• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 5,352 Views, 397 Comments

The Games We are Forced to Play - Kablam Pony



Connor lived a normal life when a mishap occurs from one of Twilight's projects and she ends up in his back yard. Now being forced to flee the cops back to Twilight's dimension, Connor must make a new life and stop a plot of world domination.

  • ...
26
 397
 5,352

14: Test Your Flight

Connor

Connor flapped his wings to a steady pace as he made his approach to the field. His total time training under his rainbow drill sergeant was now seven days, but his total fight time was about half of that. It was only on Thursday did he start actually flying, but most of that was just gliding down to a make shift landing pad. Even though Rainbow Dash still yelled at him to keep going, the could hear a difference in tone in her shouting. It no longer held that malice of not liking him and was replaced with desire to see Connor excel. The day after that, Rainbow Dash had spent the entire time working on his take offs from the ground, getting his wings to flap in sync with each other, and his landing properly.

Taking off from a stand still felt strange, like he was struggling to get some kind of traction in the air before he actually started moving forward. It was also hard training himself to not panic from the sudden drop of altitude whenever he flapped his wings. It was more of a mental challenge of overcoming the idea his wings will keep him airborne and not plummet to his death. He compared it with overcoming the fear of going over backwards when he first started doing backflips at his martial arts team practices. Landing was probably one of the more easily obtainable skills for Connor. All he had to do was slow down to stalling speeds on the ground before letting himself fall out of the air.

Today however, Rainbow had chosen to make aerial maneuvers the next thing on the training schedule for the next day. So on Saturday, Connor had spent most of the afternoon learning basic maneuvers like banking, barrel rolls, and flying inverted. Right now, Rainbow was having him do loops. None of these maneuvers were new to him; in fact, he was quite familiar with all of them. The only thing he was struggling to cope with was the G forces. The sensation of blood rushing from his head down to his hooves or vice versa was something left to be desired. But Connor was actually pretty good at flying around once he was in the air. He gave all his credit to one thing from his world: video games. Playing those combat flight simulator games were coming in real handy right now.

When Connor finally reached the field where he and Rainbow Dash were training he executed his loop with decent proficiency before continuing on back around to make another pass.

He circled back around and was about to make another pass in front of Rainbow Dash when he heard her calling up to him, “Hey Connor! Come down here for a sec!”

Connor looked down to spot rainbow cupping her mouth to yell louder. Standing next to her was Twilight also watching him flying around.

Uh oh,” he thought to himself. He sharpened his banking maneuver and came in for a landing. He touched down letting his legs get used to having solid ground beneath them again before speaking, “What's up, Dash? Hey Twilight,” he gave a slight nod in her direction.

“Twilight here, wants a little demonstration on how well you're doing. And I’ve come up with an amazing idea to do that and make it training at the same time. So I’ve got a little challenge for you,” Rainbow Dash motioned with her head towards Twilight while striding forward in an extremely, overly casual way. Her body language was sending up red flags everywhere in Connor's mind.

“What kind of 'challenge'?” his wariness was quite clear in his voice but Connor couldn't hide his nervous smirk spreading across his face.

“Ooh, nothing too hard. It'll just be a simple game of tag, that's all,” Rainbow averted her gaze not looking directly at Connor's scowl.

He narrowed his eyes knowing full well this was not going to be simple, “Just a simple game, she says. Nothing could ever go wrong,” he thought in his most sarcastic voice he could think of. But his time and relationship with rainbow had become something of a friendly rivalry. She would always issue the challenges to him and Connor would see if he could either beat the challenge or prove her wrong. Perhaps this was just another of one of her challenges to him.

“Alright then.” Connor had accepted her duel and it was time to see how well he would preform under pressure. Rainbow had moved up along side him by this point and was looking pleased, “Great! On your marks, get set..... 321GO!TAGYOU'REIT!!”

She jabbed a hoof out and touched Connor's side before launching in to the sky leaving a small dust cloud and a rainbow blur behind her. Connor coughed a couple of times before rolling his eyes and shaking his head, “Every single time,” he commented.

He turned around to face his opponent who was circling overhead waiting for the tagger to give chase. He stared up for a second and smirked to himself. Secretly, he had been wanting to test himself and see how far he had come in training. Just how fast was he? How hard could he break around a corner before his wings gave out? He was about to find out

“Well, this should be fun,” he said to nopony in particular. He pushed off the ground and gave a powerful flap of his wings to get him off the ground. His take off was not his best one, but it got him airborne and flying. He kept flapping to gain more altitude and meet up with Rainbow Dash who was hovering above him. When he finally got close enough, he saw Rainbow Dash flash a grin and turned away to start the chase. Connor followed after her, still flapping his wings for more altitude and gain advantage over her.

The chase started off easy; Rainbow would bank either left or right trying to casually throw Connor off her tail. But the lack of complexity or speed made it easy for him to fly past and jab her in the back before breaking left to create as much distance between them. As soon as he tagged Rainbow she would whip around and give chase after him. Connor banked and jinked back and forth trying to make himself a harder target to hit. He could keep her out of reach for a little bit, but then Rainbow would just power past him smacking Connor in the head yelling, “You're it!”

It was clear that Connor would have to step his game up and start using more complex moves. From the time Connor took off, he had set himself in his energy saving mode; trying to conserve as much energy for as long as possible while still being hard to hit. It was his most efficient setting and used it most often when trying to endure punishment. However, if he wanted to show what he could do, he was going to have to switch his settings to high performance. He would fly faster, but use up more energy. Then again, this wasn't an endurance race so conserving energy was pointless.

He frowned as he changed his strategy, “Alright then, lets do this.”

[you are required to play this to fully immerse yourself in what is about to happen]

He flapped his wings harder, going faster and faster. The acceleration he generated from his own wings surprised him. Rainbow Dash glanced over her right shoulder to inspect her pursuer, only to duck briefly to avoid a blue rocket flying past her shouting, “You're it!”

While rainbow was distracted by Connor's sudden acceleration, he had tagged rainbow on the back as he sped past her. As soon as he tagged her, Connor broke off to his left into a chandelle, climbing higher to move his kinetic energy into potential energy. He glanced over his left shoulder to see if rainbow had gotten out of her shock. When she finally shook her head clear, a devilish grin stretched across her mouth. She sped up faster than Connor had to give chase and Connor wasted no time switching from offense to defense.

He flapped his wings harder to gain more speed before breaking right across Rainbow's flight path. Rainbow fell in behind Connor in lag pursuit and he could hear the beat of her wings behind him. Connor pulled back into a counter clockwise barrel roll hoping Rainbow Dash would overshoot. Out of the corner of his eye, Connor could see Rainbow Dash hot on his trails. He pulled back harder turning his barrel roll into a lag displacement roll. However this was a mistake as once Connor leveled out, Rainbow Dash put on a burst of speed and screamed past him smacking his right hip and yelling, “You're it!”

The two were headed for the tree house library as the chase continued. Rainbow sliced downward, making a u-turn around the tree with Connor closing fast. Despite Rainbow's experience, she couldn't quite hold her speed through the turn. Connor on the other hand, whipped around the corner with no problem; in fact, his entry speed was fast and his exit speed out of the turn was even faster. Connor grinned to himself. His time with both arcade and simulation racing games was paying off. As a racer, he knew the best way to take a corner was either an apex turn or a late apex turn. They were the quickest ways around corners and it showed. While Rainbow was struggling to regain her speed, Connor zipped by her and tagged as he passed by.

They headed back out into the open field again, trading roles of cat and mouse. Connor was enjoying himself more and more as the difficulty of each tag increased. But he was figuring out that Rainbow Dash was really good in open areas with lots of space to travel in straight lines. He needed to force her into tight corners where maneuverability was key. As Rainbow Dash blew past him for the seventh time tagging him and yelling, “You're it!” , he calculated a plan to get her into town. He banked hard around to fall into a lag pursuit after Rainbow. They rolled, pitched, and dived all around the skies, but Connor was slowly working his way closer to town. Finally, Rainbow made a dive for town and Connor followed after her with victory glinting in his eyes.

They tore through the streets of Ponyville, pulling heavy G turns around every corner. Connor could feel himself slipping into the zone, his mind mapping out tracks and shortcuts before him as he subconsciously planned for an overtake. They ripped through the main market streets and darted in and out of the back alleys behind shops and homes. Connor was gaining ground on his target, inch by inch, as he closed the gap between them. Adrenaline was slowly flooding his veins and his eyes slowly dilated for maximum perception.

You see, Connor discovered during his martial arts training that he had a turbo switch inside of him. At around 80 percent of maximum power, he still had enough restraint to control his actions and plan out attacks; 85 percent if he really feathered it. But the last 15 percent was connected to his internal turbo switch. He didn’t have a way to control that last 15 percent as a gradual increase in power; It was either all of it or none of it. He could feel the finger that monitored his energy and intent slowly reach out for that barely touched turbo switch. It hovered there watching as Connor slowly gained ground against rainbow dash. He watched as rainbow dash took another corner poorly and go wide while Connor executed another perfect turn.

3...

His hooves were inches away from that tag.

2...

Connor's head was level with her back legs and he could feel Rainbow's wings push the air behind her, propelling Rainbow forward.

1...

He could see Rainbow's mark on her side in absolute clarity. A white fluffy cloud with red, yellow, and blue lightning shooting down. He reached out from his superman pose to go for the tag.

*Flck*

As soon as he got that final tag, Connor went all in on everything. He put all his trust in his wings to hold up and perform under extreme stress for what he was about to do next. He jabbed Rainbow right in her mark before pulling HARD to his right and disappeared down an alley way. He didn't even yell 'You're it' after he tagged her because he was so focused on avoiding her.

His speed increased drastically and his wings flexed with all their might to hold the maneuvers he was asking them to do. He had pulled out his booklet of aerial maneuvers and was using everything he could think of to keep Rainbow from ever tagging him again. He made barrel rolls of all shapes, sizes and directions. He made sharp u-turns around buildings and executed high and low yo-yo turns. Connor flew knife edge between stalls, homes, and even a few pegasi hanging the air.

But running at 100 percent power is draining on the body. Even though the turbo provided a huge increase in power and performance, it was extremely draining on his energy reserves. It was only two or three minutes of this extreme flying, but it felt like hours to Connor. The adrenaline was slowly wearing off and he could feel fatigue slowly adding weight to his body. He was slowly slipping out of his zone as his tanks were running out of fuel. Connor could feel his body getting tired with the effort to maintain such peak performance and it was showing.

His wings were misfiring, so to speak, and occasionally sent turbulence through out his flight and would have to fight to regain control over his trajectory. He sometimes stayed too long in a turn and he would have to over-correct his mistake just to stay on the road and not crash into somepony's house or business. His eyes were losing focus and staring off into space before being wrenched back into reality and have to make an emergency break to avoid collision.

The mistakes started off small, but after a while they were building up and becoming more frequent. He risked a glance over his shoulder to spot Rainbow Dash slowly closing on him. He tried to keep up the defense against Rainbow Dash and his own fatigue, but the fatigue was a one sided battle and was in turn, affecting the battle against Rainbow Dash. He skimmed through his booklet of tricks again was coming up blank. He held out on one or two maneuvers left in his booklet because they were reserved for really extreme cases. He was in trouble, but not in enough trouble to warrant the usage of his secret moves. So he searched for other ideas to regain lost ground as he fought with Rainbow Dash in some of the more open streets heading back towards the library and the open field. Connor glanced up at the sky one last time. He had one idea left that he was willing to try. It was a long shot and only prolonged the inevitable, but as of now he was only looking to prolong it by a few seconds at max.

Rainbow Dash and Connor flew past the tree house and back into the open field and into Rainbow's domain. Once Connor cleared the town, he went into a sharp zoom climb using all his remaining kinetic energy into going higher. Once that ran out, he flapped his exhausted wings in an attempt to gain more altitude. He threw a look over his right shoulder and could see Rainbow slowly but steadily climbing up on his right side. He faced back forward as the rushing wind deafened him and he continued to climb. He just needed a few more seconds of this to lead Rainbow into thinking that she got him.

He could now hear the beating of Rainbow's wings behind him and he dared not look back behind him. His vision was getting dark despite the bright blue canvas before him. His mind felt sluggish from the exhaustion; or was it something else? His consciousness was slowly waning and he fought to stay awake for a few more moments. He could hear Rainbow panting behind him trying to keep up the steady pace of a vertical climb. Connor only had a split second to make this work. He flapped a few more times as the light in front of him faded into blackness. With his final effort he rolled to his left and tucked his wings to his sides before blacking out.

~~~

Rainbow panted heavily with the exertion of keeping up with Connor. He had put up one heck of a fight against the greatest flier in Equestria, but in the end, she knew she would be victorious in this game of tag because she was awesome. She was impressed with Connor's spectacular display of extreme agility and determination as he flew through the tight streets of Ponyville. In some of those turns, she had to slow down to avoid a crash landing and a premature end to their game.

The residents of Ponyville were quite surprised to see Connor and herself rocketing through town and some had shouted at them. She had laughed at their yells of anger and continued giving chase after her cadet in training. After a while she was noticing mistakes in his flying. They were minor at first, but after a while it was getting sloppy.

Come on Connor! I know you're a better flier than that!” she thought to herself loudly. But the mistakes kept growing and Rainbow was steadily making up lost ground after she struggled to keep up with Connor in the turns. Eventually they headed back out to the open fields past the library. Rainbow grinned. Now that they were in the open, she had plenty of room to play.

However, Connor pulled back hard again and went into a steep climb, flapping hard to keep up the climb rate. Rainbow followed after him knowing that she was going to get the last tag of the game before ending it. She couldn't stand losing. She breathed heavily with the effort to keep climbing faster than Connor. She was feet away from scoring that tag and she reached with an outstretched hoof to get that final tag.

“Aaaannd, gotcha! Huh?!”

Connor had rolled at the last possible moment to avoid the tag by centimeters. She threw on the air brakes and came to a hover to watch Connor fall to the ground. At first she was impressed again with his hidden skills as a flier, but something was off. His wings fluttered limply in the wind and he hadn't angled himself for a dive either. His mouth hung agape and his eyes were closed.

She froze in trepidation waiting for Connor to recover out of the fall and glide back down to Ponyville where she would congratulate him on a job well done. But, he didn't. Seconds ticked by and Rainbow gasped as she finally came to a sudden, shocking conclusion. She dived, letting her wings tuck beside her and assumed the flying position. She had to hurry if Connor was going to survive this potentially fatal state.

“Twilight!!” she shouted over the roar of the wind rumbling by. She continued to shout as loud as she could trying to get the alicorn's attention and desperate help. But Twilight simply put a hoof to her ear trying to hear her friend. So Rainbow pointed to Connor still falling uncontrollably with urgency hoping she would get the message. Twilight's eyes darted between Rainbow's frantic pointing and Connor and the terrible realization hit her in the face. She ran while spreading her own wings trying to close the distance between her and Connor as they attempted to save him. Rainbow called out Connor's name hoping it would bring him back to the conscious world.

~~~

Inhale... exhale... inhale... exhale... breathe. Maintain breathing rate.

Begin system reboot.... Reboot complete.

Current status: Unknown. Current location: Unknown.

Last thought: Searching... Error. Restore previous thought process. Completed.

Last known activity: Tag with Rainbow Dash. Previous location before shut down: Over Ponyville.

Last known altitude: High. Current altitude: Unknown. Time between last position and now: Unknown.

Wait how long have I been out? I feel like I'm still falling. The noise from the wind sounds like I am.

“Connor!”

Is some one calling me? Wait, I think that's Rainbow. Wait, hang on! How long have I been falling? I have no idea how far away from the ground I am. I need to figure out where I am. Come on, open your eyes. I need to open my eyes. Open. Open. OPEN!

Connor's eyes flashed open as everything came rushing back to him. The game, the last ditch effort; his black out. He craned around trying to spot the ground below him. He was getting dangerously close for comfort from hitting the ground and becoming a splatter mark on the road. He needed to start flying again.

He wriggled around in the air struggling to get his hooves facing the ground again. After twisting his body around to face the ground, he had to remember how to use his wings. Time was slowing down as his demise approached closer and closer. His wings finally shot open to his sides and they quickly caught the air. His altitude was just above the tree tops which left little room to maneuver. He locked his wings in a gliding position and followed the road as he slowly descended. The ground rushed passed him, but he had essentially locked up his entire body in a gliding position.

His hooves scraped across the ground and his body released from its lock down. However, releasing from lock down did not mean he was preparing for a landing. So Connor fell out of the sky at speed and tumbled and rolled to a complete stop. He frantically got to his hooves and scanned desperately for anything out of the ordinary. His fight or flight reaction was dictating his actions and was preparing to scramble away from any hostile adversaries. When none presented itself to him, he took a moment to do a field check of his entire body for any kind of injuries.

Memories of training came back as he remembered during desperate situations, the body turns off its pain receptors and basically ignores damage to the body. They had taught to do a pat down of yourself for any signs of blood or other injuries. So Connor took a few moments running his hooves across his body and wings searching for any signs of damage. When his inspection came back empty, he relaxed a little.

“Connor!”

Connor's head snapped up with wild eyes looking in the direction of the disturbance. But he relaxed again when he saw only Twilight and Rainbow Dash running up to him. When they both stopped in front of him, the two mares started talking at the same time.

“Oh my goodness, Connor are you okay?!”
“That, was, awesome!!”
“Are you hurt anywhere?”
“How did you pull that last move?!”
“Connor, look at me! How many horns do I have?”
“The way you rolled out of the way at the last second! That was amazing!!”
“Rainbow!!”
“What?!”

Twilight glared daggers at Rainbow Dash. Connor's eyes were darting back and forth between the two and he didn't know who or which question to answer, so he simply made a noise.

“Uuuuuuhhhhhh...”

Connor had done a lot of things in his life. Some of them were not his smartest ones, and some of them could have easily gotten him seriously hurt. Riding motorcycles and participating in martial arts held both some of his greatest achievements and also some of his dumbest ideas. Motorcycling held more of the dangerous encounters that could have resulted in his death, but this was a new kind of kissing death. He didn’t have protective gear to wear in case he went down.

Twilight huffed in exasperation before returning to question Connor again, “Connor, are you okay?”

“He's fine Twilight, Look at him! We may have had a bit of a close call, but everything worked out in the end.” Rainbow tried to look confident under Twilight's laser vision and it was slowly melting her bravado; to the point where she looked down at the ground and scuffed it with her hoof.

Connor's stomach let out a loud growl demanding to be fed and his mouth tasted like cardboard, “Um, I am hungry and I could use some water...”

