• Published 7th Apr 2016
  • 967 Views, 16 Comments

Transparent Living - PinoyPony



Disowned by her parents, Diamond Tiara is hastily sent to Mane-hattan to meet Coco Pommel. Even if she has come to turn a new leaf in her growth, there is still a lot for her to learn. New town, new life.

  • ...
1
 16
 967

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 45: Impossible

"If we cut into the flow we have for Barnyard Bargains and move it into an investment for Newcart's business, then we can have a turnaround faster." Mr. Rich said.

"I don't know, Filthy." His wife replied. "Newcart is an unstable bit-stock, and getting Barnyard Bargains to cooperate is a whole new issue."

"Yes, but―” Filthy said before he was cut off by the study door flying open.

Randolph, with a frazzled mane and his bow tie hanging lopsided on his neck was behind it. "Mr. Rich. I didn't want to barge in, but-"

"It can wait, Randolph." Mr. Rich cut him off. "I need to talk with Mrs. Rich about-"

"It's an emergency." Another voice from behind the door spoke. A voice he knew he needed to pay respect to.

From behind the door, Twilight Sparkle walked in.

Mr. Rich folded his hooves "Princess Twilight, what do we owe the honors to?" He said with a bow.

"I'm afraid I come with grim news." Twilight said. "I received a first class post this morning Mane-hattan North. Delivered via one of the fastest fliers in Mane-hattan." She pulled out a letter from her saddlebags.

She read it off. "Dear Princess Sparkle, I regret to inform you that Diamond Dazzle Tiara has been admitted into Mane-hattan North hospital under grave conditions. For the sake of confidentiality, it is recommended that the Rich household makes it over MNH as soon as possible rather than giving the information over letter."

Twilight stuffed the letter in her saddlebags. She retrieved four tickets from her bag. "We have a train to catch."


Coco yawned as she walked down the hallway. Morning.

In a nearby mirror hanging on the wall, she checked her reflection. Through groggy eyes, she snickered at her reflection. She had to get the gel in before the static in hair faded.

As she trotted down the hallway further, she heard the shower running.

Weird… usually Dazzle wasn’t up this early. She knocked on the wooden door. “Dazzle, are you okay in there?”

“Yep! I’m okay!” Dazzle’s voice echoed as she answered. “I just happened to wake up early. Sorry for throwing routine out the window!”

“Don’t worry about it.” Coco said. “Don’t take too long though. I need to get some makeup on.”

“Okay!” Dazzle answered back.

Coco trotted towards the front door, snatched her keys from off the counter, then headed out the door.

Might as well get the mail while waiting. Maybe she’d get another letter from Yttrium. Ever since they had to keep their relationship at a distance, she was more and more excited to check the mail. She would’ve stayed next to her mailbox, checking every second like Pinkie Pie did when Rainbow Dash was off to Wonderbolt’s camp.

As she made her way over to the mail wall, she heard a giggle. She glanced at the Entry, who was hiding a smile behind her hooves.

“Mornin’, Rockstar!” Entry said with a wave.

“Morning!” Coco said, looking at the stallion who was leaning on the desk. “How goes it Mr. Pit?”

The stallion grumbled. “Rough morning. Key broke on me. Entry was just bringing out the emergency keys.”

Entry, who was rummaging underneath her desk, said “My goodness, I wish I organized this key box sooner. Sorry, but It’ll be another minute, Mr. Pit.”

Coco decided to leave the key-finding to the professional and opened her mailbox. She shuffled through the envelopes. Bill, bill, junk mail, bill… Ah ha! An envelope with the hospital’s seal and address. Excitedly, she opened it.

Dang. It was just Dazzle’s medical bill. It wasn’t much since it was just a patch-up, and this was the third week of four payments. Still though, it got her hopes up.

Better luck next time. She glanced over to the desk as the sounds of metal clattering intensified. Looks like luck wasn’t on her side either.

“Like a needle in a haystack! Apologies, Mr. Pit!” Entry said.

“See ya Entry! Hope you find the key!” Coco said.

“See ya Coco!” Entry shouted as Coco began to ascend the staircase.

Coco took a look at each bill, estimating how much money that she needed to balance. Thankfully, Dazzle’s medical bill was a pinch cheaper than she previously thought. Speaking of Dazzle… Maybe Dazzle was done with her shower by now.

She re-entered the apartment and headed towards the hallway. She heard the water running. Darn it. Still showering. Well, got to pay the bills anyway...


As Coco ate her yogurt, she read the newspaper. As per usual, more breakouts of Corrosion across Equestria, followed by the medical community being hounded to find a cure. She couldn’t imagine what Yttrium was going through right now.

As she read a little further, a thought tingled in her brain... Dazzle was taking an awful long time in the shower. She swatted it away, as she just chalked it up to not having her medication. Without it, her mind would start thinking of worst-case scenario. Some of it was founded, but then again, some of it wasn’t unfounded.

She got up from her seat and headed for the bathroom. If anything, she needed to take her medication now.

“Dazzle, I think it’s time to come out now. Leave some hot water for me!” Coco knocked on the door.

Coco sat still for a second, then asked a little louder. "Dazzle?"

She let a minute or two pass, then knocked a little more furiously. “Dazzle!”

Coco twisted the knob. Locked. She started to pound on the door. "Dazzle! Open up! You're scaring me!"

No answer.

“Dazzle! Please! Come out!” Coco shouted as she threw herself against the door. Although the door cracked and popped in protest, it wouldn’t budge.

Her heart raced. She started to connect the dots. She put her ear to the door. Nothing but running water. She rammed the door again, putting all her weight and power into it.

Availing nothing, she crumpled to the floor and cried. Her mind was going in several different directions. What if? Help her! Quick! The more time you waste…

Racing outside, she started to scream, “Help! Help!”

As she charged into the hallway, Entry and Mr. Pit glanced at her, bewildered.

“Entry! Can you unlock the door to my bathroom?” Coco

Entry sheepishly held up a key ring. “Uhm… I don’t have the key, but―”

“Please you need to help! It’s Dazzle! She’s in the bathroom and hasn’t answered me.” Coco sobbed.

Without hesitation, Mr. Pit rushed into Coco’s apartment.

Coco and Entry followed him. When they reached the hallway to the bathroom, Mr. Pit threw himself against the door. The wood creaked and snapped in protest before he gave one final push and the door snapped open.

Coco rushed up and turned the corner to peer into the bathroom. Then Coco fell to pieces. On the floor, Dazzle lay still, her chest barely rising and falling, faintly breathing.

“You liar! You promised!” Coco sobbed as she pulled the filly in an embrace. “You can’t break a Pinkie Promise! YOU CAN’T!” She rocked her back and forth.

“Wait a sec! Can I see her for a second?” The stallion asked, holding his hooves out.

Coco, not sure of what to make of it, carefully set Dazzle into his hooves.

The stallion lifted Dazzle and examined her forehead and face. "Impossible. I mean, she’s an Earth pony." He said.

"What?" Coco asked, a bubble of anger rising through her chest. “What does being an Earth Pony have to do with ―

"Call an ambulance." He told Entry.

Entry galloped off. He turned to Coco.

"I've seen this before. I remember this nightmare clear as day. My wife, Avocado, was passed out on the floor after I got home from work." He glanced at Dazzle and pointed to features around her ears, her eyes, and forehead. "Cloudy eyes, white dust forming behind the ears and veins like chalk on the temple.

Carefully, he gave Dazzle back to Coco. “I don’t understand though, she doesn't have any magic capabilities.”

“Wait… you mean to tell me…” Coco covered her mouth.

He stared at Coco grimly. "Corrosion."

Author's Note:

Way to start the new year off, huh? Well, the ending of Transparent Living is long overdue, so I decided to dive straight into Section 7. The schedule will continue as it says on my user page.

...I kinda wanted to warn first, but little by little, delay after delay, I know I should be wrapping this up. All in all, welcome to the last chapters of Transparent Living! The ending that none of you probably expected, but was planned from its inception.

Thank you for reading thus far, just a little more farther!

PreviousChapters Next