• Published 6th Jun 2015
  • 11,490 Views, 239 Comments

Our Blessing - MysteriousStranger



After three years of marriage, Rarity decides that it's time to bring more joy to Carousel Boutique. How will Trixie take the idea?

  • ...
14
 239
 11,490

Not Again!

Two months later…

The past two months had been absolute chaos for Rarity and Trixie. Clementine would cry most of the time, barely allowing his parents to sleep. Rarity would always find a way to make the colt sleep, but Trixie wasn’t as lucky. The magician pony noticed that her son would always smile whenever he saw Rarity. He would even try to jump to her. Trixie commented this to her wife, once they were on the bed after putting Clementine to sleep in his room.

“I think that he loves you more than me.” Trixie finished speaking.

“Don’t be ridiculous, Trixie-Boo. He surely loves us both the same.”

“Then why is he constantly trying to escape from my hooves and refuses to listen to me? As soon as he sees you, he lowers his cries or stops altogether. He even looks at me serious.”

“It’s probably because of your face.” Rarity jokingly said, giggling afterwards.

“Not funny. My own son hates me…”

“Are you listening to what you’re saying? That’s not possible.” Just as Rarity said that, Clementine started to cry.

“I’ll prove it to you. Come with me and stay outside. You’ll see that he won’t stop.” Trixie said before getting off the bed and putting on her night robes, which had the same color pattern as her cape and hat.

“I’ll play your game.” Rarity said as she put her own robes. She followed Trixie.

The blue Unicorn entered Clementine’s room and approached to the cradle while Rarity waited outside. “Hey there, son. What’s wrong? We just put you to sleep.” The foal stopped crying, only to seriously look at his mom. His eyes were blue, just like Rarity’s. “Your mother fed you, so you probably can’t sleep.” Trixie said before slowly swinging the cradle, but Clementine remained sit, still sternly looking at Trixie. “Oh, come on, Clementine, why do you keep looking at me like that?” Rarity peeked when she heard Trixie’s sad tone. The magician pony took her son with her forelegs and put him in front of her face. “Why don’t you like me? I’m your mom. Please, smile. Smile to mommy.” Trixie smiled when she saw that Clementine opened his mouth. She wasn’t prepared to what happened next. Clementine bit Trixie on her nose. Even though he had no teeth, it was a sensitive spot and it hurt her. Trixie yelled of pain and accidentally dropped her son, who at the moment was laughing. Rarity caught him with her magic just before he hit the cradle.

“Trixie!” The fashionista trotted into the room. The colt smiled upon seeing her and lifted his forelegs. Trixie, who was holding her nose with a foreleg, looked at Rarity before galloping outside the room. She looked extremely sad. Rarity watched her leave, sharing the sadness, before looking at her son. Clementine was surprised to see her angry. “That was very rude!” The fancy Unicorn said before putting the foal in the cradle and galloping back to her bedroom. Clementine remained in silence, wondering why his mother was angry. “Trixie-boo?” Rarity found her wife sobbing on the bed, giving her back to the door.

“I told you that he doesn’t like me…” Trixie managed to say before sobbing again.

“You may be right, but that doesn’t mean that you can’t win his affection. He’s two months old, you’ll manage to make him like you.”

“It hurts, Rarity… I don’t want another member of my family hating me, I had enough with…”

“Trixie…” Rarity interrupted Trixie before she mentioned that despicable Pegasus. She sat on the bed and put a foreleg around her wife. “You’ll win him over, just give him time.” Trixie nodded and Rarity kissed her on one of her cheeks.

The magician pony had her eyes closed and showed little to no reaction to her wife’s affection. She was too sad to show any emotion, and even sounded cold when she spoke. “We should sleep. We won’t achieve anything staying awake.”

“Yes…” Rarity removed her night robes and laid on the bed first. Trixie remained sitting for a little while before she removed her own coat and laid in the bed, giving her back to Rarity. The fashionista put a foreleg around Trixie’s waist and got closer to her wife. Trixie accepted the embrace by holding Rarity’s foreleg with both of her own. Eventually, they managed to fall asleep.

***

“I don’t think that it’s possible that Clementine hates you.” Twilight commented to her best friend. Trixie was at Twilight and Fluttershy’s cottage. Fluttershy was taking care of the bears and decided to leave Sunny Shores at home, with Twilight, due to bears being dangerous, even with a professional caretaker around. The filly in question was being held by her Unicorn mother. Sunny Shores was embracing her mother as she slept.

“You didn’t see him, Twilight. Rarity did, and even she says that it’s possible that my own son dislikes me. The books you gave me say nothing about foal’s behavior. What do I do? You have to help me, Twilight. How did you manage to make Sunny Shores love both you and Fluttershy?”

“I didn’t do anything, Trixie. Sunny just… loved us since the moment she saw us. Wait. Trixie, did you speak to Rarity’s belly when she was still pregnant?”

“What? No… why would I?”

Twilight sighed. “It was in one of the books, Trixie. It’s a simple exercise to make the unborn foal recognize your voice and get used to it.” Clementine was always with Rarity, so he heard her all through the eleven months of pregnancy.

“But Rarity and I spoke during those months, I was almost always with her. Couldn’t he hear me?”

“His hearing sense was developing. You needed to speak closer to him. That might be the reason. He doesn’t recognizes you and sees you as a barrier between him and Rarity.”

“Ugh, what a mess!” Trixie said as she put her chin on the table. “How can I make him recognize me, then?”

“I think that I don’t have a book in my library, but I can try asking for one at Canterlot’s library or the Crystal Empire’s.”

“Please, do it. This is killing me…!” Trixie saw that Sunny Shore’s was chewing Twilight’s hair. The lavender Unicorn was constantly removing her hair from her daughter’s mouth. “She bites when she sleeps, huh?”

“Always. She puts everything she finds in her mouth. She normally sleeps with her pacifier, but I can’t find it anywhere. I have to get a new one.”

Trixie couldn’t help but to smile at the scene. She wished her own son was more like Sunny Shores. “I should get going and apologize to Rarity. I wasn’t nice to her last night.” Trixie said as she stood up.

“Oh, sure. Send her my regards. And I wish you luck. I'll go to the Golden Oak as soon as Fluttershy returns.”

“Thanks again, Twilight.” The showmare hugged her best friend as she said that. She was careful to not touch the sleeping foal.

“That’s for what friends are for, Trixie. I’m glad you came.” Twilight said with a smile.

Trixie walked to the door, but somepony else opened it before she did.

“Oh, hello, Trixie… You’re leaving? I’m sorry for not being here.” Fluttershy said, looking down.

“Don’t worry, it’s fine. Maybe another time. I’m a little busy today.”

“Okay, I understand.” The timid Pegasus said as she walked next to her wife, retrieving her daughter on the process. “Did you tell her our idea?

It wasn’t a good time.

“What idea?” Even thought they were whispering, Trixie heard her friends.

“Don’t worry about it, Trixie. I’ll tell you another time.” Twilight said.

“No, no, it’s fine. You can tell me.” Trixie said as she sat by the door, showing that she wasn’t going until they talked.

Twilight sighed and spoke, knowing that her best friend had things to do. “Fluttershy had an idea. She and I didn’t have a date for a while due to having to take care of our daughter, and she suggested that you and Rarity could look after her while we go out someday. We’ll return the favor to you girls, of course.”

“Hmm…” Trixie thought as she put a hoof on her chin. “That’s not a bad idea. I’ll make sure to tell Rarity.”

“Really?” Fluttershy grinned. She was dying for having some time alone with Twilight. Not that she blamed her daughter, but she needed a night off. And Twilight needed one as well.

Trixie nodded and stood up. “Yes. You two need a date once in a while.” Both of her friends smiled at her. “I’ll see you later. Bye!”

“Bye, Trixie!” Both mares waved at their friend until she closed the door behind her. After Trixie left, Fluttershy walked to Sunny Shore’s bedroom, which used to be Trixie’s when she used to live with her. “I’ll put her in her cradle. Are you going to buy a new pacifier today, love?”

“Yes. I have to head out anyway. I was waiting for you to return.”

***

“Sweetheart?” Trixie called as she entered her home. She was holding a bouquet of lilies with her. She found her wife washing the dishes.

“Rarity?”

“Flowers won’t work this time, Trixie.” The fashionista spoke without looking at her.

“I’m sorry for being harsh on you last night. I couldn’t help it…”

“I’m not mad at you because of what happened last night.” Rarity said as she closed the faucets and glaring at Trixie. “I’m mad at you because you were gone all morning and you didn’t even leave me a note.”

“Oh, that…” Trixie sheepishly said as she scratched the back of her head.

“Yes, that. I woke up this morning hugging a pillow.”

“I’m sorry, Rarity…” Trixie spoke as she put the flowers on the table. “How can I make it up to you?”

“You can start by telling me where you were.”

“I went to visit Twilight. I asked if she knew what to do when a foal doesn’t show you the love they should. She’ll investigate for me. I’m sorry for not telling you but I came up with that idea just before falling asleep.”

“Hmm…” Rarity was still suspiciously staring at Trixie.

“I also have good news. Fluttershy had a good idea. She and Twilight want to have a date while we look after Sunny Shores. They will return us the favor one day. Isn’t that great?” Trixie grinned awkwardly at her wife, while Rarity kept looking serious. Silence took control of the ambience for some seconds until Rarity spoke, not changing her expression.

“Well, there’s a new restaurant I wanted to try.” The fashionista saw how Trixie happily bended her knees several times. Rarity couldn’t prevent a smile from appearing on her face. “Come here, my love.” Trixie walked closer to Rarity to receive a peck and a hug. “Just try to leave me a note next time with at least a word.”

“I’ll remember.” The magician pony said before moving her head to gaze at Rarity’s blue eyes. “It's too late for breakfast, so I'll just skip it.”

“Then I’ll prepare you a hearty lunch.” Rarity said before glancing at the clock. “I better get started. It’s already lunch time.” She added as she put an apron to cook.

“How’s little Clementine?” Trixie said as she walked to the couch. She magically took from the library a book from the Daring Do series. Rainbow Dash has introduced her to her favorite book series. Trixie always wondered how she could call them their favorites when she only read one series.

“He’s sleeping like a foal.”

Trixie looked at Rarity with seriousness. “That’s a joke Pinkie Pie would say.”

Rarity giggled. “I couldn’t help myself.”

Trixie shook her head with a smile and returned to her book, putting her glasses on. She had to wear them to read since her left eye would hurt after reading for some time. Due to this, one of the glasses were of common crystal, since the right eye was fine. At first, Trixie asked for a monocle, but Rarity refused.

“Absolutely not, Trixie! You will use proper glasses, not ruffian accessories.”

“Aww, that was the idea! I would look cool! I could play with Spike if I had one.”

Rarity facehoofed. “You have been reading comics with Spike again, haven’t you?”

Trixie chuckled by remembering this and shook her head. Rarity, you party-pooper.

Lunch was ready around half an hour later.

“Lunch is ready!” The fancy Unicorn called. Trixie put a bookmark in her book and trotted to the table.

“A special lunch, for my special mare.” Rarity said as she put a plate in front of Trixie. She accommodated the food to have the shape of a heart.

“It will be a shame to eat this. It looks great.” The magician pony commented and got ready to eat. But just before she could take a bite, Clementine started to cry.

“He may be hungry.” Rarity said as she removed her apron. “Start eating, Trixie. I’ll be back.”

Trixie nodded and began to eat, looking at the ceiling to listen to his son’s cries. She heard Rarity’s voice and the cries stopped. She was envious of her wife. Clementine loved her.

“But why not me?” Trixie wondered aloud. She stared blankly at a wall of the room while tears appeared from her eyes again. She looked down and saw her food which Rarity worked hard on to cheer her up. “No.” The blue Unicorn spoke again and cleaned her tears. “I can’t break down again, I can’t do this to Rarity. I have to be strong and wait for Twilight to find a book that can help me.” Trixie continued eating.

“Is it good?” Rarity asked when she returned, holding Clementine. She was feeding him.

“It’s delicious.” Trixie smiled at her wife. “I wasn’t the only one hungry, huh?”

“I thought that he would be hungry. He wasn't very hungry last night.

Trixie spoke again after taking another bite. “You still have a month off before opening the boutique again. What are you going to do?”

“Well, we haven’t taken Clementine to the park yet. We could arrange with our friends so he can finally meet Sunny Shores. We can meet tomorrow, I have to do some errands today.”

“That’s a good idea, sweetheart. He has to see the world.”

Rarity nodded. “Plus, I can tell Twilight and Fluttershy that we’ll look after their daughter whenever they want. Ouch! Not so hard, Clementine!”

“Does it hurts? But he has no teeth!”

“It’s a sensitive area, Trixie, and he’s rough.”

“He’ll learn. He doesn’t want to hurt you, so whenever he accidentally does so, he’ll feel bad and will try not to do it again. Or at least that’s what the books say.”

“Yeah, I know. I hope he stops before his teeth start to grow.”

“I’m sure that he will.”

After lunch, Rarity put Clementine on a bag to carry foals with her and was ready to leave.

“I shouldn’t take long. I may or may not be back when you return.” The fashionista said. Both she and Trixie were outside, by their front door.

“I’ll try to be quick too. I might bring something for tea time.”

“Okay.” Rarity said before giving Trixie a peck on her lips. “Come on, Clementine. Let’s do some errands with mommy.” She said the last while she walked away. Trixie stood still while she watched her wife and her son leave before walking towards her first destination.

***

“Sure! Ah’m free tomorrow, sugarcube. Ah could use some rest.” Applejack said as she walked to the next tree to buck.

“Wonderful!” Trixie excitedly exclaimed. “Do you know where can I find Rainbow Dash to ask her? That mare rarely stays still when she’s awake.”

“Ah can’t help you there, partner. Ah haven’t seen her all day. Have you tried her home?”

“Not yet. I thought that she would be with you which is why I came here first.”

“She always appears in the end. Just keep lookin’.” Applejack put a basket under an apple tree and prepared to kick it, but just as she was about to kick, something fell from the tree and on the farmer pony, making her lose her balance. Her Stetson fell of her head. “What in tarnation?!” Applejack exclaimed as she rubbed her head. She opened an eye to see what hit her. “Rainbow Dash!”

The cyan Pegasus was laughing out loud. “I got you good, AJ!”

“That wasn’t funny!”

“My smile says otherwise.” Rainbow Dash said as she stood up, barely controlling her laughter.

Applejack stood up . “Where you on that tree all day? Waiting for me to come?”

Rainbow Dash nodded. “I had nothing better to do.” The Pegasus looked at Trixie. “Hey there. I’m free tomorrow too.”

“What…?” Trixie was dumbfounded. “Oh, right! Great! I’ll see you two there, then. I’ll ask Pinkie Pie now. Goodbye!”

“Bye!” Rainbow Dash waved at her friend as she left before gazing back at Applejack. She didn’t have a friendly look. “Oh, come on. Don’t tell me that you’re mad.”

“What do ya think?! You scared me!”

“I scared the brave Applejack?” Rainbow Dash started to laugh again. “Oh, wow. That’s new!”

“Rainbow!” Applejack was blushing. “Ah’m a pony, Ah get scared like everypony else! But ah don’t let fear to get to me that easily, especially when in danger.”

“Don’t worry, AJ. I’m not telling anypony.”

“You won’t?”

“Of course not. “Rainbow Dash said as she put a hoof on one of Applejack’s cheeks.” But that doesn’t means that I won’t mock you.”

Applejack chuckled. “Ah hate you.”

“Why do I find that difficult to believe?” The Pegasus said before kissing Applejack on her lips. Applejack returned the kiss without hesitating.

***

Trixie was walking through Ponyville. She stopped by the candy shop. “I wonder how good these candies are? I would buy something but I heard that the owner isn’t nice. I believe that Bon Bon is her name. Well, her loss.” Trixie continued on her way to Sugarcube Corner.

“Trixie!” The blue Unicorn stood still and looked at the direction the voice came from. It was Twilight. “I was heading to your home, but good thing that I found you here! I have good news.”

“You do? Is it about the book?”

“Yes and no. I asked both Princesses Celestia and Cadence and they told me that they don’t have any book available, but Princess Cadence had something better, advice.”

“Really?”

Twilight nodded. “She’s the Princess of love, so naturally she knows what to do in situations like these. She wrote this letter to you.” The
lavender Unicorn gave Trixie a sealed letter. “She told me that all you need to know is there.”

“This… is… fantastic!” Trixie said before hugging her best friend. “Thank you so much! I’ll read it as soon as I go home.”

“You’re most welcome, Trixie.”

“Oh, are you and Fluttershy free tomorrow? Rarity and I want Clementine to meet Sunny Shores.”

“Sure! We were just wondering if you were ready to take Clementine to the park. We’ll be there.”

“Alright. Pinkie Pie is the only one I haven't asked yet. I’m heading to her place now. I’ll talk to you later.” They waved at each other before continuing on separate paths.

Trixie kept looking at the letter she had now on her possession. I can’t wait to read this!

Author's Note:

Clementine is such an adorable foal, don’t you think? :ajbemused:

Trixie, I like you. Why do I keep torturing you? :rainbowlaugh:

Before you say “Applejack was visibly scared in ‘Castle-mania’!” Let me remind you that this is prior Season 3 finale :raritywink:

Next chapter is the last one, then it comes the epilogue. Stay tuned! :twilightsmile:

I want to thank Wonder for revising this chapter before its release! :pinkiehappy: