• Published 21st Mar 2015
  • 2,827 Views, 716 Comments

Courts of The Magi - Airstream



With the shadows gathering, it falls to unlikely heroes to prepare themselves for the most terrible of conflicts.

  • ...
12
 716
 2,827

Nglacadh

“Do you believe the attack was meant for the captain?” Lady Everstar asked, her voice fuzzed slightly through the mirror. That was no surprise, the range and the security spells would do that to even the finest mirrors, and Libra’s was very small indeed. “Or was it meant for somepony else?”

Libra shifted slightly in her seat. “I fail to see how it could have been for anypony else,” she said thoughtfully. “I’ve experienced no ill effects, and it was the captain’s drink that appeared to have been tampered with. And if it was an attack made by somepony here at the Manor, it clearly wasn’t made for Serale.”

“Perhaps it was a retaliation,” Lady Everstar mused. “The Dawn Guard lost a captain of their own, and so we had to pay a price to keep things even.”

“The thought had occurred to me,” Libra replied. “But if that was the case, it’s a damned odd way to do it. This doesn’t feel like an honor killing. It feels like a very successful assassination attempt. Not to mention Cadance’s Court is filled with Clerics. They’re not exactly known for having much in the way of offensive magic.”

Everstar’s eyebrows raised ever so slightly. “That’s hubris,” she said. “Clerics can hurt just as easily as they heal. You know better than that.” Her voice shifted in timbre ever so slightly. “Unless you have a suspect in mind already?”

Libra hesitated. It was much too early to give anything to her Lady. A wrongful accusation could have consequences just as deadly as any spell if she wasn’t careful. “I...I’m not sure,” she said hesitantly. “When he died, Fidelis and I were discussing the identity of our mole. He seemed to think, and I happen to agree, that the mole was definitely one of our mages.”

“Which would explain the manner of his death,” Everstar replied. “Unless you know of a poison that results in the body turning into a rosebush?”

Libra raised a hoof to her chin, tapping gently. “There is another possibility, my Lady,” she said, her ears twitching in thought. “It is possible that whomever is responsible for the death of Fidelis wasn’t aware that he was a Changeling. I know there were only a few ponies who were privy to that information before the attack. Now that he’s dead, well…”

Lady Everstar winced. “Is Cadance upset?”

“Livid, last I heard,” Libra replied sheepishly. “I did make an effort to keep her away from the body, but a murder did take place in her Court, and word was bound to get to her at some point. I’ve already sealed off the room where Fidelis is. Nopony has been in there since the incident, myself included. I’ve posted guards...but that’s getting ahead of myself. I’d like permission to perform an autopsy on Fidelis at the earliest opportunity.”

“I’ll run that by Feldspar,” Lady Everstar replied. “You’ve placed a stasis spell on the room?”

“Naturally. Once I’ve gotten my notes, I’ll be able to repair some of the damage and send him back home for a proper burial. Medicine has never been my strong suit, Milady. Would you mind terribly if I brought in a Cleric I could trust to provide a second opinion?”

Lady Everstar looked at her in surprise. “That’s a stance I wouldn’t have thought you’d take,” she replied. “You usually hate working with Clerics. For good reason, but still…”

“Whomever is responsible for this atrocity killed Fidelis right under my nose, using unfamiliar magic,” Libra replied. “It could have been a curse, or a poison or a potion. It could even have been a talisman of some sort. I won’t know for sure until I can perform a detailed autopsy and find everything I can. I’d need a second pair of eyes anyway, and a trained medical mind is just the ticket. I can put aside my...distaste...for the Clerical disciplines for the time being.”

“Then I won’t stop you,” Lady Everstar replied. “But wait to perform the autopsy until Queen Feldspar gives her permission. I don’t anticipate a problem, but still…”

“It’s best to be diplomatic,” Libra finished. “Speaking of, I’ve heard some interesting rumors from Equestria proper. They’ve put out a call for volunteers to bolster their ranks. Should I be concerned?”

“Harmless flexing,” Lady Everstar said dismissively. “A response to my shaking up the services back here in the Kingdom.”

“Which is making you very popular with the rank and file,” Libra pointed out. “I hope you know what you’re doing. Tradition is a powerful thing.”

Everstar shrugged, blowing a lock of black hair out of her eye. “They’ll get over it once we’ve consolidated the command structures,” she said. “Which reminds me. As cold-hearted as it seems, I need you to tap a replacement for Fidelis as a commander.”

“Me?” Libra asked, taken aback. “I’m hardly the pony to be making that call. If it’s anypony, it should be Serale.”

