• Published 25th Apr 2016
  • 3,523 Views, 2,102 Comments

Lyra-7% - Meep the Changeling



A technoarcane device sends a human version Lyra on a journey through the Equestrian Multiverse.

  • ...
19
 2,102
 3,523

9 Wounded

Lyra Heartstrings - 12th of Faust 1,312 Classical Era - Afternoon

Multiverse Location: Equestria, Equis #0???? - The Prime (Distant Past)

<Active combat protocols engaged,> Cheer.ly reported.

A dozen separate processes flashed onto my HUD. System linkages to my equipment auto-activating. My pistol's systems reporting it’s heat, levels, charge, and highlighting the point of aim. Solar charge levels for my flight suit's systems. Bio-data as my body kicked itself into overdrive, reporting stress levels and estimated peak operation time before it would start to rip apart.

My helmet’s sensors kicked into gear; active sonar’s ghostly gray highlighting of solid objects, fused with the sharp white of thermal imaging, all put into context of motion and position via laser imaging.

I could see the battlefield in as much detail as technologically possible without a satellite linkage.

For the next fifteen minutes at least. My jacket covered too much of my flightsuit for the solar charging system to keep it running longer than that. I had precisely enough time to lament the fact that the system couldn’t be manually triggered, and only activated when an armed opponent actually fired at you, or if given a signal from command to attack, before my rage fully took over.

The bandit fell forwards, steam pouring from the flash-vaporized holes I’d put into the that scum. I fired another bolt into his side as he fell, the intense heat pulse burning a white line across my HUD. My sonar pulsed, indicating movement to my left. I spun around, two leather armored and salvaged gear clad ponies rushed from the camp’s gate, screaming the alarm to their comrades.

Like the snapping shriek of my gun hadn’t already done that.

On my left, a pegasus. On my right, an earth pony. Color was irrelevant, my systems filtered the world down to movement, shape, and distance. A removal of all distractions. A maximization of awareness.

The Pegasus was unarmed, he jumped up, hooves pushing off the log wall, wings snapping open, taking to the air in a fluid wall-kick maneuver.

The Earth pony charged forwards, running on three legs, a odd crescent bladed half-gauntlet half-punch-dagger-scythe weapon held up threateningly. Amazingly it seemed as if pony forelegs possessed as much mobility as a human arm...

“Cover me!” He shouted.

<Weapon identified: Melee tool,> Cheer.ly reported in the span of miliseconds. <Designation: Scissor. Roman design. Method of use: Unknown.>

I fired a volley of three rounds, the Earth pony was more than ready for them. He nimbly dodged to the sides, jerking out of the way from each shot as if he knew where the shots would be.

The bandit closed and lunged forward, blade scything towards me in a sword like strike. I stepped back, the blade slicing through the air where my belly had been. I twisted to bring my arm down and take aim, but he smashed my weapon aside with the gauntlet part of his weapon, before throwing a punch-like strike for my chest.

The ringing sound of iron on ceramic titanium as his weapon was stopped in it’s tracks took the bandit by surprise, his eyes widening as instead of killing me, he threw me backwards where I smashed into a tree and slid to the ground. It was like I’d been hit by a small delivery drone.

Without the flightsuit shock absorption, I’d be dead from kinetic shock alone. A fact my helmet was unnecessarily flashing warnings about.

I barely had time to pick myself up as the bandit jumped, swinging his weapon like a warpick in a savage downwards arc. “Let’s see that breastplate stop this!” He demanded.

It probably could. But I wasn’t taking chances on another punch from the goddamn kryptonian pony! I threw a kick from my back, putting every muscle fiber in my leg into the strike and smashing the treads of my boot into his face with a satisfying crunch.

He rolled with the strike, moving left and springing up, blood pouring from his crushed muzzle but otherwise seemingly uninjured. The bandit charged forward again, this time I got my gun into position, and fired three more rounds, catching him squarely in the chest. The bandit jerked to a halt, internals definitely cooked thoroughly and ruptured. Potato, meet microwave.

<Weapon energy cell at seventy five percent,> Cheer.ly alerted.

As the bandit died, the pegasus shouted something I didn’t catch. Leaping back onto my feet, I took aim to snipe the idiot out of the air. What sort of moron hovers in place mid-battle?

The pegasus threw a hoof as if trying to punch me from fifty feet away. A bolt of white-hot lightning flashed, blinding me as it struck me squarely in the chest, shutting down my suit’s systems for a split second as circuit breakers tripped and reset rapidly.

I felt myself hit the ground again, but no pain from the lightning strike itself rippled through my body. My flight suit had insulated me from the shock. His lightning couldn’t be as powerful as the real thing. A real bolt would have fried my ass. He was no threat.

My HUD flicked back on, rehighlighting the pegasus for me as he readied another bolt with an oddly anime-like scream-meditation-pose movement. I leveled my pistol to fire, only to yelp as I saw the battery pack glowing white. The lightning strike had breached the fuel cell!

“Shiiiiit!” I shrieked, throwing the starting to smoke weapon as far from myself as possible.

“Outta ammo?” The Pegasus mocked, swooping down to grab the damaged weapon. “Guess I’ll beat you with your own weapon!”

Ignoring the moron, I dove, lying as flat as I could against the earth so the-

The fuel cell in the self charging battery detonated with the unique explosive crunch of hydrogen. I felt a dozen small impacts all across my left side as my flight suit's armor-cloth surface stopped a few hundred bits of shrapnel from ripping a hole in me.

Rolling over onto my back, I ripped open the pouch containing my spare battery, ready to throw the spare away from me before it exploded too. Fortunately it wasn’t damaged.

“Oh thank ph-” I said, stopping as the battery was smashed out of my hand.

Like some sort of monster from ancient movies, the earth pony was not dead!

His slicing blade had only just barely avoided slicing my thumb off as part of his failed sneak attack. I scrambled to my feet, avoiding his follow up punch-chop by rolling to my side. I was completely unarmed! I’d have to grab his weapon and try my luck in hand to hand!

The bandit pressed his attack, forcing me to scoot backwards on my ass. His flurry of rapid swings, chops, and punches preventing me from getting a second to stand or even strike back. I wasn’t going to test the properties of my flight suit's cut-resistant outer layer against his crazy strength, just to attempt a counter attack. One rip and I was dead!

“Lie still and die, mage!” The bandit scream-gurgled through his mangled muzzle.

A gleaming blade plunged through the bandit’s head with a wet-ripping crunch! Whipping my head around, I saw Moonbutt, one hoof outstretched post halbard-lunge.

“Apologies! I couldn’t telleth which sound was who until that scum spake,” she apologized. “What hath happened to the plan?”

“Impaled child’s corpse!” I growled, shoving the corpse off me as I stood up. “They destroyed my weapon, do you have-”

A sharp piercing whistle split the air, the armored mare grunted in pain as a crossbow bolt sliced along her rear left leg, leaving a shallow cut.

“Nngh, cowards!” She spat venomously. “Come, let us end these bastards rightly. Awaken iron, slay all!”

I watched as she pulled her halberd back towards her chest, and made a somehow elegant looking three legged charge, heading right for the camp’s entrance, dirt flying with each hoof fall. Two more bolts flew at her, one skipping off her armor, the other sailing cleanly over her back and into the woods.

Somehow, being able to see the projectile in flight made the weapon all the more scary. But not as scary as being unarmed in the middle of a comba-

Right! The sword!

My hand flew to my belt, grabbing the hilt frantically. Melee combat against ranged opponents was suicidal at best, but if I could get around to flank them-

The corpse of the scissor wielding bandit jerked upright, flesh knitting back together like something out of Doom! Light blue sparks danced around the edges of the wound as he stood back up, grinning as his muzzle crunched back into it’s proper shape, and amulet around his neck glowing darkly.

My hand switched on the blade by pure reflex, the golden blade appearing as if spawned in with a angry snap. Hoping swords worked like an extra long combat knife I chopped at the bandit’s neck, praying to physics that decapitation stopped the sourcery I saw at work.

The blade flew through the air, clearly missing as I didn’t even feel any imp-

The amulet fell to the ground, chain neatly severed, the bandit falling a moment later, half healed wounds stopping their regeneration immediately. I turned the blade and hacked the bandit’s head off with a few quick chops, refusing to take any god damn chances.

“Fuck you, Highlander! Six sequels is enough!” I screamed, taking a moment to scoop up the amulet and stuff it into a pouch.

“Just kill her, she’s blind!” Someone shouted from the gate.

Remembering my ally’s charge I turned, boots digging into the earth as I sprinted in to close the distance. Luna was blocked off at the gate, having reared up to gain better control over her weapon. At this point I’d worked out some of a pony’s body mechanics. It seemed they could stand upright to use both forelimbs, but were much more mobile on all fours.

Luna was able to parry while standing, but she couldn’t exactly move...

“She’s got bat vision!” One of the griffons I spotted earlier snapped back.

The griffon had a large shield, but was unarmed. It looked like she had grabbed the shield as Moonbutt charged in, while her friend had snatched a spear. The two, both griffons, were keeping Luna at bay, the shieldbearer taking the brunt of her assault while the spear user’s talons did their best to impale my comrade.

Luna was having none of it and managed to somehow dodge the thrusts, or parry them with a quick flick of her halberd's handle. But there was no way her luck would hold out. Not with the firing line of crossbows being reloaded while the two Griffons defended their friends.

Without a hand, she’d be shot in a few more moments. Lucky for her, the bandit’s primitive tools needed a winch to reload them. Unfortunately, they were almost done.

Sprinting forwards, I grabbed Moonbutt by the collar of her breastplate and dragged her around the corner of the wall, putting it between us and the crossbows.

“They have ranged weapons! Keep behind their wall!” I ordered as she shouted in protest.

“Ah… Yes… Bows art not allowed in the arena,” she admitted, understanding I’d just saved her life.

The two griffons on the other hand, came around the corner, the duo paired up so the shieldbearer could focus entirely on putting the body-sized rectangle into position, while the spearman did the killing.

I had no clue how to take them on. I wasn’t a marine, melee training was not a part of my skill set. Reacting on instinct I swatted at the spear with my sword as it was thrust towards me, the energy blade chopping a finger sized chunk out of the wooden shaft, which sadly didn’t seem to do much at all.

“Have you a sword? Keep the spear busy!” Moonbutt ordered.

I kept up my random swatting, occasionally cutting into the shaft or smacking it with the blade’s flat. At once I both wished it worked like a lightsaber, and was glad it did not. I’d take my own goddamn leg off if it just cut through everything like air.

Oh the other hand, too many of the griffon’s warcry backed thrusts slipped through my defenses for me to be happy about anything. In the span of five seconds, no less than three thrusts scratched along my chest and head, thankfully stopped by my armor. If she knicked a limb though, that was it.

Just as my panic reached it’s peak, Luna’s halberd scythed in around the shield, hooking it with the backspike and ripping it out of the griffon’s talons in a single savage jerk! Moments after the shield was ripped away she thrust the weapon forwards, stabbing the griffon through the throat.

“No!” His companion cried, giving me the opportunity to grab her spear with my free hand.

Realizing her error, the griffon tried to pull the spear back. The damaged weapon splintered, the head snapping off, leaving me holding what amounted to a dagger, and her with a splintered stick.

She had exactly one second to realize how screwed she was before the halberd chopped in, burying its axe-head deeply in her side. I winced at the wet squelch of meat as Luna ripped her weapon free. The sound was far worse than I’d imagined it to be.

“Is the shield wood, or metal?” Moonbutt asked, snapping my attention back to the moment.

“Uh...” Picking the shield up by the wooden handle on the rear, I gave it a quick inspection. “Steel plated wood. Is that good?”

“How do you not know shields?” She asked in mild surprise.

“I don't use these things! Our shields are electromagnetic fields or polymers,” I quickly explained.

“That should block the bolts well enough. You hold it up, you have working eyes. I run behind you, and we break their firing line,” she planned.

Just then, two more bandits came around the wall. Both earth ponies, both armed with what I assumed were their equivalent of spiked knuckles. A weapon choice that seemed dumb until I remembered how hard Highlander had hit me.

I slashed at the one closest to the wall as he rushed for me, this time the sword did what they did in every game ever, and neatly severed his left foreleg with one fluid cut. The bandit dropped to the ground, screaming as Luna took care of his companion with a casual reactive thrust I was sure a sighted person couldn’t have pulled off.

Looking down at the pony I had just dismembered, I felt a sudden pang of guilt. It was one thing to shoot someone and kill them damn near instantly. But to put someone through that sort of hell… Then I remembered the impaled child’s body on display, and stomped on his head until I heard it go crunch. Fuck him!

“That was savage… Doth all of thy species fight like that?” Luna asked in concern.

“I don’t know how to use melee tools! We use ranged weapons almost exclusively. Brute force is all I have to work with!” I snapped, rage rolling back to a full boil.

“Can thou retrieve thy weapon?” She asked hopefully.

“No, it’s destroyed,” I grunted back.

“Then let us end this quickly,” she decided. “If they attack again, luck will not save us. Use the shield, keep them from shooting me. I’ll put them down with all due haste.”

“Sound plan!” I exclaimed holding the shield in front of me and crouching down to allow her to get as behind the shield as possible.

Luna moved up, pressing her chest firmly against my back and resting the handle of her halberd on my shoulder. “Go! I’ll stop when thee doth,” she ordered.

Deferring to her expertise, I took off at the best run I could manage while crouching, holding the shield up as well as I could, trusting my helmet could stop a crossbow bolt so I could see where I was going.

We rounded the corner. A line of eight bandits stood between us and the fire at the camp’s center. Four immediately fired. One bolt whizzing past, one skipping off my helmet like a punch to the head, the others burying themselves deeply in the shield, points splintering through the other side!

“There are but two! Hold till you can not miss!” A hooded pony in a cloak ordered.

Three more fired, three more bolts neatly pierced the shield. The now unarmed bandits dropped their bows, going for spears which had been laying on the ground beside them. I dug my heels into the ground, stopping as firmly as I could, not willing to charge onto the point of a spear.

Luna lunged the moment I stopped, her long handled weapon finding the stomach of a bandit on the left half of the line. The impaled pony gurgled, dropping as Moonbutt pulled her halberd back, shifting her weight in a way which allowed me to know she was going to strike at the opposite side of the line.

The hooded pony cursed, and with a shout of “Enough!” a bright blue glow shone from beneath her hood, three blue-white bolts of energy lanced out from her forehead, burning towards me like blaster-fire!

Time seemed to slow. Memories of plasma eating through tank armor like warm butter flooded my brain. Without even thinking I dropped the shield, threw my now empty hand back, and yanked Luna to the side as I dove out of the way of the oncoming fire. At the same time, the last bandit fired his crossbow.

The three bolts of energy sizzled through the air where I had been. The crossbow bolt sliced along my left thigh, my suit immediately flashing an integrity warning as the armor layer was cut. Before I could react my leg flexed, a simple part of my dive as I moved to get back up. A completely automatic response.

The damaged fabric ripped under the pressure, the sharp hiss of compressed air punctuating the air along with my horrified scream!

<Warning: Containment failure!> Cheer.ly reported unhelpfully.

I felt Luna jump in front of me as I screamed. My eyes were fixed on the rip, free hand desperately and futilely trying to hold the cut closed. I was so dead! Minutes at most before and unconsciousness I would never wake from.

Luna was dead as well. There was simply no way she could take on a fucking sorcerer and seven other opponents at once. Especially if-

A shimmering blue barrier flashed into existence, cutting off the direct approach to the bandits.

“Reload!” The sorcerer commanded, her force field definitely able to buy them time for that.

“Cowards! Come and face a warrior on her own terms!” Luna taunted, her halberd sparking against the barrier as she tried to pierce it.

It was useless. In a few seconds they would have reloaded… And at this distance...

No. No! Fuck that!

I wasn’t about to die and let these scumbags keep living, especially if they found a way to work my gear. There had to be something, anything I could do. The evil they could accomplish with- The grenade!

I reached down, grabbing the large beer can sized device and ripped it free from it’s magnetic clip. As my hand closed around it, the grenades safety chip pinged me, asking if I intended to arm the weapon.

<Arm and configure,> I ordered., <Dispersal pattern: Burnination. Yield: Maximum!>

Ironic that the means to destroy your downed aircraft would be useful without an aircraft.

“If I’m going to die, you fuckers can burn in hell with me!” I shouted, and threw the grenade over the energy-wall.

The grenade bounced off the ground, rolling to the mage’s hooves. She blinked at the weapon, then shook her head. “How did you think a throwing rock would do any harm when tossed in an ar-”

<Detonate!> I ordered.

The casing split apart, a burst of compressed gasses hissing as the air filled with a sickly smelling green-yellow mist. The chemical cloud filled a good forty foot bubble, hanging in the air for a half second before igniting with a loud ‘woomph!’.

The screams were short lived. Within seconds of mouths having opened, the lungs and vocal cords were on fire. And the clothing, fur, skin, muscle, bone, dirt, and everything the mist had touched. Everything but the flickering barrier, which died alongside it’s master, ironically the only thing that shielded us from the interhalogen compound’s hell-fire.

Luna coughed, staggering back from the blinding flames of burning everything. “What didst thee doth!? Please telleth me thou didn’t rip a hole into Tartarus!” She pleaded.

“I threw a grenade,” I said, watching the oxygen content meter slowly drop.

“That is not the smell of burning blasting powder!” She accused.

“That’s cuz it’s Chlorine trifluoride,” I muttered. “Nothing else in the world smells like that. Shit will set anything on fire, even stuff sane people insist won't burn. Rips things apart atom by atom and burns it all at the same time. For when you just got to destroy absolutely everything…”

“Smells like…victory,” Luna said decisively.

<Active Combat Protocols disengaged.> Cheer.ly reported as the world snapped back to color.

“Don’t smell too much or you’ll die. Shit’s also toxic as fuck,” I warned. “I’ll be dead in a few minutes. You don’t have to have that on your conscience. I chose to help. Get out of here. Live your life, be happy that you chose to protect the week.”

Luna turned around swiftly/ “You’re mortally wounded? How? I might beest able to bandage-”

“They didn’t hit me, they ruptured my suit!” I snapped.

Luna’s ears fell/ “I don’t understand…”

Oh god… Even with only seeing half her face I felt horrible for snapping at her like that! These ponies were primitives. She honestly didn’t understand. I had to explain. I couldn’t die with my last social action being hurting someone else.

“I… I’m really different from your species. The air you breath is deadly to me. I have on an…armor of sorts to keep your air out, and the air I need in. During the fight, they breached my armor, so I’m being poisoned,” I explained slowly.

She frowned, clearly trying to work through what I was saying. “Like… Like how fish drown in the air but breathe freely within the sea?” She asked.

I nodded, realized the gesture was lost on her, and said/ “Yeah.”

“Starswirl can help!” She exclaimed. “He hath a spell to alloweth one breath under the sea, surely he can help thee breath normally. How long can thou survive?”

“I don’t know…minutes?” I muttered, already feeling pretty tired.

