• Published 7th Apr 2016
  • 960 Views, 16 Comments

Transparent Living - PinoyPony



Disowned by her parents, Diamond Tiara is hastily sent to Mane-hattan to meet Coco Pommel. Even if she has come to turn a new leaf in her growth, there is still a lot for her to learn. New town, new life.

  • ...
1
 16
 960

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 14: Warm Hearts

December

Cloudsdale had blanketed the city in snow.

Dazzle wanted to play in it, but all that covered the busy streets were slush, mush, and mud. Central park still had some patches of untouched snow, but not enough that Dazzle could make snow-angels and snow-mares.

For countless mornings, she just stood, head on hoof propped against the windowsill, watching countless taxis and ponies bustle by. The city never slept in the winter.

That's why, on Hearth's Warming Eve, Coco wanted to surprise Dazzle.

It started with a knock on the door. That would be the first of many.

“Dazzle, can you please answer that? I'm in the middle of a pattern here.” Coco asked.

She heard the clatter of hoofsteps down the hall. Dazzle appeared out of the corridor, trotting towards the door.

Coco had to try hard to keep the smug look off her face. She felt bad for telling a half-truth, but it was part of her plans.

Dazzle opened the door. “Hey Entry, how's it going?”

“Great, Dazzle, and you?” Entry smiled.

“Good.” Dazzle said.

Entry winked at Coco. Coco finished with “...Aaaaand Done!” Coco flicked the switch off and trotted up to the door.

“Follow me.” Entry Instructed.

Dazzle gave Coco a look of confusion. Coco nudged her and said “Don't worry… go on.”

Coco exited the apartment, and locked the door. She tossed the key under the mat and caught up with Entry and Dazzle.

Coco smiled as Entry led Dazzle to the elevator. Dazzle would occasionally glance back. Her eyebrows raised and her mouth cupped in an ‘o’ shape.

Entry held the elevator door open and allowed her and Dazzle to come in. She clicked the topmost button and the doors closed.

The elevator lurched up.

The Elevator door opened. Another mare with a white coat and magenta-orange striped mane squeezed by and entered as they exited.

“Just a little further.” Entry said as she led the way. She opened a dilapidated door that opened up to a stairwell. The red bricks along the side hugged the sides of the stairs, making the room very small and cold.

Entry started to ascend the grated staircase. Coco rushed ahead to hold the door open for Dazzle.

Dazzle still had the look on her face.

Once they ascended the stairs, they found Entry at the top, mumbling to herself as she fiddled with the keys.

“Horsefeathers! Probably should've replaced the lock, darn thing…” Entry cursed as she tugged at the key.

Finally, the key came loose and Entry wrenched the door open. “Merry Hearth’s Warming, Dazzle.” She said as held the door open.

Dazzle gasped.

Outside, the top of the building had a patio, covered with a layer of untouched snow. In the corner, as Entry set up ahead of time, was a fire pit, alight with a blazing flame.

Coco nudged her to go forward.

As they stepped out, Entry said “The rooftop hasn't been touched since summer. The resident who pays rent on this didn’t mind at all lending it you. Feel free to play in the flower beds. If you need me, I'll be downstairs.”

“You're not… staying?” Coco said. She should’ve told Entry this was a stay-awhile type of deal.

“Sorry I can't join you, I gotta get back to my post.” She propped the door open with a wooden wedge.

“Aw, Entry, can't you join us?” Coco asked. Maybe she could mimic Dazzle's puppy eyes.

“I'd love to, but I have to make sure…”

“C'mon! It's Hearth's Warming!” Dazzle interrupted. She waved her hooves in the air. “Let loose a little!”

After a minute of thinking, Entry sighed. “Fine, I can spare some time for a mallow.”

“Yippee!” Dazzle exclaimed as she dashed towards the flowerbeds, which were covered in inches of snow.


“So, why do they call you Entry?” Dazzle asked.

Entry popped a S’more into her mouth. “I like visiting new places. Especially ones with views. That's why I picked Rosily Hotel.”

“Where you’ve been?” asked Dazzle.

“Los Pegasus, Canterlot, the Crystal Empire… just to name a few…” Entry said with a smile.

“What made you choose Mane-hattan?” Dazzle said as she munched on a S’more, with a freshly burned marshmallow from the fire.

“Come, I got something to show you.” She got up off the lawn chair and waved for Dazzle to follow.

Dazzle followed Entry. Entry leapt up on the wall on the edge of the building, and motioned for Dazzle to hop up also. Coco felt a nick of something- scary- she decided to join them just in case.

“Be careful about the edge there, Dazzle.” Coco reached out to yank Dazzle back, but Dazzle swatted at her hoof.

Coco took a step back. She rubbed her sore hoof.

“So this is how it feels to be a pegasus.” Dazzle said.

Entry chuckled. “Yes it is.” She pointed outward to the rest of the skyscrapers- “We aren’t the tallest building, but we still have a view. Look!”

Dazzle and Coco looked out toward the sea. In the midst of the ocean was the Statue of Liberty, waves pounding on the outcropping of rock.

“WOW!” Dazzle said.

“It’s a fact that I like to visit new places, but of all my favorites is a rapidly changing city with a beautiful view. You should come here at night. The city lights and the ocean surrounding us are mesmerizing and ghostly beautiful.”

Dazzle smiled “I’ll keep that in mind.”

Entry looked back at Coco, and looked at her watch. She nodded slightly.

Coco got up and held a hoof to help Dazzle down. “Let’s get back to the room.”

“Aww!” Dazzle pouted. “The fire is still going!”

“I’ll clean it up.” Entry said. “You go ahead. A little filly needs her rest.”

Dazzle glared at Entry. Entry clicked her tongue as she picked up the bucket of water.


Dazzle rushed into the apartment when she saw the door ajar. Coco couldn’t help but snicker as she casually trotted in.

Dazzle frantically rushed from the kitchen to the living room to check if anything was missing. Her concern seemed to intensify as she zipped back and forth. Who knew that the little filly was such a ball of energy?

Coco thanked Celestia that Dazzle didn’t notice her strange calmness.

“Oh no! The bedroom!” Dazzle ran towards her room.

Coco shook her head. I hope she doesn’t have reflexes like her butler. Coco slowly trotted towards the bedroom.

“WHAT ARE YOU DOING HERE?” Dazzle shouted.

Coco just entered the room when Monty started talking. “We are giving you a Hearth’s warming present.”

Marigold studied the instructions. She had a stumped look on her face as if she was trying to solve a math problem.

Florin and Monty were on the ground with several screws and several planks of wood. For the most part, the frame was done, what was left was the supporting beams.

“Uhm, start in the middle with that plank… no the other plank.” Marigold instructed as she lifted her eyes above the oversized paper.

“You should’ve seen us, Coco! Who knew beds were that complicated?” Florin chuckled as she hoofed the screwdriver to Monty. He grasped the handle in his mouth and started to fasten the middle beam.

“Almosf dune, Coco.” Monty said with the screwdriver in his mouth.

“I’ll make us some Hot Chocolate while we wait.” Coco said. She patted Dazzle on the back and clicked her tongue. Dazzle seemed to take the hint and followed Coco out.

Coco fastened her apron and took a pot out of the cupboard. She filled it with water and set it on the stove. She reached the dial to turn on the stove, but Dazzle hopped up and turned it on for her.

“Thanks, Dazzle.” Coco said. She started humming ‘You gotta share, you gotta care’ as she opened the pantry and scoured the shelves. “Ah ha!” She exclaimed as she took a canister off the middle shelf and uncapped it.

The strong scent of Chocolate, like a chocolatery’s assortment filled her nostrils as she uncapped the lid. “Dazzle, since you’re already on the counter, can you get five mugs?”

Dazzle nodded and opened a cupboard. She took out a mug with a thread and needle design on it and set it down.

Her mugs were mismatched. It was funny, since each Hearth’s Warming, without fail, she would be gifted a mug with a packet of Hot Chocolate… maybe some peppermint on the side. It probably had to do with the Clever pun of her name- ‘Coco’. However, since she wasn’t really that much of a Cook, most of them would be unused.

Which reminded her…

Coco went back to the cupboard and took out a bag of peppermint candies. She grabbed a plate and laid the bag flat on the countertop. She started to whack the bag and crush the peppermint into powder. It made Dazzle jump a little bit.

Dazzle started to rip open some packets and put them into the mugs.

Coco finished crushing the peppermint and was about to add it to the powder, but got a sudden idea. She smiled as she put the bag down and trotted over to the refrigerator and took out some Whip Cream.

Coco started to hum the tune again as she started to pour the hot water into the cups.

“Coco, may I ask you something?” Dazzle asked.

“Sure.” Coco said as she added the crushed peppermint to the swirling caramel liquid.

“Why are you being so nice to me?”

“I’m just making Cocoa, Dazzle. Nothing special.”

“I’m not dumb, Coco.” Dazzle said. “You don’t have to get a bed for me.”

Coco was caught off guard with her serious tone. She looked Dazzle in the eye, and with all the courage she could muster, she started “You’re a friend. Friends are nice to each other, aren’t they? Besides… it’s Hearth’s Warming.” Coco decided to throw in that last part for good measure.

Coco topped off the mugs with some whip cream then sprinkled some more peppermint atop it.

Dazzle took some of the mugs and set them on the table.

“We’re finished!” Marigold called out as the three ponies filed out of the hallway.

“Just in time too! Cocoa is ready!” Coco snickered “Pun not intended.”

All of them took a seat nearby. Coco slipped into a seat, one right next to Dazzle. She leaned towards her and said “We’ll talk later.”

Monty started off “My, Coco, you’ve outdone yourself!” He gingerly lifted the mug up and took a sip.

“Heh, thanks.” Coco said, she rubbed her sky blue mane nervously. “Excited for the get-together come tomorrow?”

“Yesiree!” Florin said. “Bring your cooking talent with you, I want to teach you how to make our family’s famous green-bean casserole!”

“Ooo.” Coco said. “I’m not sure I should. It’s your family’s best-kept secret after all!”

“Pssh. Coco, you’re like family, and so is Marigold!” Florin waved to the yellow mare. “Now, if only we could get Napoleon and Bling-Bling to talk to each other, that would be great.”

Marigold gave her an irritated snort. “Let’s not get on that subject.”

Monty shook his head. “If it’s no trespass, I think once they meet Dazzle, that will be resolved- just look at her magic between Coco and Yttrium!” He waved to Coco.

Coco blushed. “Well, I wouldn’t jump to conclusions…”

“Excuse me for a minute.” Dazzle set her mug down and trotted over to her room.

Coco waited until the door shut and started to whisper “Sorry, I think I hurt her feelings. Usually when she does that, she is upset. I’ll go see what’s the matter.”

Florin nodded. “Go for it. The poor thing has been through a lot these past few months.”

Coco scootched out and trotted over to the room. She opened it, finding Dazzle sitting on her haunches atop her brand-new bed. Nothing out of the ordinary. Dazzle was just sitting motionless, zoning off as she stared blankly towards the ice-covered window.

“May I come in?” Coco asked.

Dazzle didn’t turn her head. She just nodded.

“I’m sorry for what I said earlier… I didn’t mean to hurt your feelings.” Coco addressed immediately. “I just wanted to get you something for Hearth’s-”

“It’s not that.” Dazzle interupted.

Coco took a seat right next to her. “What’s wrong?”

“I… I don’t know.” Dazzle said.

“Don’t know?”

“I feel strange.”

Coco paused. “Can you explain it? In words?”

Dazzle grimaced. “I guess the best word I can use to describe it is… flat.”

“Flat?” Coco said. “Do you feel everything is flat or bland? Or whatever it is?”

“Not the surroundings, just me.” Dazzle sighed. “Back at home, I used to get everything I want without any second glance. Many of my classmates would call me spoiled brat, even Mrs. Cheerilee would say it from time to time. But now…”

“Are you saying you want some more things?” Coco said “I know it’s Hearth’s Warming Eve, but we can still go out, pop in the local toy store and…”

“No, it’s okay.”

“No, I mean it, I can spend a few extra bits… it’s not that big of a deal.”

“I probably sound ungrateful.” Dazzle shed a tear. She looked down at the mattress, now freshly set on the bedframe.

“Nonono.” Coco said. “You’ve been through a rough transition. I can buy you anything you like. Anything to help you during the tough times you’ve been through.”

Suddenly, the door flew open.

“Dazzle, you’re okay. We know that you are still trying to adjust.” Marigold said as she stepped into room

Coco’s eyes widened as she stared at two pairs of ears right around each side of the doorframe. “C’mon, you two, you are foolin’ anypony.” She said. In response, Monty and Florin joined Marigold on the side of the bed.

“No, it’s fine.” Dazzle said. “That’s not really the problem. I feel something, something I’ve never felt before.”

Coco motioned for her to continue.

“It feels… odd, like the type of feeling that I got right before I left Ponyville.” Dazzle started. “It felt sad… leaving everything in the past behind, but at the same time, I felt calm. I knew I did the right thing helping out the school. But now, this time of year brings up memories. Memories of how good it felt to… share with others, to finally feel loved, but at the same time, undeserving.”

Coco smiled. “Oh, Dazzle, you’ve been feeling Nostalgia.”

Dazzle looked at Coco with wonder. “Nostalgia?”

Monty cut in. “I’m not sure if it counts as nostalgia. But, the way it works is that you have a memory, a good memory stored in the back of the mind. Once it resurfaces, it feels great, but sad at the same time- makes you feel… empty.”

“It’s like forgetting about a toy or trinket you’ve had for a while, then rummaging through a junk drawer for it to turn up. You find it… then your mind goes into a special place and reflects- my, those were some good times.” Florin added

Marigold nodded. “Sweetie, I think because you’ve had such a shocking and traumatic experience, it’s made you reflect on how easy life before the experience happened. The key is to acknowledge it happened, smile upon it and treasure it when it turns up, but don’t let those feelings eat you up.”

Coco sighed. Maybe it wasn’t such a bad thing for them to come in after all.

Dazzle hugged Coco. Tears wet her face, and as Dazzle buried her face into Coco’s barrel, she felt the cold touch of water against her skin.

Coco looked back to the three of them and mouthed “Thank you.”

Dazzle lifted her head up and said. “Thank you. It’s just been so hard with… what’s been going on. It feels good to have… friends.”

“Anytime, Dazzle.” Florin said. She pushed herself off the bed. “Say we finish up Coco’s cocoa? We don’t want it to get cold...”

Dazzle smiled and wiped the stray tears away from her face. “That would be great. I’d love some more cocoa.”

Author's Note:

Hey Hey! Whadya know! A Very Early release! It's my way for apologizing for last chapter's late update. Think of it as Christmas (Or Hearth's Warming) in July... though July has passed.

This one was easier to handle since it was a filler chapter that slows it down and calms the tides (after the previous three chapters- First, a Coco's Play with an Older Tiara. Second, Hospital Volunteering with a Yttrium Dilemma. Third, A Court Hearing with News from Randolph. My... that was busy :unsuresweetie:) I guess I call this chapter a quieter sibling to the big three. Unfortunately for me, after chapter 15 (and most likely 16), There won't be a filler chapter in a long time.

Anyways, hopefully you enjoyed Transparent Living Section 3!

PreviousChapters Next