• Published 6th Jun 2015
  • 11,502 Views, 239 Comments

Our Blessing - MysteriousStranger



After three years of marriage, Rarity decides that it's time to bring more joy to Carousel Boutique. How will Trixie take the idea?

  • ...
14
 239
 11,502

The Smile of a Child

On the next day, Rarity was gathering everything they needed for the picnic. Trixie wasn’t helping her. She was looking out a window, meditating. On a table nearby, it was the letter Princess Cadence wrote for her, unfolded and already read more than once by both mares.

Dear Trixie Lulamoon,

It has been mentioned to me that you have been having troubles to win your son’s affection. Do not worry. In order to win his love, you won’t need any magic potion, you’ll need to be patient and wait for an opportunity. Sooner or later, your son will need help, somepony who shows concern for him. That is when you will earn his affection. When the moment comes, you’ll know what to do.

You’re not the first parent who has problems to get one of their foals like them, and you definitely won't be the last. Please, don’t take it personally.

Best wishes,

Princess Cadence

Rarity suggested Trixie to do as Princess Cadence said, to be patient, but the magician pony couldn’t help to wonder what kind of problems could her son have. She certainly didn’t want her son have any, but how else could she get her son’s love?

“Ready to go, Trixie-boo?”

Trixie looked over at her wife. The basket was on the floor next to her and Clementine was sleeping in the saddlebag on Rarity’s back. “Yeah, I’m ready.” Trixie said in a bored tone.

Rarity walked to where Trixie was standing while she spoke. “You need to keep your thoughts away. This picnic should do the trick.” The fashionista put a hoof on Trixie’s chin and made her look into her own eyes. “Smile, for our friends.” Trixie smiled slightly. “That’s the way.” Rarity said before giving Trixie a peck on her lips. “Come on, I’m anxious for our son to meet Sunny Shores.”

“Maybe she will teach him to be more cheerful.” Trixie said as she magically took the basket and opened the door to allow Rarity walk out.

“I wonder how will he act around other ponies.”

“I just hope he doesn’t get too excited. He makes disasters with his magic when that happens.” Trixie closed the door and linked tails with Rarity.

“It will be a matter of keeping an eye on him. In the worse scenario we’ll lose a cupcake or two, not that big of a deal.”

“Are you forgetting about Pinkie Pie?” Trixie said with dread on her voice. “She will cry if Clementine drops cupcakes to the grass.”

“Oh, right…” Both mares laughed at this. “She would then get all serious on him!”

“She totally would!”

They were close to the park so they were still laughing when they arrived to where their friends were.

“Hey, Trixie, Rarity. What’s so funny?” Twilight inquired upon seeing her friends. Everypony else looked at them, confused (Except for Pinkie Pie, who was grinning.)

“Oh, nothing, Twilight. Hello everypony.” Trixie greeted while Rarity sat.

“Hello! What took you guys so long?” Pinkie Pie cheerfully said.

“Pinkie!” Twilight scolded her friend.

“What? I’m curious.” The party pony said, oblivious.

“Sorry, but we had to change Clementine.” Rarity replied.

“Why? You didn’t like him?” Pinkie Pie asked, confused, causing everypony but Fluttershy to facehoof. When Trixie opened her eyes, she looked at the foal Fluttershy was carrying. Sunny Shores was curiously looking at Clementine, who was sleeping.

“I think that she wants to meet him already.” The timid pony said.

“Put her on the ground, Fluttershy. Let’s see what she does.” Rarity spoke.

“O-okay.” Fluttershy let her daughter go and the filly slowly approached to Rarity. The fashionista allowed Sunny Shores to take a closer look. The filly watched him and sniffed him. Something must have gotten inside her nose because she sneezed, waking Clementine up. Everypony watched in silence as the colt slowly opened his eyes and met a new face. At first, Clementine wasn’t sure how to react, but then Sunny Shores giggled and he smiled at her. Everypony sighed in relief.

“Good, they started with the right hoof.” Trixie commented.

“Come on, dear. Play with your new friend.” Rarity said as she took her son out of her baby harness. Clementine and Sunny Shores started to play.

“So, Rarity, how are you finding the three months off?” Twilight asked.

“Oh, I must say that I so need them! I’m glad that I have enough time to lose the extra weight from the pregnancy. I’m taking long walks that also clear my mind.”

“She leaves for hours and I have to look after Clementine on my own. Not an easy task, especially when he’s hungry.” Trixie said, glaring at her wife when she said the last.

“I have to recover my figure, Trixie-boo. I can’t wear any of my dresses until I do so!” Rarity dramatically said as she put a hoof on her forehead. Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes.

“You and your dresses.”

Rarity glared at Rainbow Dash, causing her to hide behind Applejack, startled. It was Applejack’s turn to roll her eyes.

“I still have some extra weight. It is hard for me to lose it.” Fluttershy shyly said.

“We can go for a walk tomorrow, honey. You, me, and Sunny Shores.” Twilight said.

“I would love that.” Fluttershy replied while she leaned against Twilight.

The foals were chasing each other still, giggling. Pinkie Pie stood up to take a cupcake and returned to her spot. However, when she was about to eat it, Clementine’s excitement caused his magic to start working, which made the cupcake explode on Pinkie Pie’s face. Everypony watched as their party friend shocked, as Pinkie Pie’s eyes became teary. “Noooo!” Pinkie Pie cried dramatically as she kneed and raised her forelegs into the air. “Why?! Why didn’t you take me instead?! It was only two hours old!”

***

One week later, during the night, Twilight and Fluttershy had reservations in a restaurant and were dressed. Before going, they headed to Carousel Boutique to leave Sunny Shores in charge of their friends.

“Remember, she has to sleep with her pacifier. Make sure that her belly is facing down and don’t let her to get closer to the stairs. Also, don’t…”

“Fluttershy, darling…” Rarity said as she raised a hoof to interrupt her best friend. “Don’t worry, we’ll be fine. I want you to focus on your date for the rest of the night. Relax, enjoy yourself. Sunny Shores will be waiting for you here in the morning.”

“They’re right, honey…” Twilight said as she and Trixie approached from the living room. “take the night off. We have been looking forward to this date for weeks. We can trust our friends. Besides, this was your idea.”

“I never said that I didn’t trust them, it’s just that… I’m afraid of leaving her alone. She’s so small…”

“Fluttershy, I promise you that we’ll take good care of her. He have enough diapers and we have your feeding bottles.”

“But, but…”

“Shy…” Twilight spoke softly as she put a foreleg on one of Fluttershy’s cheeks. “Don’t panic. We’ll go to our restaurant, we’ll eat, we’ll gaze at the stars and we’ll return home to sleep the rest of the night without interruptions, yes? It will be just you and me alone.”

“Uh…” Fluttershy got lost on Twilight’s lavender eyes and couldn’t form any word.

“That’s better.” The bookworm pony smiled before looking at her friends. “We’re leaving.”

“Have fun!” Rarity and Trixie waved at their friends until they could no longer be seen before closing the door and heading to Clementine’s room, where both Clementine and Sunny Shores were. The foals were both sleeping peacefully. Sunny Shores with her pacifier.

“They look so cute. Oh! Imagine if they get married when they grow up!”

“Rarity, they don’t even have an year and you’re already thinking on manipulating them to fall in love?” Trixie jokingly said. Rarity glared at her wife.

“Everypony can dream, you don’t have the right to shatter them, my love.” Rarity said before resting her head on one of Trixie’s withers and gazed at the foals. They watched them sleep for several minutes until Rarity yawned. “I’m tired. I had a long day. Trixie-Boo, I’ll go to bed. If you need something…”

“Don’t worry, sweetheart. Go to sleep. I’ll handle this.”

Rarity gave Trixie a peck on her lips. “Good night.”

“Good night.” Trixie watched her wife walk to the bedroom before heading to the couch they put on the room to rest her eyes.
Trixie didn’t know how much she slept, but she woke up abruptly by the sound of somepony coughing. It came from the cradle. The magician pony headed towards it and saw that Clementine was coughing and Sunny Shores looked like if she was about to wake up. Trixie quickly took her son with her forelegs.

“Clementine, what’s wrong, son?” The foal kept coughing, so she took him to the bathroom, where the medicine was. “Where is it? Beaver oil? No. Where… kid’s cough suppressant, here it is!” Trixie took the medicine with her magic and rushed to the kitchen to grab a spoon. Clementine didn’t stop coughing.

Once she had the spoon in her possession, she sat Clementine on the table and put some of the medicine on the spoon. She tried to give it to Clementine, but he didn’t let her. “Come on, son, this will make you feel better.” Clementine still dodged the spoon. The cough was getting worse. “Clementine, please! You have to trust on me, I’m your mother. I love you, I would never hurt you.” Trixie’s eyes became wet. Clementine noticed this and stopped fighting. He allowed Trixie to give him the medicine and swallowed it. He coughed again, but this time of disgust. He soon realized that the coughing stopped. He looked at his mother and smiled for the first time at her. “See? I told you that…” Trixie stopped when she saw Clementine walked to her hoof and hugged it.

“Ba, bu.” The foal nuzzled his mother’s hoof with his cheek.

Trixie’s heart melt. Her son was simply too cute. She took the foal to her chest and hugged him. Clementine returned the hug and looked up at Trixie. He smiled and cuddled more against his mother. With her son in her foreleg, she walked upstairs to where the cradle was. She was about to lay on the couch again when she noticed that Sunny Shores was looking at her. “Oh, you too?” Trixie used her magic to levitate the Pegasus filly towards her. She laid on the couch and she fell asleep, holding both foals on her chest.

***

Rarity woke up to go to the bathroom. She put on her coat and walked out her bedroom. She stopped on Clementine’s room to see if everything was fine and smiled when she saw that Trixie was sleeping peacefully, holding both Clementine and Sunny Shores. Rarity didn’t interrupt their slumber and continued on her way.

The next morning…

“Thank you so much for taking care of our daughter.” Fluttershy said while she held her sleeping daughter.

“It was our pleasure, darlings. It was nice to have her around. You can ask us to look after her whenever you want.” Rarity said as she stroked Sunny Shore’s head.

“We’ll make sure to do it. We had a terrific night. We’ll look after Clementine whenever you want.”
Twilight said before looking at the colt, who was happy for being held by Trixie. “I’m glad that he’s no longer rebellious against you, Trixie.”

“Princess Cadence’s advice was very helpful. I’ll make sure to write a letter to thank her later.” Trixie moved Clementine up and down, which the foal seemed to enjoy because he was laughing.

“She'd love to hear the news. I knew that she would be able to help you.” Twilight smiled at Trixie before looking at her wife. “Ready to go, honey?”

Fluttershy nodded. “We’ll see you later.”

“Bye, girls!” Rarity and Trixie entered their house after their friends left. The fashionista proceeded to plant her lips on Trixie’s. “I’m really happy for you two, we can now be a happy family.” Rarity added while hugging her wife and son.

“Yeah, we’ll be a happy family. Everything will be easier now that Clementine likes me.” Both mares looked at their son and saw him yawning. “Let’s take him to his cradle.” They walked upstairs, to Clementine’s room and they put him on his cradle. Rarity covered him with a blanket and watched him sleep.

“Look at him, so handsome and happy. He's going to do great things, I’m sure of it.”

“He will.” Trixie walked next to Rarity, who rested her head on one of Trixie’s withers.

“He’s a blessing.”

“Our blessing…”

They watched him sleep in silence for a little while until Rarity spoke. “Trixie-Boo.”

“Hmm?”

“I want another one.”

Trixie’s eyes widened in horror.

Author's Note:

Originally, it would have taken Trixie longer to win Clementine’s affection, but I’m forced to wrap this fic up due to many reasons, one of the reasons is that I just don’t have as much free time as before. This might be my last fic, as it might not. I don’t know, I really need to focus more on my studies. Only the epilogue is left. I’m sorry :fluttercry:

I'll mark the fic as completed, anyway, but I'll upload the epilogue, don't worry :twilightsmile:

I want to thank Wonder for revising this chapter before its release :twilightsmile: