• Published 28th Jul 2015
  • 3,371 Views, 361 Comments

The Singing Heart - Toonsgirl



When Queen Celestia sent Fluttershy to be a nanny to King Discord's five daughters, Fluttershy was thrilled because she had lost her first job. But cold-hearted Discord and the little naughty princesses were estranged with each other. Can Fluttershy

  • ...
9
 361
 3,371

Chapter 20: Promising to help

Author's Note:

I said I would post the second part of the previous chapter so here it is! I titled Pqromising to help instead of A Scandal part 2!? because Discord realized he jumped to conclusions and Mothball did not try to ruin Screwball at all.Hope you like this chapter!

The chimera and the little changeling sat next to each other on one of the beds. For two hours, Mothball told Discord everything that happened from the beginning (he left out his crush on Screwball). Discord was so shocked and dumbfounded that he fell off one of the beds! Discord helped himself up.

"I never expected Starlight to stoop that low!" the ruler uttered in an angry and shocked tone. "Do you know where she took your parents?"

"No, your majesty, I don't know!" Mothball murmured sadly. "But it's probably someplace horrible! That is why I came to you. I was hoping that you maybe you could help me find them or something."

"As much I want to I can't," Discord sighed unenthusiastically.

"What? Why?" Mothball gasped, his jaw dropping.

"Because I don't know myself where the Countess is taking your family and other non-ponies!"

"But Screwball says you have great power! Regardless of the unknown location, surely, you can track them down, can't you?" the teenager pleaded.

"Son, I wouldn't call my power, great," the king muttered, thinking back to his wife's passing.

"Why?" Mothball asked confused.

"Never mind that! The point is because the whereabouts of your parents are unknown, it would be difficult for me to find them," Discord explained coldly.

"But I need to know if they are okay! Please, your majesty! I really need your help! I have never been seperated from my family before and it scares me!" The boy emphasized. His lip trembled and his eyes grew big and wide.

Discord sighed, feeling pity for the boy. He couldn't imagine being separated from his daughters. "Very well, I...suppose it would not hurt to check every part of Equestria."

"Or you could try the process of elimination!" a certain pink pony chimed in.

"Or try the process o-a-a-a-Aaah!" the King screamed and quickly flashed Mothball back into the closet. His eyes were wide in shock at the sight of his assistant cook. "Miss Pinkie Pie! What are you doing in here?"

"Well, Applejack was still feeling so sad about her missing apple pie, so I decided to hunt for it! While I was sniffing for the missing pie my pinkie sense tickled me, and it guided me to this very room!" the assistant cook chirped cheerfully.

"But-But-But-I locked the door! H-H-How did you get in?" his majesty stammered.

"I opened it," a southern drawl answered. Discord swished his head and dropped his jaw when saw his cook standing in the doorway with a key in her mouth. "We all have keys to every room, remember your majesty?"

"Curses!" Discord grumbled, slapping himself on the forehead. How could he forgot that his staff has access to all rooms for cleaning? A ruffling sound was heard from the closet. The king tried to keep the door from opening but it bursted open as Mothball came tumbling out again. This time the boy bumped his head with Discord. They both let out an "OW!" and held their heads.

"Will you stop tossing me into the closet like that!?" Mothball complained.

"Will you stop falling out of there!?" Discord snapped.

"Oooooh!" Pinkie awed staring at the little black figure. Excited at seeing a creature she had never seen before, the pony scooped Mothball into her fore arms.

"Miss Pinkie Pie!" Discord cried. He reached out to stop her but Pinkie got out of the way with Mothball, causing him to fall face flat on the floor, instead.

"Look Applejack, I found a baby alien!" the pink pony chirped, holding Mothball for her friend to see.

Discord slapped his talon on his forehead and ran it down on his muzzle. Perfect. Now two of his servants know!

"I'm not a baby alien!" Pinkie's victim snapped. "I am seventeen years old!"

Pinkie Pie sniffed Mothball, which creeped him out.

"He smells like apples!" she smiled, oblivious to the boy's uncomfortableness.

Applejack spotted the half-eaten apple pie on the floor. She looked between the refugee and her dish. Her eyes narrowed at Mothball and inched her hoofsteps toward him in a quiet but deathly manner.

"Boy, how did you get hold of my pie?"

"I...hehe, disguised myself as the pink pony here, snuck in, and...took the pie," Mothball smiled sheepishly.

Discord folded his arms and snorted as he rolled his eyes.

"That was dumb. Especially For somepony who tried to stay hidden. All. The. time!"

"Hey, I was hungry!" the colt snapped, almost forgetting who he was addressing.

"Don't talk to me in that tone, mister!" the monarch barked.

"Boy, I don't mind if you need a snack, but I would have appreciated it, if you had just asked!" the cook chastised. "I was saving that pie for the princesses!"

