• Published 7th Apr 2016
  • 967 Views, 16 Comments

Transparent Living - PinoyPony



Disowned by her parents, Diamond Tiara is hastily sent to Mane-hattan to meet Coco Pommel. Even if she has come to turn a new leaf in her growth, there is still a lot for her to learn. New town, new life.

  • ...
1
 16
 967

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 49: Transparent Living

“That is inaccurate.” Filthy said, looking across his desk, scooting the clip of papers away from him. He took off his reading glasses.

“How so?” The colt asked.

He had a red coat and golden mane. This colt looked like that brother of Applejack’s. Matched his build too. The only key difference is that he had wings to his side and a pair of glasses on his snout. It was interesting how a pegasus took an interest in technical writing. Writing seemed more like a Unicorn thing to do.

Filthy sighed. “I understand you’ve talked with various sources. I must ask you to remove my name from the records. You have painted me for the good stallion I’m not. My wife also deserves a fair shake. It’s not fair that all she is portrayed as is a snobbish rich mare.”

“But, if I take you out of the equation, the whole thing falls apart.” The colt said. “You are an essential piece to the puzzle.”

“And another thing.” Filthy sighed deeply. “I hate to break it to you, but my daughter isn’t the giving angel you portray her to be. I understand her story changed your life, but the argument is one-sided. You need to talk to the ponies that have a negative view of her, otherwise the whole book will only make it to a select part of the population.”

“I understand your concern, but I’ve also talked to Applebloom, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle. Even they don’t want to mention her acts of bullying since they’ve long forgiven her.” The colt said. “Even Babs Seed back in Mane-hattan has a positive view of your daughter.”

Filthy shifted in his seat.

“Mr. Rich, I understand that both the positive and the negative must need to be conjoined together to get the holistic view. You don’t want to be partial to the part of the population that still holds a grudge against Diamond Dazzle Tiara.” The colt smiled. “What you don’t realize is that part of the population, if any, is not a population you want to pander to. What her story teaches is self-forgiveness and sacrifice. If anypony wants to object, I simply say it’s not the purpose of the piece and is contradictory to what the elements of harmony have taught us. I ask, that I receive permission to portray your daughter in this way.”

“I've been approached by journalists all across Equestria requesting permission to release details. I've declined each of them, so I will say the same thing to you: what was said in this room will stay in this room." Mr. Rich said, with tears in his eyes. “As much as my heart wants to release your kind compilation of my daughter’s life, logic says that releasing it to the masses will only incite outrage in those who disagree, regardless of the arguments of morality.”

“I understand Mr. Rich.” The colt put his pencil and papers back into his saddlebags and turned to head for the door.

As he did, Filthy saw in the corner of his eye, a painting fall over.

The colt jumped when it the hit the floor with a loud thud.

Mr. Rich rushed over to the painting to hang it back on the wall.

“Here. Looks like you need some help.” The colt rush to the other side of the painting and helped Filthy hoist and hook it back onto the wall.

“Thank you, Wild Card.” Mr. Rich said.

Wild Card said nothing. Instead he gazed into the eyes of the filly in the painting. In the middle, she was flanked on both sides by Mr. Rich and his former wife.

“If I may press,” Wil Card started, studying the painting, “I also understand the other reason why you don’t want Equestria to know the story of your daughter. It’s not only the masses disregard for the legacy of your daughter.” Wild Card said. “The part you’ve told me is that her biological mother lives on with her. With her life cut short, you want it to remain buried since there is nopony you can trust.”

Filthy’s heart grew hot with rage. Then, it cooled down to ice when he realized that Wild Card was right.

“As the viewpoint of the narrator, it’s obvious that my bias has to be on Diamond Dazzle Tiara.” Wild Card continued. “I like to draw your attention to the key piece… the name of this work: Transparent Living.”

“Proceed.” Filthy said, intrigued.

“It’s a fact that I shall call this work ‘Transparent Living’” He turned away from the painting and faced Mr. Rich. “What does Transparent Living mean for you?”

“Like you said, it’s a phrase that Coco Pommel and Florin coined.” Filthy Rich said. “They invented it for the purpose of getting Coco to place herself out in the crowd more often, letting the clouds of inhibition and anxiety dispel and do what you need to do.”

“Very good. It was indeed coined by Coco and Florin.” Wild Card said. “However, to me, it means so much more.” He tapped on his barrel “It’s inside of me. Because of Transparent Living, my life has changed forever, part of your daughter literally lives inside of me. To me, Transparent Living means living your life so that your heart is open, that you are ready to surrender it no matter the cost.”

Wild Card sighed. “…Transparent Living is what your daughter exemplified, and now, with all due respect, I ask again to open your heart and grant me your permission to publish this story.”

Direct. Filthy Rich stepped forward and nodded. “You have my permission.” He held out his hoof.

Wild Card’s expression lit up as he accepted the hoof-shake eagerly. “Thank you, Mr. Rich.”

Suddenly, a light flashed, blinding Mr. Rich.

Could it be… no… impossible! His daughter worked her magic again!

The light swirled in and around the room. Filthy covered his eyes protectively.

When the light faded, Filthy let his eyes adjust.

The very first thing he saw was Wild Card looking at his flank. On it, a quill drawing an inky heart.

“Well, I guess that sorta happened!” Wild Card cheered.

Author's Note:

Just one more chapter to go! Next week on Feb 5! (It's an Epilogue)

It's hard to believe that this fic is almost done. If you've been along for the ride this long, kudos to you! Thanks for reading!

-Pinoypony (or this may be Wild Card... you never know :derpytongue2:)

PreviousChapters Next