• Published 8th May 2012
  • 7,965 Views, 1,390 Comments

Antecedent - Anonymous Pegasus



Raindrop needs to reunite the Elements of Harmony to cure herself of her affliction. But the journey will become so much than the destination.

  • ...
26
 1,390
 7,965

Double Date

Remedy adjusted her mane nervously, dancing in place with uncharacteristic anxiousness. It was 6:45, and she had already been in position for a full five minutes. Somehow, the prospect of going on a date with Firebrand disturbed her. If it wasn’t for that fact that she was the element of honesty, then Remedy would have just not shown up at all, for fear that it was all some kind of ruse or game.

Even now, she just wanted to turn around and go back to the castle. There were so many better things she could do than stand around waiting for Firebrand, or watching the pegasus gorge herself at some buffet or whatever it was she had planned.

Remedy was a moment away from leaving when a flurry of movement appeared besides her. Firebrand, having winged her way over the castle walls.

“Hiyas!” Firebrand said cheerfully, stepping over towards the nurse, “I see you didn’t stand me up!”

Remedy blinked once, eyes widening.

The pegasus’ white body was covered in long, flowing orange, multi-layered tresses that terminated in a very fancy white frills. Her mane and tail were unbound, the red contrasting well with the colours of her dress. Her entire form conveyed warmth and energy: as though she were alight. And she looked good.

After several moments, Firebrand raised a brow, “Is this okay? It’s not... silly, is it?”

Remedy blinked once, and then shook her head mutely.

Firebrand looked Remedy up and down in return: the nurse was wearing a simple short pink dress and had a flower behind one ear, tucked into a lock of her pink mane.

“You look... nice,” Firebrand said awkwardly.

“Nice?” Remedy asked, snorting once. “That’s it?”

Firebrand bit her bottom lip, and then gave a helpless shrug of her shoulders. “The first word to come to mind was ‘attractive’, and then ‘sexy’, but I settled with ‘nice’ because it was the most socially acceptable.”

The nurse blinked at that, and then smiled. “Well, you look positively ravishing. I’m afraid you’re going to look pretty bad stuck with this tacky nurse tagging along. Where’re you taking me anyhow?”

“To see a play at the Blueblood Theatre!” Firebrand said brightly, “It’s supposed to be the next big thing!”

Remedy’s expression turned uncertain, and she peered at Firebrand. “A movie?”

Firebrand gave a grin at that, and then waved a hoof, before leaning closer and whispering conspiratorially, “I got us the skybox, so we’ll be all alone, with a bottle of wine. We don’t even have to watch the show!”

The nurse paused at that, raising a brow at Firebrand suspiciously. “And how did you manage to get tickets to the skybox?”

The pegasus gave the nurse a stare. “I’m the Captain of the Wonderbolts,” she said with a faint giggle. “I could get basically anything I want.”

Remedy gave a nod at that, and then perked a single ear upwards. “And yet you choose the changeling to go on a date with?”

“Anything I want,” Firebrand said with a grin, wiggling a hoof at the other mare.


“So were you serious about the dinner and a movie thing?” Raindrop asked, as she straightened up her mane. She didn’t have any fancy dress to put on, and Sentinel wasn’t one to dress up in anything other than armor.

“Sure was!” Sentinel said with a grin.

The two of them were walking down the road towards the amphitheatre, side-by-side.

“You are such a mare,” Raindrop accused, shaking her head at the guard.

“But you love me nonetheless,” Sentinel replied with a sly grin.

Raindrop rolled her eyes, “Somehow.”

Sentinel stepped closer to her, and his wing extended lightly touching at her own, before the pinions wended their way through her wing and tugged it out to hold the interlocked feathers together.

Raindrop paused at that, her cheeks flushing with warmth. The reassuring sensation of his feathers interlocking with her own so perfectly was something that she had never expected to feel.

Sentinel raised a brow at her, “Raindrop... are you okay?”

Raindrop blinked once, swallowing past the sudden lump in her throat, and nodding jerkily. “Y-yeah, it’s nothing.”

The guard leaned in to peer at her closely, head tilting to one side slightly. “Are you sure? You’re not about to get sappy on me, are you?”

Raindrop silenced him with a furious, intense kiss, holding his cheek with a hoof to keep him from pulling away. “I just love you so much right now,” she almost sobbed.

Sentinel blinked, bewildered, staring at her as she let him go. “...Sure you’re fine?”

Raindrop pursed her lips, looking away for a moment. “I just... it’s stupid. It’s silly. Forget it.”

Shaking his head, Sentinel squeezed her feathers with his own reassuringly, “You can tell me, Raindrop. I’m your coltfriend, after all.”

Taking a deep breath, Raindrop bounced slightly in place, agitated, and then peered sideways at Sentinel, biting her lower lip. “I just... when I was with Shine, I was always wishing, somewhere deep down, that I could just take his wing in my own... It’s stupid, I know. It’s just... It’s just a winghold. But it felt more important than that to me...”

“Shine was a unicorn, right?” Sentinel queried, squeezing her feathers gently.

“Yeah... which just made it all the more stupid,” Raindrop said with a rueful smile. “It’s childish...”

“No it’s not,” Sentinel assured, smiling and wrapping his hooves around her shoulders in a hug. “You’re just a mare, is all.”

“But you’re the mare in this relationship,” Raindrop stated, blinking once.

“I know, but you’re muscling me out of my spot. Now shush, or we’ll be late. You can sob on my shoulder and cry and do all that mare-ish stuff when we’re at the theatre.”


A small explosion rocked the upper floor of the Canterlot Palace, sending the guards and visitors rushing this way and that to take cover or try to find the source of the disturbance.

A small griffon wearing an eyepatch, covered in a fine dusting of white plaster powder, and with wood chips in her crest.

“I think I used too much!” Wisp squeaked to Princess Celestia, a grin plastered across her beak.

“It was sufficient,” Celestia said with a bow. “I trust you enjoyed the process?”

Wisp nodded eagerly, bouncing in place. “I’ve been wanting to try them out on something for a while now!”

Celestia gave a knowing smile.

Chitin waited until Wisp had disappeared down the nearby staircase and headed towards her personal quarters, before arching a brow at Celestia. “You did not really require the door to be blown apart, did you?”

Celestia smiled. “Of course not, I could have unlocked it with magic.”

“And yet you asked the tiny bouncy one to blow it apart?” Chitin asked flatly.

The princess nodded again. “Indeed. It brings joy to her heart.”

“You could have just unlocked it,” Chitin stated flatly.

“And then Wisp would not have been happy,” Celestia replied simply.


The amphitheatre was a recent construction built using the finest unicorns’ magics after a fire claimed the original Blueblood Theatre. It was a giant half-circle construction, with many layered tiers as seating for those who wished to view the movies that played on the large wall in the centre of the theatre. The entire upper tier of the amphitheatre was set out as a restaurant, one of the best in Centerlot, serving fine wine and food to those who were wealthy enough to afford it.

The prized jewel of the theatre were the skyboxes: A trio of box-shaped rooms lined with red velvet suspended above the amphitheatre below, with a perfect view of the screen. Magically suspended on pylon’s specifically farmed from the same rock as that which held up the Cloudsdale buildings, they were rock-steady and safe. A long staircase ascended to each box. The boxes themselves were private, cozy, with indirect lighting controlled by a console inside the box giving them a soft, warm feel.

“I’ve never been somewhere anywhere near this fancy,” Remedy whispered to Firebrand.

Firebrand just giggled, and then whispered in response, “I’m a regular.”


Sentinel pulled Raindrop’s chair out for her, smiling.

They were on the top floor of the amphitheatre, getting settled in to eat dinner and watch the movie.

Raindrop sat down, smiling at Sentinel, and he moved to sit down as well, before pausing, blinking once.

“Raindrop. Is that... Remedy and Firebrand?” Sentinel asked, pointing with a hoof.

Raindrop turned, leaned to the side and stared, raising a brow slowly. “Why... yes. Yes it is.”

Just then, the two mares who were ascending the stairs caught sight of Raindrop and Sentinel at the table.