• Published 28th Jul 2015
  • 3,371 Views, 361 Comments

The Singing Heart - Toonsgirl



When Queen Celestia sent Fluttershy to be a nanny to King Discord's five daughters, Fluttershy was thrilled because she had lost her first job. But cold-hearted Discord and the little naughty princesses were estranged with each other. Can Fluttershy

  • ...
9
 361
 3,371

Chapter 16: Please Love Them!

A bright white light flashed inside the library. Fluttershy and Discord sat at a small table with two chairs. The buttercream pegasus had lot of butterflies flying around inside her stomach. The King was so intimidating that Fluttershy felt a shiver running down her spine. Fluttershy wanted to turn her head away from him, but at the same time, she couldn't. The nanny had promised that she would brace herself for whatever lecture the King would grant. She's going to try to stick to her promise.

"Miss Fluttershy, what were you and the children doing outside in the woods?" Discord finally, asked with an angry tone. It was clear that he was not pleased that his nanny and children broke the rules. He had a reason those laws were enforced! It was to keep the children safe from ponies who might target this children-just like somepony targeted his late wife.

Fluttershy flinched at his voice, but kept her voice steady.

"We-we thought it would be a good place to have lunch, your majesty," Fluttershy responded, meekly. "After we ate, the girls played baseball, but one of them hit the ball way up in the tree and I had to go up and get it! Oh, I did not know I would be facing a nest of wasps!" Fluttershy twiddled her hooves, her gaze still on Discord.

"What were you thinking? You and the children could have been stung!" he yelled.

"I didn't mean to!" Fluttershy yelped. Discord angrily dangled Scootaloo's head scarf in front of Fluttershy's face.

"And where did you get these silly outfits?" he demanded. "I don't recall asking Rarity to make them!" Even though the children told him Fluttershy made their playclothes, he preferred to hear the story from Fluttershy herself.

"I-I-I made them from my old curtains," Fluttershy stammered, meekly. She continued twiddling her hooves. "The children have been wearing them ever since!"

It took Discord all of his strength not to faint.

"You mean to tell me that my children have been running around Draconia, wearing curtains!?" He roared, throwing the head scarf into the nearby fireplace and setting it on fire. Fluttershy's eyes narrowed at Discord. Why was he acting so ridiculous? Discord had refused to order new fabric, when she had requested. Thus, what choice did she had?

"Mmhmm! And having a marvelous time!" She replied, assertively.

"What made you think these children would wear something so ridiculous? They have uniforms, you know!" Discord barked.

"Straight jackets, if you forgive me," Fluttershy mumbled.

"I will not forgive you for that!" The King snapped.

"Children can't do all things they're supposed to if they have to worry about spoiling thier precious clothes," Fluttershy put her hooves on her loins.

"I haven't heard them complain," The King shrugged, in a careless tone. If his daughters were so displeased with his uniforms, why didn't they say anything?

Fluttershy leaned forward in her seat.

"Well, they wouldn't dare! They love you too much. They fear you too much!"

Discord huffed and clenched his paw and claw into tight fists. He leaned forward trying to intimidate his pretty nanny.

'Okay, stop calling her pretty and focus!' he scolded himself.

"Why are you discussing my children in this manner? Who do you think you are? You're not the parent-I am!" Discord jabbed a finger on his chest. Abruptly, he stood up from his chair and faced the wall, with his arms crossed.

"Well, you have got hear from somepony! You may be the parent but you're never home long enough to know them!" Fluttershy emphasized. She knew she was risking her life raising her voice at the King, but Fluttershy had hoped to talk some sense into him. From what the servants had told her, Discord and the princesses must have been close to each other years ago. Now they have grown apart. Surely it's not too late to bring them close again, right?

Discord slowly turned his head to Fluttershy. His teeth were gnashing and his eyes were on fire. Literally on fire. The sight made Fluttershy shiver.

"Are your ears working? I said I don't want to hear anything about my children!"

Despite her shivering, It took all of Fluttershy's strength to keep her composure. She narrowed her eyebrows.

"I know you don't, but you've got to! Don't you know what they are like? Now take Screwball, for instance."

"You will not say one word about Screwball, Miss Fluttershy." Discord said, hesisitantly, pointing at Fluttershy. He knew what Fluttershy was going to tell him. Screwball's almost going to be sixteen years old. By Equestrian law, that meant she would be of marriageable age! Soon, all princes from Equestria would travel to meet Screwball in hopes of becoming her husband. That was something that Discord dreaded. To him, Screwball is still just a filly! Is she ready for marriage? Besides, how could he be sure that Screwball would find a Prince Charming? What if all the princes turned out to be charmless? He betted that they want Screwball, not for love, but for her wealth and crown!

Despite his shouting and yelling, Fluttershy still refuse to crack.

"She's not a filly anymore, and one of these days, you are going to wake up and find that she's a mare. You won't even know her! And Babs Seed, she's an earth pony with magic she feels insecure because she could not perform it as well as you!"

