• Published 10th Apr 2015
  • 4,260 Views, 106 Comments

Uniformed Equality - TheNewYorkBrony



Student president Starlight Glimmer starts to cause problems for the student body of CHS when she starts to enforce an absurdly strict uniform rule.

  • ...
6
 106
 4,260

A Rockin' Revolution

The next day was perhaps one of the weirdest days of Sunset's life. Not only was everyone in school wearing one of Starlight's uniforms, but they all seemed pretty happy about it.

"This...isn't right..." she said to herself, hugging her leather jacket closer to herself. A few students glanced her way but didn't say anything. Unlike her classmates, she hadn't given into Starlight's philosophy so easily, and had opted out of wearing the uniform given to her the previous day.

That proved to be a very bad mistake.

"Oh, look who it is!" Starlight said, stomping up to her with two other students dressed similarly to her flanking her on either side. "It's the intransigent delinquent Sunset Shimmer." she folded her arms. "I hope you brought your uniform with you because you're not getting into this school without it."

Sunset folded her own arms challengingly. "Oh yeah? And how exactly are you going to stop me? This is a public school. It's open to the public. And I just so happen to be apart of that public."

Starlight grit her teeth. "Fine. I can't stop you from entering the school but you do have detention for being insubordinate." She poked a finger into Sunset's chest. "You may think you can do whatever you want because you think you're such a bad girl, but you'll see just how equal we all can be!"

"Again with the equality. Honestly, I'd say we're not that equal considering how much you're acting like you run the place." Sunset sniped. She raised a brow. "You can also forget about me wearing that uniform. Not only is it tacky, it looks uncomfortable and it's completely impractical for the approaching warm weather."

Starlight's eye twitched. "Well. If that's how you feel, then you can explain that to Principal Celestia. From detention." She curtly handed Sunset a pink slip and then turned on her heel to leave.

Shrugging, Sunset went over to her locker to find Rainbow Dash, Pinkie Pie and Applejack standing there waiting for her. It seemed they all hadn't had the shear will power she had, because they were all wearing those dreadful uniforms.

"She called my parents." Dash said dryly, trying to tug her black skirt down.

Sunset whistled. "Wow. Never have I ever been so glad that my folks are in another world." She turned to Applejack, and noticed something was strangely off about her. She couldn't exactly put her finger on it, but it made her uneasy nonetheless.

Then it hit her.

"Where's your hat?" she asked, pointing to the top of AJ's head, the brown cowboy hat that was usually perched there was absent.

"In my locker. Starlight said it set me apart from the other students too much," Applejack defiantly chewed on the toothpick in her mouth as she spoke. "An' told me Ah can't talk in my accent neither! Ah mean, how does someone lose an accent over night?!"

"The same way someone could suck the fun out of everything over night," Pinkie grunted, leaning up against the locker next to Sunset's. Her hair was flat and lifeless and her eyes were like daggers. She looked like she was ready to kill someone and bake them into a delicious treat.

"So let me get this straight," Sunset said, closing her locker and slinging her bag on her shoulder. "Wearing uniforms causes Pinkie to become emo? What would happen if she got an office job?" She held her hand out after a moment. "Actually, don't answer that, I already answered my own question."

"Sunset Shimmer would you please report to the Principal's Office."

Sunset's shoulders slumped. "Well, looks like I'm getting more than an afternoon of detention." She sighed. "I'll see you guys at lunch." And with that, she slowly made her way to Celestia's office.


Celestia's office had been completely dark when she entered for some reason, (save for the slits of light coming through the closed blinds) and Vice Principal Luna nearly scared her out of her wits when she found her standing behind the door.

Celestia was seated at her desk, arms folded, giving Sunset the same look of contempt she had given her the night she had destroyed the front of the school. "Honestly Sunset, I thought you were better than this," She sighed in a tone that sounded more like a disappointed mother than an irritated principal. "I thought that Twilight and her friends had taught you the joys of friendship over these past few months."

"They....have," Sunset said, a bit confused as to what the heck was going on here. She rubbed her temples. "Look is this seriously about me not wearing my uniform? Because if it is, you can forget about me wearing that thing. Everyone in this school is already a mindless drone who will listen to anyone who can carry a tune and I'd rather not be grouped in with a bunch of idiots,"

"Such a shame you won't adapt Starlight's philosophy," Luna tsked, shaking her head. "We thought that you might even see a bit of yourself in her."

"A bit of my self?" Sunset repeated. She frowned. She didn't like where this was going. It was one thing to be disappointed in her for not being as blind as her classmates but another to think that she would ever see even a small piece of herself in a sociopath like Starlight.

Clicking her tongue she tried to keep her voice leveled and leave her bubbling irritation out of it. "Look, if you're gonna give me detention, then give it to me. Starlight already gave me this stupid pink slip, and I'd rather not stand around in here all day when I have to catch up on classes I couldn't attend because I was busy cleaning up my past mistakes!" Her voice had risen at the end of her rant, and she was now slightly red in the face.

She held so much respect for Celestia and Luna, she really did, (though less than the Celestia and Luna she knew back home,) But this conversation was going no where and the more they talked, the more angry Sunset was becoming.

And no one liked an angry Sunset.

"Very well, you have detention for the rest of the week. And if you don't come to school wearing your uniform tomorrow, you will have another week. Am I clear?" Celestia asked with a raised brow.

"Crystal," Sunset responded, running her tongue over her teeth. Without waiting for an answer, she picked up her bag and left, stepping out once again into the empty hallway.


By the time lunch rolled around, Sunset was ready to give up and go home. But she knew her friends needed her, and she sucked it up. Literally the only thing that could possibly make this day better was that it was Taco Tuesday, and soon she'd have an entire plate of tacos to herself. She smiled. She could almost taste the ground beef as she opened the door to the cafeteria.

Her smile fell once she reached the lunch line, and Granny Smith had put a heaping wad of something out of the second floor science lab on her plate. Her eyebrows furrowed. "Uh? What is this? I thought we were having tacos today,"

"Sorry girlie, Principal Celestia installed some new rules this mornin'. Everybody eats the same thing. An' since everybody's got allergies an' all that, she insisted ya'll get this," The older woman responded.

That still didn't answer her question. In fact, she was now even more concerned with learning what the 'this' in question actually was. It looked like someone had blended up everything ever and put it in a pot.

Sighing, Sunset just tookher tray over to the table where her friends sat all looking just as disgusted as she was.

Everyone had given their plate of mystery lunch to Pinkie it seemed, because she was the only one chowing down. She pointed to Sunset's plate. "You gonna eat that?" She asked.

Sunset's face twisted in disgust and she slid the plate in Pinkie's direction. She wasn't going to stop her. Especially since she was so far gone.

"This sucks," Rainbow Dash whined, slamming her hand on the table. "We have no freedom whatsoever! Did you know that we now all have to wear our hair in braids?! I haven't had pig tails since grade school! I'm gonna look like a Skittles factory exploded on Wednesday Adams!" She let out a groan as her head collided with the table.

"Why, I was forced to remove my eye shadow! Do you know how long it takes me in the morning to get the shade just right?!" Rarity exclaimed. "Hours! Beauty takes time! And she just, just made me wipe it off!"

"Ah can't believe she made me put my hat up and told me Ah had to change the way Ah talk!" Applejack shouted. "Why, Ah'm madder than a-" she paused. "A....um...."

The others stared at her blankly.

"Madder than a...pig in the....a snake in a....Land sakes Ah done lost my countryisms!" Applejack said, tugging at her blonde hair.

"Now darling, I'm sure you're just overreacting. That's absurd. That would be like me being not able to tell if something was fashionable or not!" Rarity comforted her.

"Rarity, what do you think of this dress for prom?" Fluttershy asked, holding up a magazine containing a picture of an ugly brown dress.

Rarity waved her hand. "It's lovely darling. The color is quiet catching." She paused, and then let out a blood curtling scream that probably caused half the entire cafeteria to lose their hearing. "My fashion sense!" She wailed, laying her head in Applejack's chest, sniveling as her mascara started to run. "It's, it's gone!"

Sunset stood up. "That's it! I can't take anymore of this! We need to get rid of Starlight Glimmer and we need to get rid of her fast!"

Rainbow frowned. "Oh yeah? And how do you propose we do that? It's not like we can just turn everyone against her. They adore her and her new stupid rules."

Sunset smirked, pulling her songbook out of her bookbag. "The best way we know how, of course."

Author's Note:

Second chapter! Writing this story is actually kind of fun. Let me know what you think!