“Who is currently so far north as to be almost funny, and is unlikely to be back anytime soon,” Lady Everstar countered. “And I expect you to properly discipline her when she returns. Mucking about with advanced magic, honestly!”

“She takes after her mother,” Libra pointed out. “You needn’t fret, Milady. She’ll be punished properly when she gets back.”

Lady Everstar nodded. It wasn’t uncommon for Libra to act as a surrogate mother to Serale, seeing as her liege was often preoccupied with running a country. There existed an understanding between the two mares. While in the Regia, Libra was a servant of the Crown like anypony else, and was deferent as such. She would address Serale as “Lady” or “Miss”, obey her commands, and generally act the part of the court mage, a powerful position in her own right, but still one below the filly of royal blood. But when away, she guarded Serale like she was her own child, and spoke with the authority of Lady Everstar when it came to matters of discipline and mothering.

“I was thinking of putting Afi Refrsson in place, at least temporarily,” Libra said after a pause. “He’s certainly got the experience and competency. If not for your personal appointment of Fidelis, I rather suspect he’d be the one in charge of Serale’s guards.”

Lady Everstar’s nose wrinkled briefly in surprise. “Libra,” she said, “I trust your judgement, but...why?”

“Lady Kore’s too young and impetuous, Ahan the Gryphon isn’t a pony, so ponies will be more reluctant to follow him, Vino’s gone. Afi, as I’ve pointed out, has an extensive and storied record of service, is well-liked among the rankers, and is the only member of the Guard aside from Fidelis with actual experience leading ponies in combat. Granted, he’s a bit long in the tooth and sort of...unorthodox?”

“That’s a kind way of putting it,” Lady Everstar snorted. “I’d be surprised if he took the position. He’s a legend in the Rangers for bucking any kind of authority.”

“But he’s probably the most experienced member of the entire Guard when it comes to matters of security and combat,” Libra argued. “And from what I’ve heard, that’s a quality Lady Serale desperately needs in her captain. And yes, he’s rough around the edges, but we don’t need a captain of the guard for ceremonial purposes. That’s why we have mages and Lady Serale’s legendary diplomacy.”

“Serale’s ‘legendary diplomacy’ is one of the many reasons I’m worried about Afi’s lack of finesse. Especially once the weather turns and she’s sent to Canterlot. You know how much of a stickler an Equestrian bureaucrat can be.”

“And they’d find something wrong with Serale even if she were the greatest peacemaker of her age,” Libra pointed out reasonably. “Milady, the purpose of Serale’s guard is to keep her safe from attacks on her person. They were never meant to provide her with diplomatic armor. If we want them to do their jobs correctly, Afi Refrsson is our best bet.”

Lady Everstar was silent.

“Please, my Lady,” Libra wheedled. “You said you trusted my judgement, so trust it in this. IF Lady Serale feels Afi is the wrong fit, she can simply dismiss him from captaincy when she returns. I’m sure he wouldn’t mind.”

The silence stretched even longer.

“It was you who said that those most suited to positions of power were those who avoided them,” Libra pointed out. “I considered your words when I made the choice. Afi’s really the best fit.”

Everstar sighed, the purple of her face flushing slightly as she did so. “Very well, Libra,” she said. “Let Afi know he’s got commander’s stripes to put on his dress coat.”

“I’ll do so immediately, milady,” Libra said. “There’s a mourning dinner tonight, both for Captain Brightsteel and for Captain Fidelis. Formal attire. He’ll need to make a strong showing.” She frowned. “Is there something wrong, milady?”

Lady Everstar, appearing lost in thought, shook herself, coming back to. “It’s nothing, Libra,” she said. “The duel, the attack, the assassination and everything else...it’s starting to remind me of an old feeling, one I haven’t felt in a long time. Somepony is pulling the strings around me, and I don’t know who or why. I haven’t felt a feeling like this since Celestia.”

“But this time you’ve got an army at your back and more magic than you know what to do with,” Libra offered. “Mages at your beck and call, and the power of the Aether itself to aid you.”

“And a daughter,” Lady Everstar replied. “A daughter I care very much about. With a child, I have found you are never truly free. There are certain of my subjects I have reminded of that fact, lately. When you’re far enough removed from it all, when you start pulling strings that shake cities and move mountains, ponies start to look more like pieces on a board, and less like, well…”

“Ponies,” Libra finished. “You’re not having doubts, my Lady?”

“No, no,” Lady Everstar said brusquely. “Merely idle worrying. Or perhaps not so idle. Serale is in danger, and I’m worrying.”

“That’s perfectly natural,” Libra said quietly.

“It’s also perfectly useless. I should be doing something, not sitting in my castle and moaning about how my daughter’s disappearance is affecting me personally. When something bad happens, I’m supposed to act, not react.”

Memento mori”, Libra replied.

Lady Everstar blinked. “Pardon?”

Memento mori,” Libra said again. “With respect, mistress, you’re still a mortal. A very powerful one, perhaps. But still mortal. And we mortals aren’t meant to be everywhere at every time. It’s one of the few bits of Old Classical that made it into the modern lexicon, it means…”

“Either ‘remember you must die’, or ‘remember that you are mortal’, yes,” Lady Everstar said. “I suppose you’re right.”

“Regardless of the translation, the message remains the same. My Lady, you’ve accomplished amazing things. But you’re not perfect. None of us, not even the goddesses, are. You have done all you can for now. All that remains is to wait.”

There was a chime from somewhere far away. Libra straightened up from her chair, which faced away from the door to her quarters. Around it was a small circlet inlaid with dozens of tiny runes, a bubble to shield her from sight and sound, but it came at the cost of some of her perception of things outside of her circle.

“That’s my signal, my Lady,” Libra said. “Is there anything else you needed of me?”

Twilight sighed. “No,” she replied with a wave of her hoof. “Go on, Libra. Keep things running as smoothly as you can.”

“As you command, Lady Everstar,” Libra replied. “And, my Lady...for what it’s worth, I’m worried too.”

Twilight said nothing, merely nodded. The mirror went blank, and Libra stepped outside of her circle just in time to catch a polite knock at her door.

“Magus Libra?” A young tenor called from outside the door. “It’s Private Moon. You asked me to come and get you at the third bell, ma’am.”

Libra took a deep breath, stowing the mirror in her desk, which she locked as she stepped towards the door. “One moment!”, she called, sounding much more confident than she felt.


Dinner that night was of a higher quality than normal, which was saying something, but the normally cheerful air that filled the dining hall at nights was muted and far away. Also contributing to the somewhat formal atmosphere was the fact that every pony present was wearing their dress uniforms, sixty in the blue and sixty in the purple. Taken as a whole, it was a rather grim affair.

Conversations were muted, and glances were made across the hall towards groups from one camp or the other. The hostile atmosphere was absolutely understandable. Two captains were dead, one still cooling in a vault below the old tower. And while neither side was directly responsible for the death of the other’s leader, someone was responsible for both deaths, and the topic of who to blame was a popular one.

Libra tugged at the collar of her formal robes, looking out at the segregated room from her seat at the high table. She was seated one chair away from the Princess herself, but that one chair was, strangely enough, empty. Perhaps it was a measure of respect for a fallen comrade? Either way, it made her feel almost as uncomfortable as the eerie almost-silence that hung over the great hall.

That silence was, thankfully, broken a moment later, as the last bits of food were cleaned from plates. Cadance stood from her seat, her horn glowing as each and every cup refilled itself, and every eye on the hall was on her as she, clad in the dark blue of mourning, spoke.

“Captain Brightsteel was a brave and noble pony. That is, perhaps, what lead to his death. Those of you who served with him will remember his pride, in himself and those he led. To be captain of such fine ponies made him the happiest of stallions, and I will remember him fondly as one of my most gallant of Guards, never shrinking from a challenge, always seeking perfection in himself and encouraging others to do the same, in his own way.”

She lifted her glass. “He left us too soon, but he died doing that which he loved most, defending the honor of this Court and of the Guard he cared for so dearly. He died with his sword at the ready and a brave cry in his heart. He left us in his prime, not a feeble invalid in a soft bed, but in honorable combat. So I offer this toast, to Captain Brightsteel. Captain, friend, leader, warrior, and father.”

Every pony in the hall, the Evening Guards included, stood as one with their glasses raised. “Captain Brightsteel,” they chorused. There was a silence as some drank deeply, some sipped, and some drained their glasses dry.

There was an expectant silence, and gradually, the ponies in the hall sat back down, cups refilling on their own as they did so. All sat, except for one. Afi Refrsson, beard braided and freshly combed, stood alone, his eyes sweeping fearlessly across the hall while he searched for words that, eventually, he found.

“I’m not one for fancy speech,” he said. “Never had the tongue for oration, I suppose. But I’ll tell you what I knew of Fidelis, for he was never really my superior, or anypony’s. He was a friend. And he was also more than he appeared to be.”

Libra’s breath caught in her throat as she realized Afi might be about to remind everypony in the hall that Fidelis had been the creature Cadance hated most in this world. She snuck a look at the rose-colored Alicorn, who watched Afi impassively.

“Fidelis lived up to his name, for he was faithful to the bitter end. You who wear our Lady’s purple know the stories as well as I do. Hero, soldier, spy and leader at one time or another. He was never a father, but left behind brothers and sisters beyond counting. He was loyal to his Lady, more than even the most fanatical of us, but for all that he was practical. A thinker who was never afraid to act. A warrior who knew when to speak of peace. Sure, he lead us all, but he knew us better than most, knew us like brothers-in-arms.”

Afi raised his glass. “So here’s to Fidelis. He didn’t die well, but he left behind a legacy of integrity and duty that we should all meet. Here’s to Fidelis, who went to eternity with honor. Here’s to Fidelis, the best pony,” here he emphasized the word, “I’d ever care to know. Let’s do the old man proud.”

The soldiers in purple leapt to their hooves, glasses in hoof, and it was a scant moment later that the soldiers in blue followed suit, though Cadance stayed seated as all present drained their glasses dry. Libra suppressed a smirk as she sat back down. Afi had danced right on the edge of insult, pointing out that even though Fidelis might have been a “despicable” Changeling, he was still a damn good soldier, and daring the Princess to say otherwise.

Libra sighed in relief. The mood, though still reserved, was much more open and friendly now. There were even a few cross-table conversations springing up here and there. It was about time something went right today.

“Fidelis sounds like he was a good soldier,” Cadance remarked to her nonchalantly.

Libra took a heavy swig of her wine. “As good as I’ve seen in a decade, at least,” she said. “It’s a shame to see him go. I’d actually wanted to speak to you about the circumstances surrounding his demise.”

“You were there, weren’t you?” Cadance asked. She didn’t wait for Libra to answer. “I can feel it, you know. The shock. The way you try to numb it with work and problems you can solve. You and your Lady share that.”

Libra nodded noncommittally. “It’s a coping mechanism, but one that needs to be used for now,” she said. “There’s work to be done. I have a murderer to catch.”

“And you’ll have the full cooperation of my Court,” Cadance replied easily. “But you pass word to your Lady that the next time she send a Changeling into my lands unannounced, and I find out, there won’t be any need for an investigation. I’ll deliver the parts myself. Is that clear?”

“As crystal,” Libra replied, pushing the sudden spike of fear down, for all the good it did her. “I’ll have need of one of your Clerics, one with medical experience.”

Cadance nodded. “For the autopsy.” It wasn’t a question. “I’ll send somepony,” she said, as she played idly with her knife, cutting apart the last of her ratatouille.

There was an awkward pause. “The empty chair is a nice custom,” Libra said. “I’ve never heard of setting a place for the deceased.”

Cadance looked at her strangely, and then a crooked grin spread across her face. “Well,” she said, “I might be able to see how’d you mistake it for such a custom. But...oh, well. I was planning on doing this at the end of the meal, but I just can’t wait to see the look on your faces.”

Once more, she rose from her place at the table, and once more, the hall fell silent.

“Some of you might have noticed the empty place at my side tonight,” Cadance said, sounding almost haughty. “And some of you may have thought if for Captain Brightsteel. But that is not our way. It is, in fact, a space for a guest we have not yet welcomed into our hall.”

Her wings spread wide as she continued. “In all things, there is a cycle, and all remains in balance. Today, my household has lost a valued member. Captain Brightsteel will be sorely missed, and I will remember his name always. What follows is in no way meant to disrespect his memory.”

There was a sound from the front of the hall, and the doors opened wide, revealing a figure standing there, clad in the blue of Cadance’s house, her mane, normally a frizzy red, done up in an elegant bun. Slender, but not skinny, and possessed on an otherworldly beauty, she began to stride down the aisle towards the high table, leaving the scent of apples and pine behind her as she did. Her ears, bat-pointed, were adorned with studs of silver, emblazoned with hearts of flawless diamonds, and her lovely legs, cream-white, were similarly adorned with bands of silver in the shape of curling vines.

“May I formally present for the first time in my Court Her Highness, Leanan mac Baobhan mac Niamh du Feinan, of the Grove of Silver Apples,” Cadance proclaimed as the young mare ascended the steps, taking her seat at Cadance’s side. “And as of today, my adopted daughter, privy to my lands and titles, and all privileges and responsibilities thereby.”

There was a shocked silence, which the young...thing...for it was clear to all that she was no pony, waited politely. Finally, there was a tap on the floor, the sound of hoof on stone. It was soon followed by another, and then another, and within a moment, the entire hall was applauding loudly, as the young thing wearing the guise of a pony smiled and curtseyed, and Libra realized that she might just have another suspect in the murder of Fidelis.

Author's Note: