• Published 8th Jul 2015
  • 1,071 Views, 6 Comments

Flying With the Stars - willowtreemarch



All the poor filly wanted was to fly with the stars.

  • ...
2
 6
 1,071

Flying with the Stars

It was a warm day in Ponyville. The weather ponies had done a great job with the summer weather today. Rain had been claiming the skies for a few days, so it was nice to have a sunny day for once. However, the ground was still muddy and wet, not yet acquainted with the clear air. The park was overflowing with young ponies -- fillies and colts alike.

Two friends called Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle were sitting on the swings, yet they were not in motion. They were still, eyes casting upon the grassy earth. The yellow pony gave a sigh, her southern accent already showing itself. The unicorn looked at her friend. She leaned over and placed her hoof upon the shoulder of the filly.

"What's wrong?" she asked, now patting the back of Apple Bloom.

"It's past noon already. Scootaloo was supposed to meet us here thirty minutes ago, Sweetie Belle. We ain't the Cutie Mark Crusaders without her! Where do you reckon she could've gone to?" said the distressed foal. Sweetie Belle stopped her comforting pats, then sat up on the slab of purple-painted wood. She kicked her white hooves for a moment, which caused her swing to sway a little.

Her eyes narrowed in concentration. "I dunno." She leaped out of the seat; Apple Bloom did the same. "If I were a Scootaloo, where would I be?" A soft hmm was shared between the two girls. Sweetie Belle then jumped up. "Ah ha! It just stopped raining this morning. And where there's rain, there's a rainbow. And where's there's a rainbow, there's a Scootaloo."

Just then, a loud, thundering sound echoed throughout Ponyville. But the skies were clear. There was no way another storm was brewing. A vibrant array of beautiful colors was bending in an arch across the sky. Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom widened their eyes. They nodded at each other before galloping off towards the area where the rainbow was coming from. There was no need to discuss where their friend was at now. They knew.

They ran down to the southern tip of the park, where there were endless fields that were perfect for flying practice. The fillies stopped, panting, trying to regain the lost breath. Apple Bloom recovered first, being used to working her body so much. She did live and work on an apple farm with her family, of course. She supposed that those times she kicked trees with Applejack was paying off. She tapped Sweetie Belle's shoulder, pointing at the black silhouette of a familiar pony.

"Scootaloo!" the white unicorn shouted. The orange pegasus was far too occupied with watching the rainbow stretch across the sky. If one were to examine the front end of it, they would find that it was being caused by Equestria's star flyer -- the infamous Rainbow Dash. Scootaloo's idol, too.

Violet eyes grew wider and wider as the moments passed. She would never grow tired of watching Rainbow Dash fly.

But perhaps she would grow tired of spending time with her friends. She didn't acknowledge them when they called out to her.

"Earth to Scootaloo," snorted Apple Bloom. Scootaloo's eyes blinked, and she turned her head. At that moment, Rainbow Dash disappeared behind the trees. The filly groaned. Great, what if she missed something cool?

"Oh, hey guys," Scootaloo muttered. She stood up and walked down the hill, meeting them at the bottom. "What's up?" Sweetie Belle narrowed her eyes at this, and crossed her forelegs.

"11:30."

"What about it?"

Oh, pure innocence of a naive foal. Sweetie Belle approached Scootaloo, her face inches from hers. "You were supposed to meet us at 11:30! But no, you had to come see your beloved Rainbow Dash again. This is the third time you've ditched us for her, Scootaloo! We're getting tired of it!"

The pegasus blinked. She hadn't expected that. "Sweetie, Bloom, I'm so sorry guys, I just --"

"No, we know," snapped Apple Bloom, "you just wanted to see Dash preform her oh-so-cool moves. Again." Tears were starting to grow in the yellow pony's eyes, but she forced them to stay where they were. "You're one of the Cutie Mark Crusaders. An important member, too! First we lost Babs 'cause she got her cutie mark. And now Sweetie Belle and I are going to lose you because you'll starting hanging out more with Dash."

Scootaloo looked down. "Guys, I'm really sorry. I mean it this time. I just really want to fly, and if I watch Rainbow Dash do it, I might be able to learn something. But I promise, I'll be at the next meeting, and we can hang out whenever you guys want!" She gave a shaky smile. These fillies were her best friends, cherished ones at that.

Sweetie Belle looked at Apple Bloom and Apple Bloom looked at Sweetie Belle. They sighed and nodded. The unicorn turned around, as did the earth pony. "Y'all got one more chance, Scootaloo. See you later." A few moments later, the orange foal was left alone. She gave a little whimper and looked at the sky.

The rainbow had faded.


"I am such a screw up," Scootaloo cried into her pillow. She held it tightly to her chest, tears staining her cheeks. Her eyes were puffy and red from how much she had been crying.

