house and opened the door where he was hit by a chilly gust of air. He ,panicked, surveyed the living room before making a grizzly discovery.

His mother lie in a pool of blood on the floor of the kitchen. Her severed head staring straight at him, the rest of her body behind a counter, censoring the rest of the scene from the child. The splattered bloodstains did not do much justice however, and Lawrence, even in his dazed state could tell what had occurred here.

He stumbled a bit, starting to lose his footing as tears started to form in his eyes. He looked over to his side, sensing movement.

A large, green stallion had began to move from his mother and father's bedroom, tracking blood as he did. He had his father's axe clenched into his teeth, his Pegasus wings folded to his sides.

Lawrence stared at the stallion with choleric look on his face. His teeth began to clench as the tears did no justice for his face, making him look maniacal. He could tell from the amount of blood on the walls of his mother and father's room that his dad was probably in there. Or what was left of him.

His looked seemed to surprise the burly stallion as he cocked his head at the colt.

"Little Colt...well...I can't leave witnesses now can I?" He asked slowly walking to the colt, flinging hair out of his face causing blood to sling onto Lawrence.

Lawrence flicked the hair from his face and stared down the murderer.

"Such...an ugly pony." Lawrence mumbles.

Lawrence used his magic, all of this being done on pure instinct, levitating a kitchen knife from his mother's knife holsters and sent it plunging straight into the pegasus's eye. The stallion roared, falling backwards as the small colt bounced on top of him, his eyes seeming glazed over in anger.

Lawrence removed the knife and began to plunge it into his other eye, wringing his neck as he did. He growled out of pure anger, enacting his vengeance on the murderous stallion. Within less than forty seconds, the deed had been done, and the stallion eased movement, dropping his father's axe from his mouth as he did.

The courts ended in a hung jury for his trail at first, but days later the verdict ended in a not guilty for the murder of the serial killer. The dirty murder scene remained closed Todd to the public since then, eventually being demolished years later.

Lawrence's trail, accusation, and verdict had not been mentioned to any pony outside of the jury and judge. In order to give Sawyer the most normal life they could, they decided to release no information on the case and to submit him into a private school in case any information was leaked about the case to the public.

The event faded from the minds of the ones involved eventually. Except for Lawrence.

The thought of that day haunted him every day. He knew justice had been dealt against the murderer, but what about any other individual? This could happen to anyone else, and he felt powerless to stop it.

Deciding to do what he could, he took that justice and developed it into smarts, gaining a prosecutor license and beginning to prosecute criminals up until he was tapped for promotion to the Attorney General, hence why he is who he is today.

His father's axe is placed on a mantle in his office to this day.

Nightmare took a large bite of his submarine sandwich. It's materials went flying across his table as even Ryuuk sat in awe of his terrible table manners.

"Doesn't the military teach you table manners?" Ryuuk asks picking up an apple that had coincidentally been teleported onto his plate.

"They do. But I'm usually too hungry. You can have this apple if you keep it a secret." He murmurs, picking lettuce from his teeth with his hoof, with no luck. He rolls his eyes and levitates a fork and picks at his teeth, turning to face Ryuuk as he did.

"Welp." Nightmare began, hopping onto his front hooves from the kitchen table. He walked into his living room and down the open door that led to the same bookshelf he had opened many times before. He stared it down, making sure nothing was out of place from the last time he entered his study.

Pulling, pushing, and using magic on the corresponding books, his bookshelf shifted open, revealing the same study as earlier. He pulled up his desk, which had for whatever reason been shifted upward a bit.

"Hm. I don't usually need this to be that close to write." Nightmare wondered aloud before levitating a pen. He checked his phone for any names sent to him by either of his subordinates, to which he found he had not been texted by either. Nightmare shook his head and set the phone down. He tapped his hoof against the desk.

Bored, he used magic to push his microscope towards him. Looking into the creases of the Death Note, he noticed that a page had been torn from the note, or rather part of a page, Crudely torn as if torn in a hurry. Now suspicious, Nightmare continued his inspection. Luckily his military training led him to noticing the smaller things that would have otherwise gone unnoticed by the regular pony. The general put those skills to the test.

Nightmare narrowed his eyes as he turned to the next page, checking to see if that was the only page. It seemed to be the case. He flinched backwards, fearing the worst. Slamming his hoof into the desk, he prepared to take action.

Nightmare dug in his pocket, slapping his cell phone onto the table. Using magic, he pressed the buttons in order, going to a phone call.

"Yes, God?" Nightmare heard on the other line, Lawrence picking up the phone almost immediately. Nightmare had a voice masker on his phone to hide what his voice actually sounded like in case they were in a public place when he called them.

"Strange..." Nightmare commented, noticing an echo in the background as if Lawrence was in a large room or something of the sort. "You didn't go into my study any time recently have you?"

"No God, I haven't."

Nightmare shook his head and shut his phone off, surveying the room for any signs of anything out of order. He spots his wastebasket actually having a price of paper in it. When e NEVER threw anything away. It was just there purely for decorative purposes.

He unfurled the paper onto his desk reading through it. He read each word carefully, a sly smile crawling across his face as he did.

"Oh really now Rarity?"

Author's Note: