• Published 16th Mar 2015
  • 11,094 Views, 510 Comments

The Lies We Tell to Children - GaPJaxie



When Twilight is awake, Celestia is her teacher, and she a faithful student. But when Twilight shuts her eyes, another mare approaches, who teaches her a very different lesson.

  • ...
30
 510
 11,094

Happy Families

Two loud knocks sounded on Twilight’s bedroom door, a shuffling of hooves barely audible on the other side. “Knock knock!” called a stallion’s voice. “Anypony h-”

Shiny!” Twilight squealed, vanishing from her desk in a flash of purple light. Out in the hall, she appeared above Shining’s back, landing with a thump on top of his cadet uniform. He reared, she laughed, and her forelegs went around his neck for support as he tried -- not terribly hard -- to buck her off, his hooves clapping against the house’s hardwood floors all the way.

“Help! I think a witch got me!” Shining called, eliciting more laughter from the filly on his back. “No, wait. I think I got her! Hooah!” He bucked suddenly, and Twilight swung off his back, pulling around to his front until he could catch her with his magic. “Got you now you-!” He nickered. “Oh hey, Twiley. Where did you come from?”

“Noo, stop it!” Twilight giggled as Shining Armor ruffled her mane with a hoof. “I am not a witch!”

“Oh yeah? You’re just a cute little filly who likes showing off her magic tricks?” Shining asked. His voice cracked a little as he said it, but that had more to do with his age than anything. While his blue cadet uniform made him look mature, or at least disciplined, he hadn’t quite shaken off the awkwardness and acne of his teenage years. Nor did he look like he was fully done with childish things just yet, with his hat askance and a silly little grin on his face.

“Um…” Twilight scuffed the floor with a hoof, unsuccessfully trying to hide her smile, ears tilted back a few degrees. “Maybe.”

“Show me,” he urged. Twilight giggled and stamped her hooves, lifting her horn up to the air.

In a flash, she vanished, reappearing up the hall standing on one forehoof. She pushed off, and flew upwards to the ceiling, landing with a flourish, her hair tumbling upwards to align with gravity’s new direction. Finally, she summoned all her effort, a grunt escaping her as she visibly strained. Darkness coiled around her horn, and before Shining’s eyes, Twilight’s body transformed, boiling away into a cloud of blue mist. The cloud that was Twilight zipped down from the ceiling, whirled around him like a typhoon, and as he laughed, took solid form again in front of him, one leg held high in the air. “Ta-da!”

“No fair, Twiley! My little sister can’t go and become a real wizard before me.” Shining Armor lowered his head to look her right in the eye. “You give me no choice but to get big brother revenge.”

“What’s big broth-” Shining swept Twilight up off the floor, kicking open the door to her room to make way as he swung her through the air. “Aaah! No, stop it!” she laughed, as he whirled round and round with her held high over his shoulder. “Okay, okay! I give up!”

After one more spin for good measure, Shining launched Twilight clear off his shoulder and into the air. She shrieked and covered her eyes, only for him to catch her just as the height of her arc, and carefully lower her back to the floor. She beamed as brightly as she ever had, and hopped up towards him, jumping onto the little bench in front of her desk to gain just a little more height. “So, so. So so so so so, did you get it?”

“As if your big brother could fail you,” Shining pulled off his hat, reached into it, and pulled out the blue star-shaped pin he’d stashed there. Twilight let out a high pitched squeak as he attached it to his uniform, mounting it on the left side, just below the shoulder. “The officer’s academy just posted the acceptance list today. I’ve got leave for the next week, but when I go back…”

“You’re going to be in the royal guard!” The two shared another hug, and another laugh, and a bit more talk about magic and might and those mean old cadets who threw snowballs. Shining learned about what Twilight’s friends had been up to, her new crop of professors, and that Jump Cut’s dorky brother had finally gotten his cutie mark. All was joy and comfort, until a brief lull in the conversation.

“So,” Shining said, to fill the quiet, “What’s this I hear about my LSBFF going off to boarding school?”

Twilight's ears twitched, and she grumbled, the good cheer quickly fading from her expression. “Did Mom ask you to talk to me about this?”

“Maybe Mom mentioned it and I’m just curious,” Shining tried, but Twilight immediately let out a heavy sigh, crossed her hooves, and looked away. “Okay, okay.” He lifted a hoof. “You win. But at least tell me what you and Mom are fighting about?”

“She’s just making a really big deal out of nothing,” Twilight insisted. “Princess Celestia’s School for Gifted Unicorns has always been a boarding school. Most of the students stay there. Jump Cut’s my best friend and a straight-A student and her family lives in Manehattan.”

“Yeah…” Shining Armor agreed, drawing out the word. “But her family lives in Manehattan. So she has to stay there. Mom and Dad live right here. Doesn’t take half an hour to walk.”

“So I won’t be going far,” Twilight lifted her muzzle and crossed her forehooves, letting out a curt “Himph!” Shining crossed his own forehooves with a more skeptical expression, and a contest of wills ensued, the two staring eachother down for several long seconds. Finally, Twilight gave in, uncrossing her hooves and letting out a little sigh. “All the other students hang out in the dorms in the evening. I’m missing a perfectly good chance to study. Or… make friends and stuff.”

“But wouldn't you also be missing out on a perfectly good chance to spend time with your family?” Shining wheedled, and Twilight rolled her eyes. “Hey, hey.” He raised a hoof. “I left for a boarding school when I was your age, so I promise, I’m not just here to talk you out of it. But it’s hurting mom’s feelings and that’s not like my sweet little sister. So I just want to know what’s up. Is that okay?”

Twilight grumbled a moment, tilting her head from side to side. Finally though, she let out a breath, and looked Shining in the eye. “It’s just… I’ll need to get used to life in the palace eventually, won’t I?” she suggested. “Celestia is clearly grooming me for a role, and I want to do well. And she expects me to make friends, but I need to study and… well. I can’t keep being apart from the other students. She’s somepony worth changing myself for, and I need to be willing to do that.”

“Woah now.” Shining lowered his head a degree and twitched his ears. “What’s this about her grooming you?”

“Oh, come on.” Twilight rolled her eyes. “I’m twelve, Shiny. I’m not a little filly anymore! She took a huge personal interest in my education, she’s made sure I’m known around Canterlot, and she cares that I’m able to make close friendships with the other future wizards and noble children in attendance. That’s what a ruler does to groom an heir, but since Celestia isn’t going anywhere, she’s probably thinking of one of the viceroy positions. Court wizard, a governorship, scholar arcana, something like that.”

“Um…” Shining lifted a hoof to his face and gave a stiff smile. “I think you might be reading a little too much into things, Twiley. It’s not like Princess Celestia has said anything like that, has she?”

“No, of course she hasn’t. I’m twelve.” Twilight gave him a searching look, then relaxed and went on. “You don’t tell somepony they’re being groomed for a job. Then if they don’t get it, they’ll be angry and resentful and plot against the crown. That’s how you get insurrections. You keep two or three good prospects around, and hint to each of them that they might get it, and then let them compete to see which one is best.” Twilight let out a huff and kicked her legs against the side of the bed. Her eyes went down to the floor. “I mean, there’s still plenty of time for me to fail her.”

Shining whinnied, reaching over to rub his sister’s mane between the ears. “Okay. Twiley, where did that come from?” he asked, scooting closer to her. “I do not remember my LSBFF being that cynical when I left.”

“I don’t know,” Twilight said, quietly. “I…” She trailed off, and Shining pulled her close against his side. She leaned against him and, after a moment, went on. “It just happens. The other foals make fun of me for it too.”

“You know,” he urged, “I bet you could stop if you tried.”

“Of course I could!” Twilight snapped. Shining’s ears shot up, and she looked up at him with a worried face. He rubbed her mane again, and she shook her head. “Sorry. Sorry. I only meant… of course, I could. And it would probably make me happier, but that’s like, I could tell you what you want to hear so we can stop talking about this stupid stuff and go play outside. And that would make me happier but I’d still be lying to you because it’s not true.”

She took in a deep breath and let it out. “I wish I didn’t see things that way. Like, always seeing the worst in ponies? But I do. It’s like when I was little and went around telling all the other foals that Santa Hooves wasn’t real. I shouldn't have done that but I couldn’t not. It was the truth. And I just… I had to. And sometimes it’s the truth that ponies aren’t quite what they seem. And that’s not always a bad thing, but it’s…”

She trailed off, and Shining gave her a little nudge. “I believe you, Twiley,” he said, and after a moment, he added, “any other terrible revelations I should know about?”

“History is a lie the powerful perpetuate upon the foolish.”

“No. No.” Shining shook his head. “You are too young to start talking like that. Next you’ll be dying your coat black and changing your name to Heartbreak Futility.”

“No, Shining! I’m serious!” Twilight insisted, but it was hard for her to maintain her grim countenance while being viciously noogied, and soon she laughed. “Okay, okay!” They both shared a moment, and Shining helped her back down to her hooves.

“Twiley?” he said, leaning down to look at her head on. “I’m sorry you’re having some trouble with the other foals. You’re a very strange filly, in a lot of ways, but I wouldn’t change a thing about you. You’re perfect just the way you are.” He nudged her shoulder and gave a little grin. “And if you really want to go to boarding school, I’ll tell Mom I think it’s a good idea. Okay? But I want you to think about it. It would really hurt Mom’s feelings. She doesn’t want to lose you.”

“All parents lose their children in the end.” Twilight forcefully shrugged, looking off into the corner. “Mom should be happy that I’m going to go make something of myself. I know she regrets letting you go to boarding school, but I don’t see how her empty nest syndrome is our problem.”

Shining stared at Twilight for a long moment, his ears folding back a few degrees. “Twilight…” He started, only to trail off. There was a considerable pause before he was able to finish. “I… I want you to think about what you just said. Really think about it. And… think about this too, okay little sis? Even if Celestia is grooming you for something, do you think leaving your family is really what she wants?”

Twilight hesitated. Her ears twitched. “I mean, no, but…” She paused. “Princess Celestia… cares about me.”

Shining stared at Twilight for a long moment. She scuffed both her hooves together, and quickly said: “Come on! Let’s go play outside.”

She trotted out and down the steps without waiting for his reply.