• Published 7th Jan 2016
  • 1,214 Views, 6 Comments

A Galactic Goodwill Tour - Richforce



Twilight recalls the progress of her people while touring the Galaxy. Mass Effect crossover.

  • ...
2
 6
 1,214

Chapter 5

Earth Year: 2183

“Geth?!” Twilight said shocked. “But they haven’t been outside the Perseus Veil for almost three hundred years!”

“Do you think they’re starting a war with organics?” asked Gusto.

“It’s possible,” said Commander Lightspeed. “The last time Equus had anything to do with the geth was when Princess Luna rescinded an offer for refuge to the Quarians. She found out a plan by their military to use our colonies as bases to launch a counterattack on the geth putting our own people at risk.”

“We can’t jump to conclusions,” said Twilight. “The geth may not have any use for organics but since their rebellion against the Quarians they only attacked organics who entered their space. If it is them then something must have changed in the Veil recently, this could be a potential window for diplomacy.”

“I doubt it your highness,” said Captain Stargazer. “The report said casualties were localized but they tried to set off a number of nuclear devices. I doubt curiosity has anything to do with it unless it’s about Alliance defenses.”

“But humans have only been part of the galactic community for a little over a quarter of a century,” said Gusto. “They were given an embassy faster than usual but I don’t see that as something the geth would flag about them.”

“In any case thank you for the heads up,” said Twilight. “Keep me informed if anything new information is available.”

“Does this mean we’re cancelling your appearance at Elysium?” asked Lightspeed. “In light of this attack Alliance colonies could be seen as vulnerable.”

“No, it does not. Whatever their intentions are I won’t let them intimidate me.” Twilight then got a twinkle in her eye. “Actually yes, cancel the Elysium visit, after the Citadel we’ll be going to Eden Prime instead.”

“But the planet hasn’t been confirmed secure yet,” said Stargazer. “It probably will be by the time we leave the Citadel but…”

Twilight snorted. “People have lost their homes and families, this won’t just be a diplomatic visit, but a mission of mercy. I want us stocked with food, clothing and medical supplies while we are on the Citadel, the colonists will need them.”

“As you command your highness.”

“Captain we just got clearance from Keythong control to approach the Lambda Relay,” said the comm officer.

“Helm make our approach.”

“Aye sir!” said the Zebra mare manning helm control.

“Oh I’ve been waiting for this!” said Gusto.

Twilight and Gusto looked on as they started moving toward the massive tuning fork shaped object near the orbit of the gas giant Keythong. In the middle where two rings moving around a core of element zero.

“A mass relay,” said Gusto. “The pride of the protheans,”

“Lambda Relay is in range, initiating transmission sequence,” said the Helm officer. “We are connected calculating transit mass and destination.”

The rings in the relay began to move faster.

“Relay is hot, acquiring approach vector. All stations secure for transit.”

The Ship began to approach in an angle that would bring it parallel to the relay and facing the star the “fork” seemed to be pointing to.

“Board is green. Beginning approach run.”

Twilight cringed a little with how close to the relay they were, it looked like they could crash into the megastructure.

“Hitting the Relay in three…two…one.”

A bolt hit the Celestia’s Majesty from the element zero core. Soon they were accelerated even faster than they were on their own FTL.

“All systems online, vessel heat is within safe levels. Our drift is under sixteen hundred K.”

“Nice work Zecara,” said Lightspeed. “Two Way be sure to prep a signal to our Turian escort once we get to Halfax. From there it’s a straight shot to the Citadel.”

“Aye ma’am,” said the green coated unicorn mare.

“Princess you may want to prepare a response for the press once we arrive,” said Stargazer. “Particularly about Eden Prime.”

“Thank you Captain,” said Twilight.

She and Gusto went back to her quarters.

“So what are you going to say?” asked Gusto.

“Mostly what I said on the bridge,” said Twilight. “I’m not going to sweat the details just yet. First I want to finish our story. As I recall I left it as we were reaching the climax.”

“You bet, Lighting Dust probably dead and an alien spaceship just passed them. I know how it ended but still how they felt…”

“I’m sorry but after what we just learned I want to go back a little.”

Gusto’s feathers stood up. “But why?”

