• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 5,352 Views, 397 Comments

The Games We are Forced to Play - Kablam Pony



Connor lived a normal life when a mishap occurs from one of Twilight's projects and she ends up in his back yard. Now being forced to flee the cops back to Twilight's dimension, Connor must make a new life and stop a plot of world domination.

  • ...
26
 397
 5,352

7: A Whole New World and A Whole New Home

Connor

Connor stared angrily at the magenta eyes and ivory white head that seemed to be lazily staring back with bored interest. It was infuriating seeing them not even flinch or respond. Yet, they seemed like they were trying to calm him down in some mystical way. But Connor did not want to calm down. He didn’t want to be shut down from his anger induced rage and wasn't going to be shut down. He was going to have his explosive rampage and this world could suck it up and take it. He looked away from those big magenta eyes before they could calm his tirade anymore.

“Whatever Cinderella.”

He turned around and spotted a door around the angry mob of tiny, crayon colored horses and made his way for the possible exit. He did not want to spend anymore time confined in this room and needed to vent some more before he did something he might regret.

“Hey! How dare you talk to the Princess like that! Why I aught a-”
“Rainbow!”

Connor could see out of the corner of his eye the blue and rainbow colored horse struggling against some invisible force that was holding her back. His anger ran his mouth right now and he had no intentions of stopping it.

“Blow it out your asphalt!” he threw the insult over his shoulder as he was passing by the angry mob. He glared at them daring any one of them to try and make a move. However, he forgot to notice that one loose piece of paper on the ground that he was stepping on and it was just slippery enough to lose his balance. He crashed to the floor with a heavy thud which did nothing but worsen his mood. It was just another reminder that he no longer had feet with boots that had tread to prevent him from slipping.

He picked himself up off the floor and continued to storm to the exit in sight. He reared back and slammed as hard as he could on the door. It crashed open and hit the wall on the other side. Once he passed through the door way he slammed the door shut with the same amount of force. The hallway outside was pretty much clear of anypony else and had a few decorations here and there, but the biggest thing Connor liked was that there was a large red carpet down the entire hallway. Plenty of grip to keep himself from falling. He walked forward a few meters and stopped at the intersection to pick a path to go down. But before he could choose a route, he heard somepony shouting, “Hey! You! Stop right there!” a large pony dressed in some kind of golden armor ran up to him and stopped half a meter away from him to glare down.

The guard and Connor took a Moment to size each other up before stating his next demand, “State your business here.” Business? What business would Connor have in a place like this? Connor did not feel like speaking to his guy who stood a few inches taller than him, so he was going to bring him down a few notches. He looked around to see if there was anything he could use if things were to go south. His wings had returned back to their tucked position which made things easier to see. But then a light bulb went off in his head. Connor turned back to the big pony. He kept turning until his side was completely facing the golden clad pony. The guard looked at him curiously, not understanding this intruder's intentions. Connor just stood there aiming his side at the guard. he picked a target, looked at the angle, and calculated the distance.

The guard looked questioningly at Connor, “What-” ffwwmmp!! CLANG!!! THUD!!

Connor's wings burst out again for the second time like a spring loaded trap and hit the guard squarely in the face, knocking him out. His body collapsed to the floor in a heap before Connor. He compressed his wings back into their folded positions before addressing the guard again, “Business? How about setting your corpse on fire and chucking it at a school house full of children? How's that sound for 'Business'?”

Wow... That came out way darker than it needed it to be.

