• Published 22nd Jan 2016
  • 6,446 Views, 1,037 Comments

Aporia - Oliver



Once upon a time, if the term even applies, two young ladies decided to visit an Equestria, selected seemingly at random. Which would be nothing special, despite their attitudes towards ponies being so different, if one hadn't mentioned sandwiches...

  • ...
18
 1,037
 6,446

PreviousChapters Next
Conversation 32: Mary

The night air was thick with pegasi and confetti, and apparently, a substantial proportion of the pegasi were blind drunk already.

Your special day
We celebrate now, the pony way
Your friends are all right here
Won’t let these moments disappear because…

Judging by the number of ponies singing along with Twilight, this was yet another heartsong. So far, the count was up to three, with one of Shining Armor’s groomsmen… groomsponies… groomstallions?… starting the first, and one of the bridesmaids starting the second. Pinkie was zipping around at speeds rivaling Rainbow Dash, because they literally invited the entire city, and most of it actually did show up. After two low altitude Sonic Rainbooms with only four seconds between them, which caused premature detonation of about half the fireworks, only the dead wouldn’t.

Why is it bridesmaids, and not bridesmares, anyway?

The wedding cake was so big, that hollowed out, it could comfortably house a family of two with children. It’s a good thing ponies don’t seem to particularly enjoy wedding speeches, or we’d be here all the way into the next week. My primary discovery of the day, beyond the fact that a Sonic Rainboom is on the short list of things that blind the golden eye for more than a minute, was a bottle of salt liquor, which turned out to be one of the local distilled spirits of choice, next to applejack and whiskey.

It’s a shame that I get all the benefits of a hangover without actually getting noticeably drunk, but at least it relaxes the muscles.

“Me next!” Lyra yelled from the next table over, when Twilight came back.

“Sit down,” her date interrupted. “You’re not singing anything unless stone cold sober.”

“I am sober!” Lyra retorted.

“No you aren’t.”

Rarity giggled, “I must admit, Bon-Bon, you look more dashing in a tuxedo than most stallions. Why, I am positively charmed.”

“Mine!”

“Blame our one-pony engine of destruction here,” Bon-Bon commented, “I even had a dress prepared, but she insisted I get a tuxedo at the last minute.”

“I still can’t understand how you could get so scatterbrained, Twilight,” Moondancer said. “Lyra lives in Ponyville, just how could you miss that?!

I was surprised to find that Twilight had any proper friends in Canterlot in the first place, let alone five, not to mention that Lyra turned out to be one of them. More than that, I was surprised to see a pony who looked like Twilight’s twin that gravely angered the Wizard of Oz. The only significant difference between them beyond the coloration were the exceedingly bushy eyebrows. And glasses, which badly needed a replacement. And that sweater…

Rarity was so shocked to see the sweater, that she dragged Moondancer away by force the very moment they got introduced. They didn’t turn up for an entire day, and when they were back, the poor girl was sporting the newest selective visibility dress, together with elegant wire-rimmed glasses and neatly styled hair. Unfortunately I didn’t get to talk to her much after that, because she kept hiding behind Fluttershy and other non-threatening objects ever since, only starting to peek out after a generous dose of hard cider.

Bored Rarity is just about as dangerous as frustrated Twilight.

“I have no idea, myself,” Twilight replied, folding her ears in shame. “I just want to say this once again, I’m very sorry, Lyra.”

“Eh, I didn’t know you were Shining Armor’s little sister, we’re even,” Lyra waved a hoof dismissively, bumping a glass off the table. The glass was immediately caught in the glow of somepony’s magic. “You keep galloping from one adventure straight into another, it’s fun to watch.”

“Having fun, everypony?” Cadance’s voice rang out as she and Shining Armor approached. Twilight found a piece of paper on the table and crossed out a checkbox.

“Ye-e-s!” they chorused.

Most of them.

“Tis’ most exciting to finally see thee in the flesh,” someone whispered right above my ear. Luna, of course. With her dropping in on my “dreams” three times since I arrived, the voice is even familiar. “No, no, do not get up,” she added, dropping a pillow across the table from my chair, “We… ah, I, have had more than enough of our own citizens bowing for today.”

“If you say so,” I replied, locating a fresh glass and filling it with the salt liquor. “Pardon me if I’m committing any social transgression by offering, but shall we toast the happy couple?”

“This night is a time for celebration, so you do hereby have a royal pardon for any offenses committed unwillingly in sincere pursuit of such!” Luna replied, picking the glass up and clinking it on mine. “May Cadance and Shining Armor live happily ever after!” she proclaimed.

The toast was met with a smile from both mentioned, but they quickly went back to the murmur of conversation at the next table over.

“You are taking the celebration quite seriously, I see,” Luna commented, eyeing the bottle of salt liquor. Half-empty. “I was told champagne is the customary drink for a wedding, in this day and age.”

“I’ve had all manner of champagne over the years, this is new,” I replied. “And speaking of celebration, I think you will find I’m less intoxicated than, for example, those two,” I added, nodding in the direction of two dancing ponies.

The particular ponies in question were Prince Blueblood and Trixie, who both sported reddened cheeks, and moved with that grace you only find in people who are perpetually one misstep away from falling over.

“My sister was not particularly pleased with this development,” Luna commented. “Poor boy is excited to meet a mare who cares not for his rank and station, but in truth, her interest in him is marginal indeed. Alas, I had no opportunity to educate my student from an early age.”

“They do seem to be getting on well, though,” I commented. “You heard about the cart, I expect?”

“I have,” Luna nodded. “But verily, Trixie Lulamoon will follow Twilight Sparkle to the ends of the Earth, and there is naught he can do about it.”

“I don’t think this will be that much of a problem, if he is content with pulling her cart to those ends,” I said. “That would be interesting to watch, at least.”

“Tis’ true indeed,” Luna chortled, “A noble prince pulling a cart is a sight for sore eyes. Back in my day…” she trailed off. “It is so strange to find myself saying that, ‘back in my day,’ as if my days are over and done, and yet, I can find no other way to say it.”

“I used to do that all the bloody time,” I concurred. “Thinking of time as distance helps, so can I offer ‘back when and where I was born’ as an alternative?”

“It still makes me feel old!” Luna complained. “I am the younger sister, am I not?”

Not an issue I would expect a demigod with at least three hundred years worth of personal timeline to have. Certainly, not the kind of issue Rika has, and by my estimates, she’s just about that old. I wonder, how does Celestia feel about her age.

Instead of voicing that, I replied with a platitude I originally cooked up for myself. “You’re only officially old when, after consuming a work of fiction depicting a character of your age, instead of daydreaming of asking them something you wish you knew, you daydream about telling them something you know too bloody well.”

Luna laughed. “Verily, I would be hard pressed to locate such a work of fiction!”

“Don’t count on it,” I countered, “While you were out, ponies discovered science fiction and heroic fantasy. Characters of your age bracket turn up often. It’s not like the pony civilization doesn’t have the history of you two for an example, after all.”

“Indeed?” Luna looked at me curiously. “Tell me, then. To you, our realm is a work of fiction, is it not? So which is it that you are daydreaming of?”

“I think I’m still asking questions,” I shrugged. “Might have more to do with not sharing much experience with ponies, though.”

“Just like at the Gala, you’re hogging the new and interesting guests and dragging them off into dark corners, Luna,” someone accused next to the table. Celestia. We did finally get introduced earlier today, but she was so busy ever since, that I have managed to avoid her attention.

Maybe I should have kept avoiding it. I’m still not sure.

“Am not!” Luna retorted, sliding aside on her pillow, and tapping it with a hoof. “I just found her first.”

“Well, now I have caught you both. Victory!” Celestia replied with a smile, settling on the pillow next to Luna and wrapping a wing around her. “You’re a very difficult person to track down, Mary. It’s a shame, Twilight had so many good things to say about you.”

“Sorry, your highness,” I smiled. “Bit of a reflex. In all honesty, celebrations like these are not my forte. I’m constantly at a loss which behavior is appropriate in this particular culture, in this particular time, and with this particular company, and being among ponies does not help. Without Rarity’s invention, I expect I would pick a much darker corner to hide in.”

Luna’s eyebrows went up. Unlike Celestia, with her diplomatic poker face, Luna’s expressions are much more readable. Looks like the dress has remembered what it’s for and started working its magic.

“I understand that it is you whom we have to thank for finding Cadance,” Celestia remarked.

Why does the golden parasite think she’s a human girl in a poofy white dress even my mother would call old-fashioned? And why does she look like she was painted by James Whistler in pastel on black construction paper? For the entire day, every other pony was rendered by post-impressionists. As ponies. It has been ponies all the way ever since the invasion. Why did it decide to switch now?

“I think the correct word is blame, your highness,” I insisted. “After all, if it weren’t for me, the need wouldn’t arise in the first place.”

Every other pony, except Luna. I got so used to how mundane everypony looked for most of the week, that I actually managed to tune the eye out entirely. They look like sisters even as humans… but Luna’s dress is black.

“Really? I should blame you for being treated to some of the most moving displays of harmony in decades, then,” Celestia replied with an enigmatic smile. “To hear the whole city in heartsong, to witness a true miracle with my own eyes… This is something I haven’t seen for a very long time. I was pleasantly surprised.”

Should I take it as an indication that she had foreseen the mainline version of events which we disrupted, or not? Let’s determine just how informed she is, first.

“I can’t take credit for ponies engaging in heroism,” I replied. “Initiating the massacre of the invading army, though? Kind of. I did basically goad Rika into making it possible.”

I was pressed for time. I don’t do very well when I’m pressed for time.

“The last time I fought Chrysalis, I sealed her into a live volcano, and never expected to unseal it again,” Celestia replied, without losing a beat. “I mellowed out a lot over the years, but not enough to overturn that one decision, she inflicted far too much death and suffering on our little ponies. While I would have preferred to show mercy, this was the outcome she chose. She sent her changelings to their deaths, all by herself.”

Intriguing.

“Indeed,” Luna chimed in, “She refused surrender in no uncertain terms, and swore to visit untold calamities on Canterlot in the same breath.”

I can imagine why. How did she even survive in a volcano?… I guess I can ask that one later. “Out of curiosity,” I wondered, “what would have happened if she did surrender?”

“In this day and age?” Celestia pondered, raising a hoof to rub her chin. “She is not an Equestrian citizen, so she would be tried in a court of law as a foreign national for committing crimes in Equestria. Impersonation of a Princess of Equestria, fraud, conspiracy to commit an act of war, false imprisonment, use of mind altering magic with intent to commit fraud, escape from imprisonment for prior crimes, numerous misdemeanors…”

“Isn’t being a changeling enough?” Luna wondered.

“There’s no law against being a changeling, Luna, and I hope our little ponies won’t be stupid enough to try to pass one,” Celestia replied. “I’m still holding out for something good coming of her progeny, if not of Chrysalis herself, though after this incident, I’m open to suggestions.”

“What sort of sentence are we looking at, here?” I wondered. “And more importantly, do you think she knew what exactly to expect?” The implication that Chrysalis is the progenitor of all changelings is quite interesting already, – just how does that work exactly? – but I will need more pieces of this puzzle if I want to get this mess sorted out for good.

“Those crimes alone would be enough for a few decades in Tartarus, if she does not demonstrate repentance,” Celestia replied. “But with the way her prior sentence never had a set time, this would turn into a fascinating legal puzzle, which would occupy the court for years.” A mischievous grin spread across her elongated face. Of all the ponies I have seen so far, Celestia resembles an actual horse the most. “It would be very interesting to watch, and I find that the tedium of the proceedings works even better than–”

She was interrupted by a Royal Guard galloping to the table. He frantically tried to backpedal when he was just a few steps away, and slammed into it with the sound of a frying pan knocking on wood, nearly knocking my bottle over. “Your highnesses!” he panted out.

“What happened, sergeant?” Celestia asked him. So that’s what a worried Princess Celestia looks like. “Take a breath. Whatever it is, five seconds won’t make a difference, but a forgotten word might.”

The sergeant took a breath as directed, and removed his helmet, revealing the blue crew cut. He threw a glance at me, and I did my best to pretend I’m just background noise. Praise be to Rarity, this is so much easier now.

“Your highness,” he finally choked out, “It has returned!”

This story has the most peculiar sense of dramatic timing, the only way you could get more obvious is by punctuating it with a thunder strike.

Author's Note:

It’s about to get exciting again.

We’re pretty deep into the story, and I still don’t know if it is really tagged correctly. But it’s going to be more or less the same from here on in terms of tone and topics covered – meta-discourse and character pieces, worldbuilding and plothole-welding, punctuated by feels and relatively short bouts of frantic action.

PreviousChapters Next