“Is there any way you can make it for a quarter of an hour?” She asked, unbuckling her helmet’s chinstrap in a way that should have been impossible to do with hooves.

“I’m sorry, Moonbutt. There’s-” I trailed off, remembering the tent Sky had given me. It was such a small thing, but so important. How had it skipped my mind? “No! There is something. Yeah, I can last a little longer.”

She tossed her helmet aside, the silvered metal rolling to a stop a few feet away. “Doth not standeth near mine helmet, it ‘tis to be a beacon for teleporting,” Luna warned. “Help will be here as soon as I can fly home!”

“How can you possibly navigate while flying?” I asked with a bitter chuckle.

“The same as I do upon the land. Please do not perish before I return. I… I have not had a true friend before,” she pleaded before jumping into the air, wings pumping and carrying her into the sky in a way that instantly made me jealous.

“... Lucky,” I muttered to myself.

Luna suddenly vanished from view, like she’d simply been jump-cut out of reality. I was confused for a moment, but then realized that I’d completely spaced out for a few minutes. That wasn’t supposed to be possible, not with my neural upgrades. I was going to die, and quick.

I fumbled for my belt, fingers bumping into something squishy instead of the belt pouch I had been expecting. Looking down with a confused grunt I saw that Bon had somehow managed to find me, and coiled around my waist. Rather tightly too. Sort of like a tourniquet.

A confused blink later and I noticed that the oxygen meter was depleting far more slowly than it had been before. Bon was literally holding the air in my suit.

“Good girl.” I praised happily, giving her a pat on the head, “Did you intend to keep the air in there?” I asked half seriously.

I mean hell, she was nodding yes in response now so why the-

Bon nodded twice, tightening her coil around my waist slightly. Okay...

“So, you’re peoplesmart now. I guess… Going to have to ask that wizard about this one. Do you know where mommie’s tent is? I need it,” I asked hopefully.

Bon dipped down, her head snaking behind me before coming back on my other side, the small black and green box held securely in her jaws. I shook my head and gently took the device from her, stroking her head with my other hand.

“Yeah, soooo going to have to ask the wizard about this one!” I laughed, head feeling really super light.

After a few moments of fumbling, I found a small button on the bottom of the box and pressed it. The device beeped, and unfolded, a series of rods telescoping from its corners, trailing a silver metallic fabric behind them. I moved to get out of the way of the unfolding tent, only to realize that it was deploying in such a way where I would end up on the inside.

After a few moments, the rods bent, pulling the box up out of my hands, where it formed the peak of a squarish dome structure just about big enough for four people to sleep in, if they were packed in tightly. I looked down, wondering how a floor would form with me standing on the ground, just as a quick flash of light went off like a camera flash. The tent firmly sinking a short ways into the ground as an energy field flickered to life on the ground, lifting me up a few inches to form a solid hard-light barrier.

Well, that was one way to do a floor…

A few moments later the box beeped three times, and my helmet's HUD flashed, the environmental warnings vanishing, replaced by a, ‘it is now safe to remove your helmet’, message.

I didn’t quite trust that message. I mean, the tent seemed to have worked, but how could I tell for sure? I couldn’t. So the helmet would stay on. At least for now.

And right now, I was tired as hell. Fatigued from the combat, half poisoned, and the only hope of living much longer being a literal pony wizard.

Yeah. It was time to just lie down for a bit.

“If I fall asleep, smack me or something until I get up, okay?” I asked Bon, pretty sure she would understand.

Bon nodded and rested her head in my lap.

“Thanks… We should work on teaching you to speak,” I mused, laying down on my back to let my muscles relax.

I knew that I’d slept for hours less than half an hour ago, but that didn’t seem to matter much. It felt like I had run a whole marathon. Then biked another marathon.

Also the forcefield-floor was super comfy. I would totally sleep on it every night if I could! Oh my god, I could! I owned it. Sweet!

“Man… Who knew that trying to stay awake to not-die sucked so much... “ I muttered to myself.