• Published 28th Jul 2015
  • 3,371 Views, 361 Comments

The Singing Heart - Toonsgirl



When Queen Celestia sent Fluttershy to be a nanny to King Discord's five daughters, Fluttershy was thrilled because she had lost her first job. But cold-hearted Discord and the little naughty princesses were estranged with each other. Can Fluttershy

  • ...
9
 361
 3,371

Chapter 9: Bedtimes, Secrets, and Favorite Things part 2 EDITED

Flash Sentry was stationed in the hallway. As he walked past the nursery door, he stopped when he heard a small crash. Flash pressed his ear against the nursery door. The captain could not make it out but it seemed to him that Screwball was talking to somepony. And that somepony had a male voice!? Or was it Babs Seed? He did not know but in a panic, Flash quickly left to find the King. He only hoped it was Babs Seed, not an intruder!


Fluttershy walked out of her personal bedroom, brushing her hair. Angel laid comfortably inside his basket, already dozing off. Dreaming about carrots. The buttercream pegasus smiled that her pet bunny had adapted well to the castle. She did not think Angel would because he was always an outside bunny or preferred to be in the countryside.
"I hope I can adapt well to the castle and its owners," Fluttershy sighed, sadly. She got off on the wrong foot with the Royal Family and the servants except Captain Flash, Miss Applejack, Miss Pinkie Pie, and Miss Rarity. Everything she said, seemed offensive to them. "What can I do to make it up to them?"


"Okay ponies, are you ready to make rain?" Rainbow Dash shouted. She and other three pegasi were standing on top of four big and dark gray clouds.
"Yes Ma'm, Rainbow Dash!" Derpy Hooves and Soarin' saluted.
"YEAH!" Bulk Biceps yelled, flexing his muscles. Rainbow Dash smirked, knowing that the others are just as prepared as she was.
"Then let's get started!" She commanded. The pegasi wasted no time, hopping on each gray cloud, letting raindrops fall down. Soarin was jumping on a cloud that created lightning. Bulk Biceps was using a cloud that made thunder. Rainbow Dash was certain their storm would be a success.


Fluttershy's train of thought was interrupted when a flash of lightning broke out. She squeaked and hid underneath her covers. Fluttershy shivered and stayed underneath her covers. Why must thunderstorms be so loud?
Just then, Fluttershy heard rapid knocking on her door. She got out of her bed and flew over to unlock it.
"Princess Sweetie Belle!" Fluttershy said, surprised. "What's wrong?" There was another flash of lightning, that was so loud, it made Sweetie Belle squeak. The youngest princess ran into Fluttershy's front legs and whimpered. Fluttershy held Sweetie Belle, as she levitated and hovered over to her bed. It is clear to Fluttershy that the storms scared Sweetie Belle because she whimpered every time they heard lightning.
"I hate storms!" Sweetie Belle cried. "They're scary! I want blue skies back!"
"There, there, it's all right," Fluttershy soothed the youngest princess.
"Can I stay with you, Miss Fluttershy?" Sweetie whimpered.
"Of course, you may," Fluttershy said in a gentle voice.
"I wish I wasn't so scared!" Sweetie grumbled.
"It is okay to be afraid," Fluttershy soothed. "Everypony has something that makes them afraid."
"Even my sisters?" Sweetie Belle asked skeptically. Thunder boomed in the sky and three more fillies gallopped into Fluttershy's bedroom.
"Miss Fluttershy, can we stay in your room?" Apple abloom asked, meekly. "The other mares are asleep, Rainbow is out, a Flash is gone, so we have to come to you-"
"Not that we're scared or anything!" Babs Seed, denied, interrupting Apple Bloom. She was about to talk again, when they heard another ear-splitting sound of thunder! Babs Seed, Scootaloo, and Apple Bloom screamed and hastily jumped onto Fluttershy's bed. They scrambled underneath the blankets and shivered.
"Yes, you may," Fluttershy answered, sympathetically. She rubbed her hoof on Apple Bloom's head. "Will Screwball come here, too?"
"Nah, she never gets scared!" Scootaloo replied, her face scrunched in annoyance. "She's too brave!"


Screwball was somewhat a heavy sleeper. She did not notice that her sisters were gone until thunder woke her up. Sitting straight up, she scanned around the nursery.

"Where did they go?"

She started to panic because it wasn't like her sisters to disappear. Screwball jumped out the bed, trying to find them. Before she left, the princess turned to the wardrobe.

"Mothball, I'm going to be out of my room for a while so whatever you do, don't come out until I'm back, okay?"

