• Published 21st Mar 2015
  • 2,826 Views, 716 Comments

Courts of The Magi - Airstream



With the shadows gathering, it falls to unlikely heroes to prepare themselves for the most terrible of conflicts.

  • ...
12
 716
 2,826

Gealltanas

The towering peaks of Equestria's vaunted Northern March were mighty, but Invictus was mightier still. From his lofty vantage point, even the tallest peaks seemed to be little more than mounds of sand, rising from above the great white blanket of clouds like barren islands in an endless sea. His muscles ached and his wings burned with effort, protesting with every beat, but Invictus still rose higher, buoyed for a brief moment on a heady thermal, one of the few columns of warm air that remained at this altitude.

Determined to get as much as possible from the rising winds, he exerted himself yet again, feeling his wings snap and stretch as they clawed for altitude. A strong wind buffeted him to the east, taking him from his warm air, but he knew better than to fight against it, and merely continued rising upward, ever higher and ever more distant from the ground below. Invictus could feel himself reaching his limits even as he admired the curve of the earth below him. On clear days, he felt as if he could almost see the Forest he had been taken from, a greenish smudge on the edge of the horizon, separated by endless plains, but he knew that even his great heights could not afford him such a view.

His chest labored as he struggled for breath. Most pegasi never made it this far up, and few, if any, remained even remotely close to this altitude for long. The sky was a hostile and fierce thing at this height, the air too thin for most to breathe and most wings to beat against. The winds here howled and roared like beasts as they tried to seize him, to dash Invictus far and away fast enough that he would lose control of his wings and be lost to the endless abyss of the blue. Soon, he would be able to go no further, the air too thin for even him. He could hold his breath, he knew, for five minutes or more if he needed to, but it would do him little good.

It would also be unnecessary. The clouds below, the deep blue-gray color of uncertain pre-dawn, suddenly blazed with light beneath him, and Invictus knew he was not far off. The dawn he saw would not arrive at the Bower for perhaps half an hour yet, but for now, the pegasus allowed himself the luxury of letting his wings rest, and, merely hovering in place, observed the unrivaled majesty of a sunrise from far above the surface of the earth.

Invictus breathed a sigh of contentment as he watched the great orb rise from the horizon, and reflected on what such a sight meant to him. He was told that he was the tool of a sun goddess, a great and powerful empress named Celestia., but for some reason, whenever he tried to imagine what such a creature might look like, he could not call to mind a single detail. He supposed it was the handiwork of his old mistress that kept him in such a state, but he found that he didn't mind overmuch. He had other things to worry about.

The chiefest of these, he realized, had just woken from her fitful slumber, and was now beginning her morning routine. Invictus approved of what the Magus was doing to Cobblestone. The young unicorn hadn't the slightest idea what she was part of, and so she would need to be at the peak of readiness for whatever came, though it pained him to see Cobblestone up so late into the night, laboring over unfamiliar passages and unwieldy concepts. The young Lady still helped her with her work, but they often remained up past midnight, and rose well before the dawn.

Invictus felt his awareness of Cobblestone shift slightly, and knew she was in the main yard of the Bower, ready for her morning run. He didn't always go flying in the mornings, but he had today, and Invictus knew in his bones that if he hurried, he might be finished with his own exercises in time to watch her practice with the sword come noon.

Without warning, the powerful wings of the pegasus folded neatly to his sides, and with a beginning whisper of air that soon grew into a mighty roar, the Sunborn stallion began to hurdle towards the ground. Invictus closed his eyes entirely, the great golden orbs would do him no good here. The tips of his wings felt the currents of wind sweeping by him, what they spoke of, and adjusted his path accordingly. Here was a crosswind that would dash him against the peaks of the mountains below, there was another thermal, to buffet him back up and carry away his momentum, but he was the master of his patch of sky, not they.

Faster and faster he plummeted, and Invictus felt the speed of his passage began to heat his coat, the friction a serious problem for lesser fliers, and a danger to any who would fall at such a speed. But he was a Sunborn, and light and heat were his bailiwick. A thin trail of smoke streamed behind him, and there was an almighty bang, a great crash of sound that was swiftly left behind, lost to the mighty sky.

It wouldn't be far now. His wingtips told him of more rough winds, the chaotic jumble of air that was the hallmark of the lower altitudes, and he felt the first wisps of cloud wash against his face, signaling that he was close to the ground. For another handful of moments more, Invictus plummeted ground-ward like a falling star, punching into the cloud with enough force to blast some of the heavy fog apart, leaving a hole a good deal wider than he was. There was the impression of wetness, a sudden heavy roar, and then it was time.