"Sorry!" Mothball apologized, meekly.

"Aw, that's okay!" Pinkie Pie piped, patting the teen on the head. "Nopony can resist Applejack's famous apple dishes! And we can always make more!"

The colt relaxed and smiled a little, touched by Pinkie's forgiving and upbeat nature.

The assistant cook turned her focus from the boy to his majesty. "So how did this baby alien get in here, anyway?"

Mothball made a face and let out an annoyed sigh.

"Not a baby alien! And I'm right here, you know!"

Discord gulped and smiled sheepishly. He had hoped that neither of his servants would ask him that question! Because his cook was very good at reading when ponies lie, the king had to answer in a way that would not come out as a lie.

"Oh, he...snuck into the castle, because he...was running away! He had been hiding in this room because it was big and cozy! Besides, he figured you would not look for a boy in a girls' room, hehe!"

"Were the girls here?" Applejack pressed on. She had a suspicious look in her eyes.

"No, of course not!" Discord quickly fibbed, sweating. His daughters were not present so Applejack wouldn't notice, right?

The orange earth pony gave him a hard look. She could read him whenever he was lying or not, which sometimes scared Discord.

The king tried to act innocent as if he had not said anything that was the opposite of the truth. However, his cook's stern look became harder. The longer she stared at him, the more sweaty the king became. When Applejack gnashed her teeth and growled, that was when the sovereign could not take it anymore.

"Okay, okay, one of them was here!"

"What!?" Applejack and Pinkie cried. The king quickly tied handkerchieves around their mouths. "Shush, do you want the whole world to hear you? I don't want gossip to be spreading around! If word gets out, my daughter will be ruined!"

Applejack and Pinkie Pie untied the handkerchieves from their mouths. They gave their king a look of sympathy. It was bad enough that the princesses, who had been locked away for years, could not defend themselves when ponies gossiped about their pranks on former nannies. What are the chances that they would be able to stand up for themselves if the town heard about Mothball?

"You have our word, your majesty," Applejack assured him, with a soft smile.

"Yeah, Pinkie Promise! Cross my heart, hope to fly, stick a cupcake in my eye!" the pink pony vowed. She also literally sticked a lemon cupcake in her eye.

(Applejack and the boys had no idea where Pinkie Pie got the cupcake from.)

Discord smiled and nodded at the girls. He turned to the boy.

"You'll be sleeping with me in my room so it'll be proper."

"Well...okay," Mothball replied in a hesitant voice. The teen understood why he had to be moved, he's frowning that he won't be able to see Screwball very often. Maybe he could see her during Miss Fluttershy's lessons? "So, you said you'll help me?"

"Yes, here's what we are going to do," the Draconian king explained."Tomorrow, we will get up and track down your family on every part of Equestria. My teleportation will help us get around quickly, so we can get this done in a day."

"Your majesty, how are you going to find the boys' parents, when he is a refugee?" Applejack inquired, feeling apprehensive.

"She's right!" Pinkie Pie squeaked. "You have to watch out for that mean countess and her minions!"

Discord turned to Mothball.

"You can disguise yourself, right?"

"I sure can!" the boy smirked. He transformed into a purple colored colt with orange hair and amber eyes.

"That'll do!" Discord approved, smiling proudly.

"Does anypony else know about you, besides me, AJ, His higness and her little highness?" Pinkie asked, smiling big at the boy.

"Yeah, there's Miss Fluttershy-"

"Fluttershy?!" the king asked himself before his eyes widened, as if he forgot something. "Hold on, I need to talk to her!" He wasted no time, snapping his paw, and flashing out of sight.

"Talk to her about what?" Pinkie wondered, looking confused.

Mothball winced at her question.

"Well...,"

"Wait, don't tell me. Were they fighting again?" Applejack interrupted him in a serious voice.

Mothball nodded with a sad expression.

"Oh boy...," the cook sighed, facehoofing. She had thought things were going so well between them.


Screwball had followed Fluttershy into her room, after the fight. The youngest four princesses had teleported to her room because they did not know where Fluttershy had dissappeared. While chasing her, Scootaloo was just about to tap Fluttershy on the back, when all of the sudden, a bright flash came. As soon as Fluttershy disappeared, Scootaloo lost her balance and fell on the ground, face flat. Her sisters had helped her up and gazed around. to while playing tag. Now they are gathered around Fluttershy on her bed. Their nanny had told the girls (except Screwball) what had happened with Mothball. After telling her tale, Fluttershy curled up into a ball and sobbed with tears cascading down from her eyes. Angel was sitting on top of Fluttershy's head and patting her mane to calm her down.

"Don't cry, Miss Fluttershy," Screwball soothed, patting her nanny on her forearm.

"It's okay," Sweetie Belle murmured, not liking seeing the pegasus upset.

"Oh I messed up everything!" Fluttershy wept.

"No, you didn't! You made a little mistake!" Screwball assured her in a gentle tone. "Dad just blew a little bit of a scoche, that's all."

"More like a lot of scoches!" Fluttershy cried. She sniffled, wiping her tears away. "And besides, my mistake was big! What if I ruined you?"

There was a look of shock and sadness on Screwball. The heir had never thought of that! She looked down on at the bed and sighed.

"Well...I...I...I can always give up my title."

"No, Screwy!" Fluttershy gasped after looking up at her student. "I don't want you to give up your title because of me!"

"Did you get...sacked?" Sweetie Belle gulped nervously.

"No," Fluttershy answered. "But I should leave anyway!" She got off her bed and grabbed her suitcase to begin packing, much to the princesses' horror.

"No, no, no, please don't go!"

The nanny turned her head to them at the sound of their pleading. Her heart sank when she saw their eyes watering their lips trembling.

"I have to go. I'm not fit to be your nanny," she said sadly.

"Sure you are, Miss Fluttershy!" Apple Bloom cried.

"Please stay!" Sweetie Belle begged.

"You're the only nanny we like!" Screwball reasoned.

"If you leave, who is going to give us singing lessons?" Babs Seed questioned, trying to persuade her governess.

"Or play games with us?" Scootaloo added.

Fluttershy did not know what to think. She felt as if she were to blame by really blowing things up. Her eyes formed a new set of tears and began crying.

"Oh girls, I don't know, I really did it this time! Just when I thought I was doing the right thing, it blows up in my face!"

Her weeping stopped when she felt herself being enveloped by the little princesses in a group hug. The pegasus was surprised at the gesture at first, but calmed down a little. She began to feel a bit better at their sense of comfort.

Just then a knock was heard on the door.

Screwball used her magic to make the door swing open. She and the girls were surprised to see their father standing in the doorway.

"Hello...," the king uttered, waving awkwardly. He still stood at the doorway, rubbing the back of his neck with his paw. Discord knew what to say to Fluttershy, he just did not expect her to be accompanied by his daughters, except Screwball. He took a deep breath. "This is not easy for me to say-"

He was cut off when the girls dashed to him at his feet.

"Dad, you're not gonna fire Miss Fluttershy, are you?" Apple Bloom yelped, looking up at him.

"Please don't fire her!" Sweetie Belle begged, hugging her father's feet.

"I'm not going to send Fluttershy away!" Discord barked in annoyance.

The girls got off his feet.

Discord made eye contact with the timid and shy pegasus. "I just came to say...I'm sorry."

The princesses' jaws dropped to the floor. Was their father apologizing to a servant? That's something they didn't see every day!

"Mothball told me the whole story," the king continued. "It was stupid of me to go crazy at you earlier. I should have listened to you before drawing conclusions. You did nothing wrong, you were just looking out for the boy's safety."

Fluttershy listened attentively. Her tears had stopped running and felt warmth in her heart. She smiled, touched by Discord's apology.

"I understand if you don't forgive me, but I just want to you let you know that I still want you here," the king finished concluded, sweating. He began to make an exit.

"Your highness, wait!" Fluttershy said, stopping him. She flew over to him and placed her hoof in his talon. "I forgive you. I'm the one who should be apologizing. I should have thought of a better place for Mothball to hide without embarrassing the girls."

"No matter," Discord said, waving his paw as if it didn't matter to him.

"So, she's staying?" Babs Seed asked dumbly.

"What do you think?" Scootaloo sassed at her.

"All right, Dad!" Sweetie Belle squealed, happily.

"Hooray! Hooray! Hooray!" Children bounced around an annoyed ruler and an amused nursemaid.

"Stop parading around me! I'm not a statue!" their dad snapped.

The children stopped bouncing but still surrounded the adults.

"Dad, what about Mothball?" the eldest princess inquired. She had almost forgotten about him and prayed that her father did not do anything rash with him.

"He'll be sleeping in my room tonight," her father replied, with a small smile. "Tomorrow I'll help him find his family."

"Oh thank you, father! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you!"

Screwball and her sisters were so delighted that they embraced Discord.

"Not so tight!" Discord gasped.

Fluttershy giggled, glad that her boss did the right thing.


Chrysalis opened her eyes and felt something soft and comfortable.

"Hey, where am I?" she asked herself, confused. The changeling sat up and looked around her surrounding. The room had black walls, a vanity mirror, a dresser and a shower room. The noblemare was in her chambers. "Oh horse droppings! I have to get him be with me more next time! The more he spends time with me, the sooner he'd forget about them!" Chrysalis growled, her eyes glowing green.