“Alright then! I know of a cafe not far from here. We can have lunch there and relax. And we are walking there, Rainbow Dash!” Twilight shot another death stare at her friend who glanced away and laughed nervously. Connor secretly thanked Twilight for forcing everypony to walk there.

~~~

The cafe Twilight was referring to was a nice little place near the outer edges of Ponyville. It was a quaint little shop with outdoor seating for the three ponies approaching. Twilight and Connor sat down while Rainbow remained standing.

“You guys go ahead and eat. I going back out there and try some of those moves you made, hotshot. I’ll see you in a bit!” With that, Rainbow took off again leaving Twilight and Connor alone. They stared off after Rainbow before coming back and resting on the table in front of them.

“Are you sure that you're okay, Connor?” Twilight asked again.

“Yes, Twilight. I’m fine,” he lied. His body was still trembling from shock and over exertion and it was visible to Twilight.

“Maybe some food will help,” she levitated two menus over to their table and set them down in front of each other, “Go ahead and pick what you like. I’ll buy the food.”

“Thanks,” Connor scanned over the menu and picked out something that looked good and some water.

After the waiter took their orders, Connor put his head down on the table to rest and think to himself. What happened to him during the end of that game? He understood that he lost consciousness which was weird for him. He had never been knocked out and the only time he lost consciousness was when he was sleeping.

So that's what it feels like to be knocked out,” he thought with intrigue. His mind went blank for a little bit waiting for the next thought to come along. Eventually, the next question that came to mind was, “How high did I go?

He sat on that thought and frowned at the ground. He had no altimeter to gauge how far he was from the ground and no reference points to base off of. The next question that came was, 'How high can I go?' followed by, 'Is there space in this dimension? Is this place a planet in a solar system or just a plane of existence?'. He pondered these question for a while until Twilight spoke up again.

“Is everything okay?”

“Hm?” Connor lifted his head and out of his thoughts to stare at her, “Oh, yeah, I'm fine. I’m just still a little shaky after what happened.” his body let out a little tremor.

Twilight gave a concerned look, but let the subject drop while they continued to wait for their food. Connor breathed out and let himself return to the question of how he had passed out. A couple of ideas came to mind, but he couldn't be sure of any of them. The first idea was possibly lack of oxygen. Pilots from his world have reported blacking out from lack of oxygen and the medical world had labeled that phenomenon as 'Hypoxia'. It was possible that the atmosphere in this world differed from his own, but he had no evidence to support that.

The next one was G forces. Connor knew what G force felt like, it was a sensation that either felt debilitating or exhilarating; like the world pushing against you and in a direction opposite of where you want to go. Perhaps his exhaustion had made it easier for this world's gravity to pull the blood away from his head causing unconsciousness. It made logical sense in his mind, but it raised other questions he did not feel like trying to answer.

His final thought was he simply didn't have enough experience in tolerating and dealing with combat flight. It was the simplest and the easiest to comprehend, so he chalked up his passing out to inexperience and a combination of G forces and less oxygen as he went higher up in the atmosphere.

The food finally arrived and Connor was starving. He inhaled the food in his mouth and downed his glass of water as if he was in a desert and hadn't see water for days. By the time Connor had finished his meal and was now ordering another one, Twilight was only about three quarters of the way done her own. After his second meal came, Connor noticed that Twilight was trying not to stare at him as he wolfed down his food. He slowed down his pace so as to not seem like he was taking advantage of her hospitality and appear more civil.

As they quietly ate their food Connor asked Twilight a question, “Hey Twilight, do you know how high I went?”

“How high did you go?”

“Yeah.”

“Ummm, let's see. I’m trying to think of a good reference point to gauge how high you went...”

She scrunched up her nose in thought looking for something that could be used as a point of relevance. A light bulb went off in her mind as she found a good match.

“Okay, in Equestria we have a city called Cloudsdale and it is a city that is made of clouds and floats through the air,” she paused in preparation of her next words while Connor tried to ignore the absurdity of a floating city made of clouds and just imagine it as some kind of reference point, “Lets use the sandwich to represent Cloudsdale,” she levitated her remaining sandwich to a certain point in the air, “And lets use this rock to represent you,” she levitated a small rock off the ground and showed it to him, “Now, I believe from where I was standing, if we calculate the angle I was looking up and measure distance from where I was standing to the point on the ground you were just above we can conclude that your altitude compared to Cloudsdale was... here!” she placed the rock between the sandwich and the table top. It was a little over half way from where the rock was to the sandwich.

“Really? Only about half way?” Connor was surprised to learn this. On one hand, it surprised him that he made it that far in the first place. On the other hand, it surprised him that he only made it that far. While Connor was lost in thought, Rainbow Dash had returned from her flying.

“Hey guys, how's everypony doing?” she glanced between Twilight holding her sandwich and a rock in the air while Connor was bent forward in deep thought.

“Are we talking about how high my cadet in training got? Because if so, it really wasn't that high,” Rainbow sat down and took a bite out of the flying sandwich before Twilight could snatch it away.

“All I’m saying is,” she swallowed the food in her mouth, “This was only his first attempt so of course it's not going to be that high. We haven't even made it to Cloudsdale's level of altitude yet.” Rainbow Dash rolled her eyes and looked around for another morsel to steal. Connor was hung up on the last thing Dash had said. He hadn't even made it to Cloudsdale. He took this as another challenge to achieve and raised his head with new determination in his eyes.

“Hey Rainbow, I want to change up our training,” Rainbow snapped her head to Connor while in the middle of taking another bite of some food she found.

“What do you mean you want to change up your training?!” she yelled accusingly, “What, is my training not good enough for you or do you think you can make it on your own? Well let me tell you-”

“Let me reiterate,” Connor cut Dash off, “What I mean to say is, I would like to move my training over to handling higher altitudes so I don't black out again,” he gave Rainbow a serious look.

“Oh,” Rainbow simmered down, “Well, I guess we could move on to that,” she put a hoof to her chin in thought, “You know, I’ve been meaning to tell you Twilight, that I recently scored some tickets to the Wonderbolts show in Cloudsdale and I was going to invite everypony to come along when I got distracted training this pony here,” she pointed at Connor.

“How soon is this Wonderbolts show?” Twilight looked quizzically at Rainbow.

“Oh, its only three weeks away from now,” she said nonchalantly.

“wait, three weeks?!” Connor exclaimed, “You plan on getting me to Cloudsdale's altitude in under three weeks. I’ve only had one other time in my life where I was only given three weeks to prepare for something, but that was with a team and it didn't solely rely on me carrying everyone,” Connor put on his best 'are you serious?' face as he stared incredulously at Rainbow Dash's proposal.

“Oh come on, Connor! Did you see those moves you made back there when you were flying around town? You've got some talent that shouldn't go to waste on boring things. And who wouldn't want to go see the Wonderbolts?!” she got up to spread her arms inviting somepony to disagree with her.

“Hmm, well I guess we could take another trip to Cloudsdale for the show,” Twilight was rubbing her chin in thought, “If I remember correctly, we also have an important pony passing through town in about a week and a half after the show. So, I don’t see why we can't go see it,” Twilight concluded.

Connor stared at Twilight as his he was outvoted in the debate. But he picked out one detail that Twilight dropped, “Wait, who is this important pony you are talking about?”

“Oh, his name is Richard Sportsen. He is a business pony in the sports entertainment industry. He has been traveling all over Equestria for months now looking for the next big game. I've heard that he has been stopping in every city and town looking for new ideas. The news paper says he hasn't found anything yet, but he will be arriving in Ponyville in a few weeks looking for possible sports to start up.”

This new information was sparking new ideas in Connor's mind on the possibilities the opportunity presented. This could be his chance to tackle one of his larger goals while in this world. However, he would have to think about this later. At this moment, he needed to be able to reach Cloudsdale for the show. He stuffed his ideas of grandeur away in a filing cabinet in his mind to be pulled out at a later occasion when he had time.

“So, will you help me get to Cloudsdale?” turning his attention back on the sky blue Pegasus.

“Heck yeah, I’ll help! And I think I know the perfect way to do it. You can help with cloud busting with me tomorrow morning! Meet me at my place at 10:00 am, sharp!” Rainbow Dash got up from the table to enter into a hover, “And don't think your training is going to get any easier! We're still going to be working on your top speed and maneuverability!” With those final words Rainbow Dash blasted off into the sky above.

If Connor was switching jobs, he was going to have to take it up with Applejack again. He was already working for her on the farm in the mornings and training in the afternoons with Rainbow Dash. He could try to convince her to switch times from mornings to afternoons, but he felt Applejack had already been generous enough with letting him have the afternoons. She may be kind enough to just let him switch jobs entirely and just help Rainbow Dash with her work and then train in the afternoons.

Twilight and Connor stared after Rainbow Dash for a while before Connor turned back to Twilight to ask, “What's cloud busting?”

Author's Note:

GOD! DAYUM! that was a blast to write!! what do you guys think? Was that good or was that good? A lot of new possibilities just opened up and I can't wait to cover them! Who is this Richard Sportsen? Will Connor make it in time for the wonderbolts show? What kind of shenanigans will we get into next?! Oooohhh, this is going to be so much fun!! we are finally, getting into the good parts of the story!

I had so much fun writing this chapter. I binged on it for a evening and wrote over 4000 words in one night. I have been dying to write chapters like this one for the excitement and because this is a turning point in the story. Shit is about to get real. Oh, you thought this might be the only time I was going to use music? Guess again; I have been planning, and plotting, and scheming with a whole soundtrack for moments like these! expect more awesome music in the future because shit is about to get even more awesome!

Any kind of constructive criticism would be helpful.

On to the next chapter!