• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 5,352 Views, 397 Comments

The Games We are Forced to Play - Kablam Pony



Connor lived a normal life when a mishap occurs from one of Twilight's projects and she ends up in his back yard. Now being forced to flee the cops back to Twilight's dimension, Connor must make a new life and stop a plot of world domination.

  • ...
26
 397
 5,352

9: One Missing Pony Found

Twilight

Twilight let out a long yawn as she walked down the streets of ponyville with her friend Fluttershy. Twilight had spent most of last night replanning out her entire month with the inclusion of looking for Connor, ordering new parts for her portal, and prepping letters to be sent the next morning. When she did go to bed, she had spent most of her time in bed rolling around in anguish before falling into a restless sleep. All in all, another one of her bad nights.

“Are you alright, Twilight? You look like you didn’t get any sleep last night.” Fluttershy looked worried for her friend. She had seen Twilight come out of her tree house with little to no sleep on many occasions.

“I’ll be fine. I just have a lot of things on my mind. Spike has been helping me a lot with sending out notices and letters. We've already sent letters to the authorities in Los Pegasus and Apploosa informing them to be on the lookout for a blue Pegasus with a blonde mane and no cutie mark. Spike is finishing up sending out the last of the letters right now,” she let out another yawn.

“I’m sure everything will be fine. Spike is a reliable dragon and will get the job done.”

“Thanks Fluttershy; and thank you for helping with putting up these missing posters. I Was going to ask Rarity if she had some free time to help out too.”

“It's no problem! And I’m sure Rarity would love to help out,” Fluttershy said kindly.

There was a flash of green and a soft pop and a scroll with Fluttershy's name on it dropped out of the sky. Curious, Fluttershy picked up the scroll and unfurled it to read it.

“You're rescheduling our tea party to next Tuesday?”

Twilight flushed, “Spike is also sending our rescheduling notices as well.”

Fluttershy gave a surprised concerned look, “Spike is sending out rescheduling notices?”

“Yes?” Twilight gave a sheepish grin.

“Uuh, why don't we get Rarity and see if she is available.” Fluttershy tried to ignore the obvious fact of what was going on while they stopped off at Rarity's shop.

Fluttershy and Twilight opened the door to Carousel Boutique and a small door chime rang over head. The designer's dress shop looked lovely as ever. Rarity already had her summer outfits already on main display. But one could still browse and find anything from ball gown dresses to some casual wear. At the moment, there was an open box sitting in the middle of the shop with dresses already wrapped up and ready for shipping.

“In a minute!” Rarity called from a back room.

“Rarity! Its me and Fluttershy!” Twilight called out into the shop.

Rarity came out from behind two shutters that lead into the designing room carrying some freshly wrapped dresses.

“Twilight! Good to see you again! Oh dear, did you say up late again?”

“A little. I had to make another report to Princess Celestia before I could go to bed.”

“Oh Twilight, you can't maintain your regal composure if you don't get your beauty sleep.” she struck a small pose of grace before returning back to concern.

“Are you still worried about that uncouth Pegasus from yesterday?”

“Yeah, this is an unfamiliar world for him and I’m worried how he will take to living here, if he ever learns to accept it.”

Rarity gave off a scoff, “Hah, Twilight, I’m sure that ruffian will be fine for one night. He seems old enough to take care of himself. He'll be fine.”

Fluttershy spoke up for Twilight, “Um Rarity, Twilight was going to ask you if you could help out with putting up some missing posters around town, if you have the free time that is.”

Rarity looked appalled, “Ah! Help find him?”

“You did say that you were going to help yesterday, didn't you?” Fluttershy pointed out sternly.

“Oh very well. But I have one more thing to do before I can help.”

“Oh? And what's that?” Fluttershy exclaimed with excited curiosity.

“I need to drop off some knitting materials at sweet apple acres first. It appears granny smith has taken up knitting and needs more yarn.”

There was flash of green and a small pop and a scroll with Rarity's name on it fell at her hooves. With a raised eyebrow, Rarity picked up the scroll in her magic to read, “You are canceling your trip with me to meet with Hoity Toity? Twilight! Did you spend all last night and morning rescheduling your calendar again?!”

Twilight shrunk a little under Rarity's glare and answered with another sheepish grin. Rarity sighed and put a hoof to her face in response to the answer that she got.

“Very well. Shall we leave so I can make this delivery? Then I can help out with putting up your posters.”

Twilight and Fluttershy headed for the door while Rarity finished putting the new dresses in the open box and left to gather the knitting materials. A few moments later, Rarity exited the dress shop with saddle bags filled with yarn and other knitting tools.

She closed the door and the three friends made their way down the road and towards sweet apple acres. They walked in silence for a little bit before Rarity spoke up again, “Twilight, I understand that you left through your portal after you received a letter. Can you explain to us what that letter was?”

“Who told you that?” Twilight snapped with a worried tone in her voice.

“Why, our Spikey Wikey of course,” she giggled in response. This time it was Twilight's turn to put her hoof to her face.

“When I got that letter, I didn't read the whole message and jumped the conclusion that my Canterlot high friends were trying to contact me for help. When spike and I got back to the library last night, he showed me the letter again. It turns out that the letter was actually an ecoponies' movement flier to help 'save the trees around our beautiful capital'! Now that I think about it, I’m wondering why I ever thought that it could have come from the other world when there are no ways to communicate with them right now.”

The three continued to chit chat down the path to Applejack's farm. They tried to talk about anything to keep everypony's spirits high, however the conversation always seemed to drift back to recent events and Connor's current whereabouts. Rarity and Fluttershy were have particularly heated argument when they finally reached the front gates of the farm.

“... and if others from that world are as rude as he is, I have no intention of visiting.”

“But Rarity, this is not his world! His world probably works differently compared to ours. How would you react if you had to go to his world and couldn't get back?” Fluttershy argued.

“Rarity! Fluttershy! Please stop arguing! I know everypony has differing opinions about Connor, but right now I need your help to find him. Once we deliver granny smith's knitting supplies, I need your help putting up missing fliers in ponyville.”

The quarreling friends put their argument to the side to be resumed later. Rarity let out a huff, “Very well Twilight, you are right. We need to stop fussing about and focus on the task at hand. After I’ve given Applejack the yarn and needles we can go back and start looking for, HIM!!!

Rarity had stopped in her tracks to point accusingly at something. Twilight and Fluttershy followed Rarity's hoof to see what she was pointing at. Off in the distance, a jeans blue Pegasus was currently bucking trees and filling a nearby cart with the apples that fell off the trees. Applejack was at the animal pens cleaning up the food trays not to far from where Twilight and company were standing.

“Applejack!” Rarity hissed loudly.

Applejack looked up from her work to see who was calling her name. She spotted her friends and waved, “Howdy everypony! What brings you here?”

“Applejack! Come here! Quick!” Rarity continued to hiss trying to keep only Applejack from hearing her.

“What? What's wrong Rarity?” Applejack returned the low tone as she met her friends by the entrance.

“What are you doing with that pony on your farm? Isn't that the same pony from yesterday who was being extremely rude?”

“Who? Him?” Applejack motioned with a hoof to indicate Connor who was finishing unloading another bucket of apples into the cart.

“He's here working here on the farm, right now. What was his name, Twilight? Was it something like 'Condor'?”

“Connor,” Twilight corrected.

“But why, dear Applejack, is he here of all places?” Rarity continued questioning.

“Well he wanted to work as his way of saying 'sorry'. And I’m not one to turn down somepony who is willing to try and fix his past mistakes.”

“Oh, does that mean you're taking our forgiveness lessons to heart? Does that mean you will start forgiving discord as well?” Fluttershy said excitedly.

“Discord is a special case,” Applejack said pointedly, “But he wanted to work so I let him. It let's me keep an eye on him in case he steps out of line and its good to have an extra hoof around to help out with the work.”

“But where did you find him?” Twilight asked.

“Yes, where did you find him?” Fluttershy and Rarity added.

