• Published 22nd Jan 2016
  • 6,446 Views, 1,037 Comments

Aporia - Oliver



Once upon a time, if the term even applies, two young ladies decided to visit an Equestria, selected seemingly at random. Which would be nothing special, despite their attitudes towards ponies being so different, if one hadn't mentioned sandwiches...

  • ...
18
 1,037
 6,446

PreviousChapters Next
Conversation -128 ~ Brilliant Star

A faint smile. A sharp gaze of the deep green eyes, reflecting things that aren’t here. Everything else is a bit of a blur in the harsh glow of 650 nanometer red light. Thoughts bouncing off the walls as if they were sound. A very real sound of footsteps in the darkness and silence.

Thoughts about people.

There is nothing in the universe, except people.

Pick anything that is not a person, anything at all, pull on the chain, and a person will emerge on the other end. Anything that is done, anything that is known, anything that is said, anything that is learned, everything is either by people, for people, or both at once. Even when studying the furthest reaches of the Universe or the depths of the atom, or the most complicated mathematical construct, it is done to satisfy the curiosity of people, to solicit approval from people, to improve the lives of people. People are on the other end of the chain, always and forever. Nothing of matter is ever of interest, until it can feed people, make things for people, endanger people, answer the questions of people — and what is not part of the known world, cannot be believed to exist. What the universe is, is derived from people, and only people can be said to exist.

There is nothing else.

There is nothing in the universe, except words.

People cannot be known directly, for if one could say that they know everything at all about a person, they would be that person. There would be no other person to know. Everything that originates with people is, in fact, words — of languages spoken and unspoken, written and unwritten, symbolic and factual, drawn on paper and drawn out of a heart, something communicated to others to notify them of your own existence. Words are the only thing ever seen in this universe, are the only thing people can know each other by, so only the words of people can be said to exist.

There is nothing else.

There is nothing in the universe, except time.

Time is that which prevents things from happening simultaneously, that which allows the arrangement of a set of symbols into a sequence. Without a sequence, any and all words would be nothing but noise, obscuring the meaning of each other. Without splitting anything into the minimal units of meaning and ascertaining their relationship, nothing can ever be studied and nothing can be seen — and any given arrangement of units is equivalent to a sequence. And thus, sequences are the only true content of the universe.

There is nothing else.

Therefore, the universe is a story — a sequence of words originating with people. A story about people, told through words, across time.

About five quintillion stories. Stories that have been written. Stories that haven’t. Stories that have been read, stories that have been told, stories that have only been imagined.

There’s just one thing I would like to know.

Do I still count as people?

Do you?

PreviousChapters Next