• Published 14th Jun 2012
  • 5,590 Views, 263 Comments

Yu-Gi-Oh! Equus - moviemaster8510



An aspiring duelist's life changes forever when the world of Equestria appears near Earth.

  • ...
61
 263
 5,590

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 30: Ride

“Claude!” exclaimed Alex happily. “What are you doing here?”

“I’m certified to be a riding duel instructor. Plus, I work here when I’m off duty.”

“How did you even know that I would be here?”

“When I came over to your house that one time, I told a little bit about myself to Carolyn, including my job as an instructor. When you got your motorcycle yesterday, she called up the DMV and specifically asked for me to test you. So, how about it? You ready to show me what you can do?”

“Yes, sir,” responded Alex with a nod.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Tom and Thomas watched as Alex flawlessly weaved and slalomed through the traffic cones. Once Alex was finished with his obstacle course, he did an impressive drifting stop alongside Claude’s duel runner.

“I sure hope you weren’t doing that on your permit,” said Claude.

“Tom taught me how to do it,” responded Alex.

“Sure, blame me,” yelled Tom from the sidelines.

“Alright,” said Claude. “Let’s drive to the track.”
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Now would be Alex’s final test to ensure a duel runner’s license: his first riding duel. Thankfully, the closest track was located a couple of miles from the DMV, the entrance to which was at the northeast corner of the intersection of Book Rd. and 87th St.

The track looked very much like the one in Naperville that Rainbow Dash and Tom rode on: Plexiglas halfpipes that were elevated about thirty feet above ground. However, instead of the track running through the city like it did in Naperville, this one rode through a large area of grassland. Along the entrance to the track, there were bleachers with small TVs equipped to them for any bystanders to watch.

Once Alex, Claude, Tom, and Thomas finally arrived, however, Carolyn’s van was in the parking lot.

“Don’t tell me…” said Alex.

Alex looked out to the stands to see Carolyn, Sarah, Twilight, and her other pony friends sitting and watching the current duel that was concluding between an instructor and a hopeful recipient of a duel runner’s license.

Cont. from Instructor vs. Opponent

Cont. from Intructor’s Turn: I:4 O:1 – The instructor activates Speed World 2’s effect. By removing four speed counter (SpC.: 4 -> 0), he can inflict 800 points of damage to his opponent for each speed spell in his hand. He has two.

Opponent’s Life Points: 1100 -> 0

Instructor wins.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

“Wow, that was fun,” said Rainbow Dash with sarcastic excitement. The instructor had lost only a sliver of his life points, and the opponent’s deck was feeble to say the least. Not only that, but upon stopping at the track lift, the opponent chucked his helmet at the ground in a fit of rage.

“Pick that up!” ordered the instructor, braking at the platform.

“Yeah, yeah,” muttered the opponent, doing as he was told.

“What a poor sport,” commented Applejack.

Upon getting a look at his uncovered face, she could see it was the man who insulted her during the Riverwalk Competition two weeks prior.

“That explains a lot,” she concluded.

Once the platform lowered back down, the opponent left in a huff.

“I should report you for making your instructors too hard,” he complained.

“Or maybe you just suck,” responded Claude.

Upon seeing the muscular black man in front of him, the opponent froze up.

“How’s that nose?” asked Claude slyly.

The man ran to his car scared and sped away.

“Wait,” said Rainbow Dash, “didn’t he forget his duel runner?”

“Those are rentals from the DMV,” answered Claude.

His answer got everyone turning in his direction.

“Hey, Claude!” loudly greeted Applejack.

“Morning, Applejack,” answered Claude.

“I hope you liked your surprise!” called Carolyn to Alex.

“Very much so,” replied Alex. “Thank you!”

“Good luck!”

“Again, thank you!”

Alex and Claude rode their duel runners to the platform where the previous instructor was. With a dismissive high five, the previous instructor rode off the platform and stayed to watch. The platform lifted Alex and Claude to the track. The two then rode up to the starting line. Through the glass halfpipe, Alex saw Twilight and Rainbow Dash waving at him. Alex responded with a vertical-handed, two-fingered salute and point. Alex watched as Tom and Thomas joined the rest of their family and friends, eager to watch the action.

