• Published 1st Nov 2015
  • 5,030 Views, 668 Comments

The Unequal - Invinsible



Starlight Glimmer is victorious in stealing everypony's cutie marks. But a mysterious and creepy filly is immune to her magic. While Starlight searches for a way to beat the filly, one thing is clear...there's something wrong with that girl.

  • ...
26
 668
 5,030

The Worm

Cheerilee frowned at the single sheet of paper on her desk. “Is this really all the information we have on her?”

Starlight sighed. “I’m afraid so. She has repeatedly refused to get a physical with any of our doctors, so still no medical information. Nopony has come forward to claim her as their child. All she does is giggle when I ask her what her name is.”

“Well, okay then. Is there anything else I can do for you Miss Glimmer?” Cheerilee asked with a forced smile.

Starlight opened her mouth to answer but hesitated as she stared at the teacher. Normally, an equalized pony’s smile filled her with pride. But for the first time, she was noticing something strange about those smiles. Maybe because the filly…

Starlight shook her head. “That will be all.” Without another word, she walked out of the schoolhouse.

Starlight calmly strolled through Ponyville, smiling and nodding at all the equalized ponies she passed. However, her leisurely stroll was interrupted when a large beach ball sailed out of a window and smacked her in the head.

“Ow!” She growled and grabbed the ball in her magic before she turned to look at the window it had been thrown out of. Her eyes widened in surprise as she noticed that it was Rarity’s house and former boutique. She walked up to the door and knocked.

Rarity opened the door and gave her a forced smile. “Oh, Starlight! Good morning.”

“Good morning Rarity,” Starlight said as she held up the ball. “Do you have any idea why I found this outside your window?”

Rarity shrugged. “It was the strangest thing. The young filly that everyone has been talking about visited my home today. She asked if she could speak with Sweetie Belle and I told her that she was out playing with her friends. Then she asked if she could buy a cloak.”

Starlight smiled. “Oh, she’s taken an interest in local fashion? That’s wonderful news.”

Rarity giggled. “Oh, I’d say she’s taken more than an interest darling. She took my entire line. Every single hideous…I mean fabulous cloak I made. She also asked if I had any of the dresses I used to make before you came to Ponyville.” A frown slowly formed on Rarity’s face at the memory. “…You told me to get rid of them…why would you do that?”

Starlight frowned at Rarity’s sudden hostility. “Rarity, you know that those dresses are far too gaudy. In our town we keep things simple. A simple life leads to a harmonious life.”

“…Right,” Rarity sighed. “Anyway, she bought all those cloaks plus a pair of scissors, my old sewing machine, and some paint.”

“Paint?” Starlight asked. “What do you need paint for? What does she need paint for?”


“Oh, nothing you’d be interested in darling,” Rarity said with a wave of her hoof. “After our transaction, the little dear was so excited she raced upstairs to try it all on. She’s been upstairs in my room since then. Well, except for when she came downstairs to kick one of Sweetie Belle’s beach balls out the window. I scolded her for her treatment of my sister’s toys, but it looks like she was right when she said it would return,” she said as she pointed at the ball Starlight was still carrying.

Starlight frowned. “Did she say why she threw this ball out the window? It hit me in the back of the head. That couldn’t have been accidental.”

Rarity rolled her eyes. “You know, instead of asking me all these questions you can go upstairs and ask her. Just remember to knock first.”

“Fine.” Starlight dropped the ball on the floor and went upstairs. She was about to knock on Rarity’s bedroom door, when she heard the filly talking.

“…wait, no. No, no, no. It’s a little early to be doing that. We’ll save that for another day.”

Starlight frowned. Was someone in there with the filly? She decided to skip knocking and opened the door, walking towards the filly’s voice.

The sight before Starlight made her pause. There was a huge pile of Rarity’s old dresses lumped together in one corner of the room. In another corner, the filly was admiring her reflection in the mirror. The filly was wearing an unusual dress, composed of a green top and a pink skirt with zipper pockets. It looked like she had also taken up face painting. Her eyes had green circles around them, pink hearts were painted on her cheeks, and two red curves stretched out from the corners of her mouth.

“Now, now my dear, we talked about this. We’re trying some new ideas here,” the filly said to her reflection. “…You know, I get the feeling that our mutual friend was right about…well yes, I know how much fun it is, but there are things we need to procure from those woods. …Ah, now you’re getting it! I’m glad we could reach an understanding. No, no, you look adorable. No, you!” the filly giggled. “Oops, hold that thought dearie. Looks like we have company.”

The filly straightened up and turned around to smirk at Starlight. “You know, it’s quite rude to walk in on someone when they’re changing.”

