• Published 13th Feb 2016
  • 2,639 Views, 203 Comments

The Royal Canterlot Family - CartoonNerd12



A series of oneshots that is tied to my fairy-tales of MLP.

  • ...
3
 203
 2,639

Lovers Timeline

Author's Note:

I was inspired by an artist on DeviantArt named grodansnagel who made something called "Lovers Tales" involving Beauty and the Beast, The Little Mermaid, Hercules, The Swan Princess, and Anastasia. It was kind of about the different steps that the lovers endured while falling in love and I thought it would make an interesting oneshot with the kids doing something like this for their parents. Happy Hearts and Hooves Day!

The anniversary of their parents' wedding was fast approaching and the Canterlot cousins had no clue what to do for it. Gemstone and Cotton were able to visit for the special occasion as it was such a huge deal for their entire family, given it was the celebration of when their mothers were able to wed their true loves.
Cotton suggested at the table that was in the castle library, "How about a party?!"
Starling shook her head and the rest followed, "No, they've already had several parties in the past. This year, they deserve something extra special."
Fire Spark nodded, "Agreed. Given how we were in that alternate timeline, we know firsthoof how life-changing their wedding was."
Whirl motioned, "You said it, cuz!"
Dignity pointed, "I quite agree."
Screwy was pondering as she voiced out, "We need to do something that will really impress them as well as give them a reminder of all that they have gained since falling in love."
Apple Jewel added, "No kidding. My parents didn't fall in love right away, but they had a connection from the moment my dad hatched from his egg."
"Same goes for my parents," said Cotton. "Daddy was so impressed by Mom's party-planning skills, it resulted with him getting his cutie mark and moving to Canterlot to run the joke shop where they first met face-to-face before having that goof-off and-"
Whirl put a hoof over her mouth, "Yes, we already know that story. Our moms told us about how they met our dads."
Screwy sighed, "Too bad there can't be a shortened version of how each of our parents fell in love."
Gemstone suddenly gasped, "What if there was?! We can make a list of steps our parents took to fall in love!"
Their eyes were wide with surprise before grinning. Dignity suggested, "Not only that, but we should have pictures to go with the steps!"
They chattered in agreement and excitement.
In no time, the mares and stallions were hard at work, with the siblings teaming up. They each had a long line of horizontal paper with markers and color pencils to go with the photos some of them found.


On the day of the anniversary, the parents had been wondering what the kids had been up to for the last few days. But their answer soon came when they walked into the throne room and all of them – with the siblings in pairs – holding furled-up papers in their mouths and set them down before their parents.
Applejack asked, "What's all this?"
Jewel replied, "It's our anniversary present to you guys." She unwrapped her paper showing her parents.
Spike and AJ gaped when they saw pictures of them, each paired with a word beside the picture.
Spike saw the first picture was of him hatching from his egg with a filly Applejack looking on with happiness and above was the word "Hatch". Then the next picture was of them being older, with Spike in his short dragon form and looking away while Applejack was right next to him and looking at him with a slight frown. The word that belonged to that picture was "Unrequited". Then, the next one had them resting under an apple tree with the word "Falling". The next picture had them wearing formal wear and looking like they were about to kiss with the word "Almost" on top. The next one was sadder as it showed Applejack in tears while holding a battered Spike in her arms with the word "Sacrifice" above. Finally, it showed them getting married with the word "Love".
The couple gaped at their daughter who just smiled.
The others looked at the creation and saw the smirks on their kids, telling them they got the same thing for them.
Starling asked her cousins, "Who wants to go next?"
Cotton waved her hoof, "Me! Me!" She jumped to her parents and unrolled the paper, causing confetti to sprinkle out.
Pinkie and Cheese looked at their daughter's creation and it seemed like Apple Jewel's, but with doodles here and there.
The first picture was of a young Cheese looking at a partying young Pinkie with the word "Chance" etched next to it. The next picture showed Pinkie and Cheese glaring at each other with the word "Dislike". But the next picture showed them being friendly while shaking hooves with the word "Like" above it. The next had Cheese presenting Boneless to a sad Pinkie Pie with the word "Hope". The next one was them being super happy with the word "Falling". Then, it showed them wearing evening wear and dancing as the word stated "Love". Then, the next was of them being forlorn and looking in opposite directions with the word "Missing". Finally, the last one was of them in their wedding garb with it saying "Forever".
The party couple had tears in their eyes and quickly hugged their daughter.
Screwball went to her parents, "Looks like I'm next." She unwrapped it and Discord and Fluttershy looked at their lovers' timeline. The first picture was of Fluttershy looking up at Discord's statue with the word "Statue" right below it. The next was of them eyeing each other strangely with the word "Uncertainty" next to it. The next one was of them having fun with the word "Bond" right by the picture. Fluttershy held Discord's paw in the next column with her looking guilty and him surprised. The word that accompanied it was "Trust". The next picture was much happier with them enjoying each other's company with the title "Friendship" at the bottom. Then, the next was of them dancing in formal get-up and in each other's arms with the word "Love". Then, the next was of them being upset as they looked away from each other and looked up with the word "Separation" underneath. But the last one had them dressed up in their wedding clothes with the word "Eternal" next to them.
Fluttershy covered her mouth in shock while Discord gaped at Screwball, who just let out a cheesy smile and asked, "Do you like it?"
Fluttershy nearly cried out in joy, "It's perfect!"
"Very impressive, kiddo!" Discord smiled and ruffled his daughter's mane.
Dignity motioned, "I do believe we're next, sister dear." They went up to their parents and they opened up the paper.
Rarity and Fancy looked at their timeline with intrigue, seeing the first word was "Meet" with Fancy serving Rarity a silver platter. The next word was "Socialize" with Rarity and Fancy playing a chess game. The word after that was "Falling" as the picture showed the two of them giving loving glances at a distance. Then, it showed them looking upset with the word "Duty" above them. But then it showed them all dressed up with the word "Love" right on top. Then, it showed them being sad while looking away with the word "Distance". But then it showed them getting married with the word "Lavish".
Rarity touched her heart in awe and embraced her children.
Starling and Fire smiled as they turned to their parents, presenting them with their timeline. Twilight and Flash looked on, seeing the word "Bump" with them colliding into each other. Then, the next one was "Secret" as they faced each other with Twilight making a shushing gesture. Then came "Truth" with Twilight looking ashamed and Flash looking surprised. Then next was "Falling" as they were dressed up and Flash held her up in the air as they exchanged loving glances. Then came "Searching" with the both of them looking away and being determined. The next picture showed them having true love's kiss with Twilight's wings beginning to magically sprout out with the word "Love". Finally, it showed their wedding with them holding hooves and the word "Vow" right above them.
Flash exclaimed, "This is incredible!"
Twilight beamed, "One of the best presents we have ever received!"
Rainbow pointed, "Hey! I still need to see mine!"
Whirl chuckled, "You're in luck." He unrolled the paper and his parents glanced at it.
The first column showed a younger Rainbow and Soarin' with him carrying a water bucket and she was looking at him with intrigue with the word "Youth". Next was of them being older with her wearing a coach hat and whistle and watching him flying fast with the word "Speed". The next picture was of them sitting on a cloud together with the word "Dream". Next was of them looking upset with the word "Hesitation". Then, it showed them talking with the word "Confession". Then, it showed them in their formal wear kissing with the word "Love". Then the next one was of them looking away in anguish with the word "Yearning". Then the last one was a happy picture of them getting married with the word "Everlasting".
They looked to their son with a smirk, both moving into a hug and every parent followed suit.
Twilight used her magic to lift the timelines and set them up on a nearby wall. The parents looked at each timeline, thinking how far they had come since their fateful meetings, meetings that would not have happened if a certain tornado had not happened. Their children knew firsthoof of how important that tornado was and it was because of them their parents were still here with the ones they loved. The families got into a group hug, knowing what a wonderful life they all had and hoping it would never be altered again.