With a sharp crack, Invictus flared his wings out at an oblique angle, feeling the combination of wind and speed tearing at the appendages as if to chastise him for daring to flaunt gravity in such a way. But he merely gritted his teeth, kept his wings level, and, slowing, he made a simple adjustment as he opened his eyes.

The valley leading to the Manor of the Dawn Court was not especially wide, nor was it narrow, but it was long. Invictus entered the head of the valley at a high rate of speed, the barren fields below passing by as flashes of white broken by the occasional brown streak of a road or smear of a village. He had no need to flap his wings, nor should he have, for the momentum carrying him was great enough to send him skimming across the air like a kite.

Invictus angled his wings up, reveling in the feeling of the wind in his mane as his course changed, gaining altitude once more as his speed bled off at a much-improved rate, carrying him up at the same rate as the land below him rose, and then a bit faster as he adjusted. Finally, he pumped his wings, once, twice, and then flared them. At last, he rose above the Bower as a silent, hovering figure in the darkness, having left even the sun behind as he fell. By his estimation, he had beaten it here by perhaps a quarter-hour.

Below him, visible to his eyes and nopony else's, were two unicorns, running in the dark at a healthy pace. They had run the same circuit near every day for a little less than a month, and Invictus took pride in the fact that while they were both improving, Cobblestone was still far more athletic.

A cold wind brushed against his coat, and he noticed idly that the sweat and cloud-stuff which had dampened his coat was cooling him much faster than it should. He would need to warm himself soon, and he knew just how to do it.


The baths of the Bower were the site of many an illicit affair, political happenstance, and personal discovery, but even with their reputation for skullduggery, few if any of them were in use at this ungodly hour. The only other ponies in the bathhouse besides Invictus were a trio of guards, blue tabards folded neatly to one side as they enjoyed a reprieve from their duties. In time, others from their shift would undoubtedly begin to trickle in, but by the time they arrived, Invictus would be gone.

The leader of this trio, convinced that Invictus was far enough away to avoid being overheard, commented on how freakishly large the pegasus was, and speculated as to which poor mare had to “tame that beast”. His compatriots chuckled quietly at the barb, and offered their own opinions, equally as harsh. Invictus said nothing, and gave no sign that he had heard, merely sinking lower into the hot water of the bath as he relaxed each group of muscles individually.

He had grown accustomed to such remarks in his time here. Try as he might to avoid ponies, he could not avoid everypony forever, and so word of him had spread throughout the Bower, the story of the freakish warrior from a time long-past. The soldier without an army and the champion without a cause. Invictus simply let the stories spread. It would do him no good to speak against them, and he knew without a doubt that those who spoke of him in such mocking tones did so because they feared him.

That, perhaps, was what bothered him most. Oh, ponies did try to hide it from him, but he could see it in their eyes, in the way they held themselves and their smiles, just a bit too wide. Their eyes moved just a bit too much, they smelled ever so slightly of sweat. In quiet rooms, such as this, he could hear the faintest beating of their hearts, a bit quicker when he was noticed. Invictus was a weapon of death and retribution, and instinctively, ponies knew it.

Everypony, of course, except for Cobblestone, he reflected as he lifted himself from the bath. He didn't bother drying himself, as the heat from his body, stoked to new heights by the warmth of the bath, would burn away the water in a matter of minutes. Cobblestone knew that she had nothing to fear from him, that he would rather die than let harm come to her, though she didn't know why, exactly. Nor did he understand precisely why he felt this way about her, other than he was simply made to do so. It was as natural as drawing breath or drinking water.

Thoughts of water came unbidden to his mind, and he decided that today, he would take a meal. It had been nearly a week since he had eaten last, and though he could go without food for much longer, soon his performance would begin to suffer because of it. He had no way of knowing how much of his current ability was the result of the sun goddess who had made him, and how much was the result of the Fae who had kept him, but he knew his limits intimately, and understood them to be far beyond those of normal ponies.

He crossed the courtyard quickly, noting as he did that the walls were overmanned, and that meant the changing of the Guard would be soon. Invictus ruffled his wings nervously. Normally he visited the kitchens in the dead of night, and never showed his face in the dining hall, but today it would seem he would have to at least be seen there.

For a pony as large as yourself, you seem awfully nervous, a familiar voice observed dryly, and Invictus looked down to see a large black cat padding along at his side. Don't tell me you're afraid of these worms.

“Begone, beastie,” Invictus rumbled. “I've no time for you.”

But you'll have food, which means you'll have time to eat. And I'm famished.

“Would that you ever were not,” he replied. They entered the hall together, and the smell of breakfast, hot and waiting, hit them both like a warm wave breaking on sand. “Claim your own meal. What I take is mine.”

And you should take what is yours without fear, Hob replied. It's not like anypony here is going to try and stop you. In fact, I heard some fascinating speculation among the maid staff regarding your skill with a...spear, shall we say?

Invictus said nothing, merely taking a platter from a nearby table and approaching the long trestle upon which was arranged good, hearty food. Without preamble, he began to load food onto his plate, not paying particular attention to what. “I have no intention to take a mate, and my bed is warm enough as it is,” he muttered angrily, just loud enough to be barely audible. “Let them wonder.”

Though a few tables were filled with guards and staff taking their meal, along with a few early-rising courtiers, there were many tables still empty, and it was one of these that Invictus chose, a small squarish affair with room for perhaps eight. He sat himself down, ignoring the looks and whispers, and began to eat.

Hob, he noted, had chosen to remain near the food table, and was attempting to cage scraps for himself with moderate success. The ponies of the Bower, unknowing of what lurked in their midst, had taken a liking to the creature they saw as a particularly presumptuous cat. Invictus chose to avoid him. There were few things which gave him pause, but Hob was among them. If not for the fact that he, too, appeared to be bound to the service of Cobblestone, Invictus would have done his best to kill him while he slept, though he was doubtful he would succeed.

This train of thought was broken rather suddenly when a mare sat down across the table from him. Invictus said nothing, merely observing her. A pegasus like himself, she was colored the blue of a spring sky, and this was only accentuated by the yellow in her mane. He had seen her in the training yard before, and though he could not see it now, he knew that on her flank was the silhouette of a wing against a bright sun.

“First time I've seen you around here,” she observed cheerfully, not paying much attention to her food.

Invictus put down his knife. “I do not eat much,” he replied. He took a mouthful of water and waited for her next move.

The pegasus mare nodded emphatically. “I've heard you Sunborn hardly ever need to eat,” she said. “Wish I could say the same, but flying really takes it out of you, you know? Name's Sunspot, by the way.”

“I am Invictus,” he replied. “Sworn to Cobblestone.”

Sunspot arched an eyebrow. “The kid who hangs around the Lady?” she asked. “The apprentice?”

Invictus nodded and said nothing. He resumed eating, hoping that would get the message across, but it appeared that the mare in front of him was determined to continue talking.

“So when you say 'sworn', does that mean, like, 'together'?” Sunspot asked. “I don't know how they do things in the Kingdom.”
Invictus fixed her with a flinty stare, and Sunspot seemed to wilt a tiny bit. He was surprised it had taken her this long, as he was twice her size at least. “I make no claim to her affections,” he said. “I am Bound in her service. I was a gift.”

Sunspot rallied herself and tried again, searching for an opening. “That's cool,” she replied nonchalantly. “The reason I ask is because I've got a few friends here who are interested in getting to know you a little better. I mean, the other Guards from the Kingdom are neat, but you seem like you're different.” She batted her eyes, half in jest. “I was planning on stretching my wings after this with a few other fliers from my watch,” she said. “Would you be interested in coming along?”

“I have already completed my preliminary flight exercises,” Invictus said rigidly. “After my meal here, I intend to begin weapons training. I would invite you to join me, but I do not think you would be able to withstand the strain.”

The pegasus flared her wings slightly, perhaps indicating anger or fear. “You think I can't keep up?” she asked. “I'm one of the best fighters on the night watch!”

Invictus set down his knife once more with a clang. Heads turned. “You are a child,” he said, “Playing at war and duty. I was bred to these. A true warrior would have finished her meal by now, and returned to her duties. You waste both my time and your own.”

There was a pregnant pause, and then Sunspot rose from her chair. “Jerk,” she spat, and walked away, leaving her food behind. Invictus merely pushed the platter to the end of the table to be picked up by the servants and continued his meal, the incident nothing more to him than another memory.

He ate mechanically. It seemed to him that food had once held more substance to him, that he had enjoyed eating more than he did now. But food was food, a means to an end. If he did not eat, he would die eventually, and so he continued to eat. Conversation was unnecessary, as was dawdling to savor his repast. The platter, piled high with potatoes, peppers, eggs, and tomatoes, diminished quickly, and it all almost tasted the same. Invictus had noted that spiced food held a bit more savor for him, but this was not the time to luxuriate with a cup of cider. He stood, placed his tray near the end of the table with machine-like precision, and left, ignoring the whispers that followed him.


The Bower had four courtyards, two of which were dedicated to pursuits marshal, one of which was for the reception of guests, and the last of which for the private use of the Princess Cadance. It was towards the smaller of the two drill yards that Invictus made his way. He had chosen this yard because it was both less-used, and because it contained a few small pockets in which one or two ponies could practice in relative peace, provided they didn't need much ground to move on.

When he chose to exercise, Invictus spent most of his time here, clad in armor and hammer at his side. His exercises began with two hours of lifting increasingly heavier objects, followed by basic drills and attack forms for another two hours. His morning so spent, he would return to the more advanced maneuvers in the afternoon, rushing and striking at a promontory of rock from the mountain with his hammer, wielding it constantly until he felt it become an extension of himself. This he would continue until well into the evening, until the sun had set for several hours.

At first, there had been spectators, but gradually, they had diminished, and he had his small corner of the courtyard to himself once more. A few veteran knights had offered him advice, but they had little of value to give him, and so they too, had faded away. And still he practiced, and still he sought perfection, in the whirling of hammer blows and the rush of steel against the rough side of the mountain.

Invictus was never the first one in the courtyard, but he had thought that he knew the faces there well, and so he was surprised to see a face that, while new, was not unknown to him. A young knight of the Kingdom stood off to one side, a practice dummy in front of him, striking at it with a blunted bladeband. Invictus took a moment to watch him while he attempted to place his name, noting that while his form was good, it was far from perfect, and he still had the unsure nature of the young and inexperienced about him.

Vino, Invictus realized as he watched him flick the blade up into a textbook fourth-position parry, was his name. A captain in the personal Guard of Serale Everstar. The youngest, and most untested of the captains. An earth pony of notable birth, though that meant nothing to the Sunborn, and a pony with definite potential.

“Interesting, isn't he?” a cheerful voice said from behind him, and Invictus turned his head halfheartedly to see who had spoken. Immediately, he sank to one knee and bowed his head before the Avatar of the Dawn, who regarded him with an amusement that bordered on the playfully predatory.

Princess Cadance gestured for him to rise, and he did so, meeting her gaze. Invictus realized that the alicorn in front of him was roughly his height, meaning he didn't have to look down on her, and she was not wearing any of the regalia that marked her as royalty, though it wasn't as if she needed it. Instead, she wore a simple bed-shift of fine white cloth, billowing gently in the breeze. Even now, with her hair down, she was still a very attractive pony by any standard, and though she was a goddess among mortals, she seemed approachable, even friendly.

Invictus immediately distrusted her.

“Youngest captain in a prestigious posting, from a long line of proud warriors,” she said, as if she hadn't even noticed his prostration. “And he apparently has serious potential, though I'm not inclined to martial pursuits.” She looked at him. “Though I've heard plenty of interesting rumors about you as well.”

Invictus flushed, saying nothing, and attempted to avert his gaze, though he was stopped when the Avatar reached out and placed one hoof under his chin, meeting his eyes with her own.

“It's strange,” she said quietly. “Celestia made you all, made you her best warriors, and in the end, you hardly mattered at all. I never even got to see you and your brothers and sisters march away from Canterlot. I wondered if I'd ever see your kind again.”

Invictus stared into her eyes unblinkingly, solid gold orbs meeting rosy-hued pupils. “Do I meet your expectations?” he inquired.

Cadance smiled at his cheek and released him. “You exceed them,” she said. “For such a noticeable pony, you're surprisingly hard to find. Though, I hadn't really wanted to meet you until recently. I had to ask one of my attendants where you were most likely to be found, and she told me it was likely to be here. I have a favor to ask of you.”

“I am Bound to Cobblestone of Starfall, companion of Serale Everstar,” Invictus replied. “I am afraid that I may not be able to comply with your request.”

The Avatar smiled at him, holding up a hoof in reassurance. “I assure you, this will not cause her any distress,” she promised. “In fact, I hope to prevent a good deal of it with your help.”

Invictus considered this. “What do you propose?” he asked.

Cadance indicated the young knight. “Yesterday, Captain Vino inadvertently challenged the captain of my Guard to a duel,” she said. “He did so nobly, honorably, and stupidly, unaware of who he was challenging. If I'm to understand, it was to defend a soldier of his who offended my captain. Captain Brightsteel is an incomparable duelist, and I'm lucky to have him as my Captain. But if he wins the duel, he will kill Vino Hedera, make no mistake.”

Invictus watched as the young knight attempted to “disarm” his opponent, noting that he was unlikely to succeed. “Unfortunate.”

“Doubly so,” Cadance said, “Because he's a favorite of my niece. Serale holds some affection for Vino, and would be considerably upset if he were to die. But I cannot recall my captain, and as Vino's the one who issued the challenge, he's the one who has to fight. I attempted to persuade Captain Brightsteel until very late last night, and despite my best efforts, he's set on fighting himself. He won't even nominate a second to fight the duel in his place.”

Invictus decided he had no interest in finding how how she had attempted to persuade the Captain.

“And it's a shame, honestly,” Cadance continued. “Cobblestone seems rather fond of him, too. They get along very well, actually. But you'd know that, being her champion.”

“I do not inquire into her personal affairs,” Invictus said. “It's her right to withhold what she wishes from me.”

Cadance sighed. “If Vino dies under my roof, I may lose the goodwill of my niece, and with it her mother. We could have war over this, unlikely though it may be. And if I were to forbid Captain Brightsteel from fighting, I would be violating my own laws. Which is where you come in.”

“I'll train the boy,” Invictus rumbled. “Don't bother with the enticements.”

Cadance blinked. “That's...both very charitable and very forward.”

The massive pegasus shrugged, fluttering his wings as he did so. “There is no good that can come of having him slaughtered like a lamb,” he said flatly. “I can teach him, though he may refuse me. If you guarantee that the Lady Serale will order him to accept instruction, I will do my part.”

“If you can give him a fighting chance,” Cadance said, “I'll make sure you're compensated for your time. I have healers here, the best Clerics in the world. They could try to restore your memories, return what you were to you.”

Invictus turned from Vino to regard her, and as he did so, noticed that she showed no fear of him. In fact, she seemed to be anticipating something. “No,” he said flatly. “I do not do this for you. I do not do this for the Lady, or the boy. I do this for Cobblestone.”

Cadance frowned. “Do you mean to say you don't want your memories back?” she asked, taken aback.

“I have no need of them,” Invictus replied. “I have my mistress, and my duties. They are enough.”

Without another word, he walked out into the courtyard, the goddess at his back now just another face in a crowd. Cadance watched him go, bemused. Frankly, she didn't know what to make of the strange Sunborn, nor was she sure what to do with him next.

I suggest leaving him alone, the black cat said as it leapt from the wall above her, landing at her hooves. Along with his ward.

Cadance looked at him, startled, and then with greater intensity. “Did you just speak to me?” she asked.

I did, he said, and he wrapped his tail about him as he sat and began to groom himself with one paw. Because you're the one in charge. And I think you'll listen to what I have to say.

Cadance, to her credit, hardly even blinked as she was confronted with a talking cat. “And what do you have to say?” she asked quietly.

I know you want to leverage the Lady, he said, And you think her friend is the best way to do so. You are correct in thinking so. But you will not attempt to manipulate Cobblestone in any way. You may be tempted to do so, as our mutual acquaintance isn't here to watch his prize, but you will not.

“Our mutual acquaintance? But who...” Cadance trailed off, her eyes suddenly narrowed. “You mean?”

I do. He currently has business in Starfall, but be assured that he's watching. And he set me to watch over Cobblestone in his stead. So again, I warn you. Attempt to hurt her, manipulate her, or use her in any way, and you had best hope that the Sunborn finds you first and takes you from the world.

“Or you'll what?” Cadance asked. “You dare to threaten me here?”

I was ancient when he and his sisters first walked Equestria, child, the cat said with a low growl. Its mouth opened a bit, revealing a few more sharp teeth than there should have been. Test not my patience nor my appetite. Know your place, and if you attempt to spread word of this conversation to any of your pet ponies, I will know where it came from.

With that, the cat rose, stalked away, and as Cadance watched it go, she felt the tingle of a deep and primal fear, and knew instinctively that she and her Court would be very lucky if Cobblestone and her “cat” went on their merry way and never, ever came back.