• Published 21st Mar 2015
  • 2,826 Views, 716 Comments

Courts of The Magi - Airstream



With the shadows gathering, it falls to unlikely heroes to prepare themselves for the most terrible of conflicts.

  • ...
12
 716
 2,826

Sneachta

“So,” Vino said, shielding his eyes from the glare of the sun on the snowdrifts, which had piled up on the sides of the Bower's main courtyard, “I take it you went with Lady Serale yesterday?”

Cobblestone looked at him strangely. “What makes you say that?” she asked curiously. “I mean, yeah, but how did you know?”

“Your new cloak,” Vino said, indicating the heavy red fabric wrapped around Cobblestone's neck, embroidered with vines in silver and gold, which billowed in the wind as they walked. “Somehow I doubt you paid for that on your own, or that you went to a shop to get it willingly.”

Cobblestone grimaced. “Yeah, Serale can get kind of intense when she thinks something is going to happen,” she said, clutching at the hood of her cloak, currently up against the cold. “We must have spent six hours yesterday going from shop to shop. I had to convince three mares in one shop that I didn't want my mane touched. Apparently short bobs are out this season.”

“It'd be nice to have long hair, what with this cold,” Vino said. As if on cue, a gust of cold mountain air whistled through the courtyard, and he could almost hear the snow freezing on the top of the drifts. “It makes sense, anyway.”

“Yeah, until you light it on fire because you forgot to account for ambient magic when lifting weights,” Cobblestone grumbled. “Being a mage involves a lot more exercise than I thought it would.”

Vino grinned at her. “That's more Magus Libra than anything. She and Lady Everstar share the same ideas of what a mage should be.”

“Well, Lady Everstar would know,” Cobblestone remarked. “Still, I have to admit I'm in the best shape I've been in for months. So maybe it's not all pointless.” She glanced at Vino quickly, her cheeks colored with the cold. “Speaking of exercise,” she said, “Invictus told me about being your second tomorrow. You know he doesn't have to ask me for every little thing, right?”

Vino's brow furrowed. “He said he'd need your permission,” he replied. “That's odd.”

Cobblestone snorted. “Don't get me wrong, I love Invictus like a brother, but he's got a stick up his arse a mile long. A few days ago he apologized because he wasn't there to watch my sword practice, as if he needed to be watching me at all times.”

“I thought that was his job,” Vino said. “Isn't he your guard?”

“More like a companion,” Cobblestone said. “A very big and scary one...” Her eyes narrowed as she saw a door swing open on the other side of the courtyard. “Hold on,” she said quickly, lowering the hood from her head.

Focusing, she lit her horn, blue magic shimmering around it, and Vino watched as a section of the packed snow on the roof cracked, sliding down the steep tiles to the ground below, catching a pair of uniformed guards under a pile of white powder and cutting their cries off mid-utterance. She grinned.

“Damn guards around here keep giving me the stinkeye,” she said. “I think they found out somehow what I did for a living before I was an apprentice. So I've taken to playing jokes on them.”

“Are you sure you should be doing that?” Vino asked. “What if one of them takes offense?”

“To an apprentice mage with no manners who's only barely got control of her magic?” Cobblestone retorted with a smirk. “Come off it. You're almost as bad as Invictus.”

Vino shook his head. Cobblestone was irrepressible as always. “I wish I was more like Invictus,” he said. “It'd do me a lot of good tomorrow.”

Cobblestone's crooked grin diminished somewhat. “A three in ten chance isn't so bad,” she said. “And Invictus is a bit of a pessimist, even at the best of times. I bet you're about even with that ponce.”

“Ponce?” Vino asked wryly. “Did Lady Serale teach you that one?”

“As a matter of fact, it was Libra,” Cobblestone sniffed. “She said it was inappropriate for me to use the phrase 'shithead' in polite company, so I learned a fancy swearword.”

Vino spluttered, trying to hold back a laugh. It was nice to have a bit of time off, and even nicer that Cobblestone was around to chat with him. It helped to take his mind off of the impending duel.

