• Published 7th Apr 2016
  • 963 Views, 16 Comments

Transparent Living - PinoyPony



Disowned by her parents, Diamond Tiara is hastily sent to Mane-hattan to meet Coco Pommel. Even if she has come to turn a new leaf in her growth, there is still a lot for her to learn. New town, new life.

  • ...
1
 16
 963

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 18: Napoleon and Vertigo

-January-

Coco and Dazzle followed the secretary down the hall.

“You nervous?” Coco asked.

“Yeah,” Dazzle said, “But I think I can handle it.”

“Wait here,” the secretary instructed before she walked into the other room.

After a moment, the secretary came back out, and held the door open. “The class is ready for you.”

Dazzle felt a knot in her stomach as she passed through the door.

“We have a new student coming in today. She just barely moved from Ponyville. Please make her feel welcome,” the teacher announced.

Dazzle stood at the front of the class.

“Her name is Dazzle,” the teacher introduced, laying her tan hoof on her back. She looked up to her teacher and noticed a horn poking through her long, pinned back, black hair.

“Hi.” Dazzle waved a hoof. In front of her was an arrangement of fillies and colts with varying races from earth pony, pegasai, and unicorn. She recognized one face though; an orange filly with a sharp red mane.

“Dazzle, there is an empty rack over there and an open seat there,” she instructed, first pointing to a coat rack that ran across the wall, then to an empty seat. “Please hang your coat up and have a seat.”

“Oh! Before you do that!” Coco trotted towards Dazzle and pulled a lunch sack out of her saddlebags. Dazzle bit down on the brown paper bag and set it in her saddlebags. She trotted over to the coat rack, took off her jacket and scarf, and set it on the hook. Then, she trotted towards her desk.

Dazzle took a seat in the second row, somewhere in the middle of the room. In a placeholder, in nice, curvy letters, it read ‘Dazzle Tiara’ She put her bag right next of her seat and the lunch sack next to it.

When she lifted her head up towards the front to face the teacher, she saw Coco peeking through the door. Coco mouthed the words ‘I’m going to go. Okay?’

Dazzle nodded. She repeated a mantra in her head that Silver Spoon was going through harder things… today was a different day, and she had a fresh start.

As Coco left, Dazzle took a few deep breaths. She was going to be okay.

She looked to her right, and a colt was right next to her. He had a white coat with a scarlet and gray striped mane, a stick of dynamite cutie mark with a lit fuse. He held out a hoof. “Napoleon.”

“Dazzle,” she replied, shaking it. “Say, isn’t your mother Florin?”

His eyes widened. “How did you know that?”

She giggled. “Coco Pommel, my guardian, works with her.”

“GOOD MORNING CLASS!” the teacher greeted.

“Good morning, Ms. Paprika!” the class answered back in unison.

“Thank you, class! Today we are going to continue the unit we started before winter break!” Ms. Paprika popped a piece of chalk in her mouth and started to write on the chalkboard: Fractions and Decimals

Dazzle could hear a bunch of audible sighs.


The teacher dismissed the for Lunch. Dazzle found it weird that they combined recess with Lunch.

Right before she stepped out of the room, Dazzle heard her name called behind her.

Dazzle spun around, to see her teacher looking at her. “May I speak with you?”

“Sure.” Dazzle trotted back towards the Teacher’s desk.

Ms. Paprika tapped on the file atop her desk and sighed. “So, I reviewed the records that Ms. Cheerilee sent over.” She licked her hoof and flipped the page in the file. “You’re a troublemaker… aren’t you?” Her eyes narrowed on Dazzle.

Dazzle’s smile faded. She fixed her posture and answered, “I am... but I-”

“Gotcha!” Ms. Paprika sprung to life. “I have no worries about you, Dazzle!”

“Wait… so my file doesn’t say I’m a troubled filly?”

“Well yes, but no,” Ms. Paprika started, “There are countless incidents, from a school newspaper mishap, to making fun of countless students.” Her teacher shook her head. She lifted her eyes from the paper, and looked Dazzle in the eye. “But Ms. Cheerilee has met with me in pony to tell me what happened almost overnight.”

This seemed odd. Why would her former teacher care about her reputation? Let alone look out for her in the first place?

“Knowing you are in Ms. Pommel’s capable hooves; I can trust you.” Ms. Paprika winked. “Heh, so call it friendship. Coco and I are friends from high school.”

Dazzle nodded. Coco seemed to make a lot of friends for being a shy pony. Maybe she could ask Coco when she got home.

“Just tell me if you need help with anything, I’d be happy to lend a hoof,” Ms. Paprika offered.

“I have a question, actually,” Dazzle said.

“Shoot,” Ms. Paprika said before taking a swig from her water bottle.

“Why is Lunch combined with recess?”

“Oh, so you can transition from Elementary School to Middle School. Next year, you’ll be in middle school. You will get used to class periods instead of all-day class.” Ms. Paprika snuck a glance at the clock. “Why don’t you go an enjoy lunch! I’m sorry for holding you up.”

Dazzle smiled. “Thank you.”

“Oh! And don’t forget your coat!” Ms. Paprika added. “It’s still chilly out there!”

Dazzle went to her desk and picked up the lunch sack that Coco gave her. The bottom of the bag slowly getting darker from the grease inside the bag. She wondered what Coco made her, though anything narrowly healthy was out of the picture.

Following Ms. Paprika’s instruction, she swiped her jacket and scarf off the rack and trotted down towards the lunchroom. She didn’t have to follow the signs to know where to go, her nose led the way. Something definitely smelled good.

When she came in through the doors, she immediately thanked Coco for packing her a lunch. The lunch line roped around to the other side of the room.

Dazzle glanced around, searching for a place to sit. She found an oddly empty table, in comparison to the other tables, who even had some ponies standing and some stealing chairs from nearby tables. The empty table had a familiar face- or more likely, a familiar personality. From behind a book, a unicorn colt’s stubby horn poked out of his crimson mane. Just like she heard from his parents, he always had his muzzle stuck in a book.

She slid into a seat at the table. It was her best bet, since all the other tables were filled with other groups.

“Whatcha reading?” Dazzle asked as she took a seat near him.

Napoleon popped his cherry red mane up from his book to take a look at Dazzle. “An Introduction to the Periodic Table,” he replied. Napoleon didn’t spare a second more before he went back to reading.

“I forgot to ask, but may I sit here?” Dazzle gestured to her seat. She figured etiquette couldn’t hurt.

“Oh no, go ahead.” he waved, not bothering to put down his book.

“So, is it a good book?” Dazzle grit her teeth. She realized how she treated Cheerilee in the dream state, and now she wished he would talk a little more. After all, she needed a friend like Silver Spoon here; Napoleon was as best of chance she had.

“Yeah! Did you know they use silver in film developing?” he shut the book.

“Wow! I didn’t know that!” Dazzle replied. She took that as a good sign if he put down the book.

“That’s why they call it the Silver Screen!” he said as he opened up his Power Ponies lunch box. He took out a sandwich and started to munch on it.

Dazzle took a deep breath and unrolled her lunch sack. She peered inside and found a grilled cheese sandwich with some tomato soup. That’s probably where all the grease came from; the sandwich. She took it and took a bite out of it. Suddenly, a vat full of flavor soaked through her taste buds. She tasted a little smokiness, and a little spice here and there she couldn’t quite make out.

Coco was getting good at her hobby. At this rate, Dazzle wouldn’t be surprised if she reached the level of gourmet chef before the school year passed.

As if Napoleon read her mind, he asked, “So, if I got what you said correct earlier, you are Coco’s daughter?”

“Not quite.” Dazzle smiled. “Adopted, actually.”

“Heh,” Napoleon chuckled in between bites. “Mom and Dad swears I’m adopted.” He rolled his eyes. “I know they are teasing. I guess two extroverts have an introvert child, they think something is wrong.”

“What’s an extrovert?” Dazzle asked, propelling the conversation further.

“Oh, it’s an outgoing pony, just one that likes to yibber-yabber,” he explained. “Pinkie Pie is an extreme example.”

“Oh,” Dazzle said. “I guess I’m an Extrovert.”

“I don’t doubt it. You came up to me first.” He tapped his hoof against the book. “Almost done with this puppy.”

“How many books do read?” Dazzle asked.

“Eh, Depends on a variety of factors.” He rocked his head from side to side. “How much do I want to read said book, how much homework I have, how much my mom and dad are pestering me to go out and make some friends.”

“Wanna be friends?” Dazzle offered, taking the opportunity. As she learned from her father, when a golden opportunity presents itself, take it, no matter the cost.

He balked. “You sure?”

“Yeah!” Dazzle said. “I don’t know anypony else here, so that makes two of us!” she said to spice up the deal. Hopefully that shipped the sale.

“Sounds good!” he replied, extending his hoof. Dazzle reached out with her free hoof and shook it. With her other hoof, she rummaged through the paper bag and took out the tomato soup. She opened up the plastic container and dipped her sandwich in the soup. She took a bite, and immediately, Coco’s cooking took another tier. The soup had the properly sweet and sharp taste as the cheese, yet garnished with veggies to make it taste fresher, like the smell of a garden in spring.

“You know, when you came to class, I thought you would hang out with the fashionistas over there.” He pointed to a group of giggling fillies. She recognized the filly in class before, with a pair of scissors as her cutie mark.

“I’d just moved here, so I want to take things slowly,” she answered carefully, “one friend at a time.”


Napoleon carried his book in his magic. Dazzle often dodged the book when it dipped and threatened to clonk her in the head. She didn’t mind though. Napoleon said that he was still trying to master keeping magic steady.

Dazzle looked overhead and found many Pegasai swirling about like crows. Many of them just fillies and colts trying to learn their flight technique. Oh, Scootaloo would love this. She shivered as the gust of wind coming from their flying brushed upon her coat like a blizzard drift.

“Want to play on the swing sets?” Napoleon asked.

“Sure.” Dazzle quickened her pace towards the playground. As she did, she glanced around her. The schoolyard, far from quaint, contained a massive courtyard. A roundabout sidewalk circled a bed of woodchips surrounding a playground. The playground rivaled the size of Ponyville’s playset, with a ton of swings attached to the side to sweeten the deal. Many fillies and colts milled about, giggling and chasing each other.

“You want to get on first?” Napoleon waved towards the swings.

Dazzle nodded and hopped onto the swing. She felt airy and light as she felt Napoleon pushing her forward. A ping of worry crossed her mind as the swing set reminded her of Silver Spoon. She would write her when she got home. Probably get Randolph to deliver it.

“Want to hear a chemistry fun fact?” Napoleon said.

“Sure,” Dazzle lightly replied, letting the motion of the swing calm her nerves.

“A Cookie has more energy than a stick of dynamite. The reason being is that we digest it a little over time, but a stick of dynamite is instantaneous,” he spouted proudly.

“Wow… that’s cool!” Dazzle said.

“Incoming!” Dazzle heard. She looked around her, and found nopony.

“Uh! Above you!” Napoleon pointed overhead.

Dazzle dove out of the way just in time before a Pegasus filly spiraled towards the ground. Suddenly, a cushion appeared under the falling Pegasus, in which she landed softly.

The Pegasus filly then shook herself off like a dog and then brushed herself tan coat off. She hopped off the cushion, and then the cushion disappeared back into nothing.

“What was that?” Dazzle asked, wondering if the yellow cushion she saw was a trick of her mind. Maybe she hit her head when she tumbled off the swing…

“Huh?” The Pegasus looked to Dazzle and smiled, sporting a set of braces. “Afternoon, miss! Vertigo Heart!” She held out her hoof.

“Dazzle. Dazzle Tiara.” She accepted the invitation. One more friend couldn’t hurt.

“Sorry I about crash landed on you.” Vertigo Heart scratched the back of her neck while averting her eyes. “The protective spell doesn’t cover when ponies run into each other. If that were the case, I’d practically be covered in a cushion suit of armor!”

Dazzle chuckled. “I’m new here. You mentioned protective spell?”

“Well, it would be cruel and unusual punishment to have any Pegasai be pinned to the ground.” Vertigo Heart pointed up at the random cloud of Pegasai flying about. Some diving, some gliding, some climbing the height. “So, they have allowed us to fly. In which, they cover for it by every time they sense a Pegasai is about to crash, a cushion appears so they won’t hurt themselves.” Vertigo giggled and flashed her braces again. “Without cushions, then I would be facing more medical problems than dental.” She pointed to her teeth. Braces again.

Dazzle couldn’t help but chuckle again. “Pleased to meet you.”

“I apologize again.” She bobbed her head up to look over Dazzle’s shoulder. “Your friend over there hasn’t budged since I crashed.”

Dazzle looked over to find Napoleon lounging around with his book again, obviously captivated. That didn’t last long.

“No worries.” Dazzle waved a hoof out. “We were just playing on the swings.”

“Say, as apology, can I push the both of you?” Vertigo offered. “I can make you go up very high!”

“I wouldn’t mind,” Dazzle said. “But for Napoleon, you gotta ask him first.”

They approached Napoleon, in which Dazzle tapped the book. “Hey Napoleon, I want you to meet Vertigo.”

He lowered his book and then stared at the filly. Dazzle could see blush marks come across his face. “Uhh… hi!” He waved nervously.

“Terribly sorry, sir. I was wondering as an apology, if I could push both of you on the swings?” Vertigo offered, smiling at the end.

“Uh, sure…” Napoleon said. He joined Dazzle and walked over to the swings. As Dazzle walked, she noticed Napoleon’s cutie mark; a stick of dynamite with a lit fuse. Then she turned over to Vertigo, she tried her best no to gasp.

Blank Flank.

She bit her tongue, and carefully thought of the words in her head. She didn’t want to insult her new friend.

Napoleon set his book down below him and grasped the ropes of the swing. Dazzle joined to his right side. He glanced at Dazzle with a mad blush. His face as surprised as if he had seen a ghost.

“So, Dazzle, where are you from?” Vertigo asked. Dazzle felt herself being propelled in the air.

“Ponyville,” she answered, swinging her hindlegs back.

“OOOHHH.” Vertigo whistled. “Do you know the Apples?”

Sure. Business partner with her parents. Not to mention Element of Honesty. Very hard to forget. “Yeah, I was classmates with Applebloom.”

“Even better!” Vertigo cheered. “I’d bet you know Babs Seed?”

Dazzle shuddered. The orange filly in her class that scared her. “Yes.”

“Oh, that’s good! She’s one of my friends.” Vertigo said. Dazzle noticed Vertigo’s speech slowed down. “Although she doesn’t talk to me anymore.”

Dazzle looked back, finding Vertigo changed from her jolly demeanor. Her wings dragged against the ground. Her ears laid flat against her head.

Dazzle hopped off the swing. She trotted up to her friend. “What happened?”

Napoleon hopped off the swing and picked up his book along the way. Napoleon looked to Vertigo. “I don’t want to hurt you, mind if I speak for you?”

Vertigo nodded.

“The Cutie Mark Crusaders of Mane-hattan disbanded a couple months ago.” Napoleon answered with a solemn tone.

“What?” Dazzle’s jaw dropped. How could a group like that be torn apart?

“I know. Everypony is still trying to get used to it.” Napoleon said. “It was in October… a month or two after Babs got her cutie mark.”

Dazzle didn’t know what to say. How could something small like a cutie mark disband a team?

“Once she got her cutie mark, the fashionistas started sniffing.” Vertigo continued. “It started out as something harmless like hanging out with them. They stopped teasing her and started treating her lovey-dovey. Then, they gave her a choice, stop hanging out with Blank-flanks or stop hanging out with them.”

Dazzle frowned. Babs. The one that joined her and Silver Spoon to avoid bullying. She basically repeated that action here when she got the chance.

“And then there was the big fight.” Napoleon added.

“I’d rather not talk about it.” Vertigo kicked a pebble back and forth between her hooves.

“Wow.” Dazzle said. “I’m sorry! I had no idea!”

Vertigo sniffled. “It’s okay. Mom and Dad told me friends change, and life moves on.”

“You want to be my friend?” Dazzle asked.

“Really?” Vertigo tapped her hooves from side-to-side.

“Sure.” Dazzle beamed. “I’d love to be your friend!”

“Woohoo!” Vertigo leapt into the air and flew. She dove for the ground, and glided right by Dazzle.

The bell rang, and everypony flew or trotted into the doors.

“Well, gotta go join my class!” Vertigo cheered. “Seeya later, friends!”

Just like that, she zipped away, down a different hallway.

Napoleon smiled. “Did she just say, ‘friends’?”

Dazzle could see that there was a little something going on with him. “Do you like Vertigo, Napoleon?”

“Uh… no. I mean, yes!” Napoleon looked back at Dazzle.

“Woah! Napoleon! I’m just asking if you two can get along- I can’t have my new friends fight because they don’t like each other…” Dazzle decided to throw a sly ball at him, to see if he would react.

“Sorry…” Napoleon muttered.

A teacher looked at Napoleon, and then to the book suspended in midair. “Napoleon, please be careful. You’ll risk exposure.”

“Yes, Mrs. Lagoon.” He wrapped the book in one foreleg, and then walked awkwardly with the remaining three.

“What was that about?” Dazzle asked.

“Haven’t you heard?” Napoleon knotted his eyebrows. “Corrosion is going around.”

Dazzle’s memories reeled back. She remembered Mrs. Avocado in the hospital room and the picture it burned into her mind. Blank, blind eyes, crusty horn that was being eaten away by… yuck. It must’ve hit pretty bad at the school.

“The School has put precautions up.” Napoleon’s magic flickered in front of them. An aura of green light came in front of her. “My magic is supposed to be goldenrod.” he explained. “Instead, I have a protective spell, minimizing exposure to the Corrosion.”

Dazzle wanted to mention her volunteer work with Yttrium. But she decided against it. Too much for her first day at school. Besides, class resumed in a couple minutes- she wouldn’t have time to go through every itty-bitty detail.

The magic disappeared. Napoleon continued, “In order to be able to use magic at school, you have to have the spell. Even then, your use is very limited. They had to put the CSGU program on hold until they can find a solution.”

“What is CSGU?” Dazzle asked.

“What? Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns of course!” Napoleon huffed. “Every Unicorn dreams of being able to go there! Like Princess Twilight Sparkle!” He grit his teeth. “Although the rotten disease is messing up my chances.”

“Geez…” Dazzle said. “That must be hard.”

“It is.” Napoleon sighed. “Thanks for listening, Dazzle. I haven’t shared how I feel about it with anypony before except my parents.”

“No problem.” Dazzle answered. “That what friends do right?”

“Right.” Napoleon smiled.


The end of the day came quicker than she thought. Inside the classroom they waited. Every so often, a pair of parents would come by and collect their foal. Dazzle’s heart warmed as each one of the family smiled, even going as far as giving a piggy-back ride.

“Want to hear another Chemistry fact?” Napoleon leaned towards Dazzle.

“Sure.” She smiled.

“Vanadium changes color with each different oxidation state. Some Yellow, Blue, Green, and Violet.” He pointed to a couple pictures in his book. Inside, she saw beakers filled with colored liquid inside.

“Wow.” Dazzle’s eyes wandered. She couldn’t help but notice his Cutie mark. “By the way, how did you get your cutie mark?”

He smiled a little too wide. His eyes darted about nervously. “I don’t want to talk about it.”

“Napoleon!” Dazzle heard ahead of her. In front of her, were two familiar ponies. One with a white coat and yellow mane, and the other with a gray coat.

“Mom! Dad!” Napoleon gave his parents a big hug. “I made a friend! Her name’s Dazzle!”

Florin looked to Dazzle and smiled. “You beat me to it, Napoleon. I see you’ve met our friend first. This is Coco’s little filly.”

“She already told me!” Napoleon responded. “Adopted, actually.”

Dazzle chuckled. He copied that phrase from her.

“Can I hang out with Dazzle sometime?” Napoleon begged. “She likes chemistry too!”

Montresor smiled. “As long as Coco and Dazzle are okay with it.”

“Yay!” Napoleon cheered.

“Well, let’s get you home! I’d bet you have a lot of homework!” Montresor walked towards the door.

“Decimals and Fractions.” Napoleon sighed.

“Oh boy…” Montresor said, about to step into the hallway. “Maybe I can help with that.”

“Go on, Monty, I’ll catch up.” Florin waved a hoof to shoo them away. “I need to talk to Dazzle first.”

Montresor nodded as he disappeared down the hallway.

“How did you do that?” Florin asked. “I’d figure he go through the entire sixth grade without making a friend! You do it, and on your first day too!”

“I have my ways.” Dazzle smirked. “All I did was talk to him about chemistry. He couldn’t shut up for the rest of the day.”

“Maybe I’ll try that.” Florin tapped a hoof against her chin. “I don’t remember a lick of chemistry though.”

“Just get him talking, and he’ll do the rest.” Dazzle explained. “I hardly said anything at all.”

“Dazzle, you are one magical filly.” Florin pat Dazzle on the shoulder. She trotted towards the door. “I’d better catch up with them before they drive off in the taxi without me!”

“Seeya!” Dazzle waved.

Dazzle slumped back against a desk. Why was Napoleon so lucky? He was born into a family that encouraged him to be social and make more friends. In stark contrast, she was born into a family who constantly bought their way into trust so deals could be made. She couldn’t help but want to be in Napoleon’s place.

“Hey,” she heard next to her.

She spun around and locked eye contact with a colt and a filly. The colt had a white coat and a primed black mane, like Rumble’s. The filly had a lighter shade of blue coat, like the tropical ocean. Her braided blue mane shined in the light.

The colt spoke, “New girl, right?”

“Yeah.” Dazzle nodded.

“We saw Coco Pommel drop you off.” the filly started. “What’s your relationship with her?”

“Daughter.” Dazzle said.

Their eyes widened as they exchanged glances. “Coco has a daughter? Who is your father?”

Dazzle shook her head. “I’m adopted.”

“Oh, that explains a lot.” The filly lifted out a hoof. “The name’s Fancy Gem. Anybody related to Coco is a friend of ours.”

Dazzle shook it.

“Anyways, we were wondering if you can give us an inside on the fashion trends for the upcoming summer?” The colt leaned towards her, as if expecting a surprise.

Dazzle shrugged. “Unfortunately, Coco keeps the styles to herself. I have no idea.”

Fancy Gem scoffed. “C’mon, you gotta know something.”

“Fancy Gem, Dark Style, what are you doing talking to her?” An Orange filly with a red mane approached. Her hair was styled to the point where it almost copied Coloratura’s.

“Getting the newest trends, what else?” Fancy Gem scoffed.

“You’re wasting your time.” The orange filly said. “I know this mule.”

“Quite a nerve you got.” Fancy Gem raised an eyebrow and turned to her. “Coco’s adoptee. Who would she be to you, Babs?”

“She is the bully I talked about during my visit to Ponyville.” Babs sneered. “Can barely stand for herself. I doubt her and her ‘new mom’ will be able to keep up with the community.” Babs waved her hooves in quotations.

“Don’t you dare say talk about Coco that way!” Dazzle growled. If they attacked her, fine. But, Coco? Coco was innocent!

“It’s a free Equestria. I can say anything about anypony, whenever I want.” Babs smirked. “You're just a nobody now. Stripped of your power back in Ponyville, and now planning to torment ponies here.”

Fancy Gem gasped. Dark style pursed his lips in a ‘o’.

Dazzle clenched her teeth. She wanted to pound Babs in the Muzzle, but she held back. As long as she didn't insult Coco again, she would hold her peace. As she always done...

“She’s an actress. She’ll try to make friends with you, then stab you in the back. She belongs with Underdog and his band of misfits.” She shifted her posture away from Dazzle. “Let’s get out of here.”

Babs smirked as she trotted away.

Dazzle could only sit there. Tears came into her eyes. But a voice came to her mind; ‘Don’t cry in public, you spoiled brat! Only foals cry.’

Dazzle took a deep breath and closed her eyes. With each deep breath, she swallowed poisonous feelings. Was Babs right? Was she a misfit?

No! She thought as she pushed them back down. She just made two friends! She was better than this!

“Hey Dazzle!” Coco chimed in.

Dazzle looked up to the mare who she could called her new parent. She smiled as she accepted a hug.

“How was school today?” Coco asked.

“Fine.” Dazzle responded quickly, pushing back tears. To keep Coco from worrying, she added a little cherry on top. “I made friends with Napoleon!”

“Ah! That’s great!” Coco said. She picked up Dazzle’s saddlebags and led the way out “We’d better be going; I have a Hearts and Hooves line to finish.”

Dazzle followed her out. Just as she passed the doorway, she blew a raspberry at those three jerks.

As Dazzle followed Coco down the hall, Coco looked back and offered, “It seems customary that a parent and foal have a piggy-back ride. Would you like one?”

“Sure.” Dazzle said.

Coco sat on her haunches for a second while Dazzle climbed on and wrapped her forelegs around Coco’s neck. Coco lifted up and started to walk towards the exit.

“I hope I’m not too heavy.” Dazzle mumbled.

“Oh, not at all!” Coco glanced around. “It’s nice to see you are transitioning into your new school well!”

Dazzle couldn’t help but feel calm as she rode on Coco’s back.

Then… she spotted a couple on-lookers who exchanged looks of surprise.

“Everypony is looking at us weird.” Dazzle observed.

“Oh, it’s just me, Dazzle. They’re surprised to see such a young fashionista with a filly your age.” Coco glanced back at her. “I know you don’t take kindly to this, but part of what Berry Ice said was true- some of my newfound fame will rub off on you.”

Dazzle matched eyes with a Gray Unicorn Colt. He had a couple scrapes on him, a black ring of fur around both his eyes. It made him look like a robber. A mare, presumably his mother, dragged him along. As he paused, he gave her a hard to forget look. Before he could say anything, though, the mare growled. “C’mon. We’re going to be late for Mr. Cookie.”

That look, she knew as something she’d seen before. Something she’d seen in the mirror. Envy.

“You okay Dazzle? You’re kinda choking me.” Coco wheezed as she pushed the door open.

“Yeah… I’m fine.” Dazzle loosened her grip. “Just need to get used to being stared at.”

“Just imagine you are on a stage.” Coco said. “It’s not much different than that.”

“Coco?”

“Hmm?”

“Do you get nervous when ponies stare at you?”

“All the time!” Coco said. “That’s why I don’t go out as often as I’d like. But right now, we can work together. Sound good?”

“Sounds good.” Dazzle replied. She had a faint idea to wave to the onlookers. Who knows? Maybe she’d have fun with it.

Author's Note:

Woohoo! Dazzle is making friends! Hopefully she'll be able to put the past behind her and move forward to a new life!

This new section might go a bit too fast, but I believe it is the hump before we get to the really good chapters! More later!

PreviousChapters Next