“We are out here in part to sure up our relations with the rest of the galaxy and keep our friendships with them healthy. After this Eden Prime business, I think part of keeping those friendships is more important than ever. One thing I’ve learned over the years was that usually there are at least two sides to every story, usually it is well worth hearing both. I’m going back to tell a side of the story that you probably haven’t heard in school. It was the same day and not too far away from Harmony Three…”

+++

Earth Year: 1186
Somewhere in the Epona System

“Captain’s log: Fifteenth day of Cornath, Galactic Standard Year 1687, Captain Arteria Dominus of the Turian Imperial Ship Resolute reporting. Our mission of surveying the systems surrounding a newly opened primary relay has entered its ninth day. We were to scout for resources and potential hideouts for future pirates around what is being called the Lambda relay. Normally this would be a job for a dedicated science vessel however circumstances need us to be here, the long range probe sent to the cluster named by the Salarians as the Crown Nebula matched the relay to one in the Halfax system, which has another relay that connects directly to the Citadel. We are to assess potential threats to the Citadel from the relatively close systems.

"Normally this would be similar to a routine patrol but the Asari and Salarian scientists that came with us became particularly excited when we approached one of the adjacent stars and picked up radio transmissions, I on the other claw prepared for the worst. The Galaxy has a long memory and even nearly seventeen-hundred years later it is still cautious because of the bloody affair known as the Rachni Wars.

“My fears however were unfounded. On examining the garden world that is the fourth planet we determined that the native species has only achieved spaceflight extremely recently, their first manned vessel only launched a solar year ago and we are observing their latest flight from beyond the range of their radar. Although first contact is permitted I decided to take the cautious approach until we learn more about them, the only other thing of note is a Trojan asteroid at the garden world’s L4 point that has what looks like a prothean bunker, no working technology but a considerable supply of element zero that by law belongs to the natives. Still it hasn’t stopped two of our scientists from dissecting every transmission we get from the craft and the planet.

“Current Status: fully operational. End of entry.”

After finishing her log Arteria left her office and entered the Combat Information Center of the ship. As she approached the galaxy map she gave an order to the systems operators. “Display system map.”

The map changed to show the sun and six planets that made up the virgin star system. One marker noted where the alien spacecraft was orbiting at the fourth planet’s L2 point. Arteria made a note and started looking at reports from the probes that came back from the other five planets.

“Captain!” called out a woman with blue skin and a head crest. “We finished it!”

The Captain sighed and turned around. “The answer is still no Doctor Carmeta.”

The Asari held a data pad in front of the captain as she turned around. “But the algorithm Doctor Vorren designed has deciphered most of their language based on the transmissions from the craft and planet! We should be able to speak to them using machine translation!”

Arteria took the pad and looked over the program. “And what if their response is to shoot missiles at us?”

“I sincerely doubt it,” Doctor Carmeta said as she crossed her arms over her chest. “From what we determined most of them value harmony and co-operation primarily, a stable first contact should be simple.”

“Simple if this was really a scientific vessel. Remember this is a warship.”

“Still it could be worth the risk, we already have evidence of prothean occupation here. They may have the answers the galaxy has been seeking for a millennia and a half!”

“I suppose Doctor Vorren wants to contact the natives too. That Salarian never could keep his curiosity in check.”

“He says that there is more than one sapient race down there, and most of them are quadrupeds!”

The captain took a look on the planet on the map. “We’ll wait until we return to the relay. I’ll ask permission from the Council and if they approve they can send a diplomatic party. We still have a job to do and six more systems to survey.”

Doctor Carmeta bowed her head. “I suppose that would be the wise course of action. Can I at least use the translation matrix on the messages from the spacecraft? This is a historic moment for them and I’d like the rest of the galaxy to get a chance to hear it.”

“One of our fighters is keeping tabs on the ship, we’ll transmit the program to him and get a few words.”

“Thank you captain.”

With a gesture from Captain Dominus the comms officer responded. “Resolute to Dagger Four, come in Dagger Four.”

+++

“This is Dagger Four, I copy Resolute,” said Taloc. Tracking the ship was a different task than the young officer was used to but if it got him into a cockpit it was worth it.

“We’ve sent over a translation program to you. Mind if we can hear what your buddies over there are saying?”

Taloc allowed a smile under his helmet. “Patching matrix into my hardsuit. You should be getting the message now.”

“Destiny is underway.”

“We can confirm, Operation Control is getting telemetry from the probe.”

“Roger Control, Harmony Three out.”

Taloc looked at his LADAR screen. “They launched a probe to the Trojan with the prothean bunker. Looks like we might be getting new neighbors.”

The fighter’s panel began beeping.

“Dagger Four, we’re reading that your sensors picked up something.”

“There’s a micro-meteoroid approaching the alien craft.”

+++

“How’s that possible?” said the sensor officer on the Resolute. “None of the objects we tracked down should get anywhere near…” A sudden unease washed over the bridge as he came to a realization. “Unless its orbit was altered by the ship’s mass effect field.”

“We caused this?” said an Ill looking Doctor Carmeta.

“Chances of impact are high,” Taloc said over the Radio. “Request permission to knock it out!”

The captain approached the comm station. “Dagger Four this is Captain Dominus, permission denied. We can’t risk them spotting you or you accidently hitting them, continue to observe.” She turned to the Asari. “At this point he’d do more harm than good.”

“They’re hit! The meteoroid shattered on impact and hit other systems, I’m no longer receiving their transmissions, moving to minimum detection threshold to pick up short range comms. LADAR shows the damage they got is bad, their chances of getting home without help are slim.”

“We have to help now,” said Doctor Carmeta. “They can’t call their people and we put them into this situation.”

“We aren’t equipped to handle a rescue on such a rudimentary vessel. Even if can we have no way of knowing if their world has any particular conditions for their survival, we wouldn’t be able to reproduce something like that.”

“Looks like two of them are leaving the craft, seems like they have some sort of plan. Tuning into their frequency…”

“While you are out there be sure to check the boosters for damage. If they are too damaged to fire then this whole plan is shot to Tartarus.”

“Looks like they’re activating those booster rockets manually,” said Taloc. “Risky move, I like it.”

“Once you press the button behind that panel you’ll have to move back to the port side wing and pull the emergency release lever when the commander shuts her booster off. Without that coolant pulling a long enough burn will overheat the booster faster than space will be able to cool it, you’ll have to eject the rocket before it explodes and takes us with it.”

“Too risky for my tastes,” said the Captain. “Dagger Four maintain your distance.”

“You’re not making this easy for me captain.” Both rockets ignited. “So far so good, now if they can shut them down or cut them loose this has a shot of working.”

“Yeah that thing that came up, the hatch unexpectedly clamped shut on my hoof before I could reach the button, the lever isn’t working. Dash, you have to release the rocket with me on it.”

“No.” said Doctor Carmeta.

+++

“I’m sorry Lightning. I wish we could have become real friends.”

“That…was nopony’s fault but mine. Just don’t remember me like this, remember me like I’m going to be in a little while. I’m going to be riding on the back of a rocket in outer space, how much cooler can it get than that?! Sure beats lying in some hospital bed wondering what might have been.”

“Goodbye Lightning. I’m proud to say that I’ve known you.”

“Thanks for giving us a chance. We won’t waste it!”

“I know this probably doesn’t mean anything now. But I’m glad to have known you and you’ll always be a Wonderbolt in my book.”

“Screw this!” Taloc said pounding his control panel. “That girl has too much to live for some malfunctioning hatch to take it away!”

Taloc tapped a few holographic buttons. “Dagger Four to Resolute! I’m initiating a rescue operation!”

“Negative Dagger Four,” said the comm officer. “Your ship isn’t equipped for this kind of mission.”

“Pugio fighters are equipped with harpoon cables right?”

“That’s to tow ships in, it won’t help you save the alien.”

“Unless I use the cable as a guide line, follow it to the rocket and blow the hatch off with my sidearm. Then I just have to signal the ship to reel us in before the thing blows.”

“This is Captain Domnius,” said the Captain. “Your plan is more likely kill you than save her! Plus if the first thing they see of the Galactic Community is a warship barreling down on them it could hamper our diplomatic efforts permanently! The Hierarchy may decide that the only option then could be an invasion and takeover and that’s IF the Council agrees to it, we could lose these people permanently. Between the Korgan and the Terminus we need all the allies we can get, it’s not worth one person’s life.”

“Sorry, captain. But it’s my life to risk.”

“Then you leave me no choice, Lieutenant. Return to base immediately, this is a direct order from your commanding officer.”

“*Hissssss* what was that again captain? *Hissssss* I couldn’t read you. *Hissssss* Too much interference. *Hissssss*”

“I’ve been in service long enough to know fake static when I hear it Lieutenant! If you disobey this order it is grounds for a court martial!”

“Then I’ll accept the punishment, but I’m saving her life!”

Dagger Four shot through space, close enough for the alien ship to see him.

+++

“Damn it!” the captain said banging her fist against the railing. “Scramble Daggers One and Two! Drag him back if they have to, orders are fire only if fired upon!”

A salarian burst into the CIC. “I heard the news!” he said. “What’s going on?!”

“One of our fighters is mounting a foolhardy rescue mission. I’m about to get him back.”

“Captain,” said Doctor Carmeta. “I’m sure Doctor Vorren would agree with me that the pilot should try.”

“I’m trying to prevent a potential diplomatic incident here!” said Arteria.

“I think diplomacy is why the attempt should be made,” said Doctor Vorren.

“You have one minute to explain.”

“You were concealing our presence from the native lifeforms so that the council races would make the best first impression possible. The most dominant of those species seem to value co-operation and harmony above all else. If a Turian pilot risks his life to save one of those lifeforms, one he has never met, what sort impression would you think that would make?”

“Daggers One and Two are ready for launch,” said the XO. “Your orders ma’am?”

Arteria looked at the display of Dagger Four approaching the rocket and made her decision.

+++

“Ok,” Lightning Dust said to no-one in particular. “It’s getting real hot and this ride isn’t fun anymore, shouldn’t it have blown up by now?”
She turned and saw a small ship approach the rocket from behind. “Great, now I’m seeing things.” A harpoon with a cable from the ship pierced the rocket a short distance from her. “Or maybe not.”

The ship’s canopy opened up and a bipedal figure stepped out covered head to toe in a high-tech suit with an odd helmet. Leaping from the ship he caught a hook connected to his belt onto the cable and slid it down to Lightning’s position his boots magnetizing on the metal. “You wouldn’t happen to be one of Precursors would you?”

“No idea what you’re talking about but I’m here to help,” Lighting heard over her short range radio. The creature drew out a device from a holster. “Hold still.”

Pulling a switch on the device twice two bits of metal damaged the hatch enough for Lightning to remove her hoof. She used the suit’s grabber to hold onto a pipe to keep from flying off into space.

“Ok, what now?”

The creature put the weapon back in the holster and offered a three fingered hand. “Hold tight.”

After Lightning offered her other hoof and was pulled close an orange glow appeared around the stranger’s other arm. After tapping a part of the glow his ship began pulling the cable back zipping the two away from the rocket as his boot magnets disengaged. About three quarters of the way there the rocket exploded hurtling them towards the hull.

“Rougher than I expected.” The alien said after the collision. “We should get inside, it’s going to be a tight fit.”

Lightning squeezed herself behind the pilot’s seat as he the canopy closed and he took the controls. “Interference from the explosion has jammed up my guidance computer,” the pilot said. “It’ll take a minute to reboot.”

Lightning looked out the window. “I don’t think we have a minute.”

The remaining booster rocket was flying towards them.

“Kinetic barrier’s not going to be able to handle that much!” the pilot said. “Dammit! I couldn’t have risked this much just to fail!”

Another voice came over the radio. “Daggers One and Two this is Captain Dominius. Knock out that rocket! You are cleared to fire at will!”

“Copy that captain,” said another voice as two more ships appeared nearby. “Target locked, firing disrupter torpedo!”

The lead of the two ships released a metal cylinder that ignited on one end soon after. The torpedo then shot towards the rocket and detonated on impact destroying both in a large explosion.

“Thanks a lot guys,” The pilot said.

“Hell, we couldn’t let you take all the glory,” said the second voice on the radio.

“Can you help my friends?” Lightning asked. “Our ship was badly damaged and…”

“We know the situation,” the first radio voice. “Dagger squadron your new orders are to escort the alien vessel to the Resolute for rescue then return to base for debriefing.”

“Thank you captain,” the pilot said. “Why the change of heart?”

“The scientists the council sent convinced me that it was the best course of action to ensure a good relationship between our peoples. But don’t think this lets you off the hook. No formal charges will be pressed but you can count on a disciplinary action in your future. Resolute out.”

“What does that mean?” Lightning asked.

“Probably that I’m going to spend the rest of this assignment calibrating something. Still it was just the right thing to do,” said the pilot.

“I…appreciate it, I spent a lot of time trying to push them away but now I can give it a fresh start.” Lightning took a breath. “My name is Lightning Dust.”

“I know from the transmissions we’ve been receiving.”

“Even so you have to give your name before asking someone else theirs. It’d be weird having a friend whose name I don’t even know.”

“Friend, just like that?”

“Making friends is something my people tend to be good at, though I’ve taken it for granted the past few years. Besides if our peoples are going to start talking there are bound to be a few friendships in that mix so why not us? If you want.”

“I’d be honored. I’m Taloc, Taloc Vakarian.”

“Nice to meet you Taloc, so what can you tell me about yourself?”

+++

“I got the radio working,” said Sprocket. “Harmony Three to Operation Control. Come in Control.”

“*hissssss* This is Operation Control we read you Harmony Three,” said a voice over the radio. “Everyone’s real worried down here requesting a sitrep over.”

Rainbow Dash turned on her microphone. “Where do I start? I guess I have to tell you about Lightning Dust…”

“Come in Harmony Three! This is Dagger Four!” came Lightning Dust’s voice over the radio.

“Lightning?!” Rainbow said feeling her heart climb up her chest. “Where are you?!”

“Sorry to make you worry. I just met a few new friends who are going to give us lift to their mothership. Don’t worry if you feel a sudden jolt that just means the ship’s been harpooned for towing.”

“Am I hearing this right?!” said the Operation Control manager. “You’ve been in contact with aliens?!”

“It’s been that kind of day,” said Rainbow Dash. “We’ll fill you and each other in before this mothership picks us up.”

The mentioned jolt felt like a relief to the crew of Harmony Three as they were towed towards history.

+++

Hours later the crew of Harmony Three were assembled in a lounge like room with a small window. When they were first brought in the crew was closely examined by the aliens along with their craft. While the ship’s doctors were giving them a clean bill of health they learned a few things about their new benefactors.

Most of the aliens on board the ship came from a race called the turians, though there were a few scientists that were what the others called asari and salarians. They seemed to surveying the local star systems and they didn’t seem to be the Precursors that created their ancestors.
Moondancer and Sprocket were the most inquisitive though answers weren’t very forthcoming from the turians, they were all highly disciplined and they weren’t able to see Lightning’s friend Taloc since they arrived. For right now they were just waiting, though the ship seemed to be moving closer to Equus.

Rainbow Dash however found her mind going back to her old friend Lightning though she hadn’t talked to her face to face after the big hug she gave her when they reunited. Rainbow moved closer to her friend looking out the window.

“Stargazing huh? I see you’re paying particular attention to the Sisters. Not my favorite but I know some ponies can’t help but look there first.”

Lightning Dust pointed to one small star outside the ones that usually formed the constellation. “Taloc told me his people call that star Trebia and orbiting around it is Palaven, the planet where they come from. One day I am going to see the place my friend calls home.”

“Funny I thought you were always about pushing yourself. Your new goal sounds more like a plan for vacation.”

“It might still be some time off, but I’d like to help everybody to allow that sort thing to happen however I can.”

“It might still be up to these people,” said Moondancer. “They’re taking us home but what about after that?”

“That is part of what I want us to discuss,” said a female turian as the doors opened. Following her was one of the asari and a salarian. “Forgive the delay, running a ship of this size is a very involving job. I am Arteria Dominus, Captain of the Resolute. These are doctors Carmeta and Vorren, we hope you would be able to answer some of our questions as well.”

Rainbow stepped forward. “I’m Rainbow Dash the leader of this mission, this our scientist Moondancer, our engineer Sprocket and you probably already know our pilot Lightning Dust.”

“Taloc isn’t in trouble is he?” Lightning asked.

“He’ll be on restrictive duty for putting himself at egregious risk for a few days, but I don’t think his career is in any danger,” the captain said.

“Ok, now for the obvious question,” said Rainbow. “Why are you here?”

“May I answer this captain?” Doctor Carmeta asked. After she gave a nod the doctor continued. “We represent a group of races who have chosen to follow a common set of laws made by a council set up to ensure galactic peace. We found this system after recently opening the mass relay to this cluster.”

“Mass relay?” asked Sprocket.

“A device of prothean origin that enables travel between vast distances of space in a short period of time,” said Doctor Vorren. “These relays form a galaxy spanning network with a massive space station called the Citadel at its heart.”

“Prothean?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“A space faring race that created the mass relays and used them to build a massive empire,” said Carmeta. “About forty-nine thousand years ago they vanished in a swift galactic extinction, no one knows what became of them but the technology they left behind is the foundation of galactic society today.”

The ponies whispered among themselves for a moment before Moondancer spoke. “Forty-nine thousand years, are you sure about that time?”

“Every school child in the galaxy knows that,” said the captain. “Do you have ruins on your planet about that old?”

“More than that,” said Rainbow Dash. “We had some sort of working holographic program that spoke to us.”

“A working prothean VI?” asked Doctor Vorren.

“Not anymore it broke down the same day we found it. But it did manage to give us a lot of info including that… an alien race, your protheans most likely, engineered us from animals they brought from another planet.”

“This…” said Doctor Carmeta. “Is incredible! We’ve had evidence that the protheans had monitored and perhaps influenced developing species, but this is the first time we’ve heard of them engineering designer lifeforms. This would explain why there are multiple sapient species on your planet when the majority had one or two at most.”

“But why move the subjects from one planet to another?” said Doctor Vorren.

“Probably because of our world’s magic,” said Moondancer.

The captain gave a dry laugh. “I doubt the protheans would have been here for any superstitions you people have. What most species had termed as ‘magic’ is usually natural phenomenon like Biotics or the tricks of shysters to prey on the gullible.”

“But there is something on this world, something the VI said was not found anywhere else in the galaxy!” Moondancer bowed her head. “If you would allow me I can prove it, I know something that will convince you.”

“Very well, as long as you aren’t causing harm to my ship or crew.”

“Wouldn’t think of it.” She closed he eyes and in a flash of light teleported to the other side of the room.

Doctor Vorren jumped back slightly. “But that goes against the laws of physics! To do that you would have to deconstruct an object to its base atoms and reassemble them! Doing that means precisely knowing a particle’s location and momentum but if you measure one you change the other making it impossible to do both! And even if you could there is no guarantee that a person subjected would be able to survive!”

“Calm down doctor,” said Arteria. “Performers have been faking this sort of thing for centuries.”

“Able to set it up in an unknown room with nothing but what’s on them and in the room itself?” Doctor Carmeta said. “Even the soundest of perceived physical laws can change when our understanding of the universe grows.”

“Still, I find it hard to believe their claim that in all of the galaxy ‘magic’ is only possible here.”

“We don’t know why, magicians and sorcerers had been looking for the source for generations. It was only because of that VI we confirmed it exists at all. We know that it involves an energy field that extends slightly farther than our moon and I just discovered that an internal sort of telekinectic ability that can alter an objects mass seems to be the triggering mechanism.”

“You mean Biotics?”

“The Captain is referring to the manipulation of dark energy and mass effect fields through the use of modules of element zero in the nervous system,” said Doctor Vorren. “Usually the result of prenatal exposure to element zero, though some species, like the asari, are naturally biotic.”

“Is element zero what you call the substance that can affect an object’s mass when an electric current passes through it?” said Sprocket.

“I assume you learned that from the VI,” said Doctor Carmeta. “Yes, Element Zero is the key to many of the vital technologies used throughout the galaxy.”

“Yeah,” said Rainbow. “It called itself Virtue and told us the Precursors, that’s what we’ve come to call them anyway, wanted us to use the stuff to get to the next star over. We don’t know what to do from there though.”

“That’s where the relay is located,” said the captain. “Seems like whatever the protheans’ plans for you were they involved you making your way to the Citadel and from there the rest of the galaxy.”

“That isn’t going to be a problem?” asked Lighting Dust.

“No,” said Doctot Carmeta. “In fact now that your peoples are going to be formally introduced to the galactic community there will need to a number of preperations made. The ceremony and exhibition on your planet needs to be planed, your people will need to choose delegates to help bring the rest of your people up to speed…”

“There will time for that later,” said the captain. “We’ll need you to communicate with your people so we can co-ordinate getting you four back to the planet surface. I expect you’ll have quite the reception when you get there.”

+++

“You pretty much know the rest,” said Twilight. “The crew of Harmony Three came home heroes and a few months later the Citadel delegates for welcoming ceremonies on Equus arrived. After that we sent our own delegates, including my friends, to the Citadel for three months to learn from the rest of galaxy and that eventually lead us here.”

“Whatever happened to Lightning Dust?” asked Gusto.

“She eventually reached her new goal, being the first Equinite to visit the turian homeworld. She and Taloc Vakarian were even the subject of a statue at our oldest spaceport, meant to celebrate our unity with the other races of the galaxy.”

A tone rang out. “The time is 1600 hours, galactic standard,” said the Celestia VI.

“It’s about time for me to hit the gym,” said Gusto. “Then a quick nap before we reach the Citadel.”

“I understand,” said Twilight. “I better get to preparing my response to the media once we arrive, I’ll see you then.”

As Gusto left the room Lightspeed’s voice came over the intercom. We’re in queue to take the relay to the Citadel and will be underway in thirty standard minutes. Are there any messages you would like to send via comm buoy beforehand?”

“Yes,” Twilight said sitting at her desk and facing the terminal screen. “Open a secure channel to Arcturus Station, diplomatic priority. I wish to speak with Amul Shastri.”

“Aye, ma’am.”

A couple of minutes later the terminal displayed an older human wearing executive style clothing. From her studies she judged that by his appearance he was from the subcontinent of India.

“Diarch Twilight Sparkle,” the man said. “It is an honor to speak with you.”

“And with you Prime Minister,” said Twilight. “Though I wish it was under happier circumstances. On behalf of the Equinite Harmonium I offer our sincere condolences for the tragic loss of life during the attack on Eden Prime.”

“Thank you Diarch,” said the prime minister. “Humanity is, as always, appreciative of the support offered by our ‘cousins’ on Equus.”

“Are the reports true? Was this attack carried out by the geth?”

“You are on a secure channel?”

“Yes Minister, are they true?

The minister’s face became grim. “According to Captain David Anderson the attackers his people fought were geth.”

“Do you have any idea why they would do this?”

“Yes, but what I am about to tell you does not go outside that room.”

Twilight spoke out to the air. “Celestia once this transmission ends please delete all records of it.”

“I shall do so Twilight.”

Twilight turned back to the prime minister. “Go ahead.”

“A prothean artifact, a beacon of some sort, was unearthed a few days before the attack. Captain Anderson was on his way to retrieve it for the Council when they received Eden Prime’s distress call. It appears they were trying to steal the beacon and then destroy the evidence by nuking the colony. Anderson’s ground team disarmed the bombs however the beacon was destroyed and we lost a lot of good people.”

“How horrible. But how did the geth even know about the beacon?”

The minister looked uncomfortable. “That is part of our ongoing investigation, however I’d rather not discuss it with you until the Council reviews our findings.”

Twilight played the political game long enough that while the Prime Minister of the Systems Alliance wasn’t lying to her he wasn’t telling her the whole truth either. “Very well, the Harmonium will probably send out travel advisories warning our people about the geth and unfortunately advise against visiting human colonies, but I will continue my tour as planned with the exception that we will be using our Elysium stop to render aid to the Eden Prime colonists.”

“I’m sure it will be welcome and we are looking forward to your visit to Earth as well.”

“Thank you, Celesia’s Majesty out.”

As Twilight shut down the transmission she heard the ship’s VI. “All records of communication deleted.”

Twilight looked out her cabin window. Her trip was just beginning but instead of feeling relaxed was even more worried than before. She made a note to ask Ambassador Sunrise what she knew once she got to the Citadel. She felt like there was some sort of sinister presence in all of this and it felt like a shadow was stretching across the galaxy.

Author's Note:

Bonus Codex Entry:

Magic: A phenomenon unique to Equus, what the natives have termed magic is the ability to change the structure of matter through the interaction between dark energy fields and a unique form of energy that is found nowhere else in the galaxy. What generates what the natives have long termed as a “mana field” and how it exactly works is unknown to modern science and attempts to find either have so far ended in failure.

Despite these setbacks much has been learned about the mana field’s effects and limits. Though the potential for manufacturing is immense the combination of added strain and mnemonics not easily translatable to bipedal organisms limits current galactic use to specialty items. The field also increases the overall mass of the planet and atmosphere, constant care by the equinites is needed to continue the weather cycle and alicorn intervention prevents Equus from becoming tidaly locked with its sun Epona and moon Areion.

Comments ( 4 )

6876582 In the first place they were trying to be friends with everyone, second to the Batarians it was more of an matter of convenience.

Very nice story so far, good work. :twilightsmile:

Login or register to comment