• Published 28th Jul 2015
  • 3,371 Views, 361 Comments

The Singing Heart - Toonsgirl



When Queen Celestia sent Fluttershy to be a nanny to King Discord's five daughters, Fluttershy was thrilled because she had lost her first job. But cold-hearted Discord and the little naughty princesses were estranged with each other. Can Fluttershy

  • ...
9
 361
 3,371

Chapter 5: The First Meeting EDITED

The Singing Heart: Chapter 5-The First meeting

The next day, Fluttershy carried her suitcase and cantered to the train station. Angel was sitting on her back, enjoying the breeze from the wind. Fluttershy bought a ticket from the ticket booth. She cantered to a bench and waited for her train to come. She waited patiently and looked around the train station. Some ponies were buying tickets for thier train rides. Others were waiting for thier train rides, just like Fluttershy. The Pegasus swung her hind legs back forth, anxiously, looking sideways for the train. "Is the train here yet? It should be here by now!" Fluttershy thought to herself. Thankfully , the train arrived and Fluttershy trotted on. She took a seat that was by the window. She looked outside, to enjoy the view. She waved goodbye to Canterlot as the town disappeared. Then she passed the hills, and the Everfree Forest. While passing the Crystal Empire, Fluttershy turned to her pet. Unlike Fluttershy, Angel was dying from boredom.
"Isn't this wonderful Angel?" Fluttershy asked, excitedly. "We are going to see the Kingdom of Draconia! It's not every day that you visit it! We'll live in the palace! And we get to see the K-King! " her eyes started to widen. "And-and f-five children!" Her excitement was overtaken by her nerves, again. "A castle with five princesses! Oh what is the matter with me?" She whimpered. Angel hopped on top of her head, and patted it with his paw. Angel made a bunny noise as of to assure Fluttershy that she'd be all right. "I know Queen Celestia trusts me to take the job, but I am still nervous-what if I mess up? What if the King becomes angry at me because I offended him?" Fluttershy worried. Angel made an another noise, telling his owner that she will not mess up and if the king has a problem with her, the bunny will give him a good kick! He swung his foot up in the air to show how strong he is, only to fall on his back. Fluttershy giggled, touched by her bunny's loyalty. "You are right, Angel," she smiled. "I worry too much!" She turned to look out of the window, thinking that nothing will go wrong now.


King Discord blew his whistle very loudly for his staff.
"Coming your highness!" Flash Sentry called, galloping toward from the other room. Discord smirked as his trusted captain saluted him. Rainbow Dash arrived a few seconds later, grumbling about 'stupid whistles'.
"Where is everybody else?" Discord demanded. He blew his whistle again for them twice, making Flash and Rainbow cringe and cover thier ears. Finally, Applejack, Pinkie Pie, Rarity, and a few other ponies appeared, covering thier ears.
"Ow, stop, stop that awful whistling!" Rarity and Pinkie whined. "It hurts our ears!"
"Well, maybe if you idiots, came when I first called you, then maybe I would not blow it again!" Discord barked at them. Everybody winced at Discord's tone of voice. "Where is Sunset Shimmer?" On cue, Sunset Shimmer gallopped into the room with a telegram.
"Sorry, I am late-" Sunset panted.
"You should be, Sunset!" Discord barked. "You know how much I hate tardiness!"
"But you have a telegram from-" Sunset began only to be silenced again, by Discord. The king cleared his throat, trying to sound casual. "Now I called you guys here to remind you that our new nanny is going to be arriving here today this afternoon. Flash Sentry and Rainbow Dash! I want you to pick her up from the Draconian station at 4:30pm and escort her to the castle. Applejack, I want you to prepare a bedroom for her. The res too you will tidy up the kitchen, the living room, and the dining hall. Rarity, make sure to design some uniforms for the new nanny. Is that clear?"
"Yes , your majesty!" Everybody replied.
"One question, my liege, what is her name?" Flash inquired.
"Oh forgive me, her name is Fluttershy," Discord answered. "She will be coming from Canterlot." He turned to Sunset. "Now who is the telegram from?"
"The telegram is from Lady Chrysalis, your higness. She wants to know if you are having lunch at her palace today," The wise mare reported. Discord rolled his eyes in annoyance.
"Did I not tell that changeling yesterday that today's not a good day?" He grumbled. "Not to mention that I have an appointment with Prince Ayaan since my last meeting with him was cut short!"
"Should I write to Lady Chrysalis that you cannot make it?" Sunset Shimmer asked, getting out get her parchment.
"Yes, what do you think?" Discord barked, loudly. Sunset cringed at his tone. She tried her best to not be so intimidated as she wrote a telegram to Lady Chrysalis. "But ask Lady Chrysalis if we can spend the whole day at her palace!" Or see her for a week! The sooner, I am away from the children, the better! Discord thought. He felt a sharp pain in his heart when he thought the last sentence. He quickly shook the feeling away before he let it linger. After everypony left the meeting to do thier assignments, the King left for a meeting with Ayaan. Flash and Rainbow trotted outside and began a private conversation.
"Ugh, I wish he'd stop using his whistles on us!" Rainbow Dash whispered to Flash. "I know he used to be on the navy, but this is ridiculous!"
"Forget the whistles!" Flash hissed. "I'd wish he'd spend time with his children, instead of with other royals, especially Lady Chrysalis!"


At last, the train arrived in Draconia at 4:30pm. Fluttershy stepped outside of the train, carrying her suitcase. Angel still sat on top of her head. Fluttershy looked around the train station. She was amazed to see other species around other than ponies such as the griffons and the mintoaurs. Fluttershy recalled from her letter from Discord, that she would be picked up by Captain Flash Sentry and Lieutenenat Rainbow Dash. The question is where are they? And what do they look like? Fluttershy scanned around the train station. She hoped she arrived at the right time! When Fluttershy tried to hover a bit so she can see clearly, the crowd began to press on her. One big pony bumped into Fluttershy and sent her flying across the station. Fluttershy freaked out and struggled to flap her wings. Angel held onto her hair. They were heading toward a pole!


"Why do I have to hold this stupid sign?" Rainbow Dash hissed. She and Flash were standing by a pole, far from the busy crowd.
"So she can easily find us!" Flash whispered back to her. Just then, somepony accidentally crashed into Flash from behind, which made him bump into Rainbow Dash and dropped a few things. It was Fluttershy! Her flying had sailed her right into two other pegasuses!
"Hey watch it, will ya!" Rainbow Dash snapped, standing up.
"Rainbow, be nice!" Flash chided. He helped up Fluttershy.
"Oh, I am so sorry, sir, I did not mean to bump into you!" Fluttershy whimpered. "The crowd bumped into me and I-"
"Oh, it is all right, miss!" Flash answered, gently. "What is your name?"
"Um, I'm Fluttershy," the Pegasus shyly, said.
"Sorry, what is your name again?" Flash repeated.
"Fluttershy!" She whispered, still shy.
"Can you please speak up, miss?" Rainbow Dash pressed on. She was beginning to feel impatient.
"Fluttershy!" The scared pegasus squeaked. Angel popped out of Fluttershy's hair locks and waved Discord's letter in front of Flash's face. Flash read the paper carefully.
"Ah, you must be Fluttershy, the new nanny!" Flash beamed brightly. "Am I correct?" Fluttershy nodded.
"Woah, woah, woth! This klutz is the new nanny!?" Rainbow asked incredously.
"Rainbow, where are your manners?" Flash hissed. He turned back to Fluttershy. "I am Captain Flash and this is my lieutenant, Rainbow a Dash. Welcome to the Kingdom of Draconia!"
"Pleased to meet you!" Fluttershy smiled, brightly. "And thank you!" They picked up her suitcase and guided her toward the kingdom.


When the three pegasuses reached the castle, Fluttershy was amazed at how interesting it looked. The castle was made out polished marble but had white and purple stripes around its towers. Flash and Rainbow led Fluttershy inside of the castle.
"Wow!" Fluttershy marveled. The inside castle was interesting. There were black and white stripes on one side of the hall and purple polka dots on the other side. The throne room had gold walls and maroon rugs. The chair was also made out of gold.
Fluttershy had never seen anything quite like it before!
"So, where is the King?" Fluttershy, asked noticing that the throne was empty. Suddenly, a magical light appeared over the throne and then came a big POOF sound! Fluttershy squeaked and hid behind Flash and Rainbow. The cyan pegasus snickered at Fluttershy only to be elbowed by a stern Flash. When the smoke left, Fluttershy peeked. There on the chair was a strange creature with mismatched limps.
He does not look like a king, Fluttershy thought, surprised. The Pegasus thought that she'd be seeing a male alicorn or a stallion. She had never seen a draconeques before! To Fluttershy, the draconeques looked very interesting.
"Hello Flash and Rainbow!" King Discord greeted, loudly. "Well, have you picked our new nanny? Where is she?"
"She is right here, my liege!" Flash saluted as he and Rainbow stepped away to reveal the shy pegasus. She quickly bowed down in his presence. Discord's eyes widened, the moment Fluttershy came into his view.
She does not look like a nanny, the King said inside his head. His new nanny was not an old mare, he had visioned, but rather a young and pretty mare. King Discord quickly snapped out of his train of thought and stood up from his throne.
"I trust that your train ride was pleasant, Miss Fluttershy?" He asked.
"Oh yes!" Fluttershy smiled. "The train ride was very pleasant!"
"It was not so not pleasant when she bumped into us!" Rainbow Dash muttered. Flash shot her another glare. Discord ordered them to stand on each side of the throne room, so he could talk to Fluttershy only.
"So um, what will I be doing as a nanny, Your highness?" Fluttershy asked, shyly. The silence in the throne room was making her a bit nervous.
"I am glad you asked Miss Fluttershy!" The King said. "You will be doing a variety of tasks with the children! Make sure they do thier school work ever day from 8am to 3pm. I do not want them to waste thier summer away, doing nothing! When they go outside, they will spend time marching. Marching, will help them learn how to be graceful..,"
As Discord continued to list his of long and boring rules, Fluttershy could not help but wonder if the King sounded a bit too strict.
"Um, excuse me?" She said timidly and softly. "When do the children play?" Either Fluttershy's question fell on deaf ears or Discord pretended not to hear her.
"One more thing," King Discord added. "You must be on time for every meal and activity because punctuality is a value that we emphasized in this castle. Do you understand?"
"Yes, sir!" Fluttershy saluted, smiling. Discord gave her an odd look. Rainbow and Flash silently snickered.
"I hope you will last long, Miss Fluttershy," Discord mentioned, sternly. "Our last nanny, walked out on us after working here for two days!" Discord took out his whistle from his crown (How does one keep a whistle in thier crown? Fluttershy silently asked herself) and gave it a very loud blow. The pitch was so high that it made Fluttershy squeak and jump.
She heard the galloping of little hoofs, from her right. She watched four young fillies marching into the throne room. They all stood in line in front of thier father. Discord counted Screwball, Babs Seed, Scootaloo, and Sweetie Belle. He frowned, noticing that one filly was missing! Just then, Apple Bloom cantered in, munching on an apple, not realizing the situation. Blushed and embarresed of not hearing her father's whistle, the yellow filly quickly, stepped into line. Discord snatched her apple away and tossed it into a nearby garbage can.
"These are the princesses that you will be watching," Discord announced. The children looked at Fluttershy with blank expressions. "I will show you what signal to use for each princess, anytime you need to call them," Discord demonstrated. He blew his whistle at three high notes.
"Princess Screwball!" The eldest pony shouted. Next, Discord blew three low notes.
"Princess Babs Seed!" The second pony announced. Discord whistled two high notes and low note.
"Princess Apple Bloom!" The yellow filly said, loudly. Two low notes and one high note.
"Princess Scootaloo!"
One high note. Last filly was daydreaming until, Scootaloo nudged her. Discord repeated one high note.
"Oh, um, Princess Sweetie Belle!"
Fluttershy thought she saw Discord smile a bit before he quickly composed himself. He tenderly put his whistle in Fluttershy's hoof. They both felt a warm feeling the moment thier hoof/paw touched. But neither of them understood the warm touch they had very briefly shared.
"Now Miss Fluttershy when I whistle for you, this what you will hear," he demonstrated, using his other whistle. He began playing high notes that were so high that it made Fluttershy's ears bleed.
"Stop, stop!" She shouted. " I will not answer to a whistle! The whistle is for the dogs, but not for the children! And it is definitely not for me! It'd be too humiliating!"
The children and the guards were astonished. No pony had ever spoken to the King like that before!
"Were you this much trouble at Canterlot?" Discord inquired, slowly.
"Oh much worse!" Fluttershy responded, without hesitation.
"I see," Discord responded, frowning. The children snickered at the display. "I will leave you to get acquainted with the children."
He was about to leave, when Fluttershy blew her whistle loudly for him. It was loud enough to make Discord cringe.
"Oh sorry, your highness," Fluttershy blushed. "But what name do I really call you?" She was not sure if the title, your higness, was respectable enough. And she could not remember his real name.
"Your higness, is fine. But if you want to call me by real name, King Discord will work, too," He grumbled, still irritated by the whistle. "Now if you excuse me, I have some work to doin my library!" He poofed away, not leaving dust behind.
"Well, now that we are alone, I like each of you tell me your name and a little bit something about yourself," Fluttershy explained, kindly. "Princess Screwball, why don't you go first?" The eldest princess stood up roundly, like her father.
"I am Princess Screwball and I do not need a nanny!" She stated, harshly.
"Well, that is all right, Screwball," Fluttershy chirped. "We can be just good friends." Babs Seed was next.
"I am Princess Babs Seed and I am impossible!" She said, loudly.
"Now Babs Seed, who told you that?" Fluttershy giggled. She find it hard to believe that some adult would say something so mean.
"Miss Bon Bon, four nannies ago!" Babs Seed replied.
"I am Princess Apple Bloom!" Scootaloo joked.
"You did not tell me something about yourself, Scootaloo," Fluttershy smiled, wryly.
"I am Princess Apple Bloom!" The real Apple Bloom stated, annoyed. Scootaloo only chuckled.. "She is Princess Scootaloo! I like apples and Scootaloo likes scooters! I also think you are smart!"
"I am Princess Sweetie Belle!" The youngest one sounded very cheerful. "Are you single?"
Fluttershy was surprised at Sweetie Belle's odd question. The other princesses, except Apple Bloom, giggled.
"Sweetie Belle, you were supposed to tell her something about yourself, not ask her a questuon!" Apple Bloom reprimanded.
"I was just curious!" Sweetie Belle said, innocently.

Just then, Applejack appeared.
"Come on, sugar cubes," she called. "Time to for you to go back to your lessons and do marching afterwards!" The children groaned.
"Do we have to, Applejack?" Screwball whined.
"Yes, Father's orders," Applejack gravely said. She spoke a friendly tone with Fluttershy. "Well howdy, Miss Fluttershy! You must be the new nanny, right?"
"Right," Fluttershy smiled, shyly. This orange mare seemd nice.
While Fluttershy and Applejack were talking, Babs Seed and Screwball slipped something in Fluttershy's dress. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle tried to protest but Scootaloo shushed them. Applejack offered to take Fluttershy's luggage to her new bedroom. As the princesses descended upstairs, Fluttershy screamed when she felts something slimey moved inside her dress. The Pegasus shook and shook around until a slimey thing fell out of her dress. Fluttershy calmed down when she saw it was just a frog. She tenderly picked the frog up and caressed it. She set the frog on a windowsill and watchd dif hop out of the window. Applejack and the children were amazed.
"You're lucky," Applejack said. "With Miss Lyra, it was a snake!" Screwball, Babs Seed, and Scootaloo gnashed thier teeth at Fluttershy. She did not shriek and run away like they predicted. Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle gave her an apologetic look.
Fluttershy wondered how she would handle all the Royal family?

Author's Note:

EDIT: I did not like the dialogue between Fluttershy and Discord ended before Discord left, so I went back to tweak it.