• Published 13th Feb 2016
  • 2,635 Views, 203 Comments

The Royal Canterlot Family - CartoonNerd12



A series of oneshots that is tied to my fairy-tales of MLP.

  • ...
3
 203
 2,635

Spell of Eternal Youth

Sunset was having tea with her once-caretaker and warden in their old manor home. Because of redemption and forgiveness, she was able to move past her ex-guardian's terrible deeds and focus on the present. Starlight was very open with her now that she had confessed her reasons as to why she took Sunset and locked her away. But Sunset already knew her reasoning since she read Starlight's diaries during the sleeping curse. However, she didn't tell her that since she wanted Starlight to be upfront with her.

At least she's not lying anymore… Sunset thought with content.

"I know taking you is no excuse for my lost phoenix, but at the time, I felt I was losing Sunburst all over again…"

"I understand… My dad could have handled the situation better, but at the same time, he was desperate just like you were when you took me…"

"But I made them forget all about you… I still can't believe you were willing to forgive so easily…"

"What's done is done… It's all in the past now. I have a future and a family, including you…"

Starlight touched her heart in awe and tears formed in her eyes, "Really?"

"Really… you were the only mother I ever knew. Did I wish you showed more affection toward me? Yes. But that's not really your fault. You didn't know how to be affectionate because you were alone most of your life…"

"Yes, it has been a lonely existence…" Starlight dejectedly sighed.

"I know…" Sunset sighed, knowing it was time to tell her about the diaries, "Your great-uncle Star Swirl wasn't very good to you…"

Starlight gaped, "How… how do you know…?"

"You see, I… we… It was during the sleeping curse and…" She revealed about how she and the brothers-in-law who were awake due to their different species and their half-pony daughters. She also told her former guardian about how Snow Pea and her were awake due to the Elemental Jewelry they wore. She told Starlight about them staying at the manor and finding and reading the diaries.

"We didn't mean to pry - okay, Discord meant to pry… but I told him we should have left those diaries alone, but curiosity got the better of us as he "subtly" opened the book…"

"So… you know everything about my history…?"

"Yes… I'm sorry for looking without your permission, but I started understanding you better and I felt sorry that I left you when I did…"

"I was wondering why you forgave me so easily when Radiant Hope helped heal me and understand the wrongs I had done… This explains everything…"

"You're… not mad at me?"

"No. Frankly, I deserved my privacy to be invaded like that and you deserved to know the truth about me…"

"Well, I'm happy you're being honest with me right now."

"And I'm happy you're living the life you always wanted… That's something I could never have…"

"Don't say that! You deserve happiness in your life, too! I know the eternal youth spell you cast on yourself affects your true love. I bet if we start searching for him…"

"Sunset, I don't believe I have a true love… When I cast that spell on myself, I was sure it wasn't going to affect anypony else because I didn't want a true love…"

"But that doesn't mean the spell couldn't have affected the pony you were meant to be with."

"Even if that was true… Could some pony love me after what I did to you and your family?"

Sunset slightly frowned. That was a pretty good point she made. Just because she was able to forgive her guardian after everything, could somepony look past that and fall in love with the broken mare Sunset saw now?

"I have taken this path, Sunset… I have no one to blame but myself… I am resigned to be alone for all eternity…"

"You won't be alone. You'll have me… I care about you."

"But it won't be like this forever. With the spell of eternal youth, I'll be immortal while you will age and…" She couldn't bring herself to say it and wept.

Tears also formed in Sunset's eyes, "Then we'll just have to spend the time we do have…" She had a determined look, "And to do that, I say we go visit one of Equestria's famous places, the Crystal Empire!"

"But isn't that where your cousin Princess Cadence lives with her family?"

"It is, so I know we'll be welcomed there with open hooves."

"But… I stole her memory. I don't think she would appreciate me visiting her kingdom…"

"Don't worry. They're big on second chances. Her own mother cast the sleeping curse! Radiant Hope was Belladonna and they decided to forgive her. Once they see you with me, they'll know everything is alright."

"Well… if you're sure…"

Sunny smiled, "I'm sure."


The Crystal Empire was glorious - to say the least - for Starlight and it was even more exciting having her foster daughter with her as they took in the sights and went shopping. She was scared when they first stayed at the palace, but Cadence, Shining Armor, and even little Skyla were welcoming toward her once Sunset explained how much had changed since her isolation. It was nice being around ponies who didn't judge her about her past deeds. At one point in the visit, she was at the spa with Sunset and Cadence as they chatted away.

"Shiny and I were best friends since we were young and we didn't know it, but we fell in love."

Starlight sighed, "You're quite lucky. Sunburst and I did everything together until he got his cutie mark and went away… I never saw him again."

"Sunburst… that name sounds familiar… Oh! Of course! He was the stallion who did Skyla's crystalling!"

"What?!" Starlight and Sunset both sat up on their massage tables and their cucumber slices fell off.

"Sunburst is our local crystaller and a tutor for the crystal ponies."

"He's… he's here…?" Starlight could hardly believe it. Her heart started pounding like crazy.

"Oh, my gosh! Starlight, this is perfect! You can rekindle your friendship with him!" Sunset beamed at the thought.

"Now, hold on a minute! What makes you think I want to see him? For that matter, he might not remember me. I'm sure he's an old stallion at this point and has difficulties remembering things."

Cadence inquired, "Old? What do you mean old?"

"Well, this will come as a surprise, but I'm actually older than I appear to be. I should actually be your mother's age and be a grandmother at this point. But because I cast the spell of eternal youth on myself, I have remained in my prime all this time."

Sunset added, "It is said that it affects the caster's true love, too."

"Is that so…?" The Princess of Love went deep in thought, and then asked, "So you have known Sunburst since you were young?"

"We knew each other as kids. It's been such a long time…"

"Hm. You know, it might do you some good to see him… Just so you get some closure with him."

"You… think so?"

"Absolutely. For a long time, Shining Armor and I were separated due to my curse. When we saw each other again, it was wonderful… I can't guarantee that will happen with you and Sunburst, but knowing that you tried to reach out to him will help you move on with your life…"

"I… suppose so… Do you know where he lives?"

"Certainly." She gave her the directions of Sunburst's crystal home.

Sunset questioned, "Do you want me to come with you?"

"Well… it might be a bit awkward to admit that I kidnapped you and that we're on good terms regardless…"

"Good point. You go on ahead and we'll meet you back at the castle."

Starlight nodded and headed out.

Sunset turned to see that Cadence was wearing a grin. "Do you know something?"

"Perhaps…"

"What?"

"Well, I was surprised that Starlight thought of Sunburst as an old stallion, but when she admitted about the eternal youth spell, it all made sense."

"What made sense?"

"Sunburst actually looks fairly young."

Sunset's mouth slowly went wide open, "Wait… are you saying…?"

Cadence just smirked.


Starlight took a deep breath and knocked on the door. How life must have been good to him… No doubt he became an esteemed wizard, found a good mare to marry, had children, and now probably has grandchildren to boot. I wonder what his wife is like…

The door slowly opened and a voice said, "Yes?"

"Sunburst? It's… me, Starlight Glimmer."

"Star…light?" There was a pause. "Is it really you?" The door went wide open, revealing a young adult Sunburst wearing a blue cape and a goatee.

Starlight gasped at the sight, "You're… you're young!"

"So are you!" he pointed.

"But… but it's been over fifty years! You should be an old stallion having memory loss at this point!"

"I could say the same for you. Shouldn't you be an old mare with grandkids?"

"I should, but that's not the case…" she blushed.

"Come inside." he gestured.

Once they had sat down, Starlight explained about casting the spell of eternal youth on herself.

"I know that spell, but isn't that qualified as dark magic?"

"Yes. When I was at the school where you should have been, I took that spell from the Dark Magic wing in the Canterlot archives. Just why were you not at the School for Gifted Unicorns when I finally got my cutie mark? I searched everywhere for you."

He sighed, "I couldn't perform magic as powerfully as other students. I felt like a failure, so I dropped out and headed back to our hometown. But when I got there, I learned you left and I went searching for you."

"You… you did?" she couldn't believe what she was hearing.

"Yeah. I was upset learning that the only friend I ever had was gone. I tried to find you, but the months turned into years. Just when I thought I was getting older, I found myself staying the exact same age!"

Starlight's eyes widened and slowly said, "You don't think…?"

He looked confused, but then started putting two and two together. The eternal youth spell could affect the caster and their true love! He felt his cheeks redden, "It's, um, possible… that the spell affected me, too. There's no other explanation since I tried finding the answers about why I was staying young the way I did."

"Sunburst… I'm so sorry…"

"For what?"

"For making you like this… I didn't think I… had a true love…" Her cheeks went pink from mentioning it. "I didn't want you to be immortal because of my stupid mistakes. I was angry and lonely when I cast the spell. I didn't think it would affect anypony else, I swear!"

"It's okay. You didn't know."

She gave a small smile as she stared at him. He became so handsome. Then she frowned, "Not that it matters now… I doubt not even you could love me after what I had done…"

"Done? What did you do?"

She winced and quickly said, "I may have kidnapped a baby princess because her father stole my phoenix, and so as payback, I took her. I kept her locked away from the world for most of her life all because of my own insecurities, but when she managed to leave without me knowing, she found her siblings and managed to get their help to free her and my servants from me. They locked me away just as I had locked her away and now, I'm on the path of redemption thanks to Radiant Hope for healing me by understanding what I had done wrong. Sunset forgave me and now we're on good terms. I wouldn't be here now if it wasn't for her."

Sunburst was stunned for a moment and then spoke, "You… kidnapped a princess…?"

She lowered her head in shame.

"And… she forgave you?"

"I know… I don't deserve it, but she did. I am so thankful she was willing to give me a second chance… because, if I'm being honest, she is like the daughter I never had. I wish I could have treated her better…"

"Where is she now?"

"At the Crystal Palace. I agreed to meet her there once I was done meeting with you, which I'm sure at this point we are…" She started taking her leave.

"Starlight, wait!"

She stopped and stared back in bewilderment as he approached and took her hoof.

"Are you truly sorry for what you did?"

"Yes… Not a day goes by that I regret my mistakes."

He gave a small smile, "How about I accompany you to the palace?"

She gaped, "You… you would do that?"

"Of course, and I would like to meet the princess who was like a daughter to you."

She ended up smiling.


After introductions were made, Sunset, Sunburst, Starlight, and Cadence all sat at a table while the crystal ponies were serving them.

Sunset told Sunburst, "Once I read her diaries, I finally understood Starlight better. Without your friendship and with her great-uncle Star Swirl acting cold towards her, I see how she could have grown up the way she did. As much as I wish she could have been nurturing to me, she was the only mother I ever knew."

Sunburst faced his old friend, "Starlight… I'm so sorry…"

"It's not your fault. I didn't know where you were and all Uncle Star Swirl cared about was how I did with my studies. I vowed I would never be like him except… I broke that promise the moment I raised Sunset. I was so set on revenge that I didn't see her needs before my own. And over time, I saw that she was a lot like you and that added to the pain of losing you all over again."

"Really?" he looked at the princess.

Sunset giggled and nodded.

Starlight smiled, "It's true. I found it rather unsettling how she had the same coloring, ambition, power, and smarts as you. Even your names are similar! It was almost as if fate was conspiring against me, bringing up reminders of my past to haunt me."

Sunset said, "She's right. When I read the diaries and found those comparisons, it was eerie."

Sunburst remarked, "Yes, I can see it now. If Starlight and I had gotten together beforehand, you might as well have been our daughter."

Starlight and Sunset gaped.

Starlight uttered in near tears, "Do you… do you really mean that?"

"I do." he grinned. "After knowing the whole story now and finally having the answer about why I was staying young for so long, I would like to see if we can pick up where we left off…"

Starlight gasped and covered her mouth. She released a few tears as she faced a smiling Sunset and Cadence.

He kept speaking, "We have a lot of catching up to do, but if the spell is right, I believe we can find the love we've been missing for so long." He stared at her lovingly.

"Yes! Yes, you're right!" she was beaming at what she was hearing. For so long, she had been hurt, but now with redemption and love by her side, she could finally see a future with a happily-ever-after.

Once Starlight and Sunburst took a moonlight stroll around the Empire, Sunset faced her cousin.

"You knew all along this was going to happen once you realized the Spell of Eternal Youth connected the two of them."

"Did I?" Then she smirked, "Yes. Yes, I did."