Cobblestone, seeing him pale a little bit, guessed what he was thinking of. “Come on,” she said, “If tomorrow really is your last day alive, it's not doing you any good to spend all of today moping around like you've got the pox. And if tomorrow isn't your last day, then you're going to wish you hadn't made such a big deal about it.”

“Captain Brightsteel is an amazing duelist,” Vino said. “I've watched him, and I'm sure he's been keeping an eye on me. There's no way I'm in his league. Not that Invictus hasn't been a huge help!” he cried, seeing the expression on Cobblestone's face. “Without him, I'd have no hope at all come tomorrow. It's just...it's best to be prepared, you know?”

“Did you let your family know yet?” Cobblestone asked. “At least Lady Hedera?”

Vino snorted. “Like she doesn't know already,” he said. “And Grappa and Fern...well, they don't need to worry about it. That's actually what's in the letter that Invictus is going to send. It's me explaining to them what's happened.”

“They deserve to hear it from you.”

“A letter is a lot more than they got the last time around,” Vino snapped, rounding on Cobblestone. The young unicorn, half his size, didn't flinch, though her hoof strayed perhaps a little to her side, where something might have been strapped.

“Last time?” she asked. “I take it this has happened before.”

Vino deflated. “Forget it,” he said. “Just forget it.”

Cobblestone rolled her eyes. “I'm not going to let you cry on my shoulder, but if you don't tell me what's wrong I'm going to hold you down and beat you until you do. Why didn't you at least make a call back home?”

“Because I couldn't handle putting my family through potentially losing another member,” Vino said. “Grappa and Fern don't know my mother, she died before father met Aura, obviously, but they remember my younger sister dying, and my father's death. They've heard enough about it.”

“You never told me you had a younger sister,” Cobblestone said. “But I know a little about your father. He was a soldier too, wasn't he?”

Vino nodded. “One of Lady Everstar's personal guards. Supposedly she showed a romantic interest in him, too, but he'd already fallen in love with mother when he took the job. He's the reason I decided to become a soldier instead of going to university like Aura recommended.”

“And he died?”

“In a boating accident,” Vino said, “After he had retired, after mother died. He thought Tannin and I deserved at least one parent, so he took over the family trade business and resigned his commission. He was overseeing a cotton shipment downriver to Crescent City when a boom caught him on the back of the head. He hit the water unconscious and drowned. Aura was there, saw the whole thing. She still refuses to talk about it.”

“Who was Tannin? Your sister?” Cobblestone asked.

Vino nodded. “I think she and father were closest of all of us, especially after mother died. She was young when he died, barely came into her magic. She refused to eat for days, then started trying to...well, she started trying to hurt herself. Eventually, it got so bad that she was institutionalized. Clerics couldn't do anything about it, she fought them at every step.”

Cobblestone shifted uneasily. She sympathized. “So she's still locked up?”

“She snuck out of her cell one night and threw herself into the river,” Vino said. “They never found her body, but a guard saw what happened. Didn't make a difference when it came to trying to stop her, though.”

“That's...that's rough,” Cobblestone said. “Sorry for bringing it up.”

“It's fine,” Vino said. “Father's death was tough, but Tannin had been hospitalized for months before I left home to become a squire. When she died, I hadn't seen her in years. She was practically a stranger.”

There was a silence, broken by the whisper of wind, the crunch of their hooves on the snow, and the muffled curses of the guards, still brushing snow off of themselves as they stumbled back inside. Cobblestone looked at Vino. “So I guess being a knight means a lot to you,” she said. “That whole 'defend the weak' and 'serve the Crown' angle. I think your father would be proud of you.”

“I hope so,” Vino said. “He was the one who approved of me becoming a knight. Mother wanted me to become a merchant like most everypony else in the House. Her idea of a compromise was me joining the navy or the merchant marine. I actually spent some time learning how to run a ship as a result.”

A particularly fierce gust of wind caused him to shudder and draw his jacket a bit closer. “I suppose there are worse ways to die,” he said morosely. “I could have drowned like my father and sister, or caught an illness like my mother did. If things don't go well tomorrow, then I'll have died serving Crown and country.”

Cobblestone rolled her eyes. “Quit talking like that,” she said. “Just kick him in the balls and shove your sword through his chest. Or just kick him in the balls.”

Vino forced back a laugh. “I think that'd go against the rules of the duel,” he said. “We're supposed to use swords only.”

Cobblestone shook her head, short-cropped mane swinging back and forth as she did so. “See, when I was living with a gang, things were simpler. If you wanted to kill somepony, you just got up your courage and did it. None of the rules, none of the restrictions. You civilized types only ever kill each other with swords or pistols, and that's only ever after waiting a month.”

The two of them came across a low wall, probably the foundation of a long-moved building, which grew higher as it went. Cobblestone gave a short hop, landing upon it easily. Stopping for only a moment to get her balance, she continued. “If you want, I can ask Serale to send you back to Starfall. That'd keep Captain Shinybritches or whatever his name is from spitting you like a fish.”

“Then you'd be criminals,” Vino said reasonably. “And then you'd be stuck here in Dawndale awaiting trial for aiding a fugitive.”

“Pfft. Like I haven't been there before,” Cobblestone said. “And I think that Princess Cadance might have a bit of an issue keeping us locked up all safe and cozy when we've got some of the most powerful mages in Equestria and sixty armed guards willing to fight it out with her Court.”

“And would you be one of those most powerful mages?” Vino teased. “I thought you were an apprentice who had trouble controlling her magic.”

“Keep in mind that I have spooky Fae magic,” Cobblestone said, wiggling her eyebrows mysteriously. “And an ancient warrior meant to take down the Lady herself. And a best friend who plays with ley lines. And a cat.”

“Aether forfend you unleash your cat on us,” Vino said with a laugh. “Although I believe you when you say that Invictus might prove a problem. He hits like a freight train.”

“I know,” Cobblestone retorted, “I've seen you two spar before. Someday, you might be able to make it a whole five minutes with him. Assuming he lets you live that long.”

“If I have to last five minutes in the ring with Invictus,” Vino said, “I'll find Captain Brightsteel and get it out of the way quickly.”

Cobblestone stumbled a bit as she glanced down at him. “Don't joke like that,” she said. “Please.”

Vino's expression turned somber. “Sorry,” he said. “I just...”

“This whole duel is rotten,” Cobblestone said. “And it's killing my mood too. Serale's been worried sick this whole week, which means I'm the one who's doing better in classes for a change. Plus I've had to help her homework, because she's...damn.”

“What?” Vino asked. “What's Lady Serale up to?” Is she alright? I can go reassure her if...”

“No,” Cobblestone said, “I don't think that'd help. And it's...well, shit. You didn't hear this from me, alright?”

Vino nodded.

“She's trying to come up with a way to help you during the duel. Discreetly. Something to do with tapping into a smallish ley line, giving you a little bit extra energy or some such.” Cobblestone held up a hoof, forestalling Vino's protest. “I told her you'd take it the wrong way. Just listen, alright?” She waited for Vino to close his mouth and hopped off of the wall, landing lightly on the snow. The two of them curled up near the corner, the wall to their backs to ward off the wind.

“I don't know if you noticed, but you've got more than a few admirers in the Court,” she said. “I guess Brightsteel's a bit of a skirtchaser, and some mares don't take kindly to that kind of thing, even here. Plus you're young, new, and...and handsome,” she said, blushing a bit. “Don't take that the wrong way, it's an observation. If it was any other captain, Serale might let this thing slide. But Brightsteel's got you outclassed, and Serale's known you for a long time, and I think she might kind of have a thing for you.”

Vino's jaw dropped. “Wh...what?”

“Easy there, lovebird,” Cobblestone said. “I don't even know if she knows. And it's jut a guess, based on a few conversations. But the fact is that she's got more than a little interest in keeping you safe, and there are more than a few ponies in the Court who wouldn't mind seeing Brightsteel taken down a peg. So, yeah, she's got something planned.”

Vino shook his head. “Cobblestone, I don't need help. I'm supposed to do my duty as a knight, and that means doing this on my own.”

“I thought your duty as a knight was to your Crown and country?” Cobblestone asked. “Or is getting killed tomorrow going to somehow keep Serale safe?”

“No, it isn't, but at least her honor will be intact,” Vino shot back.

“Her honor?” Cobblestone probed. “Or yours? Serale doesn't give a damn about some antiquated idea of morality. I mean, you're going to duel somepony tomorrow! We haven't done that in the Kingdom in a hundred years! And besides, your title as a knight goes both ways.”

Vino looked at her, unsure questions written across his face. “How do you mean?”

“The way I see it, and the way I think Serale might see it, you've got a duty to the Crown, right?” Cobblestone asked. Vino nodded. “Then doesn't the Crown have a duty to you, too? Shouldn't Serale do everything she can to help you and keep you safe like you do with her?”

Vino was silent, so Cobblestone probed further. “Come on, Vino,” she said urgently. “This whole thing is stupid, and pointless, and wrong. There's nothing dishonorable about accepting help, especially if it means keeping your Lady safe and happy. And you kept going on and on earlier about protecting the weak and the meaning of being a knight, so what's so bad about allowing somepony to help protect you?”

Vino frowned. “I don't recall talking about defending the weak all that much with you. In fact, the only pony I've really discussed it with was Fireball, earlier. Cobblestone, were you spying on me?”

“You're avoiding the question,” Cobblestone said.

“So are you.”

Cobblestone groaned. “No, Vino, I wasn't spying on you. If you don't believe me, you can ask Libra, or any of the dozen or so of Serale's guards that were in the courtyard with us for the entire morning. I've been working out all morning, and then I had lunch and came to meet you. Now answer the damn question.”

Vino looked at her, suddenly uneasy. He was almost completely sure that she was lying about not having been watching him. And yet, he was also just as sure that she was telling the truth about having been in the courtyard all morning. Unless she'd had somepony else watching him? But the hallway had been empty when he'd had the conversation with Fireball earlier....he shook his head. It wasn't worth following up.

“It's just not the way it's been done,” Vino said. “Duels are about you and your opponent, nothing else. No outside help, no interference.”

“As far as you know,” Cobblestone said, laying her head against the wall for a moment. “Can you really tell me nopony has ever used magic to cheat, just a little, in a duel? Hay, Captain Brightsteel's a unicorn himself. You think he isn't going to use every trick his magic can give him to try and kill you?”

“Look,” she continued, “The point is that Serale might try and do something unusual tomorrow. You don't have to agree with it, just be ready for it. She's doing it with your best interests at heart, to try and repay you for the service you're rendering her.”

It was a fair point, Vino realized. Unicorns usually made very good duelists, and Captain Brightsteel, while undoubtedly willing to adhere to the letter of the law during the duel, might very well violate the spirit using some trick or cantrip. Even a small thing like keeping his eyes from being hurt by the sun with his magic might give him a significant advantage over Vino, who had no such magic to fall back on.

Vino sighed. “I'm not going to agree to this,” he said, “But then, Serale's never asked my permission when she's got it into her head to do something. You said it yourself, she's stubborn when she decides something needs to be done. So, I'm not going to disagree with this either. I'd just ask that whatever help she does or doesn't decide to give is small. My honor might not mean much to you or her, but it means the world to me.”

Cobblestone nodded in agreement. “I'll pass it along,” she said. “Thanks for not being pigheaded about it.”

Vino stood, stretching as he did, and decided that if he wasn't going to have any say about what magic was used on him, he might as well register a protest now. His back hoof shot out, colliding with the stone wall, and a significant amount of snow shook and fell off of the top of the wall, landing quite unintentionally down the back of Cobblestone's hood and packing itself neatly against her neck. She shot up with a yelp, shaking herself furiously, snow flying everywhere.

“Oh, you're so going to pay for that,” she said, her horn lighting up. Vino's eyes widened as four, then eight, then fifteen or twenty snowballs packed themselves and rose into the air. Without waiting for Cobblestone to line up her shot, Vino took off across the courtyard, and Cobblestone followed closely behind, pelting him with snowballs all the way.