• Published 11th Jun 2016
  • 12,937 Views, 389 Comments

MLP: The Magic of... Music? - The Bricklayer



So Twilight discovers human radio and decides to share it with her teacher. However, they are shocked at what they find. And soon, everypony wants a listen...

  • ...
32
 389
 12,937

Part 20: The Meaning of his Tears/Hell's Bells

Now, by this time, before the next song started Twilight quickly paused it when she heard knocking at her front door.

KNOCK! KNOCK!

"Alright already, hold your horses. I'm a-coming." Applejack said as she opened the door and was very nearly barreled over by all three members of the Cutie Mark Crusaders.

"Hello girls!" Twilight greeted cheerfully, happy to see the three young fillies again and for them to be able to enjoy more music. "I assume you want to hear some more human music?"

"Uh-huh!" Apple Bloom nodded while Scootaloo could barely stay in one spot due to her excitement as she said "Show us what you got Twilight!"

"Okay then girls. Let's see what Twi can wrangle up for us!" Applejack told them as Twilight resumed the song.

This next song, it began with a violin solo before giving way to soft piano notes for a short while before a female singer, sounding around the age of a child asked if the listeners felt anything, that did they really see the reason behind some poor child's tears. An influx of emotions from the listeners was felt from the song's lyrics and the emotion from the singer singing them. Sadness, sorrow, and maybe a few tears of their own were shed as the song continued as the singer asked the question of what had they done.

"By Celestia, this song..." Rarity whispered.

"It's so sad..." Pinkie added in, her hair deflated and no trace of her normal giddiness. The song continued, asking if they could see the intention of their goal, which showed clearly in their eyes, which were glistening with fear. The song asked to drown out the color and turn a blind eye to what they had done.

"What did we do? What did we do?" Twilight asked, not expecting an answer but she did it anyways, wondering why the song was questioning these things.

"I don't know Twi, remember it's just a song." Rainbow reminded her, putting a wing around her friend in a comforting manner.

:You don't think it's about..." Rarity asked, not daring to consider what her mind was thinking, the train of thoughts it was traveling down. "A-Abuse?" She stuttered out, feeling very sick with herself for even thinking it.

"By Celestia, if that's the case..." Twilight sobbed, foal abuse was one of the worst crimes imaginable in her mind. She rememebered when Rainbow had privately confessed to her that the reason she lived with Fluttershy when she was young was that her own parents had abused her when she was just a filly. From that day forwards, out of loyalty to one of her best friends, Twilight kept a keen eye in look out for anypony who lived in a similar situation, and if she found out about it, mentally promised to bring the full wraith of a Alicorn Princess down upon them.

"Change it, change it please!" Scootaloo asked, not wanting to dwell on the possibility of a foal being abused any more then she had to.

"Perhaps that's a good idea." Twilight agreed, not wanting to listen to this song any longer herself. And so, she turned the dials to another station...

The next song began with soft synthesizer notes, before a video appeared with the Wonderbolts logo becoming visible after the stunt ponies shown onscreen got behind one another and curled up into a ball as one of their tricks before breaking apart in an explosion of color. But that wasn't all, as a strange winged vehicle that was mostly dark blue with golden detailing on it's wings and down the center was shown next after the logo faded out rocketed skywards up into a clear blue sky somewhere in the desert at a landing strip.

"Wow, what is that thing?" Apple Bloom asked in wonder while her fellow Crusaders were awestruck.

"Well, seeing as how this video is seemingly a tribute to the Wonderbolts, maybe that's their human equivalent." Rainbow guessed.

"But humans don't look like that." Sweetie Belle asked only for Scootaloo to roll her eyes.

"Of course they don't! But maybe they need a vehicle like that to fly!" The young Pegasus guessed even as onsceeen the Wonderbolts did more and more tricks, each even more death defying than the last.

"Wow..." Twilight whispered in awe, now she understood why Rainbow looked up to these ponies if they could preform aerial maneuvers like those.

"You see, that's why I want to become one, that right there!" Rainbow gushed before she began to brag. "And I'm so awesome, I bet I will someday!"

"Alright already, we get it. We all know you want to become one, no need to repeat yourself." Applejack deadpanned in an annoyed tone of voice while Rainbow glared at her rival for interrupting her.

"Those blue vehicles and their pilots are no slouches themselves." Rarity observed as the onscreen vehicles did tricks like close flying, sometimes almost directly on top of each other and rocketing over fields of grass.

"Ya got that right, they should just be already inducted into the Wonderbolts as honorary members!" Scootaloo cheered.

"I can get behind that, squirt!" Raindow agreed, and then there was a small thud as Scootaloo fainted from the phrase shown by her rival. Sweetie Belle, on seeing this, muttered "Oh brother..."


Canterlot: Canterlot Castle

"Tell me what happened, all of it." Celestia ordered once she had finished taking in the young Prince's words while Luna comforted him by extending a dark blue wing around Shining. Neither could offer any words of comfort, as they were too stunned by the revelation that Grogar was alive and it seemed, completely healthy despite what they knew of his situation.

"A-Alright, it happened like this..." Shining started to explain as he flashbacked to what had happened only a few days before...


The deepest parts of Tartarus

The shadowy form of the Goat Necromancer rushed forwards, a black cloud covering everypony like the shroud of death itself. The room was filled with smoke, and just barely visible through it were two dark golden eyes, shining like a harbinger of doom with two horns almost invisible through the smoke above them.

"Form up!" Shining shouted from somewhere in the smoke. This was Grogar's favorite tactic, divide up his opponents, confuse them as to his true location and then conquer them. The Crystal Guards, however were far too scattered to properly form their ranks and began easily getting picked off by their foe one by one.

"He's beating us!" Bright Gem yelled in fear. "Sir, what are our orders?"

"I don't... I don't know..." Shining whispered in fear. He'd never encountered a foe quite like Grogar before and so he, despite not wanting to admit it, had no idea on how to deal with him.

"Sir! What do we do?" Bright Gem asked once more. Shining now knew there was only one thing he and his men could do.

"Retreat!" Shining ordered and his men began to run for it. As Shining ran, a blade of purple energy nicked his leg, and he fell to the ground bleeding and in pain just in time to see Bright Gem cut down directly in front of him.

"NO!" Shining shouted even as Grogar laughed long and hard.

"You fools just don't have what it takes to beat me, so run away and hide. Not that you can avoid me for long, as I always find you." Grogar chuckled. "I am the reason ponies fear death, why they try so hard to run and escape it, why they take life for granted and celebrate it so for I am the Lord of the Dead!"

Shining's eyes widened in fear and horror as Grogar's terrifying speech concluded even as the sole remaining member of his squad, Flash Sentry extended a hoof to help him up.

"Come on, sir! We need to regroup!" He exclaimed and pulled his commander up off the ground and put a hoof around him to support him and help him walk.

"I swear Grogar, you'll pay for what you've done today." Shining growled even as he and Flash ran up some steps to flee the scene...

Present Day

"S-So that's it. That's exactly what happened." Shining explained sobbingly to the two Princesses, it had taken him a few days to make the trip back to Canterlot even with the Friendship Express, and it pained him every step of the way to know that he had a failure to report, and to know that it was his fault almost all of his men were dead.

"It's... It's my fault, I got my men killed and failed to stop Grogar, and now, he's probably getting ready to-"

"NO!" Luna suddenly shouted. "Stop right there, stop blaming yourself! It's not your fault that your men are dead, did you kill them yourself?" She asked.

"N-No, but I may as well have! I led them to their death! I'm the reason their families have to mourn!" Shining replied even as he broke down. Luna's gaze then became firm and it seemingly bored into his very soul.

"No, you are not the reason. Grogar is, he's the reason they're dead so stop blaming yourself understand?" Luna ordered, and Shining nodded as he gave Luna a look of gratefulness.

"T-Thanks, I needed that." He whispered even as Flash Sentry looked towards Celestia.

"So what do we do now?" He asked, and Celestia almost at once answered him. She knew there was only one thing to do.

"Send a letter to Twilight, she needs to know what's happened. The Elements of Harmony are needed once more." Celestia ordered even as Luna's, Flash's, and Shining's eyes widened...

Author's Note:

Well, there you have it folks, just what happened to Shining Armor and his men as they battled Grogar the Necromancer. Sorry for the lame action scene by the way, but I just can't write those very well as much as I can write character focused drama. There are some things I simply cannot do. And now, a request for the songs for the next few chapters, I need epic songs for the final battle with Grogar, just please no Free Bird or Stairway. I've heard both of those enough times already on the radio. Also, before I forget, thank you to Zaravan for the song suggestion.