• Published 18th May 2015
  • 2,483 Views, 42 Comments

Dresses for a Princess - twilightsparkle3562



Rarity attempts to remake all of Twilight's old dresses after they are destroyed in the Golden Oak Library.

  • ...
5
 42
 2,483

Sleepless Nights

“Dresses for a Princesses”
By TwilightSparkle3562

Chapter 1

“Sleepless Nights”

Ever since she had heard her brother mention of the best mare dress she lost in the library explosion while confronting Tirek, Twilight could not help but think of all the sentimental items that were also lost. After all, she had mentioned that two of the books that she tried to sell in Rainbow Falls were of value to her, even if she didn’t read them anymore. These were items that made her who she was and now, they were gone. Because of this, Twilight couldn’t sleep that night and spent the rest of the night instead pacing around her bedroom.

“Twilight,” called a groggily voice coming from the hallway. “Is everything all right?”

But Twilight didn’t respond to the voice and instead kept pacing around her bedroom. After a moment, a small purple baby dragon holding a small light blue blanket in one claw and a doll in Rarity’s likeness in another, entered her bedroom and it was only then did she stop pacing.

“Oh, sorry if I kept you up Spike,” she sighed, feeling slightly embarrassed. “I certainly wasn’t trying to.”

However, the thought of being kept up late was the last thing for Spike to think about. He had seen Twilight stressed many times before, but this was something completely different. In his mind, he thought that losing the Golden Oak Library was still plaguing his friend’s mind, even though the library had been recreated as a chandelier.

“You know, Twilight,” he said as Twilight sat back down on the edge of her bed. “I’ve been worried about you lately. I know you are ready for us to make new memories here, but I can’t help but wonder why you are acting this way.”

Twilight lowered her head and let out a deep sigh, before turning back her attention towards Spike. She was certainly struggling inside and it showed.

“Well, I don’t know if you remembered that Shining Armor got angry at Discord today,” explained Twlight. “He came here this morning and told me to summon him at once and after I did, I listened to Shining Armor yell at him for betraying Equestria.”

“Of course he will act like that, Twilight,” replied Spike, placing his claw on Twilight’s hoof. “He’s your brother after all. It’s normal, I mean, you do the same with me.”

“Its not that,” cried Twilight, her voice slightly panicked, causing Spike to get scared. “It was what Shining Armor said that really got me upset. Discord is somepony that we can at least try to trust, but something else has been really bothering me.”

Spike saw Twilight closed her eyes and a small tear trickled down her face. It seemed that something was really hurting Twilight and he needed to find out why.

“Care to tell me what it is, Twilight?” asked Spike. “We are friends you know and we made a pact to tell each other what is bothering us.”

Twilight then let out another sigh and at that point, she revealed to her number one assistant what was on her mind.

“Well, Spike,” she said, trying to hold back tears. “We both know hard it was to lose the Golden Oak Library. Thanks to my friends, we got it back as a chandelier to hang in the throne room. But, there were some valuable items that I will never get back because of Tirek.”

Spike knew very well what Twilight was talking about. Up until that moment, Twilight had been very quiet about the library’s loss. When it blew up, the life Twilight had was also gone with it. Everything she had owned ever since moving to Ponyville was lost in the explosion and it was devastating to her.

“I mean, all my letters to Celestia,” she said, slightly choking up. “My books and pictures that I treasured and especially all my clothes that Rarity made for me. Everything that I ever had was gone!”

Twilight then lowered her head and quietly sobbed as Spike tried to console her. Not every victory that Twilight and her friends had obtained was going to come out without a scratch.

“I’m sure we can try to replace them as best we can,” suggested Spike, rubbing one of Twilight’s wings. “I mean we can come up with something. Princess Celestia has sent you new books from Canterlot and the memories of our time in the library are on the ornaments on the chandelier. Plus, we still have our friendship journal. You can write your letters to Celestia in them, if you can remember. We’ve been through worse situations before, you know, Twilight and there is always a light at the end of tunnel.”

“You don’t understand, Spike,” cried Twilight, bluntly ignoring her assistant’s suggestions. “Some of those clothes Rarity made held memories in them and made me who I am along with my books, my pictures and my letters. My Winter Wrap Up vest that the town gave me as All Team Organizer; my Gala Dress that I wore to the Grand Galloping Gala; my Best Mare dress that I wore in my brother’s wedding; the dress Rarity made for my birthday along with my Starswirl the Bearded Costume that I made myself. Everything in those outfits held a memory and those held the most memories next to my books.”

At the same time, Spike could start to feel the pain that his friend was going through. Like Twilight, he also lost items of value to him, such as the small basket that he had always slept in; all his comic books and more so, the pictures of Pee Wee, the phoenix that he saved from the teenage dragons before later returning to his parents. He knew that he had his own sentimental values to deal with, but Twilight was far more important.

“Um, Twilight,” said Spike, nudging her to get her attention. “I’m pretty sure that Rarity can make you new dresses. I mean, she can even recreate all your dresses for you, even though you may never wear them again. Besides, you are going to need a whole new wardrobe for all those important royal duties that come with being a princess."

But Twilight stayed silent as the message was absorbed into her mind. In her mind, remaking the old dresses would bring back memories of that dark day in her life. However, Spike was seeing otherwise.

“Come on, Twilight,” pleaded Spike. “Let Rarity help you get back something that holds value to you. If your friends can bring back the library and turn it into a chandelier, then maybe she can bring back your dresses to remind you of the memories that you made during those periods of time. If Applejack can give you rustic farm décor for the kitchen, Rainbow Dash can give you Daring Do posters for the library and Fluttershy can give you stuffed animals for your bedroom, then Rarity can help you with your wardrobe.”

To prove his point on the stuffed animals, Spike walked over and picked up one of the stuffed animals that Fluttershy had given her, handing it to her. This made Twilight feel slightly better as she placed the stuffed animal next to her bed.

“I’m pretty sure that Rarity can figure something out,” said Twilight, feeling slightly better. “If she can decorate my dining room then maybe she could give back something of value to me. Get some sleep, Spike. Tell her about it in the morning.”

So, Spike allowed his friend to fall back asleep with the reassurance of Rarity possibly giving Twilight a new wardrobe that would be fit for a princess. However, not before setting off one of Pinkie Pie’s confetti cannons as he made his way back to his bedroom.

It was going to be a tall order for the pony he loved dearly, but Spike was determined to make his closest friend and mother figure adjust to her new castle, no matter how hard it would take.