• Published 8th May 2012
  • 7,968 Views, 1,390 Comments

Antecedent - Anonymous Pegasus



Raindrop needs to reunite the Elements of Harmony to cure herself of her affliction. But the journey will become so much than the destination.

  • ...
26
 1,390
 7,968

Request

Wisp hummed happily to herself as she toyed with a new piece of old technology, rolling it over and over in her paws and peeking at it. She was sitting in the courtyard off of the main palace itself, in what appeared to be a junk yard. Truthfully, Wisp had just demanded ‘amusement items’ and told Celestia that she was quite interested in old tech. Five hours later, she’d been given a veritable treasure trove of old devices originating from both griffons and ponies.

A cool breeze was rustling her feathers, and the end of her red-and-yellow banded scarf trailed in the wind as she worked, her gaze intent.

Still, the young griffon wore her eyepatch. It was a habit thing more than anything now. Previously, she had used it when she was working on the airship. When she was inside the airship, in the dark, she would cover her left eye with the patch, and when she went outside, she would cover her right. That way, as soon as she was inside the ship and swapped the eye patch over, her eye was already adjusted to the dark. It was an old seafarers trick.

Firebrand was going absolutely stir crazy. Just the knowledge that she wasn’t allowed to go out and fly around as she wished was torture in and of itself. It made her want to do exactly that, but she restrained herself. Without her flight uniform on, the Wonderbolt captain was startlingly white, and with her red mane and tail, she really did look like she was ablaze. Annoyed pink eyes watched Wisp as she worked at her little machines, trying to fathom what she was doing.

Eventually, it got too much for Firebrand, and she slipped down to the courtyard to watch the griffon closer.

“Wanna see?” Wisp offered cheerfully, holding out a strange device that seemed to be no more than switches connected with tubing.

“I find it very... boring,” Firebrand stated.

Wisp shrugged and gave a smile, “Can’t expect everyone to like old tech!”

“What is your name?” Firebrand asked suddenly.

“I’m Wisp, who’re you?” the griffon asked, looking up from her device.

“I’m Firebrand. I’m the Element of Honesty,” she replied with a slight incline of her head.

“Ever gone down on a pony before?” Wisp asked innocently.

Firebrand’s eyes widened and she flustered, “W-what?! I-I... That’s hardly a question for a young griffon to ask!”

“So you really are honest,” Wisp said coolly, grinning up at Firebrand with an oh-so-innocent expression. “Just how old do you think I am?”

“Not old enough to ask that question of someone you just met!” Firebrand replied heatedly, her cheeks flushed, the colour highly visible on her white hide.

“I was just checkin’ that you were truthful,” Wisp said with a nod and a grin, “And you didn’t deny it immediately like most ponies would. So I figure you’re truthful. Also, I’m likely older than you are... I’m just a runt.”

“That is hardly a word I would choose to call myself if I were in your position,” Firebrand stated, staring at the griffon.

Wisp shrugged faintly, “I am what I am. The labels ponies and griffons put on me don’t mean much more than words.”

Firebrand paused at that, and then looked the diminutive griffon up and down for a moment, and then said guardedly, “Why do I feel as though I could learn much from you?”

Wisp grinned at that, and then patted the ground beside her, “Well first off, come here and I’ll show you a steam gauge works!”


The tranquility of the moment was broken by a single, jarring statement. “If you get sappy on me, I’m going to beat it out of you.”

Sentinel gave a faint laugh, leaning down to nuzzle gently at Raindrop’s neck, humming quite happily in the back of his throat.

“And if you say the ‘M’ word, I will also beat you until you forget the meaning of the word. There are to be no ‘cutesy wutesey’ nicknames, no schmoopy doopy do, no sickeningly sweet platitudes, none of that, understood?” Raindrop asked, her eyes narrowed up at him.

Sentinel’s ears splayed backwards, and he pouted at her. “Not even ‘Rainy’?”

“Not even ‘Rainy’!” Raindrop protested, swatting at him with a hoof.

The guard was unperturbed, his ears splaying back further as he tilted his head down a little bit, letting his eyes widen, his bottom lip beginning to quiver. “But... But... Not even if I ask nicely?”

Raindrop splayed her own ears back, wincing at the expression on the guards face. “Nope. I’m a rock on this subject.”

“Pweeease?” Sentinel implored, gently touching at her shoulder with a hoof in a placating motion. “Don’t make me beg...”

Raindrop scrunched her hooves up and then threw them in the air, giving a huff. “Fine! But Rainy is the only nickname you can use!”

Sentinel immediately grinned, nuzzling against her nose with his own for a moment. “No one can resist the cute eyes.”

“You are so manipulative,” Raindrop said with a slow shake of her head.

“Isn’t it awesome?” Sentinel asked with a sly grin.

“It won’t be if you use it on me too often,” Raindrop warned, pulling him in for a kiss, and squeezing him with her hooves tightly. “If you break my heart I’ll break your bones.”

“I know, Rainy,” Sentinel said with a grin, drawing back and bopping her on the nose with a hoof, instantly causing the mare to deflate.

“And when I want sex, I get it. I don’t want any of this female recalcitrance you keep exhibiting!” Raindrop stated, stamping her hoof firmly.

“I solemnly promise that I will try my utmost not to be female,” Sentinel said with a serious salute.

Raindrop rolled her eyes and shook her head, nudging him once with her nose and wrapping her hooves around him, holding him close.

“Any more rules I need to be aware of?” Sentinel asked, perking an ear at her.

Raindrop shook her head, “Not that I can think of off the top of my head.”

The mare paused for a moment, and then her ears pinned back as she asked delicately, “U-uhm... Is there anything I need to do?”

Sentinel looked at her for a moment, and then shook his head, going quiet for a moment.

“There’s something you want me to do but are too afraid to ask, isn’t there?” Raindrop asked after a moment.

Sentinel snorted faintly and then nodded. “Yeah. But you’ll just think it’s stupid.”

Raindrop shook her head, gently pulling him around to face her again. “Try me. I won’t laugh, I promise.”

“Well... It’s just...” Sentinel trailed off, unsure how to phrase it, and too embarrassed to just ask for it.

“It’s some kind of freaky fetish, isn’t it?” Raindrop asked, her ears pinning back.

“No!” Sentinel said immediately, lowering his head a little bit, a pained expression crossing his face. He licked his lips a moment, trying to gather his courage, and then murmured faintly, “J-just... Once in a while... I want you to tell me that you love me...”

The stallion then buried his head in his hooves.

Raindrop blinked a little bit, recoiling at his request, her tone mildly hurt as she asked, “You don’t believe me?”

Sentinel shifted his hooves, and then shook his head gently at her. “No, it’s not that... I just... I like to hear it. It makes me feel... complete.”

Raindrop stared down at the guard, and she felt her heart just melt at the reasoning behind the request, inexplicable tears springing into her eyes again. She leaned down and pushed Sentinel’s hooves away from his face and then hugged him fiercely.

“That is the most female thing I have ever heard,” Raindrop accused, nuzzling against him fervently, and then pulling him up to stare into his eyes as she smiled and rested her nose against his own. “I love you.”