“What’s…all this about?” Starlight asked as she took in the filly’s appearance.

“To make a good first impression of course! You want me to make friends here in Ponyville, don’t you? I wanna make sure I’m dressed to impress. Especially if I’m meeting the princesses later.”

“You’ve met Princess Twilight already. What makes you think you need to see the other princesses?”

The filly smirked at her. “What? You’re not allowing me to meet with them? That’s doesn’t seem very fair. It shouldn’t matter if they’re princesses. They’re people, just like me, aren’t they? Everyone deserves an equal chance to meet them, wouldn’t you say?”

Starlight frowned. “Only those who are equal themselves are allowed an equal chance in our town. Even if I could let you see the princesses, you certainly wouldn’t do it with your face painted. That sort of thing is reserved for birthday parties.”

“As a matter of fact, there is a birthday I’ll be celebrating soon,” the filly replied. Noticing the glare Starlight was giving her, the filly playfully rolled her eyes and said, “Oh, very well. I’ll wash the paint off. I do so adore this style though, I’m gonna see if Rarity has any more dresses like this one.”

“What happened to the cloaks you bought from her?”

The filly grinned at her. “I haven’t the smoggiest idea where those could be.”

“Don’t you mean ‘foggiest’ idea?”

The filly smirked, reached up, and patted Starlight on the head as if she were the younger pony. “You might want to avoid looking in fireplaces for the next few days. Just a suggestion of course.”

Rarity knocked on the open door before she walked into the room. “How do they fit darling? Are they too – whoa!”

The filly grinned at Rarity’s wide eyed expression. “Hi there dearie! Tell me, how do I look? I want your honest opinion now!”

Rarity forced a smile. “You look…wonderful.” The equal mark on her flank pulsed as she said that.

The filly titled her head and asked, “Why does it do that?” Before either of them could ask what she meant, the filly pointed at the equal mark. “Every once in a while I see those equal signs flash a little. Why, just this morning Miss Pinkie Pie’s mark looked like it was throwing a hissy fit!”

“He he he! Hissy fit! Good one!” Pinkie Pie said as she walked over and gave the filly a hoof bump.

Rarity and Starlight both did a double take. “Pinkie Pie? Where’d you come from?”

Pinkie giggled. “I was hiding under that pile of old dresses.”

The filly grinned at them. “Isn’t she just delightful?” Starlight felt a shiver run down her spine at the sight of the two pink-haired ponies. Their grins were…identical. And not in a way she was comfortable with.

Rarity gasped. “Pinkie Pie…you’re smiling again.”

The mark on Pinkie’s flank pulsed. Her smile faded a little, but it didn’t disappear completely. “I guess so.”

“Now see here? That. Why does it keep doing that?” the filly asked as she pointed at the equal mark.

“Sometimes a pony’s troublesome talent has a way of lingering even after a pony has accepted our philosophy. Equality’s blessing works to remove the traces of false promises from a cutie mark,” Starlight explained. She frowned as she said, “However, I’ve never heard of equality’s blessing having a ‘hissy fit’ as you say. What do you mean by that?”

Pinkie shrugged. “Oh, I think it was just my Pinkie sense.”

“What’s a Pinkie sense?” Starlight asked.

“A sixth sense that tells me when there’s danger nearby. For the past two weeks or so, I’ve had shivers going down my spine every time this filly here has smiled at me. Can’t remember why though. We were talking this morning about a birthday party and she was…he, he, he!” Pinkie giggled. “She was telling me like, the best jokes I’ve ever heard! You crack me up, little filly!”

“Aw Pinkie, you flatter me! Come here you!” the filly said as she gave the pink mare a hug. Over Pinkie’s shoulder, the filly smirked at Starlight. “Why so angry, little star? I promise I’ll be cracking you up very soon.”

Starlight glared at her. “I’m not angry. I’m just curious how you came to be friends with Pinkie so fast. Especially since you’re still not equal.”

Pinkie let go of the filly and walked over to pat Starlight on the head. “Aw, there, there. It’s okay to be a little jealous sometimes.”

“Jealous?! Why would I be jealous of her?!” Starlight snarled.

The filly shrugged. “Like you just said, you’re curious as to how I became friends with Pinkie so fast. She’s been avoiding me since I got here, but a few hours spent together and we’re smiling and laughing like old pals. From what she’s told me, you’ve spent a little quality time with her too and yet poor little Pinkie hasn’t been her normally cheerful self. It’s perfectly understandable why you might feel jealous…left out. Just think of what could have possibly happened between us that changed things so drastically!”

The filly proudly held up one hoof as if she was lecturing Starlight. “Well, here’s something that oughta put a smile back on your face. One thing you taught me about equality has managed to…worm…its way into my head,” the filly said, giggling at the word worm. “Friendship is built upon what you have in common. Sure, I disagree with everything else you do but I can agree to that! So you should be happy to know that I have decided to find common ground with the ponies of Ponyville.”

The filly pointed at Rarity and Pinkie. “Take these two lovely ladies here! I knew right away that I could get along with Pinkie given the right opportunity. So after a brief chat with Mr. and Mrs. Cake, I visited her this morning and asked her if she could craft a special birthday cake for a dear friend of mine. A lengthy conversation latter and we’re the best of buddies! Speaking of cakes…?”

Pinkie smiled and pulled out a small cupcake from her mane. The filly took a bite out of the cupcake, rolling the flavour around in her mouth. “Meh. Needs more sugar. I don’t mean to criticize you Pinkie but this cake is meant for a very special person.”

“No problem! I won’t stop until I get it right!” Pinkie said with a salute.

“Atta girl! Now as for you Miss Rarity, I think I’ve made it quite clear that I share your love for artistry! Why, just look at this adorable little creature!” The filly spun around to face the mirror again and winked at it. “A girl with a passion! Rather eccentric with fashion! But look in the mirror and the picture is quite…”

The filly paused for a second before she smashed her hoof into the mirror, smiling as the glass cracked.

“Smashing!” the filly giggled.

The other ponies stared at her in shock. “Darling! Are you hurt? Why would you do that?!” Rarity cried as she rushed to the filly’s side.

“Aw, don’t be sad! I know how to pull my punches. See? Not a scratch!” the filly said as she showed off her hoof. “Besides, I didn’t like the way she was looking at me.” She smirked at Starlight and said, “I’m sure you understand what that’s like.”

“No! I don’t understand anything you do!” Starlight snapped.

The filly grinned. “Don’t worry. You will soon enough.” She turned to Rarity and said, “But back to the question I was asking. Now, I’ve learned why Pinkie’s equal sign was having a hissy fit and I managed to work past that and find common ground. What about you darling? Any idea why I saw a pulse when I asked you what you thought of my dress?”

Rarity fidgeted uncomfortably. “Well…to tell you the truth darling, I’m not a fashionista anymore. I’ve accepted equality’s blessing but now…I can’t tell if your dress is good or bad.”

The filly smiled patiently. “That’s the point dearie! Fashion is just another form of art. And art is subjective! It’s opinionated! Only you can decide if the skin you’re wearing looks good! And despite my disagreement with that mirror, I’m happy with how I look.” She smirked at Rarity and Starlight. “Can you say the same?”

Before Rarity could reply, Starlight spoke up. “In our town we’re all happy with the opinion we share. Different opinions only lead to bitterness and misery.”

The filly grinned at her. “Then how come I’m not miserable?”

“Well, you did just break a mirror for no reason. Normal ponies don’t really do that,” Pinkie pointed out. “That’s seven years of bad luck.”

The filly smirked. “Notice how the expression never states who receives said bad luck. I’ve broken my fair share of mirrors and the misfortune that followed never came back to bite me. Speaking of fortune, I find it hard to believe that you’re no good with fashion, Miss Rarity. How else could you become one of Equestria’s famous designers? Just look at your past clientele! Pop stars, nobles, celebrities…”

The filly paused as she spotted a dress that had been lying in the pile of clothes. She walked over to the pile in the corner and plucked out several strands of dark blue hair.

“…Alicorn royalty.” The filly grinned as she began to comb through the dress, pulling out more strands of blue hair and fur. “He, he, he! Funny, furry, whirly, blurry,” she sang as she took the blue hair and stuffed it inside one of her skirt’s pockets before zipping it up.

Starlight groaned, rubbing her aching head as she watched the goofy filly. “What is wrong with you?”

“Aw, am I bugging you?” The filly playfully sighed. “Well, I know when I’m not wanted. I’ll get out of your manes…now that I’ve found the one I was looking for.” The filly smiled up at the clock on the wall before she walked to the other side of the room and opened the window. “Ooh, perfect timing! It looks like my ride’s here anyway.”

Rarity raised an eyebrow. “Ride?”

The filly grinned as she took a running leap and jumped straight out the window. “Wheeeeeee, eh he, he, ha, ha, ha!”

“No!” The three mares exclaimed as they ran to the window.

But rather than a filly with broken bones on the ground, the three of them were surprised to see the filly tightly clinging to Rainbow Dash. “What?! Hey! Get off!”

“…What?!” Starlight growled. She ran away from the window, down the stairs, and out of Rarity’s house, fuming all the way. Once outside she quickly reached the filly, who was standing next to a bewildered Rainbow and Applejack. “Are you insane?!”

The filly grinned up at her. “You’d be surprised how often I hear that.”

“No I wouldn’t!” Starlight snarled. Pinkie and Rarity came running behind her, but slowed down at the sight of the furious pony.

“Whoa! Easy there, Starlight,” Rainbow said. “Look, whatever happened I’m sure we can work it out. We’re all friends, right?”

“But she’s not your friend! She’s not equal yet! She can’t be friends with anyone!” Starlight screamed.

Applejack stared at her. “Sugarcube, what’s gotten into you? I’ve never seen you this mad before!”

“She just jumped out a window! That doesn’t bother you?!” Starlight asked.

“Ah, come on! Who hasn’t jumped out a window around here?” the filly asked. “Because whoever that is, they need to get out more.”

Applejack and Rainbow stared at the bizarre filly, finally noticing her face paint. “Uh, sugarcube? Why are you dressed like a rodeo clown?” Applejack asked.

The filly grinned at her. “You like rodeo clowns? Me too!”

Applejack chuckled a little. “Well shoot, course I like rodeo clowns. Who doesn’t like a pony willing to make a fool of themselves to entertain folks?”

“Oh, I completely agree. Those poor clowns are highly underrated if you ask me. Of course, I appreciate just about anyone who can put on a good show.” The filly turned to Rainbow. “Speaking of good shows, I hear you’re quite the showstopper yourself.”

“W-where’d you hear that?” Rainbow asked, blushing a little.

“A few friends of mine. Not to mention this little thing, ooh what was it called again…” the filly playfully tapped her chin in thought. “Oh yeah! A newspaper!”

“You’ve…read about me?” Rainbow asked, smiling a little.

“Darling, I’ve read up on all your friends! All the wild adventures this town goes through! Ever since Gabby Gums, I’ve been looking into everything noteworthy in Ponyville in my spare time. Oh, I hope it’s not too much to ask but…how about a race?”

Rainbow grinned at the filly, before a glare from Starlight made her pause. Her smile fading away, Rainbow sighed and said, “Sorry little buddy but…in our town, we dare not compete. Winning only breeds the worst ego-filled conceit.”

The filly shrugged. “Don’t want to race? That’s alright dearie. Wanna fight?”

“Fight?” Rainbow chuckled weakly. “Good one, little filly.”

The filly smirked. “Do I look like I’m joking? Now, I don’t mean a serious fight. Just one between friends. Basically what will happen is that I will kick your teeth in and you’ll find a way to be okay with that.”

Rainbow blinked in shock, taking a step back. “Are…are you serious?”

The filly giggled. “Nah. That one was a joke.” She sighed and said, “Still, it is rather disappointing. I’ve heard stories about the legendary weather mare, the master of the Sonic Rainboom. Now that I finally meet you, you seem so…dull. So drained. As if something sucked out all the fun in you.” She glanced at Starlight and muttered, “Wonder who that could’ve been.”

“Hey! I’m not dull!” Rainbow argued.

“Oh but haven’t you heard? Everyone in this town is just as dull as you are so there’s nothing to be hopelessly ashamed of. You’re no better than anyone else, isn’t that what you keep saying Starry?” Before Starlight could argue, the filly spoke up again. “Although now that I’ve got more ponies to compare, I have to point out…you don’t seem that dull Starlight.”

Starlight blinked in confusion and annoyance. “What are you babbling about now?”

“Your coat, my dear. Your mane and tail, my glimmering star. Everybody in town seems so dull and grey. But you seem a lot more…energetic and colourful. Your short fuse is evidence enough of that.” The filly smirked at her. “What makes you different, I wonder?”

Starlight growled. “Nothing. I’m no better than anyone else.”

“If you say so,” the filly giggled before she turned to Rainbow. “So sorry for putting you in the spotlight like that Miss Dash. I thought you’d enjoy that sort of thing but I suppose things can change. The reason I ask you these questions is that I am simply searching for common ground between us. If you don’t want things to get…physical, what would you suggest?”

Rainbow shrugged. “Um, I dunno. I…I like Daring Do…”

“You like books?!” the filly exclaimed, a huge grin on her face. “Ooh, I love books! Adventures galore!” She glanced at Starlight before she whispered in Rainbow’s ear. “And just between us, I heard there might be a new Daring Do book coming out today.”

“What?!” Rainbow exclaimed.

“Well, it could just be a rumor but you never know! Race you to the library?”

“I…I…” Rainbow nervously glanced at Starlight. “I…c-can’t race you. Winning only breeds the worst ego-filled-”

“Oh, that’s fine. I understand. But tell you what, since I’m feeling generous when I beat you to the library and read the book before you, I’ll spoil the whole story silly for you. How’s that sound?”

Rainbow gasped. “You wouldn’t!”

The filly’s only response was a mischievous grin before she took off in a blur of speed, laughing all the way to Twilight’s castle.


Sometime later, Starlight had managed to catch up to Twilight’s castle. She had ordered the other ponies to stay behind and get on with their days. Quite frankly, if she had a choice she wouldn’t put up with the crazy filly’s motor mouth either. But she decided to be a good friend and make sure the filly wasn’t tormenting Twilight. She walked inside and soon found Princess Twilight in the library.

The alicorn gave her a weary smile. “Looking for the filly? She’s energetic, I’ll give her that. Quite the bookworm too. I had to ask her to wash the paint off her face before she started literally burying her face in our all books.” She pointed at the filly, who was flipping through dozens of books and singing at the top of her lungs.

“From every single sight I’ve seen!
To every song I’ve heard!
If knowledge is power, then I am Queen!
Due to all the secrets I’ve learned! Bwa ha, ha, ha!”

Not too far away from the filly, Rainbow was frantically shuffling through a pile of Daring Do books. “Hey! None of these are new! You tricked me!”

The filly didn’t even bother to look up from her book. “Course I did. But hey, Pinkie told me you loved a good prank.”

“Wha…? But you…and I…” Rainbow sighed before she gave her a smirk. “Kid, you are so random.”

“Aw, thank you Miss Dash!”

Rainbow sighed again before flapped her wings and flew towards the exit. “Well, you have fun kid. See you later Twilight, Starlight.”

Twilight smiled at the filly as she continued to flip through books. “She’s not so bad when you get to know her.” The princess yelped as Starlight grabbed one of her wings. “Ow! Starlight, what’s wrong?”

“What’s wrong?! What’s wrong is that you’re all being far too friendly with her,” Starlight growled.

Twilight blinked in confusion and a little fear. “B-but…don’t you want us to be friends with her?”

“True friendship can only be achieved when we’re all equal. When there is nothing separating you from your friends. That filly is completely separated from reality! She’s living in a dream world and she’s so delirious she can’t even understand how much she’s suffering!” Starlight ranted.

“Starlight. Starlight! Calm down!” At Princess Twilight’s pleading, Starlight sighed and let her go. “What’s gotten into you? You’re not usually this angry.”

Starlight groaned and rubbed her aching head. “Sorry. It’s just…it’s been a long day and this filly is very irritating.”

Twilight glanced back at the filly, who was smiling innocently. “Well…I don’t want to argue with you Starlight but you have to remember that she’s just a kid.”

Starlight sighed. “You’re right. She’s nothing more than an energetic kid with an overactive imagination. However, I have plans to enroll her in school and crush that rebellious spirit of hers. We’ll see how chatty she is then.”

Twilight opened her mouth to say something, but both ponies were interrupted by a loud smack. They turned around to see the filly, grinning madly at the large book that she had slammed against the table. The filly’s entire body was twitching and she was panting as if she has just run a marathon.

“Um…are you okay?” Twilight asked as the filly continued to droll over the book in her hooves.

“Honey…I’m fantastic. Neh heh, heh, he, ha, ha, ha!” The filly barely managed to get control over her giggles before she closed the book and showed it to Twilight. “I’d like to borrow this book please.”

“Oh um, of course. Just remember to return it after three weeks.”

As the filly ran off to another shelf, Starlight frowned suspiciously. “What book did you just give her?”

Twilight shrugged. “A copy of Botanical Legends. I don’t know why she’s so excited about a book of rare plants, but it’s always nice to see a young filly interested in literature.”

“I think that’ll be all for today, Princess Twilight. Thank you most kindly for this,” the filly said as she walked past them. The filly paused for a second before she turned around and gave a book to Starlight. “You know, something tells me that you might find this book interesting.”

Starlight raised an eyebrow at the cover. “The Adventures of Doctor Worm? This book was designed for your reading level little one, not mine.”

“Well, it’s not so much the book as it is the creature,” the filly explained. “Funny story, but for some reason I’m really fascinated by snakes and worms and similar creatures. Absolutely none of my friends understand that reason and frankly neither do I. But there’s something about the…wriggling…the slithering…the motion they make as they dig deep inside the ground.” The filly giggled as she made her way towards the exit.

“A creature can worm its way into a book…into your heart…and into your head.”