"Don't you dare tell me about Babs!" Discord barked, taking his horns out and plugging them in his ears. Out of all his daughters, Babs was the weakest at magic and chaos. Discord knew that but he did not know what to do about it! His other daughters were not lucky, either. Scootaloo could not fly at all, even if she tried. Young creatures from his village had given Scootaloo a cruel nickname, "chicken." As a result, Scootaloo would get into fights with them. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle had very limited magic. He was not sure whether they had trouble bringing their magic out or their magic was not fully developed. Even his wife could not understand why Screwball is the only one that was skilled.

Fluttershy flew up and pulled his horns out faster before Discord could grab her hooves. Fluttershy flew backwards and hid his horns behind her back, as Discord tried to grab them from her. Everytime he tried to reach her, Fluttershy would move out of the way.

"Apple Bloom could tell you a lot about Babs if you let her get close to you!" Fluttershy retorted, grinding her teeth.

Discord was not sure how much he could take it. A mental image of Apple Bloom's pleading face, just made his heart break. Shaking the sad feeling off, Discord snapped his fingers and his horns reappeared on his head.

"Miss Fluttershy...," He started, but Fluttershy still went on.

"And Scootaloo pretends she's tough not to show how hurt she is when you brush her aside-"

"That will do!" He did not need to be told twice of Scootaloo's harsh reaction to him!

Discord used his magic to shut Fluttershy's mouth with a cloth. But the pegasus unwrapped the cloth and tossed it away.

"The way you do them all!"

"I said that will do!" Discord shouted. An orange appeared in Fluttershy's mouth. She spit it out in her hooves and tucked it in her dress pocket.

"And Sweetie Belle, just wants to be loved. Oh your majesty, please, please! Love them, love them all!"

That was the last straw! Flashbacks of Sweetie Belle calling out to him as he ignored her, brought tears to his eyes. He wiped his eyes so Fluttershy would not think he was weak. Discord magically zipped Fluttershy's lip with a zipper.

"I don't care to hear anything further from you about my children!"

When he turned away from Fluttershy again, only to walk out of the room, Fluttershy flew up in front of him. Judging from her face, Discord could tell the equine looked angry. Her eyebrows were narrowed and her cheeks were flushing pink. She waved her hooves and made sounds that Discord could not make out. He unzipped her lips.

"What was that?" he asked her, thinking she called him a rude name.

"I'm not finished with you!" Fluttershy yelled.

"Oh yes, you are, Miss Fluttershy!" Discord roared. "Pack your things and return to Canterlot today! I should have known that you would be trouble from the moment I laid my eyes on you!"

Fluttershy felt her eyes watering and her heart sinking. Did the King just fired her!? She could not believe it! She blinked her eyes, so her tears won't fall. She stood up straight and walked toward the door. Her hoof laying on the doorknob, Fluttershy turned to Discord.

"Maybe I said some things in the wrong manner but if you don't love your children, you'll never know what you miss!"

"Then, the pegasus opened the door and left the room. Fluttershy had left in such a haste that she did not notice five little spies in the hallway.

Discord stared at where Fluttershy left, thinking about the last thing she had said to him.

''What did she mean by that? 'You'll never know what you miss?'" he mumbled to himself. "Miss out on what? Oh mares!" the draconequus sighed, throwing his arms up in the air in frustration. "Why must they always be so sentimental? They're so saccharine that it makes me gag!" He sticked his tongue out as he spoke. But an image of Fluttershy's watering eyes appeared in his mind. Discord felt a prick in his heart.'Did..Did I make her cry? Why does this bother me so much? I barely know her!'

Discord froze.

'W-W-what was that? Was that...music!?'

Sunset poked her head through the opening of the door.

"Your majesty, you must come and see this!" she beamed. Sunset teleported her and the King to the living room.

Discord's jaw dropped and his eyes widened! In the center of the living room, stood his five daughters, singing! The music sounded so beautiful and peaceful. The guests and staff sat on the couches and chairs, watching the children.

When the children saw their father, they froze. Discord felt his eyes watering a bit.

"Daddy?" Apple Bloom asked, worriedly. "Are you okay?"

"Did you not like it?" Sweetie Belle asked, sadly.

"I-I-I...LOVE IT!" Discord shouted so loud that confetti bursted from his paw and talon! He teleported to the children and scooped them up in a big hug! The children were startled! They have never dreamed that their father would feel happy again! They relaxed in his hug, trying to enjoy his warmth before it ends. Until now, Discord did not realize how much he missed fun and happiness! And how much his children meant to him! How could he have forgotten about it? He almost did not hear the others stomping their hooves.

"THAT WAS WONDERFUL!" Pinkie cheered so loud that it hurt Rainbow Dash's ears.

"The Draconinan singers rule!" Flash yelled, excitedly.

"Yee-haw!" Applejack hollered. "That was some singing!"

"I have to admit, they were charming!" Lady Chrysalis smiled. It was hard to tell whether her feelings were full of genuine or sarcasm. The Flim-Flam brothers just simply smiled very big. Nopony noticed the four bit signs going off in their eyes. Or huddling together and whispering to each other.


Fluttershy wiped her tears from her eyes as she put her clothes in her suitcase. When Fluttershy had left the library, she felt like crying but had held back her sobs because she did not want the King to see her cry. In her bedroom, Fluttershy felt free to let her tears loose. Angel sat on top of head and stroked her mane.

"Oh Angel, I really blew it this time!" she sobbed. She took a tissue from her pocket and wiped her eyes.

When Angel peeped about wanting to tell the King off, Fluttershy reminded him that it would be disrespectful.

"It is best if we go now, before the girls see us," Fluttershy finished. "We'll find some other job." Angel huffed but reluctantly, hopped of her head to lift her toothbrush, hairbrush, and toothpaste in her suitcase.

Fluttershy really did not want to go. Even though she had been here for a few days, Fluttershy had grown very fond of the princesses. They were amazing. All of them! And the servants were not so bad, either. It's a shame that she and the King couldn't get along. When Fluttershy closed her suitcase, something weird happened. The suitcase flipped open by itself! And all of Fluttershy's dresses unfolded themselves and flew back into her closet.

Angel squeaked in fear and ran under the bed. He thought there were ghosts in the room, trying on dresses!

The pegasus gasped as she dropped her tissue. She had never seen this kind of magic before! Wait a minute! Was it one of the princesses? Quickly, Fluttershy grabbed one of her slips from walking into her drawer. She closed her eyes and lowered her head.

"Screwy, you know that I love you but I can't stay. Your father won't stand for it!" Fluttershy sighed.

Instead of sounds of protest, there was silence. Then, there was a sound of "thump!" When Fluttershy turned around, she yelped and dropped one of her slips. It wasn't Screwball at her door! It was the King!

Discord's eyes widened and his cheeks flushed a dark shade of red. His head began to feel a bit lightheaded. When he put his paw to his head, Discord staggered and fell onto the floor! His heart was beating as fast as a cheetah! Discord tried to process what just happened. There was something about the way that Fluttershy said 'I love you', that struck a chord inside him! Even if it was directed at his daughter.

"Oh, your majesty! I'm so sorry, I-I-I thought you-you were Screwy-or-oh my! ...Did-did I just say that? I-I didn't know you were behind me! I thought you-oh!"

Fluttershy hastily turned away from the King and covered half of her burning face with her mane. She wished she could curl up into a ball and sink into her carpet.

Discord snapped out his own world when he heard Fluttershy talking. He rushed to her and stood on fours just so he could be at her eye-level.

"No, no, there's nothing to be afraid at all! It's just that..you were right," he sighed.

Fluttershy peeked out from her mane, surprised. The King was apologizing? Was he being sincere or sarcastic? Fluttershy boldly looked into his eyes.

Discord continued, not wanting to embarrass himself in front of her, again. Since when does he become so flustered?

"I do not know my own children. I don't know them at all. All because of my stupid choices!" Looking into his eyes, Fluttershy was able to see who the King really was, not a cold-hearted tyrant, but a lonely stallion.

"However you brought joy back into my home. I have forgotten the music."
Discord and Fluttershy glanced at each other and smiling shyly. Fluttershy felt a strange and warm feeling in her heart. She could not comprehend the feeling but it felt good.

Discord took out his whistle and looked at it shortly, before he carelessly, tossed it out of the window. No more marching!

"It's not too late, your majesty," Fluttershy said, gently. "There is still time to make amends with them." When the King did not respond, Fluttershy feared that she may have said something wrong, again. "I should go," she said quietly.

"Wait!" Discord quickly grabbed Fluttershy's hoof with his talon before she could pick up her clothes. They felt that warm and fuzzy feeling again. "I-I want you to stay!" Doscord cleared his throat. "I mean, I ask you to stay."

"Really?" Fluttershy's eyes filled with hope.

"Of course!" The Draconequus smiled, gently. "Couldn't ask for a better nanny!"

The pegasus was so thrilled that she flew and give the King a big hug.

"Oh thank you, thank you, thank you so much!" she squealed, her face blushing. She couldn't believe that the King was letting her stay! Fluttershy felt her heart soaring as if it were on wings.

Discord was shocked by her sudden physical contact. His face flushed red again and awkwardly, he wrapped his arms around her.

"I-er, your welcome," he stuttered. The King felt his heart rate still increasing. 'Oh boy, how will I behave toward Miss Fluttershy now that I'll be seeing her more often? I hope it's not what I think it is!'

Angel poked his head out from underneath the bed. His long ears flopped to its sides and his face resembled of a sour apple. He did not appreciate that some creature was hugging his friend!

'Why is that stupid King hugging my friend? Didn't he make her cry a few minutes ago? I'm the one who is worthy of Fluttershy's hugs, not him! Grrr...looks I got competition!'

Author's Note:

Some of the parts from this chapter were taken from a few stage SoM productions such as Maria/Captain singing a reprise of The Hills Are Alive. The reason I did not have Discord sing along with the children like the Catain did, was because my sister had complained about that part being cheesy. The ending where Fluttershy hugged Discord at the end? I wrote it thinking of one of that MLP comic book where a grateful Fluttershy hugged a nervous Discord. Feedback and criticism are welcome!