• Published 28th Jul 2015
  • 3,371 Views, 361 Comments

The Singing Heart - Toonsgirl



When Queen Celestia sent Fluttershy to be a nanny to King Discord's five daughters, Fluttershy was thrilled because she had lost her first job. But cold-hearted Discord and the little naughty princesses were estranged with each other. Can Fluttershy

  • ...
9
 361
 3,371

Chapter 11: Going outside

Fluttershy looked up from the schedule and saw that the children were giving her odd looks. They had been waiting for her to speak and she hadn't said a word, yet.

"What's wrong, Miss Fluttershy?" Screwball asked. "Are you going to teach or what?" The heir had her forehooves crossed and swirling eyes narrowed. Even though she had warmed up to Fluttershy a bit, she still wished that she was spending time with her secret friend, Mothball, instead of sitting in the stuffy and old study room! Fluttershy put the schedule down, her face seemed to be in thought.

"Actually...., She pondered for a moment. "Why don't we go outside?"

The little princesses blinked. Was their nanny serious? They are not going to do lessons!?

"Huh, outside!?" Sweetie Belle squeaked. Either she was dreaming or Fluttershy was crazy!

"Yes, look outside!" Fluttershy chirped, referring to the sun rays shining down from the window. "It's a beautiful day don't you think? We can't waste this day away by sitting in this room all day!"

"Ugh, don't tell me we're going to do marching!" Scootaloo grumbled, crossing her forehhooves. She beleived that Fluttershy was trying to pull some kind of trick on them. She and her other sisters better keep an eye on her!

"Oh no, we're not going to do any marching," Fluttershy smiled with her eyes closed. "We are going to do something called 'Recess.'" Looks of surprises appeared on each princess' face. They really must be dreaming!

"'Recess', what's that!?"

Fluttershy's face fell a little. The children don't know what recess is?
"Well...," She thought out loud, trying to figure out how to explain the term. "Recess is when you can frolic around and play any game you like such as hopscotch, hide-and-seek, tag...It's like playtime!"

"Ah!" The children understood.

"So do you children have a place where we can play like a courtyard or garden?" The buttercream pegasus inquired.

"We do have a big garden," Screwball answered.


"Welcome to our garden!" Screwball shouted, jumping into the air, as confetti and streamers poofed out from her hooves. Fluttershy's eyes widened. The garden was...not quite what she had expected. The lawn had yellow and brittle grass. It looked as if it hadn't been cared for in years! The plants also looked dead. Some have lost their leaves, others' leaves had gone all brown. When Fluttershy hovered over to make see if the plants still have life in them, she was shocked that their stems and roots were all either brittle or mushy. There were also flowers that have withered away due to neglect. There were prickly weeds growing all over the garden! A couple of trees have fungi on their trunks. Other trees were also barren. Fluttershy felt as if she had stepped into Tartarus! How could these princesses play in something that looks like a dump!?

"Apple Bloom, do any of the trees grow apples?" Fluttershy asked, observing one barren tree.

"No, Miss Fluttershy," Apple Bloom answered, looking at the same tree. Not that she was aware of how lowly the garden looked, but she was embarrassed that their Apple tree no longer bear any fruit.

"Then where does Miss Applejack get her apples from?"

"AJ buys apples from the marketplace," Apple Bloom said. "Sometimes, she receives apples from her farm family during harvest season." Her eyes looked a bit sad as she faced Fluttershy. "You don't like our garden, right?"

"No, I do!" Fluttershy assured her, quickly. "It's just that..., She sighed and took a deep breath. "I can't help but notice how different it looks compared to the fields and other gardens." Apple Bloom perked up a bit with interest.

"What do they look like, Miss Fluttershy?"

"Well, they have wide open spaces, lots of trees, lots of grass, cool green grass! They also have lots of flowers, open skies, and some animals and critters!" Fluttershy explained, her eyes sparkling brighter than Queen Luna's stars.

"What kind of animals love in the forests?" Sweetie Belle asked, happily.

"All kinds of animals!" Fluttershy said, clasping her hooves. "From birds to bees to rabbits!" Her excitement talk of forests became contagious to the children.

"Can we go to the fields?" The children shouted, bouncing up and down. "Can we, can we, can we?"

"Of course!" Fluttershy giggled. "I don't see why not!"

"Yaaaay!" The children cheered.


In the servant' quarters, Sunset and Flash were sitting by a window, reading scrolls and documents. They were reviewing Draconian's laws and bills so they can remind Discord what political moves he can and cannot design. Pinkie Pie waltzed in with a small plate of three cupcakes.

"Snack time!" She rang. Sunset and Flash out down their scrolls and helped themselves to a cupcake.

"Thanks Pinkie!" Sunset smiled.

"Who's the third cupcake for?" Flash asked, scratching his mane.

"Myth elf!" Pinkie Pie muffled, her mouth full of the third cupcake. Sunset playfully rolled her eyes.

"Ooo, lookie here!" Pinkie Pie said, her eyes facing the window. "Miss Fluttershy and the princesses are outside in the garden!"

"We know," Flash nodded. "We saw them while studying. I'm surprised they weren't doing marching at all!"

"Me too!" Sunset remarked. She took another bite of her cupcake, chewed, and swallowed. "I wondered what they came outside to do instead?" This was the first time that somepony had defied King Discord's rules. Pinkie had told her and Flash how Fluttershy and Rarity broke the first rule: letting the children wear anything but navy uniforms. Now they're not marching? Sunset wondered what Fluttershy was up to.

""Ooo lookie here!" Pinkie Pie gasped dramatically. She bumped Sunset and Flash out of the way and pressed her nuzzle onto the window. "Miss Fluttershy and the children are going outside of the place gates!"

"WHAT!?" Flash and Sunset screamed, getting up and pressing their nuzzles to the window.

"She can't do that!" Flash yelped.

"Is she crazy?!" Sunset cried.

They watched in horror as Fluttershy and the children walked toward the village, having already passed the Diamond Dog soldiers.

"Wasn't Rainbow Dash supposed to cover for you?" Pinkie Pie asked, still smiling. Usually whenever Flash had to do some indoor tasks, Rainbow Dash substitutes for him at the castle gates.

"Yes, but she must have have been at her bathroom break!" Flash said, nervously. He could not believe that Fluttershy broke one of the most important rules of Draconia: Never take the Royal children outside of the palace walls.

"Oh no, no, no, no, no..," Sunset hyperventilated, putting her hooves over her mane. "What are we going to do? The King will be angry if he finds out about this! We are so getting to get fired!"

"'We', I thought only Fluttershy will get fired!" Flash yelled, exasperated, throwing his hooves up. Pinkie looked a teeny bit worried too. If Discord knew about this, he would fire Fluttershy for breaking the rules, and would fire her and the staff for not making sure Fluttershy followed the rules! Just then, an idea hit the assistant cook.

"You mean if he finds out!" Pinkie Pie smirked. Sunset abruptly stopped panicking, a weak smile spreading across her face.

""'If' is good!" She giggled, nervously.

"I can go with that, too!" Flash remarked, wincing.

"As long as the King doesn't know, we'll be Oki-Doki-Loki!" Pinkie Pie said in a sing-song voice. Sunset and Flash only hoped that Pinkie was right.

Author's Note:

This chapter was harder to write than I thought it would be! I had trouble coming up with how to have Fluttershy bring the children outside and how to get away with it despite Sunset and Flash. First idea I had was Fluttershy showing them a new map of Equestria, which angered the children because of how small Draconia looked compared to other lands. Fluttershy assured them that Canterlot was smaller. I scrapped it realizing that it made Fluttershy unsympathetic. I also had an idea of Fluttershy teaching the children Draconia's geography and was surprised that they were beyond the lesson. I erased it because it was boring and it wasn't dramatic. I had written a short sequence of Fluttershy and the kids playing tag in the garden but I crossed it out because I felt it slowed down the story. Another idea I had was Sunset and Flash trying to stop Fluttershy from taking thr children outside, but it wasn't working out. I was advised by a friend to make Fluttersy be firmer about the children getting more playtime and make Sunset and Flash more nervous which led me to write the last scene of the chapter that appeared in final print.
Hope you enjoyed the new chapter!