• Published 7th Apr 2015
  • 5,351 Views, 397 Comments

The Games We are Forced to Play - Kablam Pony



Connor lived a normal life when a mishap occurs from one of Twilight's projects and she ends up in his back yard. Now being forced to flee the cops back to Twilight's dimension, Connor must make a new life and stop a plot of world domination.

  • ...
26
 397
 5,351

1: Just a Normal Day...

For more information on how this story fits in to the series and other explanations, please click here. enjoy.


BEEEEEEEEEEEEEEP!!!!!!!!

“that's it for today. Please make sure to turn in any late homework now before its too late. Have a good rest-of-your-Tuesday!”

As the school bell rang, high schoolers were flooding out of the main school building and the portables off to the side. It was late May and the sun was out in full blast with out a cloud in sight. The few leaf trees that were on campus stood tall displaying its vibrant green leaves with pride; the ever green trees that surrounded the area stood even taller with its fresh needles sprouting from its seeds that grew over the course of spring and into summer. It was a hot 86 degrees with barely a breeze and everyone in there right mind was wearing shorts and a t-shirt at least. There were a couple of jocks with muscle shirts on and a LOT of girls wearing close cut wear; or as close as they could get away with without being called out by the teachers.

The school's main building was a large grey building with two stories. At the front and rear exits of the school were two parking lots filled with cars of all varying conditions. Many were just beaters that were bought for a thousand dollars or less. There were a few that were in decent condition with new shiny chrome wheels, but not many. Off to the side of the rear parking lot were most of the sports fields. There were the tennis courts next to the edge of the road that went behind the school. The indoor pool was on the on the other side of the tennis courts. The track and football field took up most of the property beside the main school building. The field was closely maintained as well as the 400 meter track that encompassed it. Beside that, there was a single baseball field. Still in good working condition, but could use a little T.L.C. At the front of the school and off to the side were the cluster of portables to hold extra class rooms. They were all faded blue on the outside and all had a service ramp leading up to the single door.

As the students were starting to make there way to the buses that were lining up in front of the school, one guy stepped out a portable who was still wearing jeans and boots despite the weather. They were one of his favorite pair of work jeans that were faded and slightly dirty, but comfortable. His boots were that of combat ones, scuffed with black patches and streaks. You know, the big heavy tan ones that you can find at surplus stores or second hand. At least he got the t-shirt part, but even that wasn't the most fashion forward thing, just a simple breathable white shirt . He let his green and hazel eyes glance over the scene before him through his rectangular, wire frame glasses. He wiped the sweat off his brow and ran a hand through his dirty blonde hair trying to cool himself off. “Jesus, its hot,” he mumbled to himself. He readjusted his backpack with his motorcycle helmet strapped to the back of it, and headed off to the front parking lot.

Connor was about 7 months out from being 19 and was less than one month out from graduating from high school. As he passed by fellow school mates, he could overhear some of the conversations going on:

“Dude, are you going to the fucking pool?”

“What are you going to do after school?”

“I don’t know, maybe watch a movie.”

“Did you see that girl with the sun dress? Oh, my god it was so cute.”

Connor didn’t come across any of his friends on his way to the front parking lot, but that was okay for him. What was waiting for him in the parking lot was even better. In one spot of the lot sat a red and white sports bike with the decals of F, Z, 6, and R were stamped on the side of it's fairing. It wasn’t one of those crotch rockets that you would assume, but it was still sporting. It was fast enough to keep him entertained for a long while, especially at 145 mph, but not fast enough to give him fantasies of outrunning the cops. They could just as easily meet his speeds, if not pass him in their new muscle cars they were getting. Connor could speak from experience here with the one or two speeding tickets he had received.

The bike was Connor's graduation present for finishing high school on time and with pretty high grades; not that Connor was a slacker or in danger of dropping out though. His Dad was a motorcycle rider who preferred cruisers and was the one responsible for getting his son interested in motorcycles. Dad told him that he would be getting a bike for graduation that he could use to get around and go to work. However, he said he would only put down 2,000 dollars for a bike and if Connor wanted a different bike he needed to come up with the cash to pay for it. Otherwise, it was Dad's discretion to pick out a bike. not that there's anything wrong with cruisers, it just wasn’t his style and he wanted something exciting. Plus, all the girls' attention was always a benefit.

So for the last two and a half years Connor worked his ass off between job, extra chores, and pinching every penny to come up with enough money to get the bike he wanted plus a little extra for gear. He bought a pair of gloves, a great mid-ranged priced helmet with some sweet decal, and went through a MSF motorcycle safety course before he could finally get the bike he wanted. After all the hard work, he could finally enjoy the fruits of his labors. a bike of his choosing was sitting in the parking lot and it was all his.

But you're probably asking why he has his bike now and not after he graduated. Well, his parents decided to take the family (Mom, Dad, two younger brothers and one dog) on a road trip to visit family out of state. The trip would take all summer long and would have been cool, but Connor had job duties and decided to stay home. They mentioned that they would be back soon, but Connor's 'selective' hearing kept him from remembering when they would be back. But he didn’t care. To him, they would be back when they got back.

Connor inserted his key into the bike, flipped the kill switch to the on position, pulled the clutch lever in, and hit the starter button. The bike purred to life with its inline four cylinder engine which always put a smile on his face. He went through his ritual of preparing for a ride. He took off his glasses and undid the chin strap to his helmet before putting it on and putting his glasses back on inside his helmet. Afterward he would put on his gloves and throw his leg over the saddle and kick up the kick stand. Connor closed his tinted visor, backed out of the parking spot and let the clutch out to start rolling. All the other teenagers could have their boring cars. He had a motorcycle.

He rolled through the lot and enjoyed all the eyes on him. Every kid on the buses or near the parking lot stared at this now cool looking guy on a motorcycle with eyes of envy. Connor loved the attention and anonymity of a helmet and a tinted visor. At school he might just be another guy in the hall. But as soon as the helmet came on and he was on the bike, he was the coolest guy in the world. “aw yeah, that's right. You're all jealous and you fucking know it.” he taunted inside of his helmet. he revved the bike a few times making even the biggest haters go goo-goo over him, or tried to rev their cars in similar fashion but with disappointing results. The adults however, simply stared at him with their disapproving glares and already preconceived misconception that he was going to either dump the bike or die within the next five minutes after leaving the campus. Hater gonna hate, am I right?

30 minutes later, Connor finally rolled into the driveway of his home. He had spent a little extra time playing around on the bike by taking some corners faster than deemed safe on the road and being well over the speed limit down the straightaways. Connor was usually a well behaved kid, but was definitely not some golden boy who followed every rule to the letter. He opened the garage door rolled his bike in and walked in through the front door as per habit.

“I’m home,” he said to himself again. His family had been gone for a few days now so there was no one home but him. Connor walked down the main hallway towards the kitchen and dining room. The living room was off to his left with white walls, a single love couch and some plush chairs where his Mom and Dad usually sat when they were home. a set of stairs that lead up the second floor were on his right along with the door to the garage. He dropped his bag and gear near the foot of the stairs and went in to the kitchen to make a couple of sandwiches. One to eat right now, another to eat in his room. The kitchen was conjoined with the dining room on the right. The kitchen was stocked the standard equipment. A refrigerator and stove stood against the back wall next to a counter that went down the wall and out into the space to form a peninsula. The sink was place along the wall near the corner and a microwave was place beside on the left hand side of the sink. Cupboards hanged over head and were stocked with various cooking ingredients, plates and glasses. The drawers underneath the wooden counter top were filled with plastic and glass dishes, a garbage can, eating utensils and a dishwasher that was partly full. The dining room on the other side was simple. A large wooden table with about six chairs place around it. The dining room shared space with his Dad's computer and office space. So about half of the table was already covered with papers, receipts, magazines, and a box or two. But the family barely ate there anymore and no one really wanted to clean it, so it continued to be used a large desk for holding papers on it. There was a glass sliding door that lead out to the back patio and the grassy backyard. Mom had started a small garden near the back of the fenced in lot where two ever green trees stood. Other than that it wasn't anything special.

With food in mouth and hand he grabbed his gear and bag and headed up stairs for his room. While the downstairs consisted of the living room, kitchen, dining room, a half office and garage, the upstairs had the master bedroom with master bathroom, the TV room, a second full bathroom, and two other bedrooms. Reaching the top of the stairs, Connor turned to his right and away from his parents room and head towards his room, past the TV room on the left and the bathroom on the right. Near the end of the hall sat two doors. The one at the end of the hallway led to his brothers' room while the one on the left led to his.

Connor entered his room with his bed in the opposite corner of the doorway, dressers and a nightstand next to his bed and his computer on a desk along the adjacent wall to the door. A few posters of cars, motorcycles, and wolves lined the walls and a window that showed the driveway was slightly open to get some air in. He tossed his bag near the foot of the bed and set his gear on the dresser before turning to power up his computer. Here was another one of his routines after getting home. He would turn on his computer and wait for it to boot up. In the meantime Connor would check his phone for any new messages then grab his second backpack in the room and repack it for work with fresh clothes and a uniform and belt. Once the computer booted up he would open his email and empty it of any unnecessary messages or spam before simply browsing the web.

“spam, spam, worthless junk. Oh look, the government made another 'mistake'. No shit, Sherlock.”

BRRRRRRNNNNGGGG!!!!!!!!

his phone rang and Connor looked at the caller ID. It was his Mom.

“Hey Mom.”

“Hi honey, how are you?”

“I just got back from school so I’m alright.”

“So how was school?”

Eh, fine. Nothing new today. Just everyone getting ready for summer. How's the trip?”

“Its been good. Your brothers are bored as usual and Dad is walking Kaylee right now.”

“So you're at a rest stop right now?”

“Yeah, and puppy misses you very much.”

“Of course she would miss me. I'm her boy.”

Kaylee was the name of the dog the family owned. She was an Australian Shepard, blue Heeler, border collie mix with beautiful brown coat with a black stripe down the back and a white belly, chest and paws. His parents had gotten her from a working farm in the hopes that she would 'herd' the three siblings. It didn’t exactly work out as planned, but she did add as a distraction from time to time. Connor's brothers didn’t really pay much attention to Kaylee but she got plenty of attention from the other three members of the family. She particularly loved Dad and Connor the most. She would always put on the biggest puppy face that almost always got the last bite of whatever they were eating. She was spoiled, had the family well trained and she knew it. But Kaylee was always nice and would usually listen to commands given by Mom, Dad, or Connor. Usually.

“Are my brothers still sitting around trying to play video games?”

“Of course. What else did you expect?”

“Something different. I'm telling you, you need to take their games away and make them get out and play. They're addicted to them.”

“I understand that Connor, but leave that to us to decide.”

Connor let out an exasperated sigh and leaned back in his chair. He hated his brothers. He despised them. Both were addicted to video games and no one could get them out of the house unless you gave them an ultimatum. But that was only one of a long list of crimes they had committed against their older brother. Theft, failure of repayment, worthless laziness, and first and second degree social embarrassment by relationship just to name a few. The three of them had feuded against each other for years and on many occasions devolved into shouting matches and one near fist fight. But they knew better than to try and get in to a fist fight with Connor. Even though Mom had involved all three of them in martial arts, only Connor was the one who stuck with it. Both of them gave up after 6 weeks.

“Alright well, I got to go now Mom. I have to get ready for work.”

“Alright. Take care while we're gone, okay?”

“Yes Mom, bye.”

“Bye.”

Connor pressed the end key on his phone and set it down on his desk. he looked at his watch he was wearing and saw it was 2:45. that meant fifteen minutes to mess around before he had to go to work.

Connor worked at a martial arts studio as an instructor. His parents had gotten him into martial arts during the summer after his freshman year in high school and he had loved it. For the last four years now that was pretty much his life outside of school. He did everything from sparring, forms, weapons, and team demonstration. He also tried competition and was pretty good at it. Forms and team demonstration were his best performances. Sparring sort of scared him though. At his first sparring tournament, Connor had gassed out from not breathing and eventually could only stand there and take hits before the ref finally stepped in and ended the match.

The school was different then most other schools or clubs. It did teach martial arts and how to defend yourself, that was the 'martial' part of 'martial arts'. Many schools only taught that part of training and once you got your black belt most students would quit and move on to the next thing, or they never made it to black belt and just quit because they didn’t like it anymore. The studio that Connor went to taught that as well as the 'art' side of training. The 'art' side dealt with the life style of a martial artist and a black belt. The belt was to signify more than just time you spent on the mat punching, kicking, and blocking. It was to signify the process of maturing into a respected individual of the community. So at the end of every class the instructor would gather the students together and go over life skills. For the younger crowd that consisted of things like washing your hands, being respectful, and listening to your parents. For the older students, the more serious topics were discussed like drugs, peer pressure, and goal setting.

After a year and a half of being there and training the master instructor had offered to pay him to help out with classes and eventually become an instructor. Now, he was a black belt and was teaching kids from as young as four years old to full grown adults. His job wasn’t too hard. At times it was quite fun. He had many friends there and sometimes felt like big brother with some the younger students. But Connor was getting tired of dealing with the 4 to 6 year old's. So he was searching for a new job in the meantime.

3:00 rolled around and Connor grabbed his packed bag and gear and head for the garage.

~~~

At 7:15 Connor finally rolled back into the driveway after today's work. Work was extra stressful today because nothing seemed to go as planned. The troublesome kids were more of a problem than usual and he just couldn’t get the classes excited or energetic about the lessons. Connor walked into the house through the garage door and headed straight for the kitchen. He needed a snack and just wanted to relax.

He made another sandwich, this time being a peanut butter and honey sandwich instead of just a PB and J. he headed right back up to his room where he had left his computer on. He waggled the mouse to wake the screen back up to see a stock photo of city lights at sunset as his background.

“I really need a new background,” Connor thought to himself. He glanced around desktop at the several icons that covered about a quarter of his screen and decided to play one of the many games loaded on the PC. While the game booted up, Connor finished the sandwich he still had with him and looked at his watch again. It read 7:39 PM.

“Only 4 hours to play, huh? Whatever...”

But before Connor could sit down get lost in his game, he heard a strange noise. It sounded like crackling and buzzing electricity but somehow distorted in a weird way. These noises were also coming from the back of the house. Connor got up and went to his doorway and peered out into the hallway to see if he could detect any disturbances. From the window of his open parents' room, he could see a source of light from the back yard casting shadows on the room. Curiosity and concern now filled Connor and he decided to investigate the strange lights.

“What the hell is going on back there? Are the neighbors doing some kind of mad experiment? The flux capacitor, maybe?”

Connor reached the bottom of the stairs and look into the dining room where the sliding glass door lead to the back patio and the back yard. What perturbed him was that he could see arcs of electricity sparking this way and that. The thought of a fire hazard did come to his mind, but that was the least of his concerns now. What ever was happening was forming an epicenter near the middle of the lawn.

Connor decided to brave the unknown and head into the backyard through the sliding glass door. Finally the epicenter of whatever it was began expanding into an oval disc shape on its edge like a mirror. This mirror was white and had a swirling purple pattern in it. Or it was a purple mirror with a swirling white pattern; take your pick.

The mirror was starting to shimmer and Connor got a the impending sense something was coming and he braced himself. He didn’t know if what ever might come through was hostile or not, but if it was, he was going to give it a run for its money. Suddenly a purple object came tumbling out of the mirror and crumpled in a heap before him.

Just as suddenly as this new thing appeared, the mirror (now classified as a portal of some sorts) closed and disappeared. With one strange anomaly gone, all Connor had left to deal with was the purple thing in front of him.

Author's Note:

A great builder once said, “to build a great house, you must first start with a great foundation.” so if there is anything to take from that quote, yes this chapter was mostly explanation and setup. But its kind of needed with the way I am writing this. I don’t want to waste too much time trying to 'show' what kind of person Connor is. But don’t worry there will be plenty of showing in the future. (I hope it comes off as showing). Now hold your horses, snort this isn’t a story that will spend all its time in the human world. We will be seeing plenty ponies in the pony world in the near future. Until then, on to the next chapter!!