• Published 6th Jun 2012
  • 1,818 Views, 38 Comments

From the isles of Avalon - The Drifting Bard



a man shall fight for his life, make the ultimate sacrifice and be back for tea and croissants.

  • ...
7
 38
 1,818

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2: Coffee, Jobs and a tour

we can talk about normality till the cows come home...


My phone's alarm went off. I rubbed the sleep from my eyes upon hearing a bizarre shout of "What in sweet Celestia's name was that?" I sighed as I sat up.
"Music?" I replied sheepishly, scratching my beard subconsciously.
She squeaked in surprise. as I peered into the kitchen, she was sat at the kitchen table with a mug of coffee in her hand.
"I smell coffee" she took the small hint.
"How many sugars?" I raised an eyebrow.
"Er... one please" I sighed as i took in the sight before me.
I reached to the back of my head, tugging at the hairband keeping my hair in its usual topknot.
As the cascade of auburn hair fell down my back, I shook my head, then retied it into a simple ponytail.
I noted the jaw effortlessly hitting the floor. "You'll catch flies"
"I thought you had short hair?" she stammered as she handed me a coffee.
"Mmm arabica, and nope" I took a swig of the coffee.

She looked over to me for a moment. placing down her mug on the table she walked out.
I noticed the newspaper. "strange black thing falls into everfree forest, huh..."
Suddenly the world went black. "are you hinting at a shower my dear?"
She nodded, "well yes"
I sighed, "point me in the right direction" She dragged me up stairs,
"Darling, I have a feeling those are the only clothes you have right now, so if you leave them there, i'll make some new ones"
I dare not question her thinking. I simply did as she asked.


Rarity took the clothes and studied them for a moment, then began working.
She began by making the trousers, having a brief brainwave of creating cargo jeans, she had started working.
But thats when she heard it. It was subtle at first, but then became louder. The sounds of a certain melody echoed from the bathroom. Soon a voice accompanied the music.
"what is that?" she walked up near the door. She began to listen intently, and soon found herself dancing to the music while she worked.


"And she laughed no more " the final note, and I was clean. Thats when I noticed Rarity standing in the doorway, blushing slightly. She held out a pair of dark blue cargo jeans. "for you, Songbird"
With a quick flourish, she handed me the article of clothing and left the room.
as I put the jeans on, I smiled brightly. I grabbed the black shirt I had on the day before.
Walking out as I buttoned it up, I could see she was still blushing. "You weren't expecting a voice like that were you?"
I chuckled. She simply shook her head. "Where did you learn to sing like that?"
"I have no idea" I shrugged my shoulders.

I took a tentative look outside. noticing Twilight approaching the front door.
"Sparkle's here" I smiled.
A knock on the door made Rarity aware.
"Hello Twilight" Rarity smiled as she opened the door.
"How did you... never mind" Twilight looked across to me.
I was simply smiling. The headphones were on and nobody was home as it were.
But thats when they noticed my hands and fingers moving.
I had a forlorn look on my face. "I miss Mahiko, already" I sighed.
They watched as I smiled. "yo, Twilight care to give me the grand tour?"
"Of course, I sent that letter by the way"
I simply nodded as I took another swig of coffee, lowering my headphones to rest them around my neck.
"so where to first, I can tell i'll already enjoy it here"


she took me to the most important spots, I took notice of the Job opportunities in the windows.
"and this is sugarcube corner," she stated as we walked in. "coffee?"
"yes please, i'd pay but"
"dont worry about it, its what friends do" she noticed my big smile.
"Finally someone who gets it!" she looked at me in confusion.
"i wont ask" i simply chuckled.
"Oh hey Twilight! how are you? who's this?" A pink haired woman gleefully grinned.
"I'm fine, Pinkie, This is Gallant Knight, he's new here," she said with a wink.
"what can we do for you?" I simply smiled at her enthusiasm.
"two coffees please pinkie" Twilight smiled.
"And a job if your offering" i chuckled.
"why do you want a job?" Pinkie asked as she slid 2 fresh coffees our way.
"I need to pay Rarity back for crashing through her roof" i smiled a little bit.

"thats one way to make an entrance" Pinkie giggled.
"my only regret is that it was painful" i chuckled.

Sitting down at a nearby table, I simply gave a scratch at the back of my head. "so, Gallant Knight huh?" i chuckled.
She looked at me sheepishly. "Alan Nightly is a bit of a strange name here," She took a sip of coffee. "and besides... Celestia's coming to meet you soon" My eyes widened slightly.
I took swig of coffee before speaking my mind, Pinkie came bounding over to the table. "I just spoke to the Cakes, they say that if you come by later, they'll put you on the deliveries, 5 bits per item" I grinned.
"no interview?"
"they trust me" I couldn't question the logic of this new place.
The bell of the cafe tinkled with the sound of two new entrants. "alls im sayin, RD, is that ya could be more careful in future"
"yeah yeah, I said i was sorry" the second voice sounded glum.
I looked up to see the new people. another two women. as i took in the sight the first spoke again. "uh...Twilight, yer new friend there is starin"
"Am I? sorry, kinda crashed my train of thought when you two walked in" I chuckled nervously.
I then looked over to Twilight, then simply smiled as i extended a hand. "the name's Gallant Knight"
"Applejack" she took my hand and shook it violently.
"And i'm Rainbow Dash, fastest flyer in all of Equestria!"
I couldn't say much to that, so I simply raised an eyebrow and took another swig of coffee.

PreviousChapters Next