“He was out by my sister's club house playing as a 'secret base guard'. I swear Twilight, I was going to tell you when I had some open time. But right now I needed to get this harvest collected so I can start on the next one.”

“It's okay, Applejack. I’m just surprised as how he ended up in Ponyville and how we found him so quickly. Do you know how he got here or if he as a place to stay right now?”

Applejack put a hoof to her chin in thought, “I heard Apple Bloom mention that he was acting as Scootaloo's foalsitter and is living at her home for the time being. Hmm, I’ll have to let him know that he should tell Scootaloo's parents about him working on the farm now.” Applejack glanced over to Connor who was pulling a cart into the barn filled with tools that were no longer being used.

“So, does this mean that you believe me when I say he really isn’t that bad?” Twilight said hopefully.

“He's not out of the pigs' pen yet, but after hearing his apology and seeing how hard he's working I’d say he's making step in the right direction.”

“I’ll believe it when I hear him say 'sorry'. Are you sure he is not just a meanie trying to seem nice?” Rarity gave a sideways glance to emphasize her disbelief.

“Rarity, if he was just a meanie to the core, would Scootaloo's parents make him their foalsitter while they're busy working. You've heard how those two have to work late to give their daughter what she needs. You and I both know how that feels when you don’t have enough hours of sunlight and you still got to bring the cows in and water half an orchard.”

“I’m not sure about cows,” Rarity commented, “but I understand the necessity to finish a dress order before a deadline. Are you sure about this, Applejack?”

“I’ve got this handled like a lassoing contest at a wild west tournament in Apploosa,” Applejack reassured.

Just then Connor called out to Applejack, “Hey Applejack! Is it alright if I use your punching bag a little bit?”

“Uh, sure! I guess!” Applejack shouted back cupping a hoof around her mouth.

“Thanks!” he shouted back and disappeared back into the barn.

Applejack turned back to her friends, “Well, I better get back to work. Was there anything else I could help you with?”

“Oh! I originally came by to give you these. You said Granny smith needed some more knitting materials so I brought some more yarn and a few knitting needles just in case.” Rarity levitated the yarn and needles out of her saddle bags and over to Applejack and placed them on her back.

“Thanks Rarity. I’ll give these to granny right away. She's been wanting to try some more knitting patterns after she ran out of yarn to knit with.”

“Please don’t be too hard on him, okay Applejack?” Fluttershy pleaded with her.

“We'll see, sugar cube. But if he keeps going like he is, then there won't be any problems,” Applejack said calmly.

“Will you let me know if anything happens?” Twilight gave a slightly worried glance at the barn where Connor was last seen.

“Sure, Twilight. But I think I can handle anything he tries.”

“I’m not sure I would agree with this, but I trust your judgment, Applejack,” Rarity huffed in defeat.

“Well, since we don’t need to go searching for Connor now, I’ll be heading back to the library to write another report to Princess Celestia and tell the other towns to stop their searches. You sure you have everything handled, Applejack?”

“Don't worry, Twilight. Everything will be fine.”

“Okay.” Twilight reluctantly walked away from the farm with her friends by her side as Applejack headed back towards the barn. She bowed her head in concerned thought. Twilight trusted Applejack with the upmost sincerity, so she believed Applejack when she said she had things covered. However, most of her concern was going to Connor. He looked like he was holding everything together with no signs of outbursts or fits of rage. But she was wondering if that was because his spirits were already broken, or if he was trying to conceal a complete breakdown from happening.

“Twilight? Are you sure you're alright? You still look worried.” Rarity's words pulled Twilight back to reality to see both her friends with concerned faces.

“Are you sure you don’t want to just take Connor with you to your home, Twilight? It might make you feel better to have another friend around and you can teach him how to enjoy this world,” Fluttershy offered with a smile.

Twilight shook her head, “No, I think it might be best to just wait and see what happens before I try to step in. He may not need intervention and may learn to adapt here on his own. So for now, I will trust Applejack to keep care of him for awhile. In the mean time, I have to make a list of all the parts that need to be replaced to fix the portal.”

“Well then, since we are not going on a search for your missing pony I can get back to my shop and deliver those dresses to the mail office to be shipped.”

“Oh, well, I guess I could say hello to Mr. Bear today. He looked a little sad today so I could go cheer him up.”

The two mares parted ways as they entered the town leaving Twilight by herself to think as she made her way to her library. Connor was just one of the many things floating around in the storm of confusion and indecisiveness in her mind. She still had a portal to rebuild and that in itself was it's own little storm. Parts she needed to order, components that needed to be hoof crafted by magical theory specialists outside of Canterlot, and other devices that needed to be recreated by her were just the start. It was looking like a experiment that would take several months before it would be finished. Twilight opened the front door to the library and walked over to one of her writing desks. She pulled out a scroll, some ink, and a quill. Spike came down the stairs from the second floor, “Hey Twilight! Did you finish putting up those fliers already?” he hopped off the stairs and jogged over to the writing desk.

“Actually, we already found Connor. Applejack found him at the barn and now he's there working on it. I was going to write another report to the Princess informing her about our findings and some observations on his current condition.”

“Really? How's he doing right now?”

“Well, he looked fine when we saw him. So he could be adapting well to our world, or-”

“Or, he could be trying to hide his true emotions! When deep down, he really, truly loves being a pony and cant wait to start flying around to doing amazing stunts like rainbow dash!” Spike lept off a chair nearby and flapped his arms to imitate a bird flying before landing and running back over to Twilight.

“Or, he could be trying to hold his sanity together and not break down in front of everypony,” she said with a frown.

“Oh, yeah. He could be doing that too. So have you made any progress in fixing that portal yet?”

“Well, I was hoping that the Princess might be able to help out with that. It took me almost an entire year to get the funding to build this portal. I had to use our income from working here at the library and our royal stipend just to get all the parts needed to start construction. And now, I need to build another portal as soon as possible so I can send Connor back to his world.”

“Is that why you've been eating noodles so often for the past year?” he asked innocently.

“I may have been forced to do a little bit of rebudgeting over this past year,” she averted her gaze to avoid eye contact. Meanwhile, the quill was writing furiously across the scroll. Twilight looked back at the scroll to look over what she wrote before giving a decisive nod. She rolled up the scroll in her magic and passed it to spike, “Could you please send this to Princess Celestia?”

“Sure,” Spike took the scroll and let out a burst of green flames. The letter evaporated into green dust and flew off towards the castle.

“Now all we can do is wait and see if the princess can help us.”

“Don’t worry, Twilight. I sure that the princess wil- buuueeerrrrppp!

Spike belched out a puff of green flames again and a scroll magically appeared. He caught the scroll and his out stretched arms and unfurled the letter to read. He cleared his throat,

“Dear Twilight, I would be more than happy to assist in the endeavor of returning our new other-worldly resident back to his rightful home. I will begin with routing more funding to your project and bringing in some of Equestria's brightest minds to help in rebuilding the dimensional bridge to the other world. Yours Sincerely, Princess Celestia.

P.S. I understand your desire to further your magical studies and your experiments. But please remember to spend some time to take care of your own health as well. Even princesses need to eat properly.”

Twilight gave an embarrassed grin as spike looked up from the letter with a smug look. He furled up the letter again and set down on the writing desk.

“Well, then I guess that question has been answered. Now, how about I go make you a real meal, Twilight?” Spike started for the kitchen with a smug grin still poised on his mouth. Twilight's stomach gave a loud growl, “Sure Spike, I would like that.”

Twilight followed suit after spike for a home made meal made by her number one assistant.

Author's Note:

God, this was a hard chapter for me to write. I knew how I wanted to make this chapter play out, it was just getting it out on paper and making it a cohesive writing. Anyways, I wanted to break up the 'Connor' parts with some time with twilight. The next chapters will have some more meaningful parts and talk about more serious topics. Again, any kind of constructive criticism would be helpful; I am always looking to improve. With that, lets move on to the next chapter!