Claude then turned to Alex and addressed him, breaking his attention from his friends.

“Remember when you beat me last time that I said we would fight on equal terms?”

“Sure do,” said Alex.

Claude took out his Ruby Phoenix card and revealed it to Alex, giving a smug smirk as well. Alex responded with a quaint smile and the revelation of his Jade Wyvern.

“Alright,” said Claude, “enough small talk. We’re wasting valuable time here.”

“Couldn’t agree more,” said Alex.

Both duelists had their helmets on already with their visors down, their wrist dealers were set, and the holographic imaging was still set from the last duel. There was only one thing left to do.

“Care to do the honors?” asked Claude.

“Hell yeah!” answered Alex. Alex pressed the Speed World button on his left handlebar. “Speed World 2. Set on!”

A virtual copy of Speed World 2 appeared on both duelists’ duel runners’ screens. Another wave of aura shot from Alex’s vehicle, the field finally being set. Alex and Claude’s screes were now set on a basic dueling field with two sets of five monster zones and five spell/trap card zones. Once the virtual countdown appeared in front of the duelists. They both began to rev their engines.

10. 9. 8. 7. 6. 5. 4. 3. 2. 1. *BEEP*

Alex and Claude launched forward from the starting line. As Claude gave as much juice as his bike could muster, he saw as Alex’s duel runner effortlessly began to surpass him.

“Tricky bastard,” giggled Claude.

“Oh,” responded Alex, having heard him. “If you wanted the first turn, all you had to do was ask.”

Alex slowed down his bike enough to give Claude the lead. Alex allowed Claude to maintain this lead until he took the first turn, giving Claude the first turn.

“What?” yelled Rainbow Dash from the stands. “How come Alex gave up the first turn?”

“He didn’t,” said Tom. “He knows exactly what he’s doing.”

As the two duelists continued to ride, Claude and Alex drew five cards from their decks and slipped placed them onto their wrist dealers to hold them.

“Ready for your final test, man?” asked Claude.

“You bet,” said Alex.

“DUEL!” they both yelled.

Claude vs. Alex

Claude’s Turn: C:1 A:0 – Claude summons Heroic Challenger – Spartan (ATK: 1600 DEF: 1000).

Claude places two cards face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-4000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-2

***************************************************

Alex’s Turn: C:1 A:1 – Alex special summons Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit, as he controls no monsters while his opponent controls one (ATK: 2100 DEF: 1400). Alex sets one monster.

Alex attacks Heroic Challenger – Spartan with Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit, but Claude activates Depth Amulet, discarding a card from his hand to negate the attack.

Alex places one card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-3 Life-4000 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

“Oh,” realized Rainbow Dash. “Now I see why he let Claude take the first turn.”

“Right,” said Tom. “Alex’s deck works better when his opponent has some field presence. However, knowing Alex, he’s not going to allow that to happen.”

Knowing his strategies, thought Alex, who continued to trail behind Claude on the track, the card he discarded was Heroic Challenger – Double Lance. If he has another copy of that monster in his hand, which I’m certain he does, he’ll use summon both monsters and use them plus his other Heroic Challenger monster to summon his Stone of Equus card.

“Alex,” called Claude. “I think you know what’s coming.”

“I certainly do,” said Alex. “Come at me!”

“If that’s what you wish…”

***************************************************
Claude’s Turn: C:2 A:2 – Claude summons Heroic Challenger – Double Lance (ATK: 1700 DEF: 900). When Heroic Challenger – Double Lance is normal summoned, Claude can special summon another Heroic Challenger – Double Lance from his graveyard. Claude overlays both Heroic Challenger – Double Lances and Heroic Challenger – Spartan to xyz summon Ruby Phoenix (ATK: 2600 DEF: 1800).

Claude attacks Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit with Ruby Phoenix, but Alex activate Shift, redirecting the attack towards his face down monster, which is a Dragunity Phalanx (ATK: 500 DEF: 1100). Claude then activates Burning Strike, giving Ruby Phoenix the effect of piercing damage. The attack goes through.