With his deadly weapons loaded back into his sides, Connor step over the guard's unconscious body to continue his red hazed war path. But not with out giving one last kick to the side of the head for good measure. The guard moaned in pain before returning to silence. The maids' could collect his body later.

~~~

Connor's mind and vision funneled down to a small red tunnel of burbling anger and frustration. He had no idea where he was going. He had no idea how he got outside or how he ended up on the streets of some city. The buildings that rolled by first were similarly colored as the castle walls before breaking into a multitude of colors. He barely noticed the upper class mansions or stores that he passed by. He could care less about the citizens that occupied the space around him or how they were all staring at him strangely. Thankfully they all spoke English, so Connor could understand them. However, their words were lost in the sea of red that still filled his vision and sloshed loudly in his ears.

It was a good hour or two before Connor could regain some thought processes and start making angry questions in his head, “How could twilight mess up so badly and show Micheal everything right from the get-go? What caused her portal to be so ineffective, that it wrecks itself and the system after only a couple of uses? How could Micheal have been so stupid to do something like that? Were there any signs pointing to him being untrustworthy? If there were signs, how come I didn't notice it? Did I just ignore previous indications or did I miss them?

The questions continued one right after the other while he searched for any and every clue in the past that might have pointed to this being a possible outcome. Connor's eyes were cast down on the ground watching the cobblestone roads pass beneath him, his new hooves clicking and clopping on the hard stone. He didn't like the new view. It wasn't right. Suddenly a whistle blew in the air and his head popped up in alarm. He was currently standing in a open air train station. Ponies were bustling this way and that trying to catch the train or in and out of a building off to the side of the station. A conductor stood at the tracks beside a train that was still parked at the platform. A crowd was standing in front of the cars all waiting for the conductor to give the command to board the train.

Connor looked at the train and made an 'ick' face. The train belonged in some kind of wafers factory with its cookie like design and colors, not on the tracks for the public to see. But nopony seemed to have any complaints about the transportation. The conductor called out, “ALLLLLL ABOARD, FOR PONYVILLE!!!!” Connor made another 'ick' face. Ponyville. That was like saying, 'Welcome to Humantown'. But right now he was willing to live with those minor inconveniences if it meant he could be rid of this town. But this was a train and trains need tickets to ride, and to buy a ticket, he needed money, which he had none. But his irritation flared up again and he pushed that problem aside. Not his world, not his problem. He was going to sneak onto the train.

The first rule when sneaking in: look like you belong there. He straightened up his posture and strode over to the back of the cars with a purpose in his step. He hid by inserting himself in the crowds and positioned himself so that there were bodies between him and the conductor to make it harder for him to spot Connor with no ticket. He boarded the car without any interruptions and once on, he broke off from his crowd and moved towards the back of the train. He was going to hide in the caboose section of the train and when the train had finally left the station, he was going to hide on the outdoor section of the caboose and off to the side so that he was out of view from the window in the door.

“ALLLLLL ABOARD, FOR PONYVILLE!!!!” the conductor gave his last call standing on the train before giving the driver the all clear. The train blew its whistle and the cars jolted forward. The train slowly began to move forward down the tracks and the station behind fell out of view. Once the station was out of view, Connor got up from his seat that he procured and made his way outside on the back of the caboose. He found a little corner off to the side and sat down to let his mind continue to boil from today's unfortunate events. In hindsight, this was definitely one of his stupid Moments. But there was no turning back now, he was stuck on this train until it reached it's destination. Even though he had wings, he had no idea how to use them. He wished that he had his two wheels back instead of two wings. At least he knew how to use motorcycles. But he would worry about that later. Right now, he just wanted to sit there and be angry.

~~~

The sun began to set as the train rolled into the new station. Connor got up from his spot beside the door and got ready to jump off the train once it finally came to a stop. There was another jolt as the cars' Momentum were halted and the engine hissed as it blew off excess steam, creating a bit of a hazy cloud. Connor looked at the cloud and chose this time to depart the train and hide under the cover of the mist from the train. He landed clumsily on the ground and quickly crept away from the train to the tree line at the edge of town. He traveled along there for a little while until he came to a dirt road that led into the forest and back into town.

He stood there looking both ways trying to decide which way he wanted to go. He didn’t want to go into town and make himself known just yet, but the forest didn't seem like a good place to be either. He thought he saw something moving low and with glowing green eyes in the trees earlier, but when he looked to see what it was, it was gone. Connor ran a hoof over his face trying to make a plan of what to do in his current situation. But the motion felt off, like it was missing something. He put a hoof to his face and realized that he was no longer wearing glasses no more. Even more, his vision was completely fixed like he had 20/20 vision all his life. At least something good came out of this disaster. It was a plus, but his anger was still sizzling and he needed to work off the rest of it somehow.

He spotted a tree nearby that looked relatively straight enough for his purposes. He made his way over to it inspected it. The bark was smooth and soft like a cedar tree back home. He punched it with his hoof. There was a small pain, but no major damage done to either the tree or himself. It would do for the time being. He faced the tree and took out the last of his frustrations out on it. He kicked, punched, kneed, and elbowed as hard as he would allow himself without hurting himself too much. The thunking of his blows hitting the trunk went on for a couple of minute before he finally stopped. He was sore, but he felt better. As he turned away from the tree his wings burst out again and thunked against the tree trunk.

“Ow! Stupid, wings!” Connor struggled to put his wings back down. But when he finished, an idea struck him. He could quite possibly use his wings as an offensive weapon and a means of attack. He looked back at the tree and started thinking of different ways of maybe using wings against it. It might hurt but he could toughen them up over time. He didn’t have any time to implement his plan because his ear twitched at the sound of voices approaching from the road leading into town.

He turned and looked for the ponies that were laughing and making jokes to one another. Three ponies were walking up the path Connor was on. The center one was the largest of the three. He was a Pegasus and was probably the leader of the group. His coat had the color of a basketball and a mullet to go along with it. The one on his left was a regular looking pony and was not as big, but still had some size to him. The third was the fat one of their trio, a round normal pony with what Connor assumed to be the equivalent of a crew cut in this world. Connor watched as they slowly made their way up the path before the leader of the gang noticed him there.

“Hey, what do we have here? A new pony in town? What're you doing way out here in the middle of no where?”

Well fiddle,” Connor thought, “I’ve got one of those guys.

“Nothin' much, just checking out the forest.”

“Oh really?” the second one smirked, “You think your tough enough to take on a Timberwolf or something?” The gang stopped about two meters away from Connor to continue their taunting from a safe distance. The other two laughed at the idea while Connor kept his eyes locked on target.

Three targets,” he analyzed, “And no others approaching for a sneak attack. I think I can handle that.

“Wolves? You mean like the furry kind?” He asked to keep them distracted.

“No you feather head. Like the tree-bark-and-sticks kind with sharp teeth. Man, is this your first time being on the ground, or what?” the leader was now approaching Connor with his chest puffed out and his head raised high. It seemed no matter what world you go to, there is always going to be people who have to impress everyone. What he didn't know, is that he had just stepped into Connor's danger zone. The zone where he was in striking distance of Connor.

“Tell you what? Since you're new here in town, we'll give the traditional town welcome from my friends and your's truly.”

“I’d like to see you try,” Connor challenged the bully to make the first move. His right hoof slid back a little putting his left further out in front in preparation. The bully was too distracted with Connor's stare to notice the movement.

The leader reared back and tried to kick Connor in the face, but Connor could see the attack coming a mile away. He ducked and slipped to his left and raised his left hoof to land a nasty left hook across his chin. As soon as the first blow landed, the cronies jumped in to help out their 'fearless leader'. There was a flurry of punches and kicks from both sides. As the fight progressed, the bullies soon realized they had bitten off more than they could chew. When the dust settled three more ponies laid on the ground, beaten and bruised. A rag tagged and beaten blue Pegasus stood over the remains of the fight, panting in exhaustion. His face ached and his chest would be sporting some new bruises under his coat, but other than that Connor had won.

“Wow! I've only been in this world for a couple of hours and I still beat you! You live here and still don’t know how to move on your feet!”

Connor walked around the pile of moaning babies and made his way towards the town. The sun was about to set, but he would rather be closer to town then sit out here with this town's bullies.

“Come back and see me when you learn how to fight, newbies!”

~~~

Connor stayed on the outskirts of town as he walked. He could see other ponies in town finishing up their business before returning home for the day. Home. He could use a home right now, or at least a place to stay for a while. His anger and frustration and finally subsided and the only thing to take its place was exhaustion. He was tired. He was tired of being angry, tired of dealing with this day, and tired of dealing with this world. He didn't want to think about twilight or the many mistakes he had made in the past few hours of being here. He just wanted to sleep and for everything to go away for awhile. He found a tree near a stream that was somewhat secluded from the main pathway. There was a bridge not too far that crossed over the stream into town. He laid down on his side on the soft grass underneath the tree and closed his eyes to let sleep take hold of him.

He started awake and looked around some how he was back in his home in his world. He was sprawled out on the couch in the TV room upstairs and the TV was on. He had a game currently paused on screen. Was this a dream? Or did all that happened to him with twilight was just a figment of his imagination? He didn't care, he was home. The door to the hallway outside was pushed open and his dog came in looking for attention. He reached out with his fingers and gave her a good scratching on the side of her head. She looked at him with her big brown eyes and began to pant with a smile on her face. He turned back to the screen to unpause the game.

“Hey!”

He jumped in his couch and looked around. The only other in the room was Kaylee, his dog. But dogs don't speak. He brushed it off and tried to go back to his game.

“Hey!!”

Connor jumped again and looked at Kaylee, who was staring at him. He watched and waited to see if anything happened.

Kaylee opened her mouth again, “HEY! WAKE UP!”

Connor jumped for a third time as he finally woke up from his nap under the tree. He whipped his head around trying to find out who was speaking to him. A light orange Pegasus with a purplish pixie style hair cut was standing in front of him with a curious expression on her face. Even though she was standing, Connor was still taller than her, even laying down.

“What? What do you want?” Connor rubbed the sleep from his eyes, and apparently a few tears.

“What are you doing out here at this time?” the Pegasus kid tilted her head wondering who this newcomer was.

Connor straightened up, “I was sleeping. Then you woke me up.”

“Oh, sorry. But why were you sleeping out here? Don’t you have a home?”

Connor looked over the kid with a calculating look, trying to figure out how to word his next sentences, “Um, not really. I've sort of just been sleeping out under the stars. Um, what's your name?”

“My name's Scootaloo. What's your name?”

“Connor.”

“That's a weird name. Are you new here? Where are you from?” Scootaloo moved to the side to get a better look at him while he sat there.

“Um, I’m not from around here. You could say that I’m new to-”

“WHAAT??!!! YOU DON'T HAVE YOUR CUTIE MARK EITHER?!!!”

“Huh?” Connor cranked his neck around to get a better look at what Scootaloo was freaking out about. She was pointing at a spot on his hip that was clear of any kind of marks except for some dirt.

“Your cutie mark! You haven't gotten your cutie mark which means you haven't discovered your special talent yet!”

A mark that signifies what your special talent is? And its supposed to be on my hip?” Connor puzzled over the idea while the orange kid continued to ask her questions.

“How come you haven't found your cutie mark, yet? Oh, is that why your here? Are you traveling the world for awesome adventures and dangerous challenges to discover your cutie mark?”

“Uh, sure. Why not?”

“Cool! Then you're just like me and the cutie mark crusaders!”

“The what?”

Scootaloo paused from darting around him to explain, “The cutie mark crusaders! We're a group dedicated to helping fillies and colts discover their cutie marks! There's only a couple of us right now but it would be awesome if you joined!”

Connor gave Scootaloo a skeptical look. Someone his age joining a filly's club to help him discover his cutie mark? It was bad enough being a pony, but now he needed help getting a tattoo on his hip to fit in as well. Well, he was already waist deep in problems. What's one more to the pile going to do?

“Sure, I’ll join your club. I can't fall any farther right now.”

“Awesome! Why don’t you spend the night at my place and I can introduce you to the rest of it's members tomorrow!”

“Are you sure? Won't your parents be against a stranger being in their house?”

“Don't worry, I’ll take care of it. Just let me do the talking!”

Scootaloo got up and started taking off into town with Connor slowly following behind. There was no way this was going to work. But it didn't hurt to try. The tree would still be there later if this failed.

~~~

“WHAT? YOU CAN'T FLY EITHER?!”

“Nope, I'm still learning how to keep them under control.”

“Jeez, you sound like this is your first time having wings or something.”

Scootaloo pushed open a door to a two story house that was down one of the side roads just off the major market street and city hall. The house seemed normal inside and out. Just through the front door, there was a living room off to his right. There were a couple of decently nice chairs, a rug on the floor and a fire place facing out towards the window that lead outside. Pictures of family hung on the walls and sat on shelves around the room. To the left was another room with a table and four chairs around it. To his front was a stairwell that led up to the second floor. Beside that, another hallway led to the back of the house. A counter top with a sink was visible from where he was standing, but nothing more. He assumed it was the kitchen of the house.

“Mom! Dad! I'm home!”

“We're in the kitchen, dear!”

Scootaloo ran off down the hallway towards the back of the house to greet her parents, leaving Connor standing at the front door. He didn't want to enter any farther unless he was welcomed in by the head of the house or in case he was turned down to sleeping here. So he stood there waiting to be acknowledged and judged.

“Guess what, Mom? I made a new friend today! His name is Connor and he's just like me! He doesn’t have his cutie mark either!”

“That's great sweetie, do you know where he's lives in town?” there was a clinking as dishes were placed down on the counter.

“Well, no. but I told him that we could have a sleep over tonight! So can we? Can he sleep over here tonight?”

“That depends,” a male voice spoke up this time. It was that certain kind of voice only a father could make when his child offered a proposal, “Where is he now?”

Scootaloo's head popped back into view to look at Connor before disappearing again to speak, “He's at the front door right now.”

There was a pause in tasks being done, and Connor tensed up. He heard utensils being set down on the counter and several hoof steps approaching the hallway. Scootaloo came running out to stand next to Connor like she was presenting a science project. Connor was not so confident.

Two ponies entered the hall way and looked at Scootaloo's new 'friend'. The smaller pony of the two looked like the mother of the family. The mare was a Pegasus with a slightly tinged orange coat and her turquoise mane was tied back in a bandana. She was of healthy physique and had a bit of a sass to her body language like she worked in an environment that required a thicker than normal skin. The blue stallion on the other hand looked like he was a blue collar worker; slightly bulky with the eyes of a judge underneath his purplish hair. logical and unbiased, but with a hint of father's love behind the hard exterior.

“Connor, this is my Mom and Dad. Mom works as a waitress at one of the cafes in town and Dad is a head of a construction worker team.”

Connor made a quick glance over to Scootaloo who was still smiling confidently. Well he was here now, the only thing left to do was to at least try for the kid's sake. He took a single step forward and presented his right hoof for a shake, “Sir.”

The blue stallion stepped forward and accepted the offer with a firm grasp which Connor returned. He looked over Connor with his judge's stare and measured his worth before speaking.

“So you're Connor...”

“That's correct, sir.”

“And where are you from, Connor?” the mare joined her husband's side to look over the stranger in their house. Connor glanced over to her and paused. In the back of his head he knew this question was going to be asked, but he didn't know which answer to give. Did he want to put in the effort to try and come up with a lie? No, he was too mentally, physically, and emotionally drained to do that. He wanted to be judged at face value; no lie, no false confidence, no insane bravado. Just him. He didn’t want to lie again, but he predicted that if he explained the whole story to them it would just confuse them. So he decided to give the partial truth. He would give facts, just not all of them.

He shook his head before answering, “I’m not really from around here. I want to explain exactly where I’m from but I think it would just confuse everyone.” the Mom scrutinized Connor to get more information out of him, but he remained motionless and unwilling to give anymore information on the subject.

“And why should I let you spend a night in my house?” Connor turned back to the father who had drawn himself up to full height to look down on him before passing his final judgment. He could feel the weight being placed on top of him as he saw his final chance close and shut tight before him. Only thing left he could say were some final parting words as he saw himself being kicked out of the house.

“I don't know why. I'm only asking for a night to plan out my future here in this world, maybe find a job somewhere else, and then I will be out of your house. I wont bother you ever again.” Connor waited a few Moments staring at his judge waiting for a verdict, but his tired pessimistic side already told him what the answer was. He tried his best and that's all he could do. At least he still had a comfy spot under that tree to go back to and it wasn't raining right now. He lowered his eyes and slowly started for the door ready to accept his fate.

“Hang on,” the Dad called out, “I didn’t tell you to leave just yet.” Connor stopped a few inches from the door and turned half way to look at him.

“So you just need a place to stay while you figure out your life, huh?”

“Yes, sir.” Connor turned all the way to face him again.

“Hmm. What's your knowledge and skill level in handling children?”

Connor wasn't quite sure as to where he was leading with this question but he gave his answer nonetheless, “Extensive, sir.”

“Is that so. Well, since I am usually kept late at work and Mom doesn't get off her work until late at night, I could use somepony to look after my daughter while we are busy until we get home. She does tend to get herself into trouble quite often and it would be nice to know that somepony else is there to help her out when she get's stuck. If you would be willing to do that, I am willing to let you stay here until you are ready.”

Connor was dumbfounded by the generous offer he was being given. This father, was offering him a babysitting job to a complete stranger who he had only just met a few minutes ago in exchange for a roof over his head. He wasn’t used to this kind of generosity as his world was a little more cutthroat, so he could only stumble over his words as he spoke, “A-a-absolutely, sir. I am more than willing to do that. Thank you.” The stallions shook hooves again. I guess honesty is the best policy.

“Awesome! So its going to be like having an older brother and Rainbow Dash being the older sister!”

“No, he is not pretending to be your older brother.”
“No, I am not pretending to be your older brother.”

The adults stared at each other and a chuckle emanated through out the hall way. The parents turned back to the kitchen and Scootaloo and Connor followed behind them.

Dinner was unusual for everypony at the dinner table, well, except for Scootaloo who was happy to have a new friend. Mom and Dad weren't used to having another pony at the dinner table and Connor wasn't used to dinning with ponies or the food that was served to him. Yellow straw, apple slices, and an assortment of vegetables, all of which were identifiable to Connor but the arrangement of all three things was unusual. The straw was dry and was weird to chew and the vegetables were a little dry, but he didn’t complain. After everypony finished and helped clean up, Scootaloo took Connor up to her room where she decided he was going to sleep there.

The room was decently sized. It had a single bed with a green quilted sheet and a dresser at the foot of the bed. The floor had a cream colored flower rug in the center of the room. The walls had various posters and fan flags pinned up. However, Connor did notice the large poster of a certain rainbow maned Pegasus hanging off to the side over a shelf. The single window in the bedroom looked out over the street, but it was completely dark outside so there wasn't much to see.

Scootaloo took Connor on the grand tour of her room while using the word 'awesome' and 'cool' as the most common adjective. Once that was finished, she rushed down stairs to get an extra blanket and some pillows for Connor to use. Once all the gathered materials were in place, he set to making his temporary bed. He laid out a borrowed sleeping bag that belonged to her Dad as the base layer between the hard floor. After that he placed one pillow at the end of the bag for his head and used the rest to stuff the sleeping bag for extra cushion. Once the bed was complete, the blanket went over the top. It was wasn't bad for such short notice, in fact it was quite comfy compared to other times he had to sleep on the floor. Scootaloo crawled into her bed and slowly drifted off to sleep while Connor just laid there thinking again.

His blow up earlier that day was probably to be expected, but his actions were uncalled for. He held himself to higher standards than that and his total loss of control went against what he was taught while in martial arts. When he was first starting off in training he had lots of power to use at his disposal, but no control over it to use it. So the beginning portion of his training focused mostly on self control over his body and mind. Granted, this was an extreme case of being thrown into another world. But attacking not only a royal guard, but also three civilians was inexcusable and could have easily been handled better without violence. Then there was the fact that he snuck onto a train without paying for ticket. Now that his anger had subsided, he felt bad for doing so and wondered if he could possibly pay them back for it at a later time. But he would have to cross that bridge at another time. Right now, his job was to look after Scootaloo and learn how to function properly in this world. That was going to require careful observation of it's inhabitants and practice. But first, sleep. His eyes closed and he let the darkness cradle him off to restful sleep.

Author's Note:

Hmm, I wonder if I should have put the violence tag on this story? Naaaah, its fine. Its already rated teen so I should be fine. Anyways, yes the cutie mark crusaders will be our salvation! Let me know what you think and how well I wrote Scootaloo and her family. It's a little vague, but I feel like the most logical reason why we never see her parents is because they're stuck at work and don't get home until o' dark thirty at night. We've all had those parents working as hard as they can to support you and your family. Next chapter should be even more fun, so on to the next one!!

Random fact: masticate (mas-ti-cate) is the scientific word for chewing. So next time your talking with your friends, throw them through a loop with this word. It's guaranteed to get a laugh. :rainbowlaugh: