• Published 13th Feb 2016
  • 2,607 Views, 203 Comments

The Royal Canterlot Family - CartoonNerd12



A series of oneshots that is tied to my fairy-tales of MLP.

  • ...
3
 203
 2,607

This Is My Idea

The trio was excited as they and their husbands gathered in the throne room, where they had just received a message from two old friends.

Apple Bloom beamed, "I can't believe Babs is coming back!"

Scootaloo smiled, "I know! It's been forever since we last saw her!"

Button pointed, "Or Featherweight!" Then he put on a serious face, "But as much I wish this was a social visit, this will actually be an important diplomatic mission involving our kingdoms."

Sweetie nodded, "So everything has to be perfect."

Rumble tilted his head in confusion, "But why? You know Babs and Featherweight aren't going to care."

King Button mentioned, "But there are certain rules to follow in order for both parties to be satisfied on the treaty."

Pip commented, "It is strange that you're worried about not getting the treaty signed when you know it's going to be signed anyway."

"Maybe he's right, honey. Maybe we are making too big deal out of this." said Sweetie. "Featherweight is, after all, your oldest friend and Babs was the girls' and my friend during the contest."

"But they are bringing a personal advisor of Babs' parents along with them! And according to Babs, he's the stuffiest they come!"

Sweetie's eyes widened, "Let me repeat my first statement: Everything must be perfect."

"We see your point." said Scootaloo. "Don't worry, you can count on us."

Apple Bloom gestured, "Now the next thing to do is prepare the kids."


The children were in the parlor cheering on for their court magician, who was doing small magic tricks to keep them entertained.

"Thank you, thank you! Now, the great and powerful Trixie shall perform her most daring trick ever!" She had a vanishing cabinet appear before her. "Trixie shall make herself vanish before your very eyes!"

"Ooh!" they said.

Trixie got in the box, "Now you see her…" She closed the door. In a puff of smoke, the door opened again, but no one was in it!

The kids cheered like crazy.

A voice filled the room, "And now Trixie will reappear!" Trixie said behind some curtains in the room and threw another smoke bomb where she reappeared in the cabinet. When she opened the door, she shouted out, "Ta-da!"

The kids clapped and laughed.

Roller Blade said, "We knew you faked the whole thing, Trixie."

Skater pointed, "Yeah, we saw you behind the curtains."

LB said nicely, "But it's great just pretending you disappeared for a moment."

"Man, you can't fool kids these days!" Trixie motioned.

Snow Pea giggled, "Don't take it too bad, Trixie. When you live in a world of magic, you have no need to fake it, but in your case, it works."

"Trixie does not know if she should be insulted or not."

The kids laughed again as they hugged their favorite court magician.

Apple Bloom walked into the room then, "There you are! We've been looking for you kids everywhere!"

Apple Butter told her mom, "We were just watching Trixie do her magic tricks."

The unicorn proudly said, "Trixie is, after all, the best at entertaining the royal children."

AB rolled her eyes playfully, "You certainly are, Trixie, but I need to bring the kids to the throne room for an important announcement."

"About what, Aunt Apple Bloom?" LB asked.

"You'll find out once we get to the throne room. Now scoot!"

The kids scampered on.


Shortly after receiving the news, the kids started walking up the stairs as they talked among themselves.

"I never met Princess Babs or the court jester that used to work here." said Skater.

LB pointed to the twins, "But you two are the oldest of us!"

Roller said, "We're not that old, genius."

Snow Pea gestured, "They are only a year older than me, LB."

"So? Everyone looks old to me."

"Only that's because you're the youngest." said Apple Butter.

Snow motioned, "The point is the court jester used to be our dad's best friend while our moms knew the princess during the tests they had to do to win our daddy's hoof."

"What about the rest of him?" Roller asked.

LB said, "I guess the rest of him too, or maybe… For every test they had to pass, they got a new part, and if they passed all the tests, they got to put him together!" she put on a cheesy grin.

They looked at her as if she was crazy.