Alex’s Life Points: 4000 -> 2500

Claude ends his turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-4000 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-0
***************************************************

Crap, thought Alex. Now I can’t defend myself. It seems no matter what, his monster will deal damage to me. But with the cards in my hand, I don’t need to defend myself.

***************************************************
Alex’s Turn: C:3 A:3 – Alex summons Dragunity Dux (ATK: 1500 DEF: 1000). Alex activates Dragunity Dux’s effect, targeting a level 3 or lower Dragon-type Dragunity monster in his graveyard and equipping it onto Dragunity Dux, choosing Dragunity Phalanx. Alex then activates Dragunity Phalanx’s effect, special summoning itself from the spell/trap card zone when equipped to a monster by an effect. Alex tunes Dragunity Dux with Dragunity Phalanx to synchro summon Dragunity Knight – Vajrayana (ATK: 1900 DEF: 1200).

Dragunity Knight – Vajrayana is synchro summoned, Alex can equip a level 3 or lower Dragon-type Dragunity monster from his graveyard onto it, choosing Dragunity Phalanx. Alex activates Dragunity Knight – Vajrayana’s effect, sending a card equipped to it to the graveyard and doubling its ATK (ATK: 1900 -> 3800). Alex then activates the speed spell Speed Energy, increasing the ATK of a monster he controls by the number of speed spells Alex has times 200 when he has two or more speed counters, choosing Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit (200 x 3 = 600, ATK: 2100 -> 2700).

Alex attacks Ruby Phoenix with Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit, but Claude activates Ruby Phoenix’s effect. By detaching one xyz material from it, it can prevent its destruction by battle or card effect. Battle damage is applied normally.

Claude’s Life Points: 4000 -> 3900

Alex then attacks Ruby Phoenix with Dragunity Knight – Vajrayana, but Claude activates Ruby Phoenix’s effect, detaching an xyz material to negate its destruction. Battle damage is still applied.

Claude’s Life Points: 3900 -> 2700

Alex overlays Dragunity Knight – Vajrayana and Hieratic Dragon of Tefnuit to xyz summon Jade Wyvern (ATK: 2500 DEF: 2100).

Alex places one card face down and ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-2500 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

Claude and Alex were rounding the curve towards the end of their first lap. Alex sped by the stands to see Twilight, Spike, Tom, and Rainbow Dash cheering him on. Right before he would be too far, he gave a quick nod to them in acknowledgement. The chances that his friends and family themselves would have noticed it was very slim, but it was satisfactory enough that Alex made some kind of gesture. Alex rode up closer to his opponent, so now they were neck and neck.

“I’m surprised you still decided to attack me despite knowing that I still had Depth Amulet in play,” said Claude.

“Why?” answered Alex. “I know you wouldn’t have used it.”

“And what makes you say that?”

“Knowing you, you’d need every card in your hand to be able to set up your future strategies. In fact, the only reason you activated Depth Amulet in the first place was so you could protect Heroic Challenger – Spartan and discard Heroic Challenger – Double Lance to activate its effect later. Since you’ve done that, the card served its purpose.

“Secondly, with two attacks like that, you’d be able to detach two xyz materials from Ruby Phoenix to prevent its destruction, leaving only one more before it activates its much more devastating effect. There’s no way you’d pass up an opportunity like that.”

“Amazing, Alex!” cheered Twilight from the stands, clearly impressed with Alex’s ability to use his opponent’s strategy to his advantage.

“You know,” said Claude in a congratulatory tone, “it’s those kind of decisions that make people the best riding duelists in the world.”

“Thanks, man,” responded Alex.

“However, it still won’t do you any good!”

“What?”

Claude increased his acceleration, surpassing Alex yet again.

“This will be the final turn!”