Her room was dark, save for the rainbow-shaped nightlight on the wall. This lit up a wall that had posters of Rainbow Dash on it. Typical for her. A small sniffle came from Scootaloo as she walked towards the wall. Her hoof ran across her favorite picture -- it was of her and the light blue pegasus. An angry feeling swept over her, and she pressed as much force on the picture as she could.

It was ripped from the nail and split in half. It tore down the middle, separating Rainbow Dash and Scootaloo.

The filly cried harder and collapsed onto the floor. "I just wanted to be great." she whispered.

Just then, a breeze swept in. She shivered; she had forgotten to close the window. The violet curtains swayed; Scootaloo got up to close them. But as she did, she noticed the sky. It was black, like an endless void. But the stars and the moon -- she hadn't noticed how beautiful they were before. Her red eyes grew a size bigger.

"I want to fly with the stars."


She crept out of her home, only carrying a paper and a pen. She would record her flight just as soon as she landed. Scootaloo made a beeline for the meadows, her mane whipping behind her. It then occurred to her that she did not lock the door. Oh well, it wasn't like anyone was going to notice it, anyway. She would be back before daylight.

She slowed to a stop on a large hill. It was perfect to run and jump. Scootaloo looked up, finding that she was a small ant compared to the stars above. A wad of saliva slithered down her throat. Could she even do this? It would be best to be optimistic about flying. She might be able to go higher.

It was then she smiled. She sat down and started to scribble on her paper:

Dear Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, I will fly with the stars.

She set that upon a rock, which was settled on the moist shore of a lake.

The filly inhaled the night air. It was time. She scraped the ground, fluttered her wings, then ran. The cold wind seemed to have grown harder and harder, for she was struggling to fight it as she picked up speed. Scootaloo jumped, going airborne for a few seconds. A grin spread across her face.

She was doing it! She was fly--!

Scootaloo crashed. Her body hit the ground and she rolled down the hill. At the bottom, her muscles were aching and a few scrapes were starting to bleed. It took whatever she had left to hold in a loud cry. It just hurt too much. Yet, she would have to force her fragile self back up the hill.

Grass nodded against her wounded legs as she made her way back to the lake. A small sniffle escaped her nose; she sat on the rock and held the paper. Her eyes skimmed the graphite words. What a lie she had written down. She didn't fly. Scootaloo wanted to scream -- this was so unfair. She was too old to not be able to fly.

Was there something wrong with her? Was there a disease in her wings? These thoughts caused her mind to grow foggy. Her teeth clenched together, and she finally screamed. She picked up a rock and threw it, not caring where it landed or if anyone had heard her crying.

Splash!

Her ear twitched.

Her head lifted.

A soft ripple spread through the lake, which was shimmering with the reflection of stars. It was beautiful. It looked just like the sky itself. A little piece of heaven.

Scootaloo, curious and completely exhausted now, trotted closer to the edge. Her eyes sparkled with the stars that smiled at her. She did the same in return. An idea as powerful as Celestia forced its way into her mind. Perhaps she will fly after all. Her wings fluttered, preparing for the leap.

She jumped.

This time was not like the other times she attempted to fly. This was cold, but not wind-cold. An icy feeling swept over the filly. Bubbles formed around her and the stars. She sank lower and lower into her sky. Her chest was starting to burn as if she had flown a thousand miles. But it was what she wanted. She had wanted to fly that distance. Now, she could.

Scootaloo closed her eyes and gave a final sigh of content. The chills from the water turned into a fuzzy warmth. It was so comforting and she was so tired. Finally, she sank into darkness and was gone.


Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle had been searching for Scootaloo all day. She had ditched them again, and that was the final straw. She would be confronted for this. Of course, they had to find her first.

"She might be in the meadow, tryin' to practice," said Apple Bloom as she headed that way. The unicorn nodded and followed behind her friend.

"I hope she knows how upset we are," murmured Sweetie Belle as they climbed up the hill. Apple Bloom nodded.

They made it to the top, and were now looking around. She was nowhere to be seen. Where could that filly had gone? Apple Bloom looked towards the lake and squinted, her eyes catching sight of a yellow piece of paper. "What's that?" she asked, more to the air than to Sweetie Belle.

She trotted up to the lake and picked up the paper. She screamed.

Moments later, Sweetie Belle was at her side. "What is it? What is it? What did you find?" she asked worriedly, holding her shaking friend. The yellow foal shoved the paper into the unicorn's hooves, then fell onto the ground and cried. The other found herself reading the paper, too shocked to comprehend the words and too upset to find the strength to cry.

Dear Sweetie Belle and Apple Bloom, I flew with the stars.

Comments ( 6 )

Flew to the stars... As she went to heaven. ;~;
Amazing story. 11/4

Poor Scoots... She did fly in the end, though. :fluttershysad:

Alright. I'll go against my better judgement and fav this. Congratulations.

Can we have a sequel where we see how Rainbow Dash deals with this.

I heard fudge packers are a real pain in the ass!

Login or register to comment