• Published 18th May 2015
  • 9,166 Views, 570 Comments

World of Ponies: The Pony-Human War - ShadowWalking18



Three years after fleeing Canterlot. Catus and his people soon find themselves in a war they are sorely unprepared for.

  • ...
42
 570
 9,166

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 24 - Human/Pony: Plans and Forgiveness(Winters End 2)

Twilight

Twilight felt a bit uncomfortable when ponies bowed. It just still never felt right, especially from ponies in Ponyville. They had all known her when she first arrived in town, and since her ascension to alicornhood, it was like those years had never happen. Still, she knew from experience that the more she had tried to get them to stop they more they seemed to do it.

'As long as my friends don't do it, I guess its okay.' She thought, as she made her way through the large crowd which was now occupying an area of her castle near the royal apartments.

Behind her, Spike followed after her.

"I can't believe that guy is here." Spike said with some disgust.

Twilight of course knew he meant Blueblood. The whole town was in an uproar at the sudden arrival of one of Equestria's royalty after the announcement of his capture some time ago. The news had been a shock to many ponies in Equestria, but for some the news had been more....uh....conflicted.

"Frankly I can't decide if I should feel sorry for that vulgar brute, or for Castus to having to put up with him." Were the words Rarity had told her at the last Friendship Council meeting.

But now the prince had somehow managed to escape his capture, if returning in a somewhat battered state. And as a member of the Equestrian Royalty, he had requested to be put up in the Castle of Friendship till he was recovered. Which of course was why ponies were gathered in the castle; as everypony wanted to hear of the great princes escape from the clutches of the human warband.

"Ugh, this guy is so milking it."

Well maybe not everypony.

Twilight saw Rainbow Dash and her friends standing near a corner of the door to the apartments where ponies were crowded around. Within, Twilight could just barely hear Blueblood no doubt recounting his 'epic' escape.

An escape Twilight felt was no doubt greatly embellished.

"Now Rainbow Dash, I'm sure he is just adding a little flare to....make it more interesting." Twilight said as she joined her friends.

"A little? More like a lot. Even I don't brag that much." Rainbow Dash said, looking inside.

"And that's sayin' something." Applejack said, earning a look from Dash.

"They are right darling," Rarity said, "That...ugh...braggart...is tying these ponies around his hoof. Ugh, I bet his escape was more of a intentional release."

Twilight frowned, and looked within. She saw Blueblood, and rolled her eyes as he recounted some daring battle of his escape to a group of wide eyed young fillies just entering into marehood. The prince's body had an assortment of bandages about him, some Twilight knew were real; but others she was sure he had added on. She didn't recall him needing an arm cast.

"The human guards came at me left and right. Their weapons aimed ready for the kill, and I was left with nothing but a dagger and broken arm to defend myself." Blueblood said, his voice heavy with dramatics.

"But the humans didn't account for my magic, and as they came rushing at me with frothing mouths and snarling growls I sent them scattering with a flick of my horn." Blueblood finished with a flourish of his horn and caused a slight sensation in the crowd.

"My way was clear, and with all my strength I rushed for the exit, leaving the battered and broken bodies of my guards in my wake when out of the shadows, cloaked in black and burning eyes stepped the evil himself.....Castus!"

A gasp of freight came amongst the crowds of ponies. And Twilight saw, a flinch from out of the corner of her eye. Turning, she looked at Fluttershy, who was hiding in her mane.

Twilight frowned and placed a hoof on her friends shoulder, "Fluttershy, maybe you should go home. Nopony would hold it against you."

Fluttershy looked at her, and Twilight felt torn seeing the sadness in her friends eyes. In the three years since Castus had left, Fluttershy had not been treated well by some ponies in town; at least until Rainbow Dash made it clear she wasn't going to allow it. Still, she knew that Castus was a sore subject for the shy Pegasus.

But it was the reason why everypony, even the was here.

"N-No. I-I'll stay." Fluttershy said.

Twilight frowned, but nodded and taking a breath to calm her nerves and prepare herself, she stepped into the crowded room. The ponies moved to make way as she stepped through. Some offering bows, and others a harsh glare towards Fluttershy as her friends followed after her.

"Ah cousin Twilight. I am glad you have come to grace me with your presence. I do hope my dear aunt is on her way, as I have vital information for the war she must know. I would of course travel to Canterlot, but my condition does prevent me from travelling far." Blueblood said, noticing her.

"Where is a sewing pin when you need one." Rarity muttered, and earned a giggle from Rainbow Dash.

"Yes, well that is the reason I am here. If all of you could please leave the room, there is important royal business that I and my....cousin....must speak of." Twilight said, trying her best to speak with that air of authority that Luna had begun drilling into her.

Ponies bowed, and though some gave some grumbles, most of them began filing out of the room.

Most of them.

"I say, I will not be asked to leave when it is our daughter who is no doubt being tortured by that animal as we speak. I think we have a right to know where he is at." Spoke one pony.

"My daughter is also held captive, and now those horrible beasts have killed my husband! I will not leave till I know where they are and my daughter is safely returned to her home!" shouted another pony.

Twilight groaned inwardly, and looked toward the other problem. Filthy Rich, and Spoiled Rich, Diamond Tiara's parents; and Scootaloo's mother, Caring Heart.

When Applebloom and Sweetie Belle had shown up, and told her that Scootaloo and Tiara were missing after having a fight, Twilight had been quick to organize a search. The search had led into the Everfree, and when this news had been learned, it had been believed that the girls had found their end to one of the monsters in the forest. But then she had received a message.

A message from Castus.

It had been a strange orb like item that when smashed against the wall had created a shadow version of Castus. Twilight had tried a tracer spell, but it had failed. The shadow Castus hadn't spoke much only stating that he had Scootaloo and Diamond Tiara in his custody and would keep them safe till a time to return them was appropriate.

In short they were his prisoners. Suffice to say, the news had not gone over well in the town or with the parents. Caring Heart herself had gone pale and fainted; and with the lose of her husband the poor mare looked like a nervous wreck. Twilight felt sorry for her deeply, but knew that any information on the whereabouts of Castus or the girls might spark unwise actions among the angry populous.

"Mr. and Mrs. Rich. Caring Heart, I understand your worry-" Twilight started, till Spoiled Rich interrupted her.

"Understand!? Understand!? How can you understand having to worry over a daughter who is no doubt being defiled by some disgusting monster of a human. And you! This is all your fault! If it wasn't for you, this never would have happened!" Spoiled Rich said, before pointing and turning on Fluttershy.

Fluttershy flinched and hid in her mane.

"Hey! Leave her alone!" Rainbow Dash shouted, instinctively coming to her friends aid, "It isn't her fault that Castus did all this. If you have to blame someone then keep it at him!"

"Indeed, its simply barbaric to lay the blame of anothers actions on somepony who had nothing to do with it." Rarity said, standing by Fluttershy.

"She should have gassed that mongrel. Her obsession with animals is the reason why that beast hadn't been gassed in the first place!" Spoiled Rich said.

"Everypony stop!" Twilight said, casting a Still spell in agitation; and thus leaving everypony in the room frozen with only their eyes able to move.

"I am the Princess of Friendship, and I will not have you insulting one of my friends; and members of the Friendship Council!" Twilight said, giving Spoiled Rich a stern look like Celestia would do.

Spoiled Rich stood still, but her eyes showed she looked worried now.

"Now, all of you will leave. When I have determined the value of Blueblood's information you shall be the first to hear of it, but the longer it takes means the longer before your daughters are returned." Twilight said, releasing them all from the spell.

"But-" Filthy Rich started.

"Now!" Twilight said, slipping into the Royal Canterlot Voice. The Riches shot away and out the door. Caring Heart looked scared, but gave a curtsey and left.

Twilight took a slow breath, and let it out.

"Wow Twilight. That was awesome!" Rainbow Dash said.

"Ha, who knew y'all could speak in that fancy royal voice thing like Luna could." Applejack said.

"Indeed Darling, I must say you simply radiated royalty and control there. Good show." Rarity said.

"That was awesome! You were all like, RAAGGGH! and they were all like AHHH!"

Twilight blushed, and looked at the ground, "Sorry, I didn't mean to do that. Luna had been teaching me on how to use the voice and I guess I just slipped into it."

"Uh, not to interrupt but you did wish to speak to me yes?" Blueblood said.

Twilight inwardly sighed, and turned to Blueblood.

"Yes, Blueblood. Now if we could-" Twilight started.

"Cousin Twilight, what of them?" Blueblood said, looking at the girls.

Twilight felt her skin crawl every time he said that, but ignored it as she said, "These are my friends Blueblood and are members of the Friendship Council. They have every right to be here."

"Ah, of course, the friendship council." Blueblood said, though his tone carried an air of uncaring as he blew a strand of his mane out of his face.

"Good, Princess Celestia is on her way, along with a force of Royal Guards, but she asked me to ascertain the location of where you were held before she arrived. So....where was it?" Twilight asked.

Blueblood looked at her, "In the most horrible of places. They kept me caged like an animal, feeding me scraps and letting wild hounds bite at my hooves for amusement. They-"

"Oh just tell us already!" Rainbow Dash snapped.

Blueblood looked at Rainbow Dash with shock, then huffed, "Oh fine. They were in the Everfree, at the old castle of the two sisters."

Twilight blinked in surprise. Castus and his humans had been practically right next door to them. It was shocking, impossible and also a bit frightening. Twilight for a moment had images of screaming humans charging from the forest with fire and steel. But she shook those thoughts away.

"Are you certain?" Twilight said.

"Of course. They were living right next to that crystal tree thing." Blueblood said.

Another surprise, but one Twilight couldn't say anything about as the doors opened and everyone turned to see Celestia herself standing before them.

"So...that is where they are." Celestia said, as she gripped her golden halberd. Behind her stood a squad of Equestria's finest. The Royal Guards. The best warriors in all of Equestria; the only ones fit to guard the princesses.

"Of course. Naturally I will be glad to lead the charge once I am recovered..." Blueblood said.

"No. I am handling this myself. Stay here and rest Blueblood." Celestia said.

"But-" Blueblood began.

"No buts!" Celestia snapped at Blueblood, which shut him up.

Celestia nodded to them all, and turned to leave; her guards following.

As she left, Twilight felt a slight pang of worry. Despite his crimes and atrocities, she did somewhat worry about Castus. He had been so nice, and she could only wonder what would happen when Celestia arrived.

"Twilight!"

From the door, Spike burst through and was panting.

"Spike what is it?" Twilight asked.

"The-the sky. You got to see it!" Spike said, puffing and huffing.

The sky?

Twilight looked at her friends confused, and they all left the room and headed toward the closest window in the hall.

The sun was gazing out down at them from clear blue skies. Twilight could practically feel its warmth and she stared up at the now clear skies as if she had never once seen blue before. After so many months of constant clouds and snow, to see the sun again.

'Is this a sign?' Twilight thought.


Marcus

Marcus sat with the other remaining Huntmasters in the war room. Despite his words to young Valen's brother, he himself also felt conflicted on the recent events. For three years the clans had always been united, but now a schism had occurred. And it seemed that schism was affecting the remaining clans as well.

"What do we do now? With half of the clans gone, half of our forces are thus gone. Can we continue to fight?" Said Ulfric.

"Why fight? The Fire Man has made it clear he won't tolerate pony deaths; despite the deaths they have given us." Grumbled Kraben.

Marcus gave Karn a look, "The Fire Man will not tolerate innocent deaths Karn. You should be wise to remember that."

Kraben scowled and spat, "What is an innocent pony? They are all monsters."

"I agree. The ponies do nothing but hold our brothers and sisters as slaves and kill us who wish to be free. They are savages." Camus said, hitting his fist to the stone table.

Marcus frowned, "If you think such, then why did you stay?"

Kraben and Camus blinked, and both looked away from Marcus. Marcus of course knew their reasons. Despite their words, he felt he knew that the Huntmasters knew what Krul did was wrong. And on top of that, they were afraid. Afraid of what fate would await them without the Fire Man. Or perhaps the Fire Man himself is what they feared.

Marcus knew that he feared the Fire Man, though not only of his wrath. But for his health. He did not tell others, but sometimes he would catch the Fire Man in deep mumbled conversations with...-

-...With himself. A sign madness, and Marcus also could see that the stress of war and now Kruls betrayal was greatly affecting him. Frankly it tore Marcus within to see the man falling apart.

"Marcus. What do you make of Kruls actions?" Mogrim asked.

All eyes now turned to Marcus, and he frowned as he thought carefully on his words.

"Krul...Krul became a beast." Marcus said, thinking on his words that he told young Franz.

"A beast?" Theodric and Kraben said.

"What do you mean Marcus?" Camus asked.

Marcus stood up, and leaned against the stone table, "The ponies....what do you think they see us as?"

The Huntmasters all looked at each other, then at him. None really had an answer it seemed, for they looked at him confused.

"They see us, as animals. As savages. Think of our lost brothers and sisters who them hold. You have seen them, they act as animals. We are freed from the darkness, but the Shadowed Ones are what the ponies compare us too." Marcus said.

Kraben scowled, "How can they see us like that? We act nothing like the Shadowed Ones."

"One doesn't need to act. They just need to look." Mogrim said.

"Indeed. The ponies see only a human. And for them humans are the Shadowed Ones. They won't bother to make a difference." Marcus said.

Camus and Kraben were silent, though both scowled as they thought on the words.

"We fight for our freedom. But we also now fight for our identity." Marcus said.

"Our identity?" Camus asked.

Marcus nodded, "We must not only fight to survive, but we must fight in ways that show our enemies that we are not simple animals that will attack without thought. Krul could not see that, and so he let himself become a beast."

"But the ponies attacked the Moot. We lost dozens of children and women to them. if anything they are the beasts." Camus said.

"And so we should respond in kind?" Marcus said.

"Huh?" Camus said, blinking once confused.

Marcus sighed, for all their wisdom, Kraben and Camus were often too straight forward thinking men that one could sometimes call them dense.

"The ponies killed our innocents, but if we respond in kind we make ourselves no better then them. Are we like them?" Marcus said.

Camus, Kraben, Mogrim and Theodric were silent.

"No, I do not think we are. We are men, not beasts and even if it is hard we must continue to strive to be men. And I know in my heart that what Krul did was not something a man should ever do. Honor. Men live by honor. And beasts do not." Marcus said.

"I know it is hard. The Fire Man knows this as well, but that is why we must trust him. He has always had our futures at heart, and even if his methods seem odd or confusing, I know he only wishes for us all to live in peace."

All the huntmasters were quiet, and for a moment Marcus wondered if his words were correct. But in unison, each Huntmaster stood and looked at him.

"I...don't full grasp your words, and I cannot say I understand the Fire Man. But I can understand you Marcus, and I trust you. If you feel that this path is right, I and my clan will follow." Theodric said.

"And mine, even if I worry for its end." Camus said.

"You were always the wiser of us, and the first of us. If you think this is right, I will agree." Kraben said.

"I have faith. And I know that this is the path we must take." Mogrim said.

"I question the Fire Man, but you have always looked out for all the clans Marcus." Ulfric said.

Marcus nodded, "Good. Then this meeting is done. We should seek out the Fire Man and-"

"Huntmasters!"

Marcus and the others turned to the door as a young hunter burst through.

"What is it boy?" Kraben said, scowling.

"Th-the prisoner. The one called Blueblood. H-he is gone! He has escaped." The hunter said.

"What!?" Theodric shouted.

"How did he escape? Have you told the Fire Man?" Marcus said.

"I- I don't know, but he killed two hunters and hurt others with his strange horn magic before fleeing out of the cave. We tried to give chase but he collapsed snow over the entrance. I tried to find the Fire Man but I cannot find him." The hunter said.

This caused a stir among the Huntmasters. Marcus could only wonder where the Fire Man was and he worried. But more so he worried of what the prisoners escape could mean. If he found a pony settlement, then the Sanctuary would be in danger.

"Clear the entrance to the cave and send out trackers. See if they can find him, he could not have gotten far in the woods. Now!" Marcus ordered, sending the hunter running.

Marcus could only hope that the prisoner was found swiftly, for if the Sanctuary was found then the war would be lost.

And so would the future of their kind.

'Fire Man. Where are you?' Marcus thought.


Marcus paced back and forth in the Hall of the Tree. It had been some time since the snow blocking the cave had been cleared and the trackers sent. The wounded from the escape were tended to, and the bodies of the hunters killed were being made ready for burning, but still no word from the trackers. Marcus hoped they returned soon, with the prisoner in tow.

And more then anything, he hoped that the Fire Man would return to wherever he was. But first thing was first, making sure the Sanctuary was still safe.

A bird call soon came, followed by another and then another. A hunter near the entrance gave a return call, and Marcus walked up to the entrance, as he saw the trackers making their way down to the cave.

Marcus frowned as he saw that the trackers were not carrying the prisoner. It caused him a greater chill then the snow.

"Huntmaster, we tracked the pony through the forest but..." the lead tracker said.

"But what?" Marcus asked.

"He...there was a pony settlement near an edge of the woods. We didn't see it till we reached the forest edge and the prisoners tracks led right toward the settlement. We turned back and moved as quickly as we could to return." the hunter said.

Marcus stamped the ground, "Darn it. Go and warm yourselves."

The trackers nodded and moved back into the cave. Marcus walked back in as well as the other Huntmasters moved to stand near him.

"So the prisoner escaped beyond our reach?" Ulfric said.

"Yes." Marcus said with a nod.

"We should pack up immediately. No doubt ponies could be on their way right now." Theodric said.

"We should have killed him. He led the attack on the Moot, if any pony deserved to die it was him." Kraben said.

"What is done is done." Marcus said

"Agreed. But where will we go? This winter will make it impossible to travel by foot, and where will we settle down next? All the land seems lost to the snow and ice, will we find a place with enough food to feed our clans?" Mogrim said.

"Where is the Fire Man?" Camus asked.

"Wherever he is, he must have a reason. Till he returns we must decide what is best for the clans." Marcus said.

"But what can we do Marcus? The snow continues to fall even when it should not. We will freeze if we leave. There is no where else we can go safely and prosper." Ulfric said.

"Indeed. It may be, our end has come." Mogrim said.

Marcus bit his lip, and he tried to think of an answer when a gasp from the entrance caught his attention.

"Look." A hunter said, pointing outside.

Outside where snow no longer fell.

Marcus and the others blinked and they and many others all began moving to the entrance of the cave, and gazing up at the now clear blue skies and feeling the warmth of the sun shine down on them.

"How...is winter at last over?" Marcus said.

"At last." Theodric said.

"But how? Why now?" Camus asked.

"Because the powers behind it have been banished. But it was the cold in our hearts which brought them."

Everyone soon turned, and Marcus nearly fell to his knees as he saw the Fire Man standing before them, a tear in the air behind him which soon closed.

"Fire Man!" Everyone called. Marcus himself felt relief to see their leader, and as he moved closer to talk he also saw that the Fire Man seemd....better.

There seemed to be a weight lifted from his shoulders, and despite the sad look in his eyes Marcus could see a peace in his eyes. A peace that Marcus had not seen in a long time.

"What do you mean the cold in our hearts?" Kraben asked.

"Where have you been?" Marcus asked.

The Fire Ma lifted a hand, "At ease. I will explain."

Everyone was quiet, and they listened as the Fire Man spoke.

"I have learned, that the winter that seemed endless was caused by spirits of ice and cold. Windigos. They are spirits drawn by conflict and hate during the winter months, and while our war did not originally awaken them, as our hatred and anger toward the Equestrians and they to us grew, so too did the Windigos grow in power. The moaning we all must have heard in the wind and air at times....those were the windigos."

Marcus shivered, and remembered when he too had heard a moan. Other too also shivered or looked out of the cave, no doubt remembering a time of a similar event as well.

"But they are gone?" Mogrim asked.

"Yes. I do not think they will return. But, their presence shows that this war we fight must end." The Fire Man said.

Around him, Marcus could hear mummered conversation. But he stepped toward the Fire Man and spoke, "Fire Man. The prisoner Blueblood has escaped and made contact with ponies. I fear our presence will be in danger."

The Fire Man frowned and Marcus saw new worry come over him.

"Damn it. If we are found out, then we cannot stay." The Fire Man said.

"But where will we go Fire Man?" Marcus asked, and all around grew quiet to listen.

"We cannot stay, but we cannot run. If we run, the war will continue and to in frankness, I do not wish to run away any more. If we are to be free, we must stand firm now." The Fire Man said.

"Are we to fight the ponies head on?" Ulfric asked.

The Fire Man frowned, "Perhaps. Though I hope we do not, but we stand before them and end this war one way or another."

"Fire Man, our numbers are too small and what of our clans. Where will they go while we go off to fight?" Theodric asked.

The Fire Man sighed, then took a breath, "I know, you worry. And I know, I have not done much to allieviate your worries."

Marcus frowned, but they all listened as the Fire Man continued.

"I have not, in recent times been the best leader. And I have no doubt made you question me, made you fear me. I am sorry, so very sorry. But I ask you," The Fire Man said, and he got on his knees before them all. An action which took many by surprise.

"I ask you. Let me lead you all, one last time. And I will do all I can, to give you peace." The Fire Man said.

Marcus and everyone looked at the Fire Man. It was odd to see him do such a thing, and many grumbled inwardly to themselves. But Marcus did not grumble and he stepped forward.

"You have always led us right. And I will follow you always." He said, and he knelt to the Fire Man.

The Fire Man smiled at him, and then looked as the other Huntmasters and others in the room slowly all stepped forward and knelt.

"Thank you." The Fire Man said as he stood up. And as he stood, Marcus saw his eyes widen.

Marcus turned to see what the Fire Man was looking at, and saw Valen and the orange pony. He wondered what the two were doing outside, but he kept his questions in as he watched as the Fire Man approached the orange pony. And then fell to his knees and began to cry.


Scootaloo

As she and Valen made their way back to where the humans were camped, Scootaloo often found her hoof brushing up to Valen's hand, or her wing brushing his back. Yet at the same time, she did her best to keep some distance between her and him. It was a difficult challenge, wanting to be both close to him and yet she felt she couldn't at the moment.

Not right now.

The pain of losing her father was still too fresh, and while she knew in her heart that Valen had not wanted to it to happen, she still blamed him in some part of her mind. She wanted to forgive, but it wasn't and wouldn't be easy.

It would take time.

But she had made her peace with him on that. Now there was somepony else she needed to see.

Castus.

Scootaloo didn't know what she would say to him, or he to her. It was a worrying thing, especially since she had blamed him as well. But she needed to speak with him, and set things right. She only hoped he was there.

Apparently he had run off after she fled, as Valen told her, and that had made Scootaloo worry a bit. She had seen Castus in the days past and she could recognize deep stress when she saw it. He had been stressing himself a great deal, and she worried that her outburst at him might have pushed him over the edge. She was worried about what he might do.

And as the cave entrance to the human camp came into view, she had to take a deep breath to steel herself.

"You don't need to go back. I can take you out of the woods still." Valen said.

Scootaloo looked at him, and shook her head, "No. I can do this."

Valen just nodded, and the two began the walk into the cave, and upon a confusing sight.

There were a bunch of humans, all knelt before someone. When Scootaloo looked, she saw it was Castus. Their presence didn't go unnoticed as Scootaloo saw Castus look at her, and everyone looked to her and Valen.

Scootaloo ignored the others though as she looked at Castus, and watched as he approached her. She stepped a bit closer to Valen, but kept her eyes on Castus.

He looked...calmer. Sad, but calm. Like if he got something off his shoulder.

"Scootaloo." Castus said to her, and to her shock he fell to his knees and began to cry.

"I'm sorry. I'm so sorry." Castus weeped, sniffling.

Scootaloo blinked, and smiled sadly as she knelt down and wrapped her arms around Castus.

"I know. I know." Scootaloo said, finding it odd to having to comfort someone again. When it had been with Valen it had been just them, but with all those other humans it felt kinda embarrassing.

And yet, it seemed to remove one last weight away and so she let Castus weep as she held him, and he her. She knew it would be a long time before she could forgive him fully, but in this moment she felt glad that she could see somepony or someone she cared about again.


Castus

After his moment with Scootaloo, Castus took some time to compose himself before taking charge of the situation. He had returned with another big helping on his plate, and it would be the largest yet.

Blueblood gone. The Sanctuary compromised. True the winter was over, but the war was not. Not yet.

All around him, all the hunters the clans could gather, young and old, were gathering and clad for battle with thick hide and leather and now all wielded metal tipped spears, and held captured Equestrian swords, hammers and axes. Others with bow and metal tipped arrows, but the ones who stood out the most in this gathering of warriors were the women.

Women stood apart from the men, but they too were dressed for battle; though they looked less comfortable in the wear. Never the less, Castus could see the fire in their eyes. The resolve, as they gripped spear, sling and bow.

It had not been an easy thing, convincing the Huntmasters to allow the trained women to join in the hunters when they left. And frankly he had to compromise by saying they would only take volunteers, though he was not surprised when many women were willing to fight. The need to protect their families driving the to heights of bravery and resolve.

It wasn't enough to make up for the loss of six clans, but Castus felt glad for the extra troops.

He just hoped he wouldn't need them.

'I will take the first step. Even if it might be my last.' He thought.

As the hunters got ready, family made their good byes. The elderly and those too young of the clans he would send to one last place he thought they might be safe, though he worried how she would react. The details of course he kept only to himself.

As the last of the hunters were ready, and the clans ready, Castus turned to Zecora, Scootaloo and Tiara. Scootaloo was looking at him with a frown.

"Are you girls ready?"

Scootaloo walked up to him and gave him one last hug, which he returned. Then she let go and she and Tiara both rushed to be the first to hug Valen good bye first.

Castus had to surpress a chuckle at the boy's flustered look as he uncomfortably hugged by girls, before they let go and stood beside Zecora and the clans.

"Zecora, I am sorry for what I have done to you. I hope you can forgive me one day." He said.

"I am only glad to see, that you are beginning to act like a man." Zecora said, and giving him a nod.

Castus nodded, and handed his message to Scootaloo.

"Give this to her when you see her. And tell her...tell her I'm sorry." Castus said.

Scootaloo took the message, and said, "I'll give it to her, but you can tell her. You better come back. You both better."

Castus smiled and nodded, "Pinkie Promise."

Scootaloo smiled and nodded.

Castus smiled and drawing upon the Wind, he opened a Waygate and slowly the clans walked through to a lone cottage, along with Scootaloo, Tiara and Zecora. When the last clan member was through, Castus closed the Waygate and turned to the gathered hunters.

All eyes stared at him and he took a deep breath.

"Warriors. We go now to end this war, and one way or another it will end. And let us make it an end that will be spoke of for years to come." He said as he opened another Waygate and he and the hunters all made their march.

Their last march, one way or another.

PreviousChapters Next