***************************************************
Claude’s Turn: C:4 A:4 – Claude activates the speed spell Summon Speeder, special summoning Heroic Challenger – Extra Sword from his hand when he has four or more speed counters (ATK: 1000 DEF: 1000). Next, Claude normal summons Heroic Challenger – Swordshield (ATK: 0 DEF: 2000). Claude overlays Heroic Challenger – Swordshield and Heroic Challenger – Extra Sword to xyz summon Heroic Champion – Excalibur (ATK: 2000 DEF: 2000). When a monster is xyz summoned with Heroic Challenger – Extra Sword, that xyz monster gains 1000 ATK (ATK: 2000 -> 3000).

Claude attacks Jade Wyvern with Heroic Champion – Excalibur, but Alex activates Jade Wyvern's effect. By detaching one xyz material from it, Alex can prevent a monster that he controls from being destroyed by battle this turn, choosing Jade Wyvern. Battle damage is still applied.

Alex’s Life Points: 2500 -> 2000

Claude attacks Jade Wyvern with Ruby Phoenix.

Alex’s Life Points: 2000 -> 1900

Claude ends his turn.

Status: Hand-0 Life-2700 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-0
***************************************************

Twilight and Tom both took a sigh, relieved that Alex had survived Claude’s onslaught. However, Alex was far from safe. His life points were rapidly depleting and Claude’s were still, for the most part, intact. Alex was also outnumbered and outstrengthed. Alex would need a strong strategy to win this duel.

***************************************************
Alex’s Turn: C:5 A:5 – Alex activates the speed spell Xyz Treasure, drawing cards up to the number of xyz monsters on the field when he has four or more speed counters (3). Alex then activates the speed spell Count Up, discarding any number of cards in his hand to increase his speed counters by two for each card discarded when he has two or more speed counters (1) (2 x 1 = 2, SpC.: 5 -> 7).

Alex ends his turn.

Status: Hand-2 Life-1900 Monsters-1 Face Down Cards-1
***************************************************

Everyone in the stands couldn’t help but feel their jaws drop. It had seemed at first that Alex had a brilliant play set up, but it looked like he all but squandered it.

“So this is the kind of play I get from you on our rematch?” asked Claude flatly.

Alex’s face didn’t dare move. He only stared out at Claude, awaiting his real final move.

“So be it,” muttered Claude.

***************************************************
Claude’s Turn: C:6 A:8 – Claude activates Heroic Champion – Excalibur’s effect. By detaching two xyz materials from it, Heroic Champion – Excalibur’s ATK becomes double its original ATK until his opponent’s end phase (ATK: 3000 -> 4000).

Claude then activates Speed World 2’s effect. By removing four speed counters (SpC.: 6 -> 2), he can inflict 800 points of damage to his opponent for each speed spell in his hand. He has one. Alex activates the effect of Damage Diet in his graveyard, removing it from play to halve any effect damage he would take this turn.

Alex’s Life Points: 1900 -> 1500

Claude then activates the speed spell Silver Contrails, having a monster that he controls gain 1000 ATK until the end phase by removing two speed counters (SpC.: 2 -> 0), choosing Heroic Champion – Excalibur (ATK: 4000 -> 5000).

Claude attacks Jade Wyvern with Ruby Phoenix, but Alex activates Half Unbreak, preventing the destruction of a monster that he controls by battle and halving the battle damage.

Alex’s Life Points: 1500 -> 1450

Claude attacks Jade Wyvern with Heroic Champion – Excalibur.

Alex’s Life Points: 1450 -> 200

Claude ends his turn.

Status: Hand-1 Life-2700 Monsters-2 Face Down Cards-0
***************************************************

The melancholy that was felt by all who were watching the duel quickly changed to feelings of joy and excitement. Perhaps Alex hadn’t given up at all, and was instead just holding off for something even bigger.

“Quite an interesting strategy,” complimented Claude. "I wonder why you didn’t set Damage Diet instead of sending it to the graveyard.”

“Isn’t it obvious?” asked Alex.

“Is what obvious?” asked Applejack, still confused over Alex’s strategy.

“I don’t understand,” finally answered Claude.

“If I had set Damage Diet and used its effect to halve my effect AND battle damage, I would have also had to use my last xyz material for Jade Wyvern's effect if I wanted to protect it. With Half Unbreak, I can protect my monster all the same."

Twilight smiled wider and wider as she began to realize Alex’s strategy as he told it.

“Now that my monster still has an xyz material attached to it, my chances for beating you with my newest monster's effect has increased. And knowing that you watched mine and Kyle’s duel, I think you know which monster I'm referring to.”

Claude’s face betrayed a hint of fear, as he realized what would come. However, he resumed his confident smirk.

“Well, you’ve got one turn to do it,” said Claude, “‘cause come next turn, I’ll just attack without any interruptions and wipe you out next time.”

“Hmph,” chortled Alex. “There won’t be a next turn.”

***************************************************
Alex’s Turn: C:3 A:9 – Alex activates the Speed World 2’s effect, removing seven speed counters (SpC.: 9 -> 2) to draw one card. Alex summons Hieratic Dragon of Gebeb (ATK: 1800 DEF: 400). Alex then special summons Hieratic Dragon of Su by tributing Hieratic Dragon of Gebeb. When Hieratic Dragon of Gebeb is tributed, Alex can special summon a normal Dragon-type monster from his graveyard, choosing Hieratic Seal of the Dragon King (ATK: 0 DEF: 0). Alex overlays Hieratic Dragon of Su and Hieratic Seal of the Dragon King to xyz summon Hieratic Dragon King of Atum (ATK: 2400 DEF: 2100).

With his life points below 500, Alex overlays Jade Wyvern and Hieratic Dragon King of Atum to xyz summon Shining Platinum Dragon (ATK: 3500 DEF: 2500). Alex activates the speed spell Silver Contrails, removing two speed counters (SpC.: 2 -> 0) to increase the ATK of a monster he controls by 1000, choosing Shining Platinum Dragon (ATK: 3500 -> 4500).

Alex then activates Shining Platinum Dragon’s effect. By detaching all xyz materials from it, Alex can reveal a number of cards on the top of his deck equal to the number of xyz materials detached (5). Shining Platinum Dragon gains 500 ATK for each Dragon-type monster revealed by this effect. The cards revealed are Negate Attack, Dragunity Legionnaire, Dragunity Arma Mystletainn, Overboost, and Hieratic Seal of the Sun Dragon Overlord (2 x 500 = 1000, ATK: 4500 -> 5500).

Alex attacks Ruby Phoenix with Shining Platinum Dragon.

Claude’s Life Points: 2700 -> 0

Alex wins.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

Claude’s gas tank opened up and showered him with cool exhaust. Once Alex rode past him, Alex performed an impressive sliding stop considering the speed he was going. Alex could hear his friends’ and family’s cheers from the stands, despite them being very far from the starting line. Claude dismounted his bike and put his helmet on the seat. Alex did the same as the two both approached each other in the middle between both bikes.

“Well,” admitted Claude. “This kind of sucks.”

“Why?” giggled Alex. “Because I won?”

“Not so much that, but the fact that I’m never going to have a riding duel that fun again.”

“Yeah,” agreed Alex wholeheartedly. “After that, I felt like it would be a great disservice to duel anyone other than you.”

“I’m glad you think so,” said Claude, reaching his hand for a handshake. Alex happily, but respectfully clasped his hand onto Claude’s.

“I can really see you becoming a damn fine riding duelist,” said Claude.

“Me too,” responded Alex.

“Come on. I’m sure your friends and family would like to celebrate with you now.”

Alex and Claude made their way back to their bikes and rode to the lift that would bring them back down.
_________________________________________________________________________________________

*Chink*

The camera flash was bright as Alex smiled for his license photo. After getting up and walking to the woman at the counter, she handed him his official license with his mug officially printed on it.

“Congratulations, Mr. Yuwell, you are all set. Have a good day.”

“You too,” said Alex kindly, trying to fix the indiscretion he made earlier.

Alex held his card in the air while his family and friends applauded him.

“So,” said Tom. “What do you want to do now?”

“Would you care to be my first official non-test duel?” asked Alex in a similar manner to asking someone to a school dance.

“Oh, it is on!”

Alex and Tom rushed to their duel runners and took off for the Naperville riding duel track, ready to finally ride alongside each other for the first time.

PreviousChapters Next