• Published 13th Feb 2016
  • 2,609 Views, 203 Comments

The Royal Canterlot Family - CartoonNerd12



A series of oneshots that is tied to my fairy-tales of MLP.

  • ...
3
 203
 2,609

The Butler

Gemstone looked to her mother and asked, "What about you, Mommy? How did you and Daddy meet?"

Rarity started blushing red, "Oh, my… that was quite a while ago…"

Her sisters smirked as Rainbow said, "And I bet you remember every single detail about that first meeting."

Rarity held her head up, "Indeed I do! What kind of mare would I be if I forgot how my husband and I first met?! Outrageous!" She faced her children and started telling the story, "You see darlings, our previous butler retired and so a replacement was called out. Your father heard about the job and was graciously hired…"

Another flashback to the past happened, but this time, the princesses were more grown-up. They headed to the dining hall for breakfast and sat in their usual spots as they greeted their mother.

Celestia greeted her daughters in return and said, "Girls, as you know, our head butler, Serving Tray, has retired, but in his place, we have a new stallion in the castle who will fulfill his duties. I welcome Mister Fancy Pants."

On cue, a white unicorn stallion with build and bright blue eyes walked in the room. Rarity was in awe to this handsome stallion, and in turn, Fancy Pants noticed he was being watched by one the eldest princesses. He kept a straight face as he made it to the head of the table, but deep down he couldn't help but admire the princess's radiant beauty. All of the princesses were just as beautiful, but to him, this princess outshone them.

He bowed and spoke directly to the queen, "Thank you for that wonderful introduction, Your Highness. And may I say what an honor it is to serve you and your lovely daughters, the princesses."

That caused Rarity to blush.

Celestia acknowledge the compliment, "It is we who should be thanking you. You are taking on a challenge to keep the castle running, but given your skills from what I heard, you shall do it miraculously."

Fancy bowed his head, "You're too kind, Your Majesty. Now I believe I should get to work and start asking what you and the princesses would like to have for breakfast."

Celestia nodded, "Of course. I believe the girls and I would like to have pancakes. Is that alright with you, my darlings?"

Fluttershy said, "Oh, yes, that'll be fine."

Applejack mentioned, "Shoot, I could go for anything so long as I got something in my stomach."

Rainbow gestured, "As long as I get extra blueberries on mine, I'm good."

Pinkie pointed, "Ooh! Extra butter and whipped cream with raspberry syrup on mine!"

Twilight said, "Pancakes would be great."

Celestia looked at the daughter who didn't answer, "And what about you, darling Rarity?"

Rarity, however, wasn't paying attention. She was looking at the stallion who was close to her, and from this angle, he was even more handsome.

"Rarity?" Fluttershy called to her.

It wasn't until Applejack nudged her that the unicorn snapped out of it and realized what was going on. "What? Oh, yes, pancakes… that will be…" She noticed Fancy was staring at her, "…delicious…"

Fancy nodded his head, "As you wish, Your Highnesses. I shall be back with the meal in precisely fifteen minutes." He bowed once more before he left.

"Man, he's as stiff as a board!" exclaimed Rainbow.

"At least Serving liked to let loose!" said Pinkie.

Rarity scowled, "If you ask me, he was a proper gentlecolt! He is doing what his job is requiring him to do!"

"That is very true, Rarity." Celestia nodded and then said, "It is his first day on the job. I'm sure he wanted to make a good first impression, so we'll see in time if he'll be less formal."

True to Fancy's word, he came back with servants carrying trays with pancakes and Pinkie and Rainbow were impressed to see the things they wanted on their pancakes. Fancy carried a tray with his aura and set it down in front of Rarity.

She smiled and whispered to him, "Thank you…"

He returned the smile, "You're welcome, Your Highness."

It was like that every day since. Fancy would always be the one serving Princess Rarity while she whispered compliments and gave her gratitude. Whenever he served her, he always listened intently so he didn't miss a single order she gave out. Of the princesses who requested something of him, it was always Rarity's voice he loved hearing. And whenever her and her sister Pinkie entertained the gentry of Canterlot, he notice how poised and graceful she was, charming those around her. It was a quality he admired about her.

Rarity, in turn, noticed how Fancy would do his job well as he served those around him. He was full of pride as he didn't care a wit about his position. Others may have seen him as nothing more than a servant pony, but not her. She was sure if he had a higher standing, he could blow all those posh ponies away with all his mannerism and class.

One day, Rarity was in a room where the maids kept extra fabrics to make dresses or to fix something up. She was looking over the choices of swabs and said out loud, "No, that's not right… Neither is this one… Green? No, no, no, that's an awful color…"

Fancy was close by as he was carrying a tray when he heard Rarity's voice. He stopped and found the room she was in. He peeked in, seeing she was magically looking over fabrics.

"Ugh! There's nothing in here that's good!" she sighed.

"Having trouble, Your Highness?" he came in.

"Oh! Fancy, I didn't see you there."

"Forgive me, I didn't mean to intrude."

"Not at all! I was just trying to find the right accents for a dress I'm making."

He furrowed his brow, "You make dresses?"

"I do. I have my own workshop so I can work on my own creations."

"You mean to say that you make your own dresses?" He was astounded to hear that, "And the dresses you wear every day are the ones you made?"

She beamed proudly, "They are."

"That is extraordinary!"

She blushed feeling flattered, "Why… thank you." Then she asked, "Are there any pastimes that you do?"

"Well, I do love a good game of chess every once and awhile."

"Chess? How splendid! My Aunt Luna taught my sisters and I how play. Perhaps we could go a few rounds some time?" She batted her eyelashes.

Fancy felt himself blushing and sputtered out, "Well, I would, but don't you think it would be socially inappropriate?"

"Of course not! I'm rather curious about how well you are in the game."

He smiled, "I don't mean to boast, but I think I do alright. In fact, playing chess shows off my best skills."

She headed for the door and batted her eyelashes again, "Well then, come by my suite at 7 o'clock sharp tonight. I look forward to our game." She left before he had a chance to protest.

Moments later, Rarity was in the garden with her sister, Fluttershy. As the two were the oldest princesses, they were as close as can be. While Fluttershy tended to her animals, Rarity was plucking on a daisy, saying.

"He likes me… He likes me not… He likes me… He likes me not…" Then she picked the last petal. "He likes me!" she squealed.

"Who likes you?" Fluttershy asked.

"Oh, some pony…" she giggled.

"Is it someone I know?"

"Maybe…" Rarity acted secretly. As much as she wanted to tell her sister about her crush, she was afraid of how she might react to it since he was Head Butler and they were princesses. "All I can tell you is that I believe he is the one for me!"

"How you know that?"

"Well, he strides into the room, a light glows from him, I hear music, he's yet to bring me flowers and sweep me off my hooves, but I'll know when he's the one when he makes me laugh…" she sighed lovingly.

Fluttershy smiled, "That sounds wonderful…" She sighed, wondering if the same thing will happen to her.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Rarity had the chess set all ready as she waited for the stallion that would be joining her. She checked her clock that was on her stand. It was almost time. Then, just as the big hand touched the twelve and the little hand on the seven, there was a knock and Fancy came in panting.

"Did… did I make it?"

"Right on the dot! But goodness, Fancy, what happened to you?" She noticed a couple of smudge spots on his face. She magically grabbed for one of her lace handkerchiefs and helped wiped the spot off.

He sighed in relief, "Much obliged, Your Highness."

"Oh, hush. We are in the privacy of my own suite, so you may call me Rarity."

His eyes widened, "Well… um… if that's what you wish… Then… Rarity, it gives me great me pleasure to use your lovely name…" His eyes softened at her.

She touched her heart in awe.

"And to explain why I was so close to being tardy for our game, there was a debacle in the kitchens. I had to straighten it out."

She fondly sighed, "What would we do without you, Fancy…?"

"You're too kind, Rarity…" he smiled at her.

She started staring at him lovingly before she remembered what he was here for. She cleared her throat and gestured to the table, "Please, have a seat."

"No, allow me," he gestured for her to have a seat first, causing her to feel more flattered as he pushed her in.

"Thank you."

"You're quite welcome," he took his spot across from her.

Rarity was on the side where the white pieces were and his were the black pieces. Because white always went first, Rarity made the first move and Fancy made his move after. The two played into the game, each deep in concentration. Most of their pieces got captured, so it was hard to say who would win in the end. But eventually, Fancy had captured Rarity's king. Of course, he was frightened that she would be upset for losing, but she surprised him when she said.

"Well done!"

"You're… not upset?"

"Why should I be? You said so yourself that you show your best skills in chess, and I'm pleased to see that was true… However, I would like to have a rematch to see if I can beat you…" she batted her eyelashes.

Fancy then let out a hearty laugh.

She smiled as she said, "From now on, you're to come into this room so I can finally beat you in a game of chess!"

He saluted, "It shall be done… Rarity…"

They headed for the door and Fancy turned to her, "Oh, I almost forgot. In my haste to get over here, I was supposed to bring over a bouquet of flowers for your gracious hosting, but I'll have to settle for this…" He magically lifted the single rose from his suit and presented it to her.

She gasped and took it with her aura, whispering, "Thank you… It's wonderful…"

"I just hope it makes up for having you to lose. It's a shame because I really thought you had me there!"

She suddenly let out a laugh, "Oh, you're so sweet."

He smiled and bowed his head and then he took her hoof, "Seven o-clock tomorrow night, I presume?"

"Of course."

He kissed her hoof, making her blush, and he headed out the door, saying, "Until then… Rarity…" Just like that, he was gone, leaving a lovesick princess squealing giddily on her bed.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

It was once more the present, as Gemstone and her aunts listened intently to her mother's story and she let out a romantic sigh.

Rarity pointed out, "Eventually, I did beat him, once. But that didn't stop us from seeing each other. No, we had so much fun and enjoyed each other's company so well, we couldn't help it."

Her sisters smirked at this.

"It wasn't until the suitor situation happened is when we had problems, but as you know, we overcame it and are together because of that."

Her sisters did random agreements.