• Published 31st Mar 2015
  • 2,112 Views, 362 Comments

Fools and Drunks - Jordan179



Spring 1505. Snips Fields and Snailsquirm Carrot do something a bit dangerous to celebrate Snails' sixteenth birthday. What could possibly go wrong?

  • ...
14
 362
 2,112

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 31: A Parley Before Battle

Zecora's bold challenge rang through the main square of Sunney Towne.

All eyes -- wraith, thrall and living -- were fixed on her tall, proud alien figure, wielding her mystic staff and flanked by the smaller but equally-determined figures of Apple Bloom and Ermine Lightning. Apple Bloom hefted a green-glowing potion at the ready; Ermine had a hunting knife drawn, the blade of which shimmered strangely. All three were clearly prepared to fight the undead.

Gittershell's attention was drawn to them like everypony else's; the only reason she realized what was happening was that her concern for Snips led her to immediately glance in his direction, to make sure that he was okay.

Snips was doing much better than okay. He had somehow slipped his bonds and was racing, his strong stubby legs pumping as fast as Glittershell had ever seen them move, propelling his plump powerful form rapidly past the thralls. He was making as directly as possible for Glittershell.

"Snipsy!" Glittershell cried out happily, then instantly realized her mistake, as her exclamation drew the attention of the surrounding Skeletal Guards. "Sorry," she gasped, half-expecting to see her best friend taken down before her horrified eyes.

"I'm a-comin," panted Snips in response, as the Guards turned and reached for him.

Whatever illusion Grey Hoof -- or the Curse -- had cast gave the Guards the semblance of life, but not the actual speed of the living. Their motions were still lurching and slow. The nimble young blue stallion easily dodged their clumsy swipes, and made his way to stand right before Glittershell.

Who was, of course, still tied onto the back of Sergeant Bravesword. The Guard leader drew his shortsword, obviously ready to use it. Glittershell noticed with dismay that Bravesword was neither slow nor clumsy; his motions were deadly and economical. He must have been terribly fast, in life.

"Sergeant Bravesword," Glittershell begged. "Please don't hurt him! He's my best pal!"

"Sorry, Miss," replied Bravesword, keeping his sword up, and his eyes fixed on Snips. "I have my duty." But he did not press the attack, instead remaining in guard and awaiting Snips' next move.

Snips also halted, clearly deterred by the menace implicit in the sergeant's bright, sharp blade.

They stood poised like that, neither side willing to open the attack. But the stalemate was uneven; Bravesword had the advantage of time, for the other Guards were now closing in on him. In a moment, Glittershell saw, Snips would be taken.

"How darest thou tell me what I shall or shall not do in MINE OWN TOWN?" demanded Grey Hoof. His voice was far louder than that of any natural Earth Pony, unaided by magic. It hurt Glittershell's ears, and was like a foul wind whipping through all their manes. Where that wind passed, reality rippled: the illusion was blown away; the denizens of Sunney Towne stood revealed in all their gruesome glory as a throng of the shambling undead.

"I stand as the servant of the Tree," answered Zecora, "I speak in the name of Harmony. I tell you this, and tell it true: their lives do not belong to you!"

Grey Hoof hissed in defiance.

Glittershell felt a brief, strange pang of regret at Bravesword's return to his original, and no doubt true present appearance. She had liked Bravesword, as he had looked alive: she felt a certainty that, had she known him living, they could have been friends. He was a hero, not a monster, then.

Then, a thought came to her.

Maybe he still is a hero, inside. Just like I'm a mare, inside. Maybe he just needs to be reminded.

"Bravesword," she said softly. "if they keep us, we'll die. I'll die. Would you have let that happen -- when you were alive?"

The horrific skull-face swivelled round to gaze at her. Was it Glittershell's imagination, or was that pain in his glowing eyes?

"Can't ... free you ..." Bravesword groaned. "Must ... orderrss ..." His voice was once again clotted by putrid undeath, but Glittershell could hear something else in him; some sort of struggle.

Bravesword was not letting her go, though. Gladstone's hold over the sergeant was plainly too strong.

But he was not keeping his eyes on Snips, either.

Snips clearly saw his chance. The short stocky stallion leaped past Bravesword's guard, swarming up the sergeant's side. For a moment his dark expressive eyes, under their bushy orange eyebrows, gazed directly into Glittershell's own.

Briefly, Glittershell wondered what her friend planned to do. He can't cut my ropes without a knife, she thought, and I don't see one ...

Snips' horn flared.

For a moment, Glittershell was dazzled by the light-purplish radiance; her own horn thrummed in resonance, a curiously intimate sensation. Glittershell was no expert on magic, beyond the telekinesis common to all Unicorns; but her horn felt the energies focusing.

The target was not Glittershell herself, but the ropes binding her. There was a sound rather like a great scissors snipping shut. Energy flared, and a force field sheared through the tough hempen fibers, as if the task were no more difficult than cutting a cord for a crafts project back at Cheerilee's school.

The ropes parted. Glittershell started to slide off, but before that could happen, Snips wrapped one foreleg around Glittershell and pulled her loose as he vaulted Sergeant Braveheart with his other three legs. They both went off the far side of the sergeant, Snips planting Glittershell hooves first on the ground.

They landed reasonably well. Pins and needles shot up Glittershell's hind legs and along her spine, but she was overjoyed to realize that everything still worked properly. Nothing was broken, as far as she could tell. Glittershell was not even slightly crippled.

"All right, Snipsy!" Glittershell cried in joy, as they sprang away from Sergeant Bravesword, making a beeline for Zecora, whose elegant tall form towered above those of the other Ponies, both living and undead.

As Glittershell ran, she spared a look back at Bravesword, who was waving his sword and shouting orders she could not quite make out. He seemed the very model of an undead sergeant, utterly loyal in the service of his Wraith, and yet -- he had all but let her go. She felt sure that Bravesword had on purpose held back against Snips, to give her friend the chance to free her. Her own romantic imagination thrilled to the thought that, across the lines of allegiance and even life, she had found a friend.

She hoped. She had no way of knowing for sure.

Nor could she spare the time to think about it, for the other Skeletal Guards -- who were most certainly not her friends -- were closing in, lurching toward and lunging for them, trying to keep them from reaching the relative safety of Zecora and her two companions. Snips darted under and past the groping half-skeletal forelegs; Glittershell danced nimbly past them, dodging and weaving away from the touch of the thralls.

"From the thralls, you must flee!" cried Zecora. "Come, young stallions, come to me!"

At the last, two Guards managed to stand together closely enough to block their path: Snips and Glittershell skidded to a stop, trying to find the best way through. Behind them, their fellow Guards advanced, Sergeant Bravesword in the center of the line. For a moment, it seemed as if they would be taken again, right in front of their would-be rescuers.

"Stay here, my dears," Zecora said to Apple Bloom and Ermine; then she leaped forward, her staff humming and trailing blue light as it cut through the air. Whack! Whack! The knobby, rune-carved head struck each Guard once on the neck, and from each strike came a small soundless blue-white explosion of light. The two Guards collapsed, their eye-lights fading to mere glimmers.

"Invaders!" roared Grey Hoof. "My writ runs here, not yours!" He reared full upright, hooves kicking at the empty air, mane flowing in a wind that suddenly whipped through the square. For a moment, Glittershell fancied she saw dead stars in that ebon flood of hair -- or were they winking, hateful yellow eyes?

The town gates slammed shut.

Trapping them all inside, with the undead.

The four living Ponies exchanged horrified looks.

Grey Hoof laughed uproariously.

"What," he asked, "do ye mean to leave so soon? Ye must not be so hasty: I have here my feast all laid out for ye. Would ye scorn my hosting?"

Snips and Glittershell, now amongst friends, instinctively formed a semi-circular line, Zecora taking point in the center, and the flanks curled against the pallisade of Sunney Towne: Snips and Glittershell to the left, and Ermine and Apple Bloom to the right.

"Dear friends, you must not dismay," Zecora said softly. "Still more help is on the way."

That relieved some of Glittershell's fear. When Zecora had first appeared at Ponyville, some five years ago -- soon after Luna's return -- she and Snips had found her to be mysterious and frightening. But Glittershell, along with most of the town, soon saw that Zecora was good; some sort of guardian protecting both the Everfree, and the Ponies around it from what dangers might lie within.

It suddenly occurred to Glittershell that one of those dangers against which Zecora had been protecting them were the denizens of Sunney Towne.

"We shouldn't have moved your charms," Glittershell blurted to Zecora. "We let them come out."

Zecora flashed her a briefly annoyed look.

"'Twas folly true, do think you?" she asked sarcastically.

Glittershell cringed.

Zecora's expression softened.

"Though to do so was a shame," she said more gently, "You were not the one to blame."

"Yeah," said Snips encouragingly. "It was more like, destiny."

Zecora glared at the stocky stallion.

"'Twas you who brought this harm," Zecora told Snips. "'Twas you who broke my charm."

"Ulp!" said Snips. "Um, sorry?"

"Apology, I accept. Do nothing else inept."

"Yes, Ma'am!" replied Snips. "I won't let you down!"

Zecora looked at him a bit dubiously, but was silent. Instead, she reached into a sidebag, and pulled out two necklaces. They looke vaguely like the charms Snips and Glittershell had seen hung on the Sunney Towne road sign.

"Wear these potent charms," Zecora said, giving each of them one of the necklaces, "and you'll be at much less risk of harm."

Glittershell donned the necklace, noticing at she did so that Apple Bloom and Ermine Lightning already wore similar necklaces. As she put on the necklace, she felt a strange sensation, and her view of her undead foes seemed somehow sharpened.

"We're more real to each other now," explained Apple Bloom, "but they could already hurt us. Now, we can hurt them back."

Glittershell only half-understood, but she nodded. Bloomie and Zecora were both really smart. If they thought the necklaces were a good idea, so did she herself.

Meanwhile, Sergeant Bravesword was shaking his Guards out into a line opposing them, out of striking reach of Zecora's staff. Two of his Ponies had already pulled back the two Zecora had downed. As Glittershell watched, Three Leaf drifted forward toward the fallen.

"This fight, true folly be!" Zecora cried out to Three Leaf. "Tell your love to set us free!"

The green Wraith looked at Zecora nervously.

"I am but a healer," she replied. "I do not lead."

"If his love be true," Zecora pointed out, "he will pay heed to you."

Three Leaf drifted slightly forward of her line.

Apple Bloom and Ermine tensed.

"Nah," said Glittershell reassuringly. "She's a good Pony. She won't hurt us." She felt very sure of this.

Zecora stepped forward slightly. She held her staff at ease, but none who had seen her wield it before could doubt her speed and prowess. The threat was clear.

Three Leaf looked at Zecora intently. "Not when he be like this," she said in a very low tone -- Glittershell had to strain to make out her words, they were almost a whisper on the wind. "It is as if he turns into a whole other Pony. Or something not a Pony -- and I mean not a Wraith, but something far feller." Three Leaf looked frightened. "He becomes cruel."

Zecora leaned in. "You say he's different in his soul?" she asked. "That something else has gained control?"

Three Leaf nodded. "It has been such since the night of the Party, the night we died," she said. "He will for a long time be his old self -- but when we must do hard things, he may waver in his intentions, contemplate kindness -- and then, he does change, and become completely cold. Cruel. Beyond all appeal to mercy -- and, trust me, we have tried." She sighed. "I am sorry. He will not relent."

"You know some; you know not all," began Zecora. "Grey Hoof is a Shadow's --"

"Three Leaf!" roared Grey Hoof. "Come back from them! I will not have thee harm-ed!"