Skater commented, "You got a weird mind, cuz."


Days later, "Two more hours and we'll be in Marendelle!" Featherweight said excitedly, but he looked back to see his daughters were not as excited as him. When one of them smacked a bubble, he chastised, "Bubble Gum, you know it's not polite to blow your bubbles so loudly."

"Dad, you know I go by BG now."

He sighed and turned to his wife, who was helping their son lean over the ship's rail as he got bouts of seasickness.

"I thought it wasn't until you reached your teens is when you use a nickname."

Babs commented, "They're rebelling at an earlier age these days." Then she heard her son vomiting again and gently patted his back.

As delicate as Quill Scarlet was, they also knew he was a fighter ever since he was born.

It was rare for a pony to give birth to triplets, but Babs managed to do it. Barberry was first to be born, followed by Bubble Gum. But when Quill was last, he was so small they were afraid he wasn't going to make it. But as the days followed, he kept getting stronger, although he was still fairly small compared to his sisters. He took after his dad, but had his mom's mane color and her green eyes. The girls took after their mom, but had their dad's eyes and mane color. They also had different haircuts that their mom gave them so it would be easier to tell them apart.

A stuffy voice said, "For two days, we have been at sea, and the young prince is suffering greatly because of it!"

Featherweight faced the pony that spoke. The latter was a pompous pony wearing a wig and shades.

Hoity-Toity spoke again, "The royal family of Marendelle had better come up with excellent accommodations and a suitable treaty to comprehend for the prince's frail health!"

Featherweight frowned and addressed Hoity, "I assure you, sir, I grew up on Marendelle and in the castle with the royal family. You'll be pleased to know that the royal family always treats its guests, royalty or otherwise, that comes before them well."

Babs smirked at her husband, feeling proud of him for standing up to the snobby advisor.

"Well, I should certainly hope so." Hoity went back to his cabin.

Barberry went up her mother, "Mom, did he," she pointed toward the cabin, "have to come with us?"

Babs sighed, "Your grandparents insisted on it. With your aunt coming close to take up the crown, it'll be up to me to make new alliances. That's what they were hoping to accomplish with me taking the tests in hopes of marrying Prince Button Mash. But in the end, I couldn't stand in the way of a mare who was so much in love with him."

Her husband raised his brow, "I thought it was because you fell in love with me?"

She smirked and kissed his cheek, "That, too. It was both."

Quill managed to look up and smile before he felt sick again and gagged over the rail.

BG mentioned, "Maybe we should have stayed home."

Featherweight said, "But then you couldn't meet my old friend and he's got girls about your age."

Babs said, "And Apple Bloom and Scootaloo have kids, too. You'll have lots of fun with them and become good friends."

The girls exchanged unsure looks.


Apple Bloom shouted, "They're here! They're here!" She could see the ship in the distance coming closer and about to dock in the harbor very soon.

Button gave out commands to the servants, "Places, everypony! And let's give our guests a great big Marendelle welcome!"

Sweetie stood on the sidelines with her daughters and her sisters with their families as they watched the ship dock.

When the plank went down, and Button spotted a familiar pony as he raced down, "Featherweight!" The two friends gave each other a hug and patted each other's backs. "It's so good to see you!"

"Likewise! It's been so long since we last saw each other!" He looked up and saw Babs slowly going down, helping Quill along the way. He went to help as he told his son, "Just take it easy, son. We got you."

"Is this Quill?" Button questioned.

Quill gave a timid nod.

Babs told Button, "He's very shy around ponies and he had a rough time getting over here."

Featherweight explained, "The sea was really turning out there. Poor guy kept getting seasick."

Snowy exclaimed, "The poor thing!"

Quill turned to where that sweet voice came from and gaped at the sight. She was such a pretty filly.

Button pointed to his family, "How rude of me. You know Sweetie, Apple Bloom, Scootaloo, Rumble, and Pip, but you've yet to meet our children." He gestured for his daughters to come forth. "My daughters, Snow Pea and Little Button."

Babs signaled back to the ship and two fillies came down, "And these are our daughters, Barberry and Bubble Gum."

One look at Barberry and Roller was lost in a daze, which his twin sister noticed right away.

LB went to Quill and held out her hoof, "Hi! Nice to meet you!

Quill slowly shook back.

"You don't say much, do you?"

Button forcibly coughed, "LB!"

Babs just smiled, "It's okay. Quill just needs time to get to know you."

Snow made a bow, "Welcome to Marendelle, Quill. I hope you enjoy your stay. I'm sorry the sea was so terrible to you."

Quill just blushed and made a small bow in respect.

BG whispered to Barberry, "Check out Romeo over there…"

Barberry whispered back, "Well, good. Our brother needs a girl who's good to him."

BG then eyed Roller, who was making goo-goo eyes at her sister, "And it looks like you got an admirer yourself." She subtly pointed to the colt.

Barberry carefully looked at him, "Ugh, really?"


Skater whispered to her brother, "Really?"

"What?"

"Dude, she's not interested. Also, you don't have a chance with her."

"How do you know that? I bet if I go up to her right now and introduce myself, she'll be putty in my hooves!"

"It's your funeral…"

"Ha, ha, very funny." He walked on and licked his hoof to smooth out his messy hair.

Barberry uttered to her sister, "Oh no. He's coming over here…"

He said in a smooth voice, "Hey there. Name's Roller Blade. What's yours?"

"Uh, did you not hear? It's Barberry."

His confidence slightly deflated and quickly said, "Right! I meant to say that by asking your name, we can get to know each other on a more… personal level…?" He flashed a cheesy grin.

"Yeah, right." She moved past him and BG nudged his shoulder.

"Ow!" he rubbed his shoulder and went back to his sister, who was on the urge of laughing out loud until he glared at her, "Don't. You. Dare."

Suddenly, a shout came from the ship, "Why didn't someone tell me we've docked into Marendelle harbor?!" Hoity-Toity came rushing down the plank and bowed before Button. "Your Majesty, I am Hoity-Toity, prime advisor of the King and Queen of Strapgart! I will be assisting Princess Babs Seed and her husband in the treaty negotiations. But first, I trust everything is prepared for our arrival?" He lowered his shades.

Button gestured, "It is, Sir Hoity-Toity…" He glanced at his friends, who had weary expressions on their faces the moment Hoity started talking. "My servants shall escort you and the royal family of Strapgart to your rooms, where you shall be greatly accommodated."

"I should say so."

He signaled for the servants to lead them on.


The royal Marendelle family all gathered in the throne room shortly after returning to the castle and making sure their guests were comfortable.

Button told his wife and in-laws, "It's certainly not going to be easy with Sir Hoity-Toity around making sure everything is in order for the treaty."

"It certainly cuts in on our visit with Babs and Featherweight." said Sweetie.

"At least the kids can hang out with each other." said Scootaloo. "Rumble and I noticed that Roller took a liking toward Barberry on the docks."

Sweetie giggled, "And I think Quill may have gained a crush on Snow Pea."

Button mentioned, "Well, that's certainly going to surprise my dad and Featherweight's mom."

Apple Bloom said, "No kidding. It took their grandchildren just to get together."

"Well, we cannot say that for sure. After all, they are still young and they live in two different kingdoms, so it's hard to make a relationship out of that."

Sweetie let out an excited gasp.

Scootaloo asked, "What is it, Sweetie Belle?"

"I have an idea! How about we ask Featherweight and Babs to come every summer with Quill and the girls, and we leave the kids alone so they get to know each other. Then maybe… they will fall in love!"

Apple Bloom smiled, "Hey! That is a great idea!"

Button cringed, "Just to be clear, we're not forcing our daughter into an arranged marriage, right?"

"No, no," Sweetie shook her head. "We're merely giving her and Quill a chance to know each other. Whether or not they fall in love is up to them. If they just want to be friends, that's good, too. After all, we need allies in any way we can. But we will not let them go through arranged marriages…unless marriage is something the two lovers want."


"An arranged marriage?! Are you insane?!" Babs yelled at Hoity-Toity in her and Featherweight's suite, which happened to be Featherweight's old room.

Hoity-Toity replied, "Well, you were supposed to marry Prince Button Mash in the first place."

"If I had passed all those tests! There was no guarantee I would have married him regardless!"

"Perhaps not, but it was a disgrace that you had to marry his court jester."

"Don't you dare talk like I'm not in the room!" FW scowled. "I was well aware that my arrival in Strapgart wouldn't be welcomed, but in the end, the king and queen gave their blessings."

Hoity humphed, "Had they listened to me more carefully, they would have thought twice about that… The only reason you were able to marry Princess Babs is because their highnesses found you to be amusing and that you had connections to Marendelle's royal family, so the marriage wasn't a totally waste."

Featherweight made a humph sound.

Babs scowled at the advisor, "Need I remind you, Hoity-Toity, you're here to serve us. If I hear one more cutting remark about my husband and our marriage as a whole, I would not hesitate to write to my parents asking for permission to fire you at this moment."

Hoity was taken aback by this, "You wouldn't!"

"I could. One letter sent and your career would be over."

"Let's not get hasty! Instead, let's discuss the treaty terms. As I was saying, we need an arranged marriage between Prince Quill Scarlet and Princess Snow Pea."

"And again, I say, 'Are you insane?!' I will not have my son be forced onto someone he doesn't love!"

"And I must agree. My best friend was almost forced to marry some pony he couldn't love. To do that to my son is… is…" He tried to find the right word.

Hoity stated, "We will discuss it with their highnesses and see what they say."

Babs whispered to her husband, "Except we know what they're going to say."


"An arranged marriage?!" both Button and Sweetie said in the study as they met with Hoity, Babs, and Featherweight the next day.

Hoity spoke, "Indeed. Our kingdom is fairly small and we are quite vulnerable to invaders, but if we have a powerful ally through marriage, then we have no reason to fear about outsiders hurting us!"

Babs pointed out, "But I told Hoity that you would not go for this idea and Featherweight and I certainly don't agree to it, so what are your thoughts of how the treaty should go?"

Button and Sweetie exchanged a look before Button spoke, "Actually, we've been talking yesterday of how well Snowy and Quill seem to get along…"

Both Babs and Featherweight were shocked to hear this, but relief came over them the moment Button said.

"But we could never force them to get married. Instead, my wife and I would like to offer a proposal. Not a marriage proposal, mind you, but an idea that could help strengthen our kingdoms' ties and for the possibility of our children falling in love so they may marry of their own free will."

Featherweight said, "I see what you're doing. We give them a chance to know and fall in love with each other."

Babs took over, "And if they don't want to, then our kids will just remain friends and the treaty will stay intact."

Hoity slowly said, "Well… if that's the best we can do…"

Featherweight gestured, "Relax, Hoity. Chances are they will fall in love and you'll get that marriage."

"Perhaps… I like things that are a bit more set, but as long as the treaty holds, then that's all that matters."

"Excellent! We can form the paper and sign it right now!" smiled Button.

In moments, it was done and the royals signed it. They were about to celebrate over cocktails when a huge crash came from outside the room and a shout followed.

"It's your fault!"

"No, it's your fault!"

The adults quickly opened the door to find Roller Blade and Barberry over a broken vase.

Roller yelled, "Well, I'm not the one who pushed me into the table!"

"Only because you were chasing me around!"

"We were playing tag!"

"By coming out of nowhere and tapping my shoulder?! You got a weird way of playing tag!" She huffed, "Well, thankfully, we won't be here long and I won't have see your face again!"

"That makes us even! I can't wait for you to leave so I never have to see you again!"

Babs cringed as she came up to them, "About that… we have to come here every summer from now on."

The two kids glanced at each other with worry and both shouted out, "NOOOOO!" It was heard all the way to Canterlot.