Mothball pressed his nuzzle to the door to hear.
"Okay, but how sill I know you're back?" Mothball asked, worriedly. "You won't tell any pony I'm here, right?"
"I'll ring my bell, as a signal," Screwball answered, summoning a bell from thin air. "Don't worry, I won't! But I want to know more why you came here tonight tomorrow, Pinkie Promise?"
Mothball blinked in confusion.

"Pinkie Promise?"

"It's something my servant always says whenever she asked us to promise something!" Screwball explained, embarrassed. She was glad Mothball did not see her blushing. "Now Pinkie Promise?"

"Pinkie Promise!" Mothball saluted, chuckling. He found this filly more interesting than ever!


Sweetie Belle looked up at the ceiling, hearing the pitter and patter of rain.

"What are the weather ponies doing up there?"

"Well, they're playing with thunder and lightning," Fluttershy kindly, answered. "One is jumping on a thunder cloud. The other one is playing with lightning!" Sweetie Belle felt tension leave her little body a bit. Hearing how weather works, does not make her feel so scared so much.
"I wish they did not have to be so loud!" Apple Bloom whimpered, shivering. Babs Seed patted her on the back for support.
"Of course they're loud, Apple Bloom!" Scootaloo back talked, ignoring Apple Bloom's glare. "What do you expect?"
"I just wish I wasn't so scared, okay!?" Apple Bloom ranted. Just then, there was a small bright flash. Fluttershy and the children tensed up, thinking it was the king. But it turned out to be Screwball.

"Ah, thank goodness I found you here! Thanks Fluttershy for keeping them safe. Scootaloo, stop picking on Apple Bloom!"

Before the little flightless pegasus could think of another comeback, Babs Seed covered her mouth. Screwball landed on the bed, slowly, sitting between Scootaloo and Apple Bloom.
"Do you know what I do whenever I feel afraid?" She asked, softly. Apple Bloom was piqued with interest.
"No, what do you do?"
"When I get scared, I try to think of things that make me feel happy," Fluttershy answered.
"What kinds of things?" The children chorused.
"Well...," Fluttershy thought out loud. "Monarch Butterflies, bunnies, blue jays, oak trees....."
Children gave small smiles before ducking down due to another sound of thunder.

"Does it really work?" Sweetie Belle asked, excitedly.
"Oh yes!" Fluttershy responded with the same excitement. "Now let's see if you can name your favorite things!"
Sweetie Belle thought for a moment.
"Pink dresses!"
"Apple Pies!" Apple Bloom chirped.
"Scooters!" Scootaloo cried, jumping.
"Hiking!" Babs Seed added.
"Colts!" Screwball cried, happily, remembering Mothball.
"Tulips!" Sweetie Belle shouted.
"Painting!" Apple Bloom yelled, happily.
"No school!" Screwball smirked, magically producing a math textbook and breaking it in half, with ease.
"Jumping on he bed!" Scootaloo cried, jumping higher. Her sisters followed suit. Fluttershy giggled that at the children's giddiness and enthusiasm.
"See, that's how many favorite things you have named!" She beamed once more and resumed to signing.

As she sang, Fluttershy twirled with Screwball, Apple Bloom twirled with Babs Seed, and Sweetie Belle and Scootaloo continued bouncing.

Scootaloo bounced forward and started falling off the bed! The girls gasped. Fluttershy's eyes widened and quickly caught Scootaloo before the child could reach the floor. The others sighed in relief. Scootaloo thanked Fluttershy as she was safely, put down on the floor.
Her eyes were half-closed as she spun around.
"OH!" Suddenly, Fluttershy found herself facing King Discord! Where did he come from? The excitement died down, as the children hastily formed a military line. Blushing at being so close to the King, Fluttershy took a few steps back from him. She hid half of her face behind her mane, not daring to look at the King's angry face.

"Miss Fluttershy, did I not tell you that bedtime is to be observed in this household?"
Discord's voice sent shivers in Fluttershy's spine.
"Y-yes, but the children were frightened of the thunderstorm so they-" Fluttershy realized that she was not making the situation better. Discord's eyes were still as hardened as they were when he entered the room. Fluttershy took a deep breath.

"You did, your highness," she sighed, casting her eyes downward. Discord felt bad for making her a bit sad but he had to show her who is in charge. He retained his stern before he could go soft.

"And do you or do you not have trouble following such simple instructions?" He barked. Fluttershy frowned. She narrowed her eyes and lifted her head a bit, trying to be brave.
"Only during the thunderstorms, your highness."

Scootaloo and Apple Bloom snickered, amused by their nanny's comeback to their father. Discord glared daggers at them.

"Screwball, Flash Sentry told me that he heard you talking to somepony!" He accused. Fluttershy and the other fillies had no idea what Discord was talking about. Screwball grimaced. Oh no, he did not Mothball, did he? She desperately tried to think of a question.

"Um, what do you mean, father?" She asked, feigning innocence. "I was talking to my sisters! One of them!"

"Oh no," King Discord drawled. "According to Flash, he heard a male voice. So who is it?" He did not buy his daughter's lie. She could not fool him, he can tell when somepony was lying. Screwball quickly turned her head to one of her sisters.

"Babs Seed, father," she calmly fibbed. "I was talking to Babs Seed, her voice is just deep for a girl, you know!"
("Hey!" Babs Seed snapped.)
"And what were yo two talking about?" Discord grilled on, his arms crossed. Screwball started to sweat. Thankfully, Fluttershy changed the subject.
"Your highness, it is late!" She said. "The children need to be put into bed. You two can discuss this later!"
"Like he discusses anything with us!" Scootaloo angrily whispered to Apple Bloom. Discord heard that and hid the hurt feelings before he girls could see it. He was not getting anywhere despite, knowing that his firstborn was lying. Then again, hi second child did have a deep voice.

"All right, Screwball," he sighed, calmly. "Perhaps Flash misheard the situation. Back to bed all of you!" He commanded the last part. The children bid good night to Fluttershy and King Discord, as they scampered back to the nursery. Before Discord could take his leave, he directed his eyes at Fluttershy. Her face was still partially hid behind her mane. Discord silently blamed himself for startling her again. He kept his face cool and stern.

"I want to remind you that I will be gone for a week so if you have any questions, Sunset Shimmer and Flash Sentry will aid you," he explained.
"Y-yes, King Discord," Fluttershy stammered, softly. Before Discord could leave, Fluttershy suddenly remembers something.

"Your highness, wait!" She yelped. Discord stopped in his tracks.

"What is it?" He asked.

Fluttershy took another deep breath. "Um, I hope you do not mind but can we order some fabric? I like to make play clothes for the children."
"What would they need the play clothes for?" Discord asked, again.
"For playing!" Fluttershy said, kindly.
"My children do not play, they march!" He said, rudely. Fluttershy's smile started to waver.

"Oh but surely the can take a break from marching and play!" She meekly suggested.
"My answer is clear: No!" Discord growled. He stepped outside, ready to close the door behind him.
"But your highness!" Fluttershy pleaded. "They're your children!"
"Yes...," Discord slowly, said, not understanding her. "And I am thier father. Good night." He left and closed the door. Fluttershy made a very small angry sound. "Oh that stallion is impossible!" She cried to herself, kicking the floor. She sat down on her bed, feeling frustrated. Angel leapt from his basket and and landed on Fluttershy's head, patting it. Then he squeaked to Flutteshy, pointing at the curtains.

"What is it, Angel?"

Fluttershy followed Angel's paw to the curtains. She remembers that Applejack will replace them with brand new curtains. Then, an idea hit Fluttershy.
"Of course!" She whispered, as she stared hard at the curtains. Taking some of the curtains down, Fluttershy felt happy again. Why did she not think of it before?
Now she has material to make play-clothes!

Twilight Sparkle yawned as well as Spike, Cadance, and Shining Armor.
"Well, I don't know about you but I'm feeling bushed!" Shining Armor said, tiredly. Cadance nodded, her eyes looking droopy.
"But what about the...story?" Twilight yawned, again.
"We're not...that sleepy!" Spike denied, failing to stifle his yawn.
"Come on, you two," Cadance giggled, using her magic to put her sister-in-law and dragon in thier respective beds. "We'll read the next chapter tomorrow."
After Cadance and Shining admire also got into bed, they used thier Magic to turn thr lights off. Twilight closed her eyes, slipping into dreamland.

Author's Note:

The characters wear everyday clothes in my story (from casual clothes to straight jackets to ball gowns). The children had been wearing navy uniforms, all along, until Fluttershy decides to make them play clothes.

I changed a few words in the song to fit with the Equestria setting. "Cream colored ponies," sounded weird coming from another pony like Fluttershy so I changed it to
"cream colored puppies." I also changed "girls" to " mares", and "nose," to "nuzzle," because for thr same reason.

Fluttershy and Discord are currently in a "I can't stand you" stage but eventually they will fall in love. Thier relationship will still a challenge for me to write because this is the first time I am writing a couple that has a love-hate relationship. My previous stories featured couples that had love at first sight or were secretly in love with each other. Wish me luck!

Now I am going to bed! GN!

EDIT: I changed "schnitzel" to "barley" because I forgot that it's meat and that horses don't eat meat! Guess I really do not know much about horses! I apologize for scaring you. No they do not eat meat. :facehoof: