• Published 16th Mar 2015
  • 11,077 Views, 510 Comments

The Lies We Tell to Children - GaPJaxie



When Twilight is awake, Celestia is her teacher, and she a faithful student. But when Twilight shuts her eyes, another mare approaches, who teaches her a very different lesson.

  • ...
30
 510
 11,077

Destiny

A pony sat next to Twilight on the bench. They were about the same age, both in that awkward teenage phase when their limbs seemed slightly too long for their bodies, and even their furry coats couldn’t quite hide the occasional bout of acne. They were both unicorns, and both brushed and prepared as the well to do of Canterlot preferred. About the only difference between them was their cutie marks, and that while Twilight was purple, this mare was white.

“You’re…” Twilight’s brow furrowed. “Rarity, right?”

“Yes,” the other mare said. She paused, and seemed confused in her turn. “Have you met me before?”

“No. I don’t think so.”

A silence hung between them. “But, you’re Twilight,” Rarity said. “I mean, that’s your name.”

“Yeah,” Twilight agreed. “Have you met me before?”

“No.” Rarity gave a small shake of her head. She had a bit of an accent, Twilight noticed. She sounded rural, adding a twang to the end of her words. It contrasted sharply with her proper makeup and preparation. “To be perfectly honest, I’m not even sure why I came here. This is my one day visiting Canterlot without my parents about. There are all sorts of places I should be going. And I don’t tend to favor parks.”

“I don’t like this park either. The one closer to the palace is much nicer.” Twilight looked off into the distance. There was a duck pond, and some fillies playing with their mother on its banks. In the distance, a group of stallions were playing with a frisbee. “It felt right though.”

“It has a certain charm,” Rarity agreed. Then she reached into her bag. “I made you something.”

Out of her bag, she pulled a mane clip. It was decorated with jewels, depicting one large star, surrounded by five others. “It’s your cutie mark.”

She handed it to Twilight, and Twilight put it in her mane. It clipped neatly behind her left ear. The stones blended in with her hair, and the end result was not exceptionally gaudy or eye-catching. It looked good, but simple. Something she might wear every day. “It’s very nice. Did you make it yourself?”

Rarity nodded. The two sat in silence for a time.

“The stars will aid in her escape,” Rarity said.

Then, she left. And Twilight was alone on the bench.