• Published 18th May 2015
  • 9,165 Views, 570 Comments

World of Ponies: The Pony-Human War - ShadowWalking18



Three years after fleeing Canterlot. Catus and his people soon find themselves in a war they are sorely unprepared for.

  • ...
42
 570
 9,165

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23 - Pony/Human: Making Amends and Escapes(Winters End 1)

Castus

Castus staggered about as his body was assaulted by biting cold. His hands gripped his head as he tried to get the whispers of memories that told him to go back and kill Valen for disobedience. He was a Valhruan mage, a member of the High Caste, Lord of the Flying Cities of Undernfall, Kairos and his own personal city of Karsun! He was one of the Lords of the Second Triumvirate, and Valen was just a lowly Low Caste. A mere barbarian who barely knew even a fraction of the great glory of Valhrua!

'No! That isn't me!' He thought, and tried to dash away the thoughts.

How had this all come about? In the past he had known that he sometimes confused his self with Karsus, but he had never felt that his own identity was at risk. He had always been able to differentiate the two memories that inhabited his brain, Karsus' and his. but now, now things were different.

The war. It had to be the war. The stress. The worry. The fear. The anger. It was the only explanation that he could think of. It was the Equestrians fault! It had always been the ponies fault. Just as the alicorns had tried to keep them chained, now the Equestrians were trying to do the same.

'Fools! They exist because we made them! They should bow down and worship us!' He thought with bitter resentment.

'No! That is the past! And that wasn't me!' He shouted, and he staggered, only barely catching himself from going over the ledge. Castus stopped and stared down at the sheer drop of the mountain top he stood upon. His body registering the sheer cold which surrounded him, but he couldn't bring himself to think about it.

The biting cold and the howling wind. But it was in its own way quiet, and peaceful. Which is what he needed to think.

Stepping back from the ledge, Castus sat himself upon a snow covered rock, and thought. He needed to think, and he needed to bring this conflict within his head to an end. Before it tore him to pieces.


Blueblood

Blueblood leaned against the roots which barred his cell. He looked left and right, and saw that there was no guard. It had been a strange time, and he had to force himself to wait just to be sure. He had not known what had called away the guard that patrolled around his cell, but now that he was gone Blueblood felt a surge of excitement and anticipation.

'Now is my chance.' He thought, and he began using the sharpened stone he had worked on for days on the roots.

It was hard work, the roots were thick, but for once they did not move like snakes. Blueblood kept up his cutting, clearing one root and beginning on another.

His mane was a tangled mess, and his coat was blemished with dirt and mud. His hooves nearly chipped and dirty. Not to mention his dignity insulted by these brutes. But he would make them pay for this affront to his person.

He would have preferred to use his magic, but he had tried twice in his early days of capture, and always the human Castus seemed to know. Blueblood suspected a magic sense spell. It would mean he would need to spare the use of his magic for the final push.

Finally, Blueblood managed to clear enough of the roots to just barely squeeze through. He had to tear his princely garbs, but they were already filthy and tattered.

"Yes." He said as he began stalking down the hall, keeping as close to the stone wall as possible. He went slow, keeping his ears up and turning at the slightest bit of sound.

He neared the edge of the hall, when he heard the sounds of footsteps. Blueblood pressed himself up against the wall and peeked only slightly. He saw two humans walking his way, spears in hand. The two were in a discussion in their strange, and frankly crude language.

Blueblood pressed himself against the stonewall, and held his breath. While he didn't doubt his own superior skill to that of these crude barbarians, they did have the advantage of something resembling a weapon. Even if they were just crude spears, and all he had was a rock.

Keeping as still as he could, Blueblood watched as the humans walked into the hall in which he stood. For a moment he thought they were going to pass him without seeing, when one of the humans stopped and sniffed the air. Blueblood cursed, realizing that his lack of a proper bath must have given him away. He acted quickly and brought his sharpened stone down at the humans head. The stone hit the humans head with a crack, and Blueblood saw blood as the human fell. The other human turned, and moved to shout. Blueblood acted on instinct now as he dove at the human, head lowered and slammed his horn into the humans chest.

