• Published 25th Apr 2016
  • 3,526 Views, 2,102 Comments

Lyra-7% - Meep the Changeling



A technoarcane device sends a human version Lyra on a journey through the Equestrian Multiverse.

  • ...
19
 2,102
 3,526

29 XP and Waffle Time.

Lyra Heartstrings - 5th of Megan 17 EoH - Noon

Multiverse Location: The Prime, Equis #0B

I honestly didn’t expect Sky’s comment about getting lunch to be anything other than a joke. A sort of ‘Ass kicked! One-linering for effect!’ deal. Bonbon and I used to do that all the time back in the day. Turns out he was serious. Very serious.

“We’re actually getting lunch?” I asked for a second time.

“Yep,” Sky said with an eye roll as he slammed a button on the console to his right and the mech’s neck slid up to allow us to leave.

“But why?” I asked.

“Are you serious?” Sky asked incredulously. “You’re a human. You’re extinct here. You also claim to come from another universe, which while not a first for myself or the hive, is still a big deal. Skritt will want to talk to you. He will have questions, I will have questions, my sister will have questions… You don’t just show up on our doorstep without getting asked questions.

“But, because we’re not assholes, you get asked questions over lunch. It makes it less of an interrogation.”

That peaked my suspicion. “None of the other yous felt the urge to interrogate me,” I informed.

“Well, they’re not me for starters,” Sky said rolling his eyes as he stood up. “It’s nothing personal. And it’s not my call. I live in the hive, so I abide by the Captain’s rules. And Cap says all visitors are questioned. Don’t worry about it. It’s just like customs, we are our own micronation after all.”

The explanation did allay my fears a bit. After all, you had to go through customs entering or leaving any city back home. Maybe this universe was just a bit more, well, normal.

<You mean ironfisted,> Cheer.ly muttered.

<Oh come on, you share my memories. Sure things suck a bit but other things are cool. That’s how human history’s always been,> I countered, rolling my eyes.

Sky gave me a weird look. “Um, did you just have a mini internal argument? You looked like you just-”

I shook my head. “No. I’ve got an integrated VI. Improves reaction times, manages muscle memory, runs basic computer type tasks. She got ‘improved’ by Twilight and now she’s basically a full on person and-”

Sky’s ears flattened in alarm. “Uhhh, okay. So… That’s fucking horrific!”

I frowned. “It’s not that bad. It’s annoying to have a second speaking voice in your head but all of the rest of her functions are standard upgrades we made to ourselves and-”

<Ask him about medical services,> Cheer.ly reminded me.

“Oh, shit, right. She does reminders too,” I explained. “She wants to be unfucked. I want her to be unfucked. Like, do you have neurosurgeons in this universe or-”

Sky nodded quickly. “Yes. I have a little brother who's a classically trained biomancer, and a sister who's a classically trained Wizard. I’m going to get your ass to one or both as quick as possible because no one should ever ever ever share headspace. Ever.

“New subject time! Oh look your friends are at Big’s feet.”

I looked down, and spotting my friends looking up at me, I decided to jump. I opened my wings before I hit the ground and simply slowed down, hitting the ground a little hard for my liking but not hard enough to do more than hurt a little.

Definitely still room for the flying improvements.

The second my boots hit the ground Fluttershy gave me a half angry half saddened stare, prompting me to frown.

“What is it? Are you okay? Did you get hit?” I asked.

“You left us!” Shy accused, more hurt than upset.

I felt my face scrunch up, one eye widening in my confusion. “Not intentionally. We were in the middle of an artillery barrage!” I exclaimed, shocked she was hurt by the situation.

“It was just pegasi lightning,” Shy accused. “Family and friends stick together. Help each other, and support each other!”

Bon hissed softly and coiled up to hide her face. Clearly still afraid. Probably because of the huge mech behind us.

Just pegasi lightning!? The fuck was she on about? “Oh, so I suppose that when a pegasi is hit by lightning they just get a pleasant tingle? I could have been killed! I got hit square in the back! If this jacket hadn't taken the hit I would have fried!” I shot back.

“W-well,” Shy began, clearly upset by my yelling, a fact which made me feel awful instantly.

“Look, I’m sorry I yelled,” I apologise with a sigh. “But I was inside a lightning storm with thousands of bolts per second being dropped right on my head. Can you understand how I might panic?”

“You’re acting like you could have died,” Fluttershy said in an odd tone.

Our argument broke Bonbon’s attention away from staring up in reverent awe at Sky’s mech. She tilted her head curiously for a moment then nodded to herself. “I believe I have found the source of your conflict,” she announced. “Fluttershy, how much electrical current can a pegasi have pass through them before they are injured?”

Fluttershy bit her lip. “Um… Well, a full power bolt from a pegasi will kill one of us. But those weren't full power, the flashes were blue, not white. So um, about… I’m sorry it’s been a long time since High School. I think ten thousand amps is the upper limit before it’s going to injure you. But that’s for pegasi, other pony kinds have a bit less resistance.”

Ohhhhh! Yeah that would definitely do

Bonbon nodded. “Then I am correct. You can survive the lightning you generate. Which makes sense. After all, you create it. Humans however, can die from electric shock from exposure to a mere seventeen to ninety nine miliamps, and-”

Fluttershy eeped, eyes widening. “Oh my gosh! I’m so sorry! I didn’t even think- I mean, those bolts wouldn’t have hurt any ponies, and you’re a lot like a pony. So um-”

I knelt down and gave her a quick hug. “Hey, it’s alright. We both didn’t know something about each other. It’s fine. And you know, I agree, family does stick together. And I’d have stuck with you if I wasn’t in a total panic... But yeah, one of those bolts would definitely have killed me instantly. I don't have whatever magical protections you do against electricity.”

Fluttershy hugged me tightly. “Um, h-how about we explain ourselves first? You know, when we get mad at eachother next time? I’m sure we could avoid fighting.”

That seemed sensible. All couples argued sometimes. Hell, I was surprised we hadn’t had one before.

I nodded in agreement, opening my mouth to speak as Sky called, “Is the couple fight over?” from above us.

Bonbon looked up, squinted, noticed Sky’s Roger Smith suit and squeed. “I NEED you to sign um, something! Anything! I’d say cockpit but I don't have one of those!”

Sky smirked. “Sorry, had to promise the wife I wouldn’t sign sexy body parts. But I’ll give you a tour once he’s back in the hanger,” Sky said before bringing his watch up to his mouth. “Big Sai, it’s curtain call.”

The Mech’s hatch hissed as it closed. The ground rumbling as it sank back down into the sand, presumably to teleport when out of sight. I honestly couldn’t remember if the show ever showed it returning to storage. Bonbon would kno-

“Oh my gosh that’s awesome! That’s exactly how I liked to think of how they got it back into the subway system!” BB squealed.

Sky beamed her a similar grin. “I know, right? I mean, my system is superior in that the Big is teleported to and from the hanger using a matter displacement system, while filling the hanger with whatever matter was in the way and then replace it as it rises to as to not destabilize the ground but- Ahem. Sorry, I just noticed that you look almost exactly like er… Well that’s clearly another universe fluttershy. Ours doesn't have cybernetic eyes. You’re not my kid from another universe, are you?”

The confused look on Sky’s face was adorable. It almost made up for my still adrenaline pumping heart spreading that general unease.

BB shook her head, paused then nodded. “Well, not traditionally… But I could technically be seen as your offspring. In the classic science-fiction sense. I am an android, formerly a very sexy fighter jet, sadly downgraded in platform but still happy to be alive. But as an alternate version of yourself designed and built my parts, I am technically kind of sort of your daughter. You know, in that classic sci-fi way.”

Sky breathed a sigh of relief. “Oh thank goodness! Pinkie would have flipped if another her had foals first,” he said, turning to face everyone one at a time. “Alright. So. Not to get all tyrannical on you, but this is Emerald Hive’s Sovereign Territory, and there are laws here. Our Captain is going to want to talk to you. No worries, nothing scary. Normally it wouldn’t even be him but you are dimension jumpers so that is just a bit important.

“Mind giving me your names? So I can introduce you four?”

Fluttershy nodded. “Oh! Of course. My homes’ Emeralds did the same thing. Before um, well, we had some bad times. Security is easier now. I’m Fluttershy, but you know that already… Is your me also one of Celestia’s Knight Errants?”

Sky shook his head. “Uh, no. I mean, yeah ours was knighted. But Celestia disbanded the Errant Order like, three hundred years ago. Luna is PISSED about that.”

Fluttershy tilted her head in confusion. “O-of course she would be! Luna worked so hard to found the order. I can’t imagine she just let Celestia disband it- I.. um, sorry,” Fluttershy stopped ears drooping. “M-may I see a history book later?”

Sky nodded and turned to me. “You know, your hair and that fake tail of yours look a lot like my frienemy’s colors,” he said casually.

I laughed. “Heh, yeah. I’m my universe's Lyra Heartstrings. I wound up existing back in human times, apparently.”

Sky snorted, and then bit his lip to hold in a laugh of epic proportions. “Ow! Sides! Sides popped. Too funny!”

“Why does everyone think it’s so funny that I’m human?” I muttered, half to him, half to myself.

Sky laughed. “Oh man! I should teleport Lyra here right now. You’d learn why! But then she’d be here to bug me about building her a full body bipedal prosthesis… Which I’d do if she even appreciated the combat exoskeleton I made for her...” He grumbled.

I narrowed my eyes. “Wait, you made her a combat exoskeleton?”

Sky nodded.

“And she doesn't appreciate that?” I asked.

“Not one bit,” Sky grumbled suddenly mimicking my exact voice. “Yeah it stands up on two legs, but I wanted a costume! This is all bulky! I know I said I wanted a bipedal suit. Yeah that’s not specific but I figured you knew me well! I don’t even need it because I’m already stronger than most ponies! It doesn't even have hands, these are talons!”

I felt my jaw drop. “Sweet fucking physics! How about I slap myself and you regift it to me?”

Sky smiled wistfully then laughed. “No can do,” he lamented in his own voice. “But that would be funny to see. No but seriously, our you is nice. I don’t hate her or anything. She just owes me an apology she won't give because we’re equally stubborn and it’s turned into a game of who breaks first. Anywho-”

Turning his attention to Bonbon, still smiling from laughing he asked, “do you have a name, a serial, or should I just call you champ, or honey?”

Heh, a kid joke.

Bonbon nodded. “I am AI Co-Pilot number four-two-six-eff-six-ee-six-two-six-eff-six-ee software version one. Lyra calls me Bonbon, which is coincidentally-”

“The name of our Lyra’s wife,” Sky snickered. “Heh heh, gotta love small coincidences.”

“That is odd and interesting,” BB mused. “But I meant that my serial number also spells Bonbon in hexadecimal. Including the capital letter bee.”

Sky blinked, then grinned. “So then, your short name would be BB, and since you’re series one… that makes you BB-1, right?”

BB nodded. “Yes, that is an acceptable nickname.”

“Too bad you’re not version eight,” Sky said turning to Bon’s coiled up pile. “Hey, how about you, what’s your name? You’re not the biting kind, are you?”

“N-no…” Bon said shyly. “Is the bigger snake gone?”

Sky frowned giving me a look. “Is she a kid?”

I nodded. “Yeah, long story,” I informed as I walked over and gave Bon a hug as best I could. “It’s gone hon, it’s okay now.”

“It was too big to eat!” Bon whimpered fearfully.

Sky flinched and took a step back.

“It’s fine, Bon dosen’t like pony,” I soothed.

Sky raised an eyebrow. “Wait… If BB-1 was a jet, and you named her then you were her pilot which means, you named your kid after one of her mom's!?”

“Aunt,” Bonbon corrected. “Lyra and I are sisters. Both the snake and I are named after Lyra's childhood friend… I… I thought all these years she could read hex.”

“And she really doesn't like pony,” Fluttershy added again. “She’s definitely in the civil monster category. But um, she still might eat a pony if threatened.”

“No! You tasted really yukky,” Bon said. “I’d squishdadid them.”

“She’s a constrictor. Used to be my pet Anaconda,” I explained.

“Oh! Yeah, that makes sense. Anacondas have like, never attacked ponies. Not on record at least,” Sky said, sounding relieved. He walked back over to Bon and gave her a gentle pat. “Sorry for all that scary lightning and the ‘bigger snake’ there, kid. But it’s all over now, you’re mom’s right. We’ll get you some place warm and comfortable and get you fed if you need it.”

“I needz it!” Bon exclaimed poking her head out from her coils eagerly.

I gave Bon’s head a loving skritch, hoping that wasn’t inappropriate now. Deciding not to think about that I turned to Sky and began to slip off the VM. “Um, so, I sort of came here because-”

Sky raised a hoof to cut me off. “Sorry, but I got your names, so I need to do the thing,” Sky sighed pulling his watch up and tapping a few commands into it. “Hey, Captain? Sky here, I’ve got a few civilians. The not from this rock kind. One of them appears to be human aside from a possibly real tail.”

“Are you serious?” The captain asked.

Not angrily, not irritably. Just in that military officer ‘please repeat that’ tone. Everyone in a military learns that tone.

“Yep. I figured you would want to do the standard customs. Because apparently they have business here. That’s what Sai told me at least,” Sky finished.

“Are they within earshot?” The captain asked.

“Yes,” Sky answered.

“Right then, Civilians, welcome to Phoenix. This is our little plot of the badlands and despite the lack of checkpoints and border fences, this is our sovereign nation,” the captain said in a oddly welcoming voice. “We’re not going to hassle you, but all travelers who pass through here are questioned. Especially your kind of travelers. There are a lot of people out there who would like to steal some of our trade secrets, as we are an industrial superpower.

“It’s nothing personal. I’m sure Sky’s explained the basics. All you have to do is be honest and answer any questions myself, Sky here, or our resident magic expert have for you. It shouldn’t take more than twenty minutes, and if you’d like, lunch can be provided. If you decline to let us learn why you are here, our scouts will happily show you the path to the nearest oasis so you can fill up on water rations and be on your way. Understood?”

“Understood, sir,” I answered. “I understand customs checks and will comply.”

“A military type, eh?” The captain mused. “Good. Too few people coming through here know what proper respect is. I’ll see you in person shortly. Sky, if you’d warn your sister and transport everyone…”

“Sure thing,” Sky said with a nod, tapping his watch again. “Hey sis, time to do the whole customs thing with those people Sai told us about. Ready for the port?”

“Yeah, go ahead,” a female voice answered.

“Your sister?” Fluttershy said curiously. “My you don't have a sister.”

“Not surprising,” Sky said casually. “The odds of any particular Emerald changeling egg hatching is very low.”

“Oh! Adopted sister,” Fluttershy said, nodding to herself.

“No,” Sky said firmly. “Sister. The normal kind.”

Fluttershy tilted her head. “You’re a changeling too?”

“No. I just have a family which doesn't care to have ‘partial’ members,” Sky replied looking around at everyone. “Have any of you not teleported before? Everyone cool with me teleporting us to a meeting room? The Phoenix is huge, site to site transporters are the best way to get around her.”

I didn't have any problems with that. Hell, it’s basically how I got anywhere these days…

“We literally just came through a portal to get here,” Bonbon pointed out.

Sky nodded. “Yeah. But consent and stuff. Right then, Sai? Mind doing the thing?”

“Sure thing boss,” Sai said from Sky’s watch.

I expected to see the light show as we teleported. Like, the world would go blue with the swirling and helixing trails. Instead, the world around me just sort of, changed. The sand vanished, replaced by a rather nice hardwood floor. The open desert became a not too small, but not too big office style room, with a single large table, several chairs, and a nice dark wood paneling around the lower half of the white steel walls.

The others appeared split seconds after me, again, not light shows. Just sort of ‘jump cut’ into the room. I felt a bit jipped…

“Sorry for the lack of a light show,” Sky apologised as if knowing what I was thinking. “There’s no visual with the teleports themselves, and my holoprojector can only cover two people with something cool. Not enough oomph in the battery.”

A moment later and the room’s sliding doors hissed open, allowing two changelings to enter. One was Ayna, she looked much the same as her counterpart, down to the brand on her flanks. The difference in was how she carried herself. Less timid, a lot less.

The other changeling looked old as hell. You didn’t even need to know what an old changeling looked like to tell he was old, this bug was a self evident example. He had squarish features, a short cropped dull green mane which was tucked into a simple military type cap, unadorned save for a small silver pin which looked to be a military emblem with four gold stars in a row beneath it.

The precious metals in his hat shone with a nice luster implying they were polished. And his chitten was a dull dingy flat color which looked old and worn to the point of ‘death soon’. His body could use some of that polish. As it was, he looked like he was being animated purely by tenacity and contempt for death. The only thing about his body, including his short calculated movements, which didn’t scream ‘old!’ were his eyes.

He had the single most stern eyes I’d ever seen in my life. One look at them and you knew he was weighing you mentally and factoring you into a dozen different calculations. The only reason you knew he wasn’t about to kick your ass was the slim but genuine smile of an officer who enjoied their job and was liked by their command.

Lucky fucking changelings. I only got one of those officers… And he was court martialed.

“Good day,” Captain Skriit greeted, nodding to everyone and the chairs. “Please take a seat.”

To my surprise, everyone sat down immediately. Including Bon, who simply coiled up onto a chair. He hadn’t even used command voice. Damn!

Ayna and Sky took seats across the table from us, the captain getting up into a chair between the two with a bit more effort that anyone should have to have taken.

“Sky, would you introduce everyone?” The captain asked.

Sky nodded. “Left to right we have an alternate reality’s Fluttershy Meadowbrook-”

Fluttershy timidly raised her right hoof.

“Yes?” Sky asked with a frown.

“Um, that’s not my family name. My full name is Fluttershy de Qui Dracones, Metuo.”

Ayna blinked. “Uh, your world still does Old Equish family names?”

Fluttershy nodded.

“Is the name-” Ayna began.

“Yes, my great great grandfather earned it for us,” she explained. “I um, I guess family jobs and names are not traditionally carried on here? I- I mean I wasn’t ever good at it, but my dad did still train me a little.”

“Cool! Sounds like you’re probably a good deal different from our Fluttershy,” Ayna said with a small smile.

The Captain turned his head. “May I know what importance her name holds?”

“I second that question,” I agreed. “I don't think you ever told me your family name before.”

“W-well it doesn't really matter anymore…” Fluttershy admitted, looking down sadly enough to make me wish I could hug her in this formal setting.

“In modern Equish the name translates as ‘who dragons fear’,” Ayna explained. “The ‘de’ indicates the family name is of a noble house which earned its nobility through an act of heroism. I assume her ancestor slew a dragon.”

Fluttershy nodded. “Yes.”

That’s fucking awesome! “You need to tell me that story sometime!” I whispered excitedly.

Sky snickered. “Heh! Sorry. I just pictured our Fluttershy training to be a dragonslayer! Oh man, can you imagine? With how much of a scaredy cat she used to be? She loves animals so much, she’d wind up-”

Fluttershy ears drooped in embarrassment. “Y-yes, I once stopped a dragon by convincing it to have some tea and talk it out… She didn’t seem evil. I didn’t want to hurt her… Also dragonslayers are supposed to fight more than dragons. You’d be afraid of the dark and creepy sounds too if you knew what the things that lived there can do to a pony…”

The captain coughed. “Understood. Moving on.”

Sky nodded. “Sorry. Anywho, to Fluttershy’s left is a Lyra Heartstrings, then an android by the name BB-1, and lastly Lyra’s adopted child Bon. She is harmless.”

The Captain nodded and looked at each of us in turn.

“I am Skritt Verril Krra, Captain of the Emerald Changelings,” he introduced. “I make all of the policies regarding to civilian and military life within our hive. You can think of me as our Prime Minister, and Supreme Commander. It’s my job to ensure our hive is safe and prosperous inside and out.

“To my left is our Chief Engineer, Sky Trigger. He is in charge of all technological policy including our ongoing restoration efforts and our manufacturing trade. To my right is our acting Archmage, Ayna Trigger. She is currently in charge of all matters arcane within the Hive.

“Normally, the Bridge Officers would not be personally questioning visitors, but, assuming you four are infact extra dimensional as you claim, it is my decision as Captain that whether you may conduct business here or not is a matter for we senior officers to decide, and no one else.

“Before we begin, is anyone here hungry? Do you have any questions yourselves?”

Bonbon quickly raised a hoof. “Yes sir,” she said. “I heard Ayna referred to by the rank of Lieutenant. Is there not a higher ranked mage to fill the slot of a bridge crew member?”

The captain nodded to Ayna, who replied. “We are a meritocracy in terms of who gains what position. The rank structure is not military, it’s civilian and is a sort of social hierarchy based on individual achievements and responsibilities. We don’t use standard Equestrian Ranks, so Lieutenant is rather high here.

“The Emerald Hive uses Old Equestrian ranks. Which means Lieutenant is a ‘Captain’s direct second in command’ rank. We only use five ranks total. Cadet, Trooper, Commander, Lieutenant, and Captain. But again, that’s just a sort of individual achievement recognition thing. Our leader is also called Captain, but historically there have been people socially ranked as Commanders and Lieutenants filling the command chair.

“As for the position of Archmage, I’m an acting Archmage. The job is mine, but not officially, I have it because the previous archmage died two months ago, and this position will no longer be mine once it has been properly filled by our best qualified mage. Which may turn out to be me, but I do not know as the trials are still ongoing. May we begin, or does anyone else have questions?”

Everyone nodded or shook their heads. Skriit sighed. “A verbal yes or no, please. And also, is anyone hungry? Last chance… Well, last chance to eat right now. There is always right afterwards. I won't send you into the desert unfed.”

“Let’s just get the questions done with,” I proposed.

Fluttershy nodded. “That sounds like a good idea.”

The captain nodded in satisfaction. “Good. Left to right. What are your occupations?”

“Um, former Knight Errant under Princess Celestia and member of the Elements of Harmony. Now retired,” Fluttershy replied.

“Decommissioned United Americas Alliance Spaceborn Ace Pilot,” I answered.

“I was her jet. Now I’m installed in a way to slow flying android frame,” Bonbon answered.

“You were her jet?” The captain asked with a raised eyebrow.

“Yes. UAA fighter craft have artificial intelligences as copilots,” BB explained. “Personally, I saw my old frame as my body. Which makes me her jet.”

“I understand,” Captain Skriit said with a nod. “Now then, Bon was it? What’s your occupation?”

“I’m a snek!” Bon exclaimed happily.

The captain blinked and looked over at me. “She’s a foal, sir,” I said.

“Oh,” the captain stood up and walked across the room to a small panel set in the wall, touched a hoof to it and ordered. “Computer: one whole chicken, boneless, lemon and garlic.”

I had just enough time for Cheer.ly and I to squee <Holy shit a replicator!> together before the device conjured up a freshly cooked chicken.

<WE NEED FIVE!> Cheer.ly exclaimed happy-enviously.

<Agreed!> I said just as happy-enviously.

The captain picked the chicken up with his magic and carried it over to Bon, setting it on the table before her. “Here kid, have something to munch on while I finish up business with your mother,” he said, moving back to his chair.

Bon sniffed the chicken, licked it, eyes instantly lighting up happily. “I love you!” Bon exclaimed before grabbing the chicken off the plate it came on with her jaws, daring back into her coils and eating the savory meal.

The captain chuckled, smiling for a moment before turning his attention back to us.

“I assume you are traveling as a group. What is your reason for coming here? Or did you end up in our territory by chance?” he asked.

Fluttershy smiled shyly. “I um, I’m just traveling with my marefriend,” she admitted, nodding towards me just a little bit.

“I’m just following my sister around because she got me this body mid trip and it’s not like I have anything else to do,” Bonbon answered.

“I haz chicken!” Bon exclaimed muffidly.

Alright. It was time. I slipped the VM off my wrist. Reluctantly setting it on the table. It had been a source of a lot of pain in my ass, spine, chest…everything really. But what other human could say they had a trip this awesome?

“You could say this has been the most convoluted ‘return the dropped wallet’ ever,” I began. “I had this thing show up in my apartment… Explosively. I’m an electronics hobbyist so I decided to tinker with it, found the SkyTech branding inside, fixed her up as best I could to see what it did and well… Turns out it makes portals to alternate dimensions. I figured that’s a pretty important device, and well, the right thing to do is return it. So I’ve been hopping around the multiverse looking for you.”

I pointed to Sky and slid the VM across the table to him. “There ya go. I hope that it’s at least a little important. Because I can’t go back home now… And not just because it’s targeting is scrambled, but because it finally broke, and also I have wings now, and I… Um, well, no one back home would let Fluttershy just live with me. So yeah. Kinda stranded now. Should have thought further ahead than ‘return wallet.’ “

Sky picked up the VM and popped it out of the case, looking at it curiously. “Huh… Yeah no, I remember loosing this. That was last year, no... Two years ago. I thought it had teleported myself and a few friends but not itself. I always thought that Lily kicked it into a corner or something.

“You’re telling me this breached the god damn Prime Barrier?”

“Um, if that means it wound up moving like seven universes down and two hundred and fifty three million years back, yep,” I replied.

Sky shook his head seemingly impressed. “Good thing I didn’t go along for the ride,” he mumbled to himself. “Sorry you went through this whole ordeal… Uh, I sort of feel like an asshole for just making another one...”

I took a deep breath and let it out slowly. That was more than a little frustrating.

Sky nodded with an apologetic wince. “Yeah… But seriously, thanks for bringing this back! Lots of science can be pulled from this thing.”

“Am I to understand that you risked life and limb to return some of our property to us?” The captain asked rhetorically.

“Yes, sir,” I answered with a firm nod. “It was simply the right thing to do.”

“You have no other business here?” He asked.

I nodded again. “That’s it.”

“And now you are homeless due to not wishing to leave your marefriend behind?” He asked again.

I nodded. “That’s right… Also Bon can’t go back either and well, she’s my kid… And the wings. We don’t have cybernetics that good.”

“What wings?” The captain asked with a frown.

“They fold into my back, long story,” I began. “It involves a mage named Twilight-”

“Ah, a Code Lavender. I understand,” Captain Skriit sighed. “I suppose we should just hope one of her never figured out how to communicate with the other hers out there in the many worlds. And speaking of Archmages, Ayna?”

“None of them have lied or concealed the truth, Captain,” Ayna said calmly.

Wait, what?! I felt my eyes widen in alarm. “You’ve been reading our minds this whole time!?”

Ayna shook her head. “No. I cast a spell which merely alerts me if whatever you speak is not completely factual. It’s standard procedure for these interviews.”

“Oh, thank physics!” I said with a relieved sigh.

Fluttershy giggled. “I keep forgetting you have no experience with magic,” she whispered to me with a blush.


“Very good,” the captain said decisively. “I assume you realize of course, that with your device broken, you are stranded in this universe. But what you may not have accounted for is the fact that our universe's Fluttershy is alive, and well, is quite famous. While ours is quite, er, lithe.You, Miss de Qui Dracones, Metuo, are fairly overweight.”

Fluttershy’s ears drooped. I felt my blood boil a little. No one calls my girl fat! Chubby, plump, and cute yes, but not fucking fat!

The captain made a small fearful face as he realized how we must have taken his words,.“Not that I mean insult by my words, nor calling you ‘fat’. I recognise that you are below the medical status fat by at least forty kilograms. I am merely pointing out that while you are instantly visually distinguishable from our Fluttershy, you are still very very close to her in appearance and could be mistaken for her. Which means you would be in violation of identity theft laws, as well as the Changeling Impressions of Civic Figures Act of oh-nine which prohibits Changelings in Equestria from using the forms of public officials without permission and good reason.

“This means you can not live in Equestria. And Fluttershy, as an Element in our world is a highly political person. You would be mistaken for her in nearly every country on Equis. Which could be fatal, or an irritating hassle depending on a number of factors.

“And Miss heartstrings, as a human, a species long extinct on our world, you would be an object of fassination. You needn't fear dissection or captivity, well…not in proper nations like Equestria. But you would be hounded by many people… Including our version of yourself. Who I am somewhat suspicious can smell you all the way in Ponyville and may be making a beeline for this office as we speak,” the captain joked.

I got his point, but I still had to sigh. “Why does everyone insist that other me’s are obsessed to the point of insanity? I met one, all she did was ask questions and trace my hands. Very professional.”

“I wish we had that Lyra,” Sky muttered.

Ayna cleared her throat. “Our universe has a small community of crypto archeologists. Human existence is not officially scientific for… Well, um… Most early ponies believed the rare fossils of your species to just be a non-sentient ape. While modern archeology has shown that a sentient species existed back in your time period, we Emeralds are unique in knowing your species name, face, and deeds due to our home being a preserved starship your species built. Ponykind’s academics are still certain that the ‘Ancient People’ were quadrupeds, not bipeds, and that they were the ancestors to Diamond Dogs.

“Ponies like Lyra somehow learned the name human and it’s been a conspiracy theory for over three thousand years. But in recent times, it’s sort of a fantasy fandom. With cosplay, conventions, and roleplaying. Our Lyra Heartstrings is very entrenched in the fandom, and can best be described as a rabid human fangirl who has contributed several key archaeological finds to science… But is discredited by rightfully insisting humans built them.

“And I’m not just saying this as I know her by reputation. One of the pony identities I maintain is an author. And um, well it’s a strong niche market with a surprising amount of bits to burn, so I write human fiction. I’m honestly responsible for a lot of the tropes in use, as I know of your species from our ship's archives… Anyways, Lyra has commissioned several novels from me. One of which hilariously enough stars her as a character in which she goes back in time and befriends a human who becomes her blood sister after some misadventures together.”

“Oh,” I said now fully understanding their opinion of this universe's me. “I understand.”

The Captain nodded. “Sorry for the misunderstanding. I thought you would appreciate a little humor,” he said. “Let me summarize my point for you. As you four are a family unit, I do not imagine you wish to split up. As you can not leave our world you must live here. You would not be able to do so comfortably in any nation I can think of. Save for mine.

“Therefore, in gratitude for your risking of life and limb to return our property, and in light of your military experience, Miss Heartstrings and Miss de Qui Dracones, Metuo, you could be of service to our hive in many different ways. In light of these facts, I would like to offer all of you probationary citizenship in the Emerald Hive.”

I felt my heart skip a beat. “Wait, what? Seriously? Just like that?!”

The Captain nodded. “Yes. Just like that. You mentioned you are a pilot. We have schematics for human designed air and spacecraft. We can use cargo and fighter pilots. We can also use someone with experience to train said pilots. And anyone who served as a Knight has plenty of skills they can bring to the table. Only a fool would turn your family away, Miss Heartstrings. You are highly skilled and you require something I can provide.”

Fluttershy nodded eagerly. “Oh yes! I-I um, I don't like to use violence… But I am a skilled healer, and if I really needed to I um, I could teach ponies or changelings monster hunting tricks.”

Skriit nodded. “Precisely, Miss de Qui Dracones, Metuo. Do the two of you accept my offer?” He asked hopefully.

“Do I not count?” Bonbon asked, sounding a little upset at being left out of the ‘you two’.

Skriit frowned. “I’m sorry, are you not considered property?”

“Absolutely not,” I objected. “She is my sister.”

“Understood, I merely assumed based on the historical machine-human relationship,” Skriit informed. “Miss BB-1, you too shall have full citizenship rights.”

“Good!” Bonbon exclaimed happily.

“What does the probationary status entail?” I asked, assuming that’s where the real bureaucracy would start.

“It’s very simple,” the captain answered. “It’s a time window for you to find a useful job, and fit in with our culture. Fail to find a position, or break one of our laws, which will be explained to you in full, and you will be banished from the Phoenix indefinitely.

“The probationary condition will be removed after one month after you have stabilized. Should one of you find a useful service you can perform here. Should you cease being a family for any reason, you will all need to find yourself a job to do.

“We are a meritocratic society. You will be placed in a position of responsibility equal to your skill in whatever you choose to go into, after a training period, or after you show competence enough to skip training. What do you say? We can have you in a suite tonight if you wish.”

I looked over at Fluttershy. “What do you think?”

“I think it is a good idea,” she replied. “We can always move elsewhere, after… Right Mister Captain?”

Skriit chuckled. “Yes. Our citizens may live, travel in, and work in Equestria without the need for a passport. Though I would not recommend that for you. But you would be free to do so if you wished.”

“Wait… W-we would be free to move to other cities?” I asked, stunned in a good way.

Sky looked at my face and flinched. “Yeesh! What is your home like?”

<Pretty shitty, really,> Cheerly muttered.

“Eh, not too bad. We had plenty of distractions,” I said before turning to the Captain. “My sister definitely wants to live here. I accept your offer, sir.”

Bon bon nodded in agreement.

The captain smiled happily. “Excellent, I’ll pass the information on to all hands as soon as possible and get you your ID badges. Let’s see… I can get Eail to find you quarters-”

“Sir,” Sky interrupted. “I feel bad for causing this whole mess for her. Would it be alright if I get them settled in?”

The captain nodded. “Certainly. Let me know what suite they will be staying in. I’ll have your paperwork and ID delivered. Good day everyone, nice to meet you,” Skriit said as he stood up, tipping his cap before heading for the door.

“Goodbye, Sir,” I said as he left, my words echoed by Sky and Ayna.

As the Captain left, Sky turned around with a happy smile. “Right! Lunch time. We are going to a mess hall, getting some food, you get to delight some changelings with your Humanness, Lyra, and we’ll get you acquainted with our Hive. Oh! Hey, Ayna, why don’t you get your wife and meet us at Mess four? I’ll pick up Pinkie, we can introduce everyone, it’ll be fun!”

Ayna frowned. “I think Trixie is working right now,” she said sounding a little disappointed.

Sky rolled his eyes. “Archmage says she’s off for the day.”

Ayna blinked, blushed brightly and laughed. “Oh! Right! Heh, I can do that.”

“Yep. Go dooz. We’ll meet you in four, if that sounds like a plan to you guys,” Sky said turning to face the four of us.

I looked around. Everyone seemed eager. Or at least hungry. Okay, I was the only one who needed to eat, but still. Fluttershy liked the taste of food.

“That sounds awesome,” I agreed. “Let's go!”