"I must go," said Three Leaf, ears drooping. Then, very swiftly and softly. "I hope ye all win free!"

Zecora might have made reply, but Three Leaf suddenly darted away, like a leaf wafting through the air in a strong wind.

Her kind presence was gone. There was now nothing between the living Ponies and the line of thralls.

Gladstone drifted forward, to float above his line of Skeletal Guards. He smiled sardonically at Zecora. "Hail, and ill met, Zecora," he said.

"Save your mocking, and your hate," replied Zecora coolly. "While you still can, open now your gate." Her blue-glowing staff hummed softly in time with her words.

"You, and those of your Harmonic Order, have pent us up in here o'erlong, Zebrican witch," he said to her, sneering. "Beyond the Mist, your power may prevail. But within these walls, mine -- and that of my father -- reign supreme. Ye now are all upon mine own chosen field."

He glared at Snips and Glittershell, and despite herself Glittershell shrank before his terrible gaze. She remembered all the unthinkably vile things he had said to her, the even more vile things he wanted to do to her, the unendurable violation of his mere touch. It was hard to be brave before such perversity and hate.

"I will have thee yet, little maiden," he told Glittershell. "Thee, and the other mares who have come in vain hope of rescuing thee, shall be but my hoofmaidens ... my toys." He leered first at Ermine Lightning, then at Apple Bloom.

Ermine hissed at him like the weasel she resembled, a wordless warning, full of pure menace. She beckoned him with her left forehoof, held her blade ready to fight in the right one. Looking at her, Glittershell could see absolutely no sign that she was in any way bluffing.

Gladstone blinked at her fury, then laughed. "Thou'rt but a beast. Slaying thee is surely no sin. After that, thou shalt be my hunting-ferret."

"Trrry ... mmme ..." said Ermine, forcing each word out with extreme difficulty, "Monnnster."

Her voice was thickened with a strange sort of fury that Glittershell had never seen in anypony before. Compared to it, the hostility that Ermine had shown Snips the evening before, when she had drawn that selfsame blade at him, was but gentle chiding. Glittershell noticed that Ermine's eyes were becoming bloodshot.

"What she said," added Apple Bloom calmly, hefting one of her potions. "Ah got outta yore town afore. Ah'm fine with a rematch."

"Dost thou not know ..." began Gladstone.

"Ah know yore a pervert," stated Apple Bloom. There was absolutely no fear in her voice, something Glittershell found incredible in their situation. Her accent was thicker than usual. "And a braggart, an' bully. And Ah know braggarts an' bullies offen ain't all they say they are." She paused, then added. "An' Ah think, deep down ... yore a coward."

Gladstone roared in fury, and his face changed, becoming a burned, rotting skeletal horror. Black lightning played about his outline. His visage was truly terrible.

Before this fury Zecora stood firm, and on her right side so stood Apple Bloom and Ermine. Glittershell saw a momentary flicker of fear in the face of Snips, and she herself felt her heart skip a beat. Then, it was as if a wave of warmth washed out from Zecora, and Glittershell felt her fear flee, and she realized that everything Apple Bloom had said was entirely true. Gladstone was like a mean little colt who stepped on worms but groveled before the bigger colts; all he had that the mean little colt lacked was sheer power. And Zecora had power of her own.

Gladstone could hurt her, she could not deny that. But, unless she chose to submit to him, he could not be her master. She did not have to respect him, and there was nothing in him that she found respectable.

She would stand, with Zecora and Apple Bloom and Ermine, who had after all chosen to risk their lives for her. And with Snips. Always with Snips, against any odds.

When Gladstone saw that his wrath had failed to move them, there was only one thing he could do. And he did it.

"Attack!" he howled at Bravesword. "Attack! Attack!"

It was a direct order.

Bravesword pointed with his weapon.

Step by slow slogging step, the line of Skeletal Guards advanced upon the five living equines.

The battle between life and death had begun.

PreviousChapters Next