The human gasped and gargled as he fell, and Blueblood fell with him. His head shook from the blow of hitting the humans chest and he worked to club his rock at the humans head as he struggled to free his horn. With a tug he finally pulled his now blood and gore covered horn from the humans chest, and looked down at the creatures beaten face. He breathed heavily, but smiled and gave the body a few vicious kicks, and a few to the other human who amazingly was not dead, but lay groaning on the ground.

Blueblood though knew he couldn't stay, and though he hated having to touch such filthy weapons, he picked up one of the human spears and turned the corner of the hall. He came into another hall, but down one way he saw a wide opening and a tree of crystalline structure. The Tree of Harmony.

Blueblood had only heard of the tree through court gossip, and while he didn't really pay much attention to it, after all what was so important about a tree when there were other important things like trade deals and dealings to be made with like minded nobles, he did know one thing of the tree.

It was located near the old Castle of the Two Sisters. The humans were based right near the border of that little village where Princess Twilight lived. Blueblood could only smirk at the thought of returning home and giving word of where the last human refuge stood. Maybe he be awarded for finally ending the war, and he of course would lead the attack. With this in mind he now ran for the opening.

As he ran he then saw that there were dozens of humans about. But Blueblood paid them no mind as he began blasting magical shots at any who got in his way, scattering the humans like cattle. He didn't care now of a Magic Sense spell, he was so close to the exit. Amazingly he managed to clear the room, and burst out into a snow covered area. It was cold and he shivered as he made for a staircase, blasting a wad of snow that hung over the entrance of the cave to cut off any attempted pursuit for a time.

Reaching the top, he fought against the cold as he cast a quick guiding spell. He made a turn, and ran into the forest. He didn't stop running for a moment, both out of eagerness to return to proper civilization and one out of a desire to be out of the forest he knew he was in. The Everfree.

Through his flight, Blueblood could see no pursuit, and when he finally cleared the forest to see down the village below, he laughed in victory. He tossed aside his borrowed spear and ran for the town. As he drew near, he put on a more frantic and staggering approach. It would do good for his image if he made his escape seem more harrowing and exhausting. A wounded and bloodied prince escaping the clutches of a barbaric race.

Though he kept a look of exhaustion and feigned horror on his face at the first serfs to approach him, inwardly Blueblood laughed. He was finally free.


Valen

Valen ran through the woods of the Everfree. Scootaloo's trail was easy to follow, and she had made a commotion when she ran out of the Sanctuary into the snow. He worried that she would be hurt in her distraught state, either by the cold or the creatures of the forest. Though he questioned if his presence would make things any better.

Taking a turn at a tree, Valen finally found Scootaloo in a small clearing. The filly was on her knees, hugging herself, shivering in the cold. She had run out without that strange thick tunic she wore over her other tunic, and Valen was sure the lack thereof was behind her shivering.

"Scootaloo." He said, removing his fur cloak and drapping it on her.

"Go away!" Scootaloo said, trying to brush his hand away as he laid the cloak on her. Though she did not push away the cloak, hugging it tighter around her.

"Scootaloo, I-" Valen started.

"What!?" Scootaloo said, turning on him with tear stained red eyes, "What do you want!? You already took my father from me!" Scootaloo turned on him and smacked at him with her hoof. The blow hit his chest, but Valen didn't really register it as more then a bump. She was after all a small thing compared to him.

"You are angry. I understand." Valen said, ignoring another hit from Scootaloo.

"What do you understand? You can't understand how I feel right now!" Scootaloo shouted at him.

Valen sucked in a hard breath at that, and against his better wishes he grabbed Scootaloo's hoof in his hand and squeezed it.

"Ahh!" Scootaloo gasped, and tried to pull free. But Valen yanked her, and made her look at him in the eyes.

"I understand better most will!" He shouted, his tongue tripping over words a bit, "I lost best friend because of ponies!"

Valen took a series of deep breathes before releasing Scootaloo's hoof. She held her hoof and looked at him with wide eyes.

"You think you are the only one to-" Valen struggled for the word, now trying to stay calm, "-to lose someone. I watched my best friend die by pony magic. My mother died when they attacked our homes in the Moot. My little brother had to watch her die in front of him. And many others of my clan and others lost family from you ponies."

Scootaloo winced, and looked at him with a mixture of anger, and sadness. Valen bit his lip and looked away.

"But I did not come here to yell. The blood of my friend and mother are on anothers hands. But your fathers blood is on mine." Valen said, as he pulled his knife from his sheathe and got on his knees. He held out the blade to Scootaloo and gave her a serious look.

"I can not give back your fathers life. But I can give you mine in repayment. If you wish it, I won't resist." Valen said, and closed his eyes. His life was the only thing he could offer her. It only seemed right for him to die for killing her father.

Valen waited for the killing blow, and was glad once for the chilling cold that hid his shiver of fear. He only hoped it was quick.

He did receive a blow, but....it was not what he had expected.

"Idiot!" Scootaloo shouted and Valen felt a hoof smashing across the side of his face as hard as it could be thrown. He staggered and flopped onto the snow covered ground and brought his hands up to his face.

"Yeouch!" He shouted, and thought he felt a tooth lose. He spat some blood, then looked to Scootaloo in time to see another punch at his face.

"Idiot! Idiot! Idiot! Stupid, stupid! If its pony or human, boys are always stupid!" Scootaloo said as she began smacking him over and over.

Valen could do little now but hold his hands up at the assault and curl up. Scootaloo kept at him and kept shouting.

"If it isn't boys being obsessed with big boobs back in school, now you come off with some dumb macho or something move of telling me to kill you to pay back for you killing my dad! Stupid! Even if I did do that, it wouldn't bring him back would it!?"

Valen tried to say something, but Scootaloo began kicking him now along side slapping him. Frankly he was glad no one else was around to see this.

"What about your brother? What would happen to him if you let me kill you huh? Did you think about that?" Scootaloo shouted.

Valen felt a bitter bile in his stomach. He....hadn't really thought of that much.

"And what would he do? Understand? Can anypony understand that!?" Scootaloo said, her eyes now filled with tears. She jumped on his chest and began hitting him there, but her blows were slower now and finally Valen grabbed her hooves to stop them completely. Though she struggled against his grip, Valen didn't let go; afraid that she might gain some new reserves of strength.

"You honestly think dying will make it better? Make me forget about the pain? Faust, but your so stupid." Scootaloo gasped as she sucked in a breath and sniffled, looking down, "Dying won't do anything. It will just cause more pain."

Valen bit his lip, and felt pain in his heart. Scootaloo began to slouch as she sniffled, and Valen wrapped his arms around her and fought back to keep his own grief now from bubbling over.

"I'm sorry. I'm really sorry. I didn't....I didn't want...to hurt you like this...." Valen said, tears in his own eyes now, "I just....I just wanted...to make things right."

Scootaloo sniffled, and slightly wrapped her hooves around him.

The two sat there, and Scootaloo's sniffles finally seemed to calm after awhile. She stayed silent for a time before saying, "I wish this war never happened."

Valen frowned and nodded, "Me too." He slowly removed his arms from her and stood, readjusting his cloak around Scootaloo. Scootaloo looked at him, and stood; taking a slight step back.

Then without any warning, the snow around the stopped falling, and the howling cold breeze cut off.

"Huh?" The two said, and looked up at the sky as the swirling dark clouds of snow suddenly began to clear, and show the bright warmth of the sun.

"The sun?" Valen said, confused by the sudden change in weather.

"What happened?" Scootaloo said, just as confused.

Valen didn't know, but.....now that the snow was gone. The cold.....he suddenly felt....at peace. His mind seemed clearer, more focused. Like as if a cold weight had been removed from his insides.

It felt like a good thing.

Valen looked at Scootaloo, and for the first time he felt he was getting a clear look at her.

She was....beautiful. This realization, only made him feel deeper pain for hurting her and while he did not know if he could ever repay for his actions he would try. By all the earth he would try.

"We should go back. These woods are still not safe, cold or warm." He said, looking around as he remembered where they were.

Scootaloo winced, and Valen frowned, "But...if you prefer, I can escort you to the edge of the woods where the pony village lies. You should be home, with your family."

Scootaloo looked at him, and she shook her head.

"No....I want to go home. In fact, I think I should but-but I need to talk to Castus." Scootaloo said, rubbing at her eyes.

Valen nodded, and the two began the trek back to the Sanctuary. As they walked, Valen decided it would be best to keep some distance between him and Scootaloo. And Scootaloo seemed to prefer some distance. But every so often, he thought he felt her hoof brushing against his hand.


Castus

Castus sat in the howling cold of the snow storm. His body shivered, and he had fallen onto drawing upon the Wind to help him in ignoring the cold. It was perhaps unwise, and he was sure he would be getting frostbite. But frankly he could not bring himself to care of his physical form, while his mind seemed intent on tearing him apart.

'Who am I?' He thought, as he felt the pull of two mens memory on his brain.

In one he could see himself perfectly as Karsus, greatest of all the Valhruan mages of his day. The most powerful mage. A leader of his peoples empire, and lord of a number of cities. A practical god among mortal men. And also the same man who brought his peoples destruction.

In the other, he was Castus. A young man torn from his world by the chaotic and random desire of a being of chaos and the inheritor of knowledge and skill in an ancient power that had not seen a user in eons. A young man thrust into the position of a savior of the descendants of another man whose memories he now had from the clutches of animalistic madness brought about by Karsus' Folly. And in those memories, the face of a pony girl who stirred such chaotic feelings in his heart. Fluttershy.

Two men. One body. Was he one or the other? Or was he both? It was a question he thought he would never have to ask, but now...now everything was different.

'If this war never happened we would never have to do this. The clans would be united still. Why couldn't Celestia have just left us alone!' He thought with bitter anger.

Yet that anger seemed false, for he knew why she could not. Celestia did have a point. The Wind was dangerous. It was power, and while it did not differentiate between good or evil, if the ability to use it ever surfaced among others of ill intent, it would mean disaster. Castus already knew that at least one of his people could use it; and he would need to deal with that when the time was right.

But that only meant that others would follow. And he knew that even if he did all he could to see that the Wind was never used as it had been in the past, he knew it would be impossible. Eventually it would slip out of his control.

But that did not mean he was going to turn himself in to be severed. The Wind could offer so much good as well. At the height of Valhruan power, they had ended nearly all disease and hunger. So many discoveries and wonders had been made, and while it had only been for the Valhruan people, that did not mean they could be for everyone today again.

And what of his peoples fate? Celestia could speak all she wanted of equal rights, but he knew that the citizens of Equestria would not be so eager to give the same. His own worlds history could paint a neat picture of how well it would go for humans in Equestria. And what of the other races? How would they treat his people? And what of the other humans still left as animals?

It was all these questions and stresses that bore upon Castus mind. He had to protect his people, and himself. But how and as who did he do that?

'It would just be easier to destroy them. We did before. We can do it again.' A thought came.

'No! Stop it!' He thought, once more mentally sparring with himself.

"AAGGGH! Both of you shut up! I can't think straight!" He shouted and felt a warmth on his chest.

Castus paused in his mental battle, and dug into his tunic. His hands were shaking, as he held the Amulet of Harmony and looked at it was it glowed softly with a warm light.

'What? What do you want? I've done everything you wanted! I've freed my people from the darkness of the past. But now the ponies want to crush us and you seem to not want me to defend them now!? What do you want from me!?' He thought, and he tore the amulet from his neck to throw the bothersome thing away.

Peace.

Castus stopped his hand and he brought it down as he felt the Tree give an answer.

It wanted.....peace? How could it ask for peace between humans and Equestrians? It was impossible! It was impossible eons ago and it would be impossible now. There was too much blood. Too many lies. Too much pain.

'How can we have peace?' He asked it.

An image of a chain seemed to appear, and then the chain snapped in half. Then the half chains snapped again. And then again. And again, till at last there was no more chain.

Castus blinked, and he found the image confusing. Break the chain?

He laughed, "What can break the chain? The ponies attacked us. Now we have attacked them. It will always be thus, as with all races. it is impossible."

The Tree was silent, and for a moment Castus thought he had finally shut it up. But then the image of a wide and dark road seemed to come to mind, and Castus felt himself taking a step onto the road. The step was heavy. The road was uneven, and broke in places. His foot was cut by the stone edges and sharpen points of gravel. The next step was just as painful and heavy, but with each step it grew lighter and easier. The pain faded and eventually, Castus found himself walking on a pristine and straight path.

"The first steps.....are always the hardest." Castus said, feeling he understood what the Tree was saying. He felt a feeling of a yes coming from the tree.

Castus bit his lip and shook. His mind rebelled, part saying to throw this foolish thing away and another to trust it. He gripped his head and he tried to find a focus point in his mind to think, but all he found was conflict.

Fluttershy.

Castus soon found Fluttershy's image coming to mind.

Fluttershy. He had not seen her in three years, and he had hoped one day he would again. But the war had made it difficult, and now....he felt it would be impossible. He had done so much, he did not think she could forgive him...and no doubt she had suffered because of his actions.

But if he continued....would that not make her suffer more? Castus clenched his fists and bit his lip till he felt the coppery taste of blood in his mouth. There was still so much conflict in his mind; but he could find understanding in one thing. He would never be able to see her again, if he did not end this war. And he did not wish to cause her more suffering for his actions.

The air around him seemed to moan louder and the wind blow harder that Castus felt his body shivering and teeth clattering. The moan seemed louder and as if on instinct, Castus looked up at the sky.

Above him swirled strange horse like creatures, whose moans seemed to spur the snow storm onward and harder. The cold growing colder, and the chill seeming to enter into his heart. But the chill gave way to warmth as he held the Amulet of Harmony tight. The amulet seemed to grow warmer, and the strange ghostly white horses seemed to moan louder as if in challenge to the amulet.

Castus blinked, and held out the amulet. He did not know what these strange spirits were, but...if they were behind this unnatural cold then he would see them gone. Cause he was frankly sick of freezing his butt off.

Drawing upon the Wind, its burning ice and frozen flame. Its searing white hot power coursing through his body, Castus channeled its energies into the Amulet and felt its warmth and power grow. The Amulet glowed bright before a beam of multi hued colors shot from it and toward the ice spirits. The ice spirits screamed and the storm seemed to fluctuate with their pain.

Castus then felt rage and anger. Hatred and distrust. It seemed to swirl from the ice spirits within the cold, and in that he channeled more power to the amulet till the light grew bright he had to close his eyes. The ice spirits howled louder, before fading in a flash and the storm around him died.

When Castus opened his eyes, he saw that the storm was gone, and the sky above was clearing to reveal the bright warmth of the sun. And with the loss of the storm, Castus felt a sense of peace wash over him. A sense of peace he hadn't felt in months.

He still did not know what he could do. He did not think the war could end without bloodshed, and he still felt a conflict within his mind. But he did know one thing. He would take the first step. For himself. For Fluttershy. For his people.

'If this chain can be broken....please help me make it so.' He thought as he placed the amulet back around his neck.

The Tree sent a sense of warmth through him. It would help, as much as it could. But it would be up to him, to willingly take the steps on the path, and to keep going through the pain.

'Very well.' Castus thought and he opened a Waygate back to the Sanctuary.

He would have much to do....and much to apologize for. But it would be a start.

Author's Note:

This chapter was.....